Police used tear gas to clear protesters from Lafayette park so Trump could take a photo at St. John

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Bingo! There's always more to a story than what is originally reported, particularly by partisans. I told people last week to calm down and wait to find out what actually happened to George Floyd, especially how things got to the point where he had a knee in the neck. There's always more to a story than what is depicted by a video that doesn't start until halfway into an incident. Sometimes we discover the story is worse than we thought, other times we discover the story wasn't what we thought at all. It's best to withhold judgment.

There were four officers present when Floyd was killed. Three of the officers witnessed a murder occurring. Why didn’t one of the three order the fourth officer to get off Floyd. If the officer refused to get off Floyd, guns should have been pulled and pointed at him and he should have been shot if necessary. Police don’t have a right to commit murder.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There were four officers present when Floyd was killed. Three of the officers witnessed a murder occurring. Why didn’t one of the three order the fourth officer to get off Floyd. If the officer refused to get off Floyd, guns should have been pulled and pointed at him and he should have been shot if necessary. Police don’t have a right to commit murder.
I agree that the cops have no right to murder someone. That's why I don't think this is 1st degree murder. Those other three cops had no idea Floyd was going to die, which is why they weren't more forceful in trying to get the cop off his neck. I think this case is manslaughter every day of the week, murder I'm more iffy on based on the language of the Minnesota statute.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All I'm saying is that there's always more to the story and as Christians we should judge righteously with all of the evidence. That means not getting worked up over videos people post on Twitter, it means waiting until the facts come out.
The facts are out. There is first hand testimony from the bishop who was on site, have you read it? There are multiple witnesses claiming the gas was irritating to their respiratory systems. Have you read them? There is a photo of the canister the police threw, have you seen it? People were coughing. Yet you choose to believe the one statement from the defendant over numerous statements from the accusers. Sounds to me like you are giving far more weight to the word of the cop than the protester or bishop. Why is that?

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree that the cops have no right to murder someone. That's why I don't think this is 1st degree murder. Those other three cops had no idea Floyd was going to die, which is why they weren't more forceful in trying to get the cop off his neck. I think this case is manslaughter every day of the week, murder I'm more iffy on based on the language of the Minnesota statute.
They didn’t know he was going to die? I don’t buy that. Those other three cops stood and watched while while one officer held his knee on Floyd’s neck for over 8 minutes. They heard him say he couldn’t breath. If a person has his air cut off for that long he will die. One of them should have ordered the officer to stop, and he should have pulled his service revolver if he refused. They all kept their mouths shut and did nothing.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Those other three cops had no idea Floyd was going to die,
Hey, one of then took his pulse - it may have been to late then - however it is a hard case to argue that they were simply bystanders.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey, one of then took his pulse - it may have been to late then - however it is a hard case to argue that they were simply bystanders.
One cop was concerned and asked to turn. Floyd on his side. Chauvin refused.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The facts are out. There is first hand testimony from the bishop who was on site, have you read it? There are multiple witnesses claiming the gas was irritating to their respiratory systems. Have you read them? There is a photo of the canister the police threw, have you seen it? People were coughing. Yet you choose to believe the one statement from the defendant over numerous statements from the accusers. Sounds to me like you are giving far more weight to the word of the cop than the protester or bishop. Why is that?
The feds say they did not use tear gas, only smoke bombs were used. That makes sense because less than 30 minutes later Trump walked over there without any irritation to his eyes. The residue of tear gas would have still been in the air and would have bother him, the secret service and all the media who went over there.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
They didn’t know he was going to die? I don’t buy that. Those other three cops stood and watched while while one officer held his knee on Floyd’s neck for over 8 minutes. They heard him say he couldn’t breath. If a person has his air cut off for that long he will die. One of them should have ordered the officer to stop, and he should have pulled his service revolver if he refused. They all kept their mouths shut and did nothing.
I hate defending cops but Floyd resisted arrest which is probably why the other three weren't particularly bothered by what was happening. I also think they were focused on the growing crowd and traffic control, at least for a portion of the time. The case against them is going to be much more difficult to win.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How was he resisting??

I hate defending cops but Floyd resisted arrest which is probably why the other three weren't particularly bothered by what was happening. I also think they were focused on the growing crowd and traffic control, at least for a portion of the time. The case against them is going to be much more difficult to win.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No, they weren't bystanders but they were doing other things as part of the arrest. I think the charge against Chauvin is much easier to prove, though Ellison may be over charging him. I see it's up to 2nd degree murder now. Hopefully there is evidence out there to prove that charge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, they weren't bystanders but they were doing other things as part of the arrest. I think the charge against Chauvin is much easier to prove, though Ellison may be over charging him. I see it's up to 2nd degree murder now. Hopefully there is evidence out there to prove that charge.
Actually if you look at the statutes, 2nd degree is probably easier to prove in this case.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Police departments all over the country started clearing protesters out in advance of curfews yesterday. These folks in DC weren't peaceful, they were throwing rocks and other things at the police. I could have done without the Trumpian photo op but it was hardly out of bounds.

Reuters has posted two hours of unedited footage from the park including about a half hour before the police charged the protesters. Throughout the entire period, protesters are peaceful and no warning or instructions to move are detectable.

The police may have given some instructions to somebody, but as in many other cases in the past, they seem to have exerted barely enough effort to cover their own backsides rather than actually communicate anything to the people.

In this case, the cops were the thugs assaulting people.

• Informative
Reactions: agapelove
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Actually if you look at the statutes, 2nd degree is probably easier to prove in this case.
I just read some analysis of Minnesota case law which suggests that he is not guilty of 3rd degree murder because according to their Supreme Court a person can't be guilty if their focus was on one particular person. Essentially 3rd degree murder is for drunk drivers who put the community at risk rather than one specifiic person.

My concern with 2nd degree is that it has two prongs. One is intentional killing, which I think will be extremely difficult to prove here. Much like premeditation, there is no evidence Chauvin intended to kill Floyd.

The other prong is unintentional while committing another felony. Essentially felony murder, similar to those nut cases down in Georgia with that kid jogger. What is the other felony here? Felonious assault perhaps but that seems like a tenuous argument to make to a jury. All arrests could be considered felonious assault no matter how justified.

The biggest problem in these cases is over charging the cop because juries tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. I really hope they maintain the charge of manslaughter, it's the safest bet for conviction.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This "report" of Business Insider is very incomplete. At some point, the crowd was warned three times that they had to clear the park. Then, Pres. Trump gave his Rose Garden speech (President Donald Trump's June 1 Anti-Riot Speech) against rioters and for justice in George Floyd's death.

St. John's Church was partly burned by rioters the night before, so Trump was correct to bring that to people's attention. Instead, the media like Business Insider said it was a "photo-op." Then, Trump went to the John Paul II memorial to sign an executive order for religious freedom.

In interpreting Scripture and people's actions, it's always important to know the context, which news media doesn't seem to understand nowadays. Take this observation from a retired English teacher and pastor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This "report" of Business Insider is very incomplete. At some point, the crowd was warned three times that they had to clear the park. Then, Pres. Trump gave his Rose Garden speech (President Donald Trump's June 1 Anti-Riot Speech) against rioters and for justice in George Floyd's death.

St. John's Church was partly burned by rioters the night before, so Trump was correct to bring that to people's attention. Instead, the media like Business Insider said it was a "photo-op." Then, Trump went to the John Paul II memorial to sign an executive order for religious freedom.

In interpreting Scripture and people's actions, it's always important to know the context, which news media doesn't seem to understand nowadays. Take this observation from a retired English teacher and pastor.

I challenge you or anybody else to find in the video I linked above where the protesters were instructed to leave the park.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just read some analysis of Minnesota case law which suggests that he is not guilty of 3rd degree murder because according to their Supreme Court a person can't be guilty if their focus was on one particular person. Essentially 3rd degree murder is for drunk drivers who put the community at risk rather than one specifiic person.

Yes, I’m aware of that. That’s why I said that 2nd was the better charge.
My concern with 2nd degree is that it has two prongs. One is intentional killing, which I think will be extremely difficult to prove here. Much like premeditation, there is no evidence Chauvin intended to kill Floyd.

The other prong is unintentional while committing another felony. Essentially felony murder, similar to those nut cases down in Georgia with that kid jogger. What is the other felony here? Felonious assault perhaps but that seems like a tenuous argument to make to a jury. All arrests could be considered felonious assault no matter how justified.

Remind me not to hire you as my defense attorney. 2nd degree murder as charged here does not require intent. He is being charged that he killed Floyd without intent in the course of committing assault in the third degree. It’s called felony murder.

The biggest problem in these cases is over charging the cop because juries tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. I really hope they maintain the charge of manslaughter, it's the safest bet for conviction.

I don’t know that any jury will give this murderer the benefit of the doubt.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I’m aware of that. That’s why I said that 2nd was the better charge.

Remind me not to hire you as my defense attorney. 2nd degree murder as charged here does not require intent. He is being charged that he killed Floyd without intent in the course of committing assault in the third degree. It’s called felony murder.

I don’t know that any jury will give this murderer the benefit of the doubt.
I know it's called felony murder. I think it's going to be incredibly difficult to prove a cop committed a felonious assault here and defense counsel may have a field day with such an accusation. This is not a slam dunk case for the prosecutor.

I would encourage you NOT to hire me as your criminal defense attorney. I don't practice in criminal defense and while I'm familiar with criminal law I would rather you hire someone more expert in that area. If you are sued over a car crash or some sort of personal injury or property damage I'm the guy to call. I'm a civil defense litigator expert in that area of the law.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know it's called felony murder. I think it's going to be incredibly difficult to prove a cop committed a felonious assault here and defense counsel may have a field day with such an accusation. This is not a slam dunk case for the prosecutor.

No, but as I said it will be much easier than 3rd degree.

I would encourage you NOT to hire me as your criminal defense attorney. I don't practice in criminal defense and while I'm familiar with criminal law I would rather you hire someone more expert in that area. If you are sued over a car crash or some sort of personal injury or property damage I'm the guy to call. I'm a civil defense litigator expert in that area of the law.

I did some criminal work, but I’ve been safely tucked away in academia for over 30 years. Much has changed since I was last in a courtroom.

Upvote 0