Police used tear gas to clear protesters from Lafayette park so Trump could take a photo at St. John

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Things that will help fix the problem include, love, listening and respect for each other.
There's not much loving going on as cities burn to the ground. The Minneapolis mayor tried the "back off and give space" approach and now the entire south side of his city is in ruins. The victims are the residents of those neighborhoods.

Throwing bricks and bottles full of urine at police and National Guard soldiers is not very loving as well. Law and Order needs to be re-established in those cities and POTUS is right, most governors and mayors have failed. They failed to protect the very people who live in the neighborhoods ravaged by violent actors.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Police departments all over the country started clearing protesters out in advance of curfews yesterday. These folks in DC weren't peaceful, they were throwing rocks and other things at the police. I could have done without the Trumpian photo op but it was hardly out of bounds.
Well apparently there is more to the story as you indicated. Always good to wait for all the facts before drawing conclusions as most of the media and this OP do often.

Attorney General Bill Barr ordered law enforcement officials to extend the perimeter of Lafayette Square before President Trump ventured outside the White House on Monday to visit sites vandalized during violent protests, administration officials tell Fox News.

According to one senior administration official, the plan had been made to extend the perimeter of the park -- which is across the street from the White House -- by one block. Both peaceful and violent protests have taken place at Lafayette Square in recent days.

The order was executed Monday afternoon just minutes before the president gave a public address on the nationwide unrest following the death of George Floyd. The act -- which came shortly before a city curfew went into effect -- has ignited outrage from critics who claim protesters were moved so the president could participate in a photo opportunity.

But a senior Justice Department official told Fox News the decision was made early Monday morning after the Treasury Department and St. John’s Church -- which are both in the area -- were vandalized the night before.

The decision was first reported by the Washington Post.

On Monday afternoon, according to an official, Barr went to survey the scene. But after arriving, the source said, he was upset to find out the perimeter had not been widened like it was supposed to be earlier in the day. Barr, who was surrounded by his security detail, toured the police line keeping the protestors at bay while demonstrators shouted at him. The night before, fires were started and buildings were vandalized in the area.

Someone threw a bottle at Barr when he was there, the official said. He gave the order to move people out before the president arrived. Shortly after, police mounted on horses used smoke to move protesters demonstrating against police brutality.

But a local news outlet in D.C. reported Tuesday that sources at the U.S. Park Police told them the park was cleared because some protesters were attacking police officers.

And while many critics claimed tear gas was used, the Park Police told WTOP it was smoke canisters that were deployed.

Later Tuesday, the Park Police went on the record to deny that tear gas was used, while also saying “violent protestors” began throwing projectiles including “bricks, frozen water bottles and caustic liquids” before officers dispersed the crowd.

“No tear gas was used by USPP officers or other assisting law enforcement partners to close the area at Lafayette Park,” United States Park Police acting Chief Gregory T. Monahan said.

The developments came after Trump and Barr encouraged more aggressive action against those who cause violence during protests across the country following Floyd's death.

On Tuesday, Barr touted a “more peaceful night” in Washington, D.C., after six days of protests, praising law enforcement for “restoring order.”

“Last night was a more peaceful night in the District of Columbia. Working together, federal and local law enforcement made significant progress in restoring order to the nation’s capital,” Barr said in a statement.

He praised the D.C. police department, the Department of Defense and the D.C. National Guard for their support in quelling riots, as well as the FBI, Secret Service, ATF, DEA, Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Marshals Service, Capitol Police, Department of Homeland Security’s CBP and Border Patrol units.

The attorney general said that law enforcement would be out in even greater force on Tuesday night. “There will be even greater law enforcement resources and support in the region tonight,” said Barr. “The most basic function of government is to provide security for people to live their lives and exercise their rights, and we will meet that responsibility here in the nation’s capital.”

Barr told the state leaders earlier in the day that law enforcement officials must “have adequate force” and “go after troublemakers.”

Barr ordered officials to clear area around Lafayette Square before Trump’s protest remarks, officials say

Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What an odd response. Someone is entitled to their opinion. Correct.

Such you disagree with their opinion you accuse them of viewing you as a lesser Christian.

That's quite a leap.
I asked if churches with Bibles in the pews were better than those without Bibles in the pews. He replied “absolutely.” I cant change what he said.

He and I agreed to drop the matter as it does not fit on this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well apparently there is more to the story as you indicated. Always good to wait for all the facts before drawing conclusions as most of the media and this OP do often.

Attorney General Bill Barr ordered law enforcement officials to extend the perimeter of Lafayette Square before President Trump ventured outside the White House on Monday to visit sites vandalized during violent protests, administration officials tell Fox News.

According to one senior administration official, the plan had been made to extend the perimeter of the park -- which is across the street from the White House -- by one block. Both peaceful and violent protests have taken place at Lafayette Square in recent days.

The order was executed Monday afternoon just minutes before the president gave a public address on the nationwide unrest following the death of George Floyd. The act -- which came shortly before a city curfew went into effect -- has ignited outrage from critics who claim protesters were moved so the president could participate in a photo opportunity.

But a senior Justice Department official told Fox News the decision was made early Monday morning after the Treasury Department and St. John’s Church -- which are both in the area -- were vandalized the night before.

On Monday afternoon, according to an official, Barr went to survey the scene. But after arriving, the source said, he was upset to find out the perimeter had not been widened like it was supposed to be earlier in the day. Barr, who was surrounded by his security detail, toured the police line keeping the protestors at bay while demonstrators shouted at him. The night before, fires were started and buildings were vandalized in the area.

Someone threw a bottle at Barr when he was there, the official said. He gave the order to move people out before the president arrived. Shortly after, police mounted on horses used smoke to move protesters demonstrating against police brutality.

But a local news outlet in D.C. reported Tuesday that sources at the U.S. Park Police told them the park was cleared because some protesters were attacking police officers.

And while many critics claimed tear gas was used, the Park Police told WTOP it was smoke canisters that were deployed.

Later Tuesday, the Park Police went on the record to deny that tear gas was used, while also saying “violent protestors” began throwing projectiles including “bricks, frozen water bottles and caustic liquids” before officers dispersed the crowd.

“No tear gas was used by USPP officers or other assisting law enforcement partners to close the area at Lafayette Park,” United States Park Police acting Chief Gregory T. Monahan said.

The developments came after Trump and Barr encouraged more aggressive action against those who cause violence during protests across the country following Floyd's death.

On Tuesday, Barr touted a “more peaceful night” in Washington, D.C., after six days of protests, praising law enforcement for “restoring order.”

“Last night was a more peaceful night in the District of Columbia. Working together, federal and local law enforcement made significant progress in restoring order to the nation’s capital,” Barr said in a statement.

He praised the D.C. police department, the Department of Defense and the D.C. National Guard for their support in quelling riots, as well as the FBI, Secret Service, ATF, DEA, Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Marshals Service, Capitol Police, Department of Homeland Security’s CBP and Border Patrol units.

The attorney general said that law enforcement would be out in even greater force on Tuesday night. “There will be even greater law enforcement resources and support in the region tonight,” said Barr. “The most basic function of government is to provide security for people to live their lives and exercise their rights, and we will meet that responsibility here in the nation’s capital.”

Barr told the state leaders earlier in the day that law enforcement officials must “have adequate force” and “go after troublemakers.”

Barr ordered officials to clear area around Lafayette Square before Trump’s protest remarks, officials say
Bingo! There's always more to a story than what is originally reported, particularly by partisans. I told people last week to calm down and wait to find out what actually happened to George Floyd, especially how things got to the point where he had a knee in the neck. There's always more to a story than what is depicted by a video that doesn't start until halfway into an incident. Sometimes we discover the story is worse than we thought, other times we discover the story wasn't what we thought at all. It's best to withhold judgment.

Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟609,647.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's not much loving going on as cities burn to the ground. The Minneapolis mayor tried the "back off and give space" approach and now the entire south side of his city is in ruins. The victims are the residents of those neighborhoods.

Throwing bricks and bottles full of urine at police and National Guard soldiers is not very loving as well. Law and Order needs to be re-established in those cities and POTUS is right, most governors and mayors have failed. They failed to protect the very people who live in the neighborhoods ravaged by violent actors.
We all know it is not that simple. The word Dominate suggests 'I will not see you and I won't hear you'.

I believe all lives matter, and I have not heard you say that George Floyd's life mattered. The world watched in horror, and still we watch in horror.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟609,647.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A friend shared this with me:

Friends, I am ok, but I am, frankly shaken. I was at St. John's, Lafayette Square most of the afternoon, with fellow clergy and laypeople - and clergy from some other denominations too. We were passing out water and snacks, and helping the patio area at St. John's, Lafayette square to be a place of respite and peace. All was well - with a few little tense moments - until about 6:15 or so. By then, I had connected with the Black Lives Matter medic team, which was headed by an EMT. Those people were AMAZING. They had been on the patio all day, and thankfully had not had to use much of the eyewash they had made. Around 6:15 or 6:30, the police started really pushing protestors off of H Street (the street between the church and Lafayette Park, and ultimately, the White House. They started using tear gas and folks were running at us for eyewashes or water or wet paper towels. At this point, Julia, one of our seminarians for next year (who is a trauma nurse) and I looked at each other in disbelief. I was coughing, her eyes were watering, and we were trying to help people as the police - in full riot gear - drove people toward us. Julia and her classmates left and I stayed with the BLM folks trying to help people. Suddenly, around 6:30, there was more tear gas, more concussion grenades, and I think I saw someone hit by a rubber bullet - he was grasping his stomach and there was a mark on his shirt. The police in their riot gear were literally walking onto the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with these metal shields, pushing people off the patio and driving them back. People were running at us as the police advanced toward us from the other side of the patio. We had to try to pick up what we could. The BLM medic folks were obviously well practiced. They picked up boxes and ran. I was so stunned I only got a few water bottles and my spray bottle of eyewash. We were literally DRIVEN OFF of the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with tear gas and concussion grenades and police in full riot gear. We were pushed back 20 feet, and then eventually - with SO MANY concussion grenades - back to K street. By the time I got back to my car, around 7, I was getting texts from people saying that Trump was outside of St. John's, Lafayette Square. I literally COULD NOT believe it. WE WERE DRIVEN OFF OF THE PATIO AT ST. JOHN'S - a place of peace and respite and medical care throughout the day - SO THAT MAN COULD HAVE A PHOTO OPPORTUNITY IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH!!! PEOPLE WERE HURT SO THAT HE COULD POSE IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH WITH A BIBLE! HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO STEP OVER THE MEDICAL SUPPLIES WE LEFT BEHIND BECAUSE WE WERE BEING TEAR GASSED!!!!

I am deeply shaken. I did not see any protestors throw anything until the tear gas and concussion grenades started, and then it was mostly water bottles. I am shaken, not so much by the taste of tear gas and the bit of a cough I still have, but by the fact that that show of force was for a PHOTO OPPORTUNITY. The patio of St. John's, Lafayette square had been HOLY GROUND today. A place of respite and laughter and water and granola bars and fruit snacks. But that man turned it into a BATTLE GROUND first, and a cheap political stunt second. I am DEEPLY OFFENDED on behalf of every protestor, every Christian, the people of St. John's, Lafayette square, every decent person there, and the BLM medics who stayed with just a single box of supplies and a backpack, even when I got too scared and had to leave. I am ok. But I am now a force to be reckoned with.​

Given the source it came to me from I accept it, in absence of other evidence, as authentic.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A friend shared this with me:

Friends, I am ok, but I am, frankly shaken. I was at St. John's, Lafayette Square most of the afternoon, with fellow clergy and laypeople - and clergy from some other denominations too. We were passing out water and snacks, and helping the patio area at St. John's, Lafayette square to be a place of respite and peace. All was well - with a few little tense moments - until about 6:15 or so. By then, I had connected with the Black Lives Matter medic team, which was headed by an EMT. Those people were AMAZING. They had been on the patio all day, and thankfully had not had to use much of the eyewash they had made. Around 6:15 or 6:30, the police started really pushing protestors off of H Street (the street between the church and Lafayette Park, and ultimately, the White House. They started using tear gas and folks were running at us for eyewashes or water or wet paper towels. At this point, Julia, one of our seminarians for next year (who is a trauma nurse) and I looked at each other in disbelief. I was coughing, her eyes were watering, and we were trying to help people as the police - in full riot gear - drove people toward us. Julia and her classmates left and I stayed with the BLM folks trying to help people. Suddenly, around 6:30, there was more tear gas, more concussion grenades, and I think I saw someone hit by a rubber bullet - he was grasping his stomach and there was a mark on his shirt. The police in their riot gear were literally walking onto the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with these metal shields, pushing people off the patio and driving them back. People were running at us as the police advanced toward us from the other side of the patio. We had to try to pick up what we could. The BLM medic folks were obviously well practiced. They picked up boxes and ran. I was so stunned I only got a few water bottles and my spray bottle of eyewash. We were literally DRIVEN OFF of the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with tear gas and concussion grenades and police in full riot gear. We were pushed back 20 feet, and then eventually - with SO MANY concussion grenades - back to K street. By the time I got back to my car, around 7, I was getting texts from people saying that Trump was outside of St. John's, Lafayette Square. I literally COULD NOT believe it. WE WERE DRIVEN OFF OF THE PATIO AT ST. JOHN'S - a place of peace and respite and medical care throughout the day - SO THAT MAN COULD HAVE A PHOTO OPPORTUNITY IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH!!! PEOPLE WERE HURT SO THAT HE COULD POSE IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH WITH A BIBLE! HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO STEP OVER THE MEDICAL SUPPLIES WE LEFT BEHIND BECAUSE WE WERE BEING TEAR GASSED!!!!

I am deeply shaken. I did not see any protestors throw anything until the tear gas and concussion grenades started, and then it was mostly water bottles. I am shaken, not so much by the taste of tear gas and the bit of a cough I still have, but by the fact that that show of force was for a PHOTO OPPORTUNITY. The patio of St. John's, Lafayette square had been HOLY GROUND today. A place of respite and laughter and water and granola bars and fruit snacks. But that man turned it into a BATTLE GROUND first, and a cheap political stunt second. I am DEEPLY OFFENDED on behalf of every protestor, every Christian, the people of St. John's, Lafayette square, every decent person there, and the BLM medics who stayed with just a single box of supplies and a backpack, even when I got too scared and had to leave. I am ok. But I am now a force to be reckoned with.​

Given the source it came to me from I accept it, in absence of other evidence, as authentic.
I saw her in CNN today.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bingo! There's always more to a story than what is originally reported, particularly by partisans. I told people last week to calm down and wait to find out what actually happened to George Floyd, especially how things got to the point where he had a knee in the neck. There's always more to a story than what is depicted by a video that doesn't start until halfway into an incident. Sometimes we discover the story is worse than we thought, other times we discover the story wasn't what we thought at all. It's best to withhold judgment.
So the alleged criminals deny the allegations and have a defense. Do you think the bishop who was there and told a different story was lying, or the government official?

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can I please ask in love... is it ok if I do not agree or have found other media that say differently then what Tulc posted? Are you ok with that? Oh.. yes.. you would think I would not have to ask.

Photo op.. yeah.. not a good ideal. ALL of those around Trump.. what reporters were already there? Reporters who had been on the scene earlier said protesters had not engaged in any violence before the police fired tear gas and began herding them away."

YES I agree this could have happen. But.. why would any reporter be out there with no camera or video in 2020? And then around Trump? Not sure why those that were there.. their story is not being shared.

I praise my Father for President Trump and Mike Pence.. for fighting for our rights and every Americans.. and for unborn life.. like no other president has. And for wow what he has done for Israel. LOL but.. wow.. many times should just be.. shhh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We now have three autopsies George Floyd. (1) the county one said he did not die of asphyxiation but “cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression."

(2) the independent one said he died of "asphyxiation from sustained pressure.”

(3) Now the toxicology report states George had fentanyl in his system, and they also found signs of recent methamphetamine use. It also says his manner of death is homicide.

In all the conclusion was homicide. I had no doubt the conclusion would be homicide. But we know a lot more now that all reports are in. Although (1) and (2) conflict neither deny the fact of homicide. On the issue of (3) it does not change the situation. Remains homicide.

Medical Examiner Says George Floyd Was on Fentanyl, Died of Heart Attack

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We all know it is not that simple. The word Dominate suggests 'I will not see you and I won't hear you'.

Imago Dei solves this. That is how I live my life and teach my children.

I believe all lives matter, and I have not heard you say that George Floyd's life mattered. The world watched in horror, and still we watch in horror.
Virtue signaling aside. Perhaps read some of my posts. I have commented on some threads the importance of George Floyd’s ministry in Houston’s Third Ward:

George Floyd Was a Bible-Believing Christian with a History of Ministry Work

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was coughing, her eyes were watering, and we were trying to help people as the police - in full riot gear - drove people toward us. Julia and her classmates left and I stayed with the BLM folks trying to help people. Suddenly, around 6:30, there was more tear gas, more concussion grenades, and I think I saw someone hit by a rubber bullet - he was grasping his stomach and there was a mark on his shirt.

The police did not use tear gas. See here:

Official statement US Parks Police:

Excerpt:

“On Monday, June 1, the USPP worked with the United States Secret Service to have temporary fencing installed inside Lafayette Park. At approximately 6:33 pm, violent protestors on H Street NW began throwing projectiles including bricks, frozen water bottles and caustic liquids. The protestors also climbed onto a historic building at the north end of Lafayette Park that was destroyed by arson days prior. Intelligence had revealed calls for violence against the police, and officers found caches of glass bottles, baseball bats and metal poles hidden along the street.

To curtail the violence that was underway, the USPP, following established policy, issued three warnings over a loudspeaker to alert demonstrators on H Street to evacuate the area. Horse mounted patrol, Civil Disturbance Units and additional personnel were used to clear the area. As many of the protestors became more combative, continued to throw projectiles, and attempted to grab officers’ weapons, officers then employed the use of smoke canisters and pepper balls. No tear gas was used by USPP officers or other assisting law enforcement partners to close the area at Lafayette Park. Subsequently, the fence was installed.

Throughout the demonstrations, the USPP has not made any arrests. The USPP will always support peaceful assembly but cannot tolerate violence to citizens or officers or damage to our nation’s resources that we are entrusted to protect.”

Full statement: Statement from United States Park Police acting Chief Gregory T. Monahan about the actions taken over the weekend to protect life and property - United States Park Police (U.S. National Park Service)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟609,647.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
officers then employed the use of smoke canisters and pepper balls. No tear gas was used by USPP officers or other assisting law enforcement partners to close the area at Lafayette Park. Subsequently, the fence was installed.

I have now read that statement, and I accept it a true. Unfortunately however the optics were altogether different for the world to see on endless repeat on endless news services.

You are well aware that I have a great deal of respect for you, and don't take what you say lightly. I am also very much aware that peace without justice is no peace at all. Justice in this aspect is not the enforcement of the rule of law with an iron fist, but rather an equity and fairness where all are accorded dignity food and shelter, access to education health and justice. This is a struggle in all western nations, while we are aware that the gap between the poor and the rich seems an ever increasing chasm. IF there is a problem it will not be solved by accident. I am mindful that law enforcement has a massive task and yes, I do believe taht all lives matter. However we must allow each other to breathe.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have now read that statement, and I accept it a true. Unfortunately however the optics were altogether different for the world to see on endless repeat on endless news services.

You are well aware that I have a great deal of respect for you, and don't take what you say lightly. I am also very much aware that peace without justice is no peace at all. Justice in this aspect is not the enforcement of the rule of law with an iron fist, but rather an equity and fairness where all are accorded dignity food and shelter, access to education health and justice. This is a struggle in all western nations, while we are aware that the gap between the poor and the rich seems an ever increasing chasm. IF there is a problem it will not be solved by accident. I am mindful that law enforcement has a massive task and yes, I do believe taht all lives matter. However we must allow each other to breathe.
Phillip I agree with you. Only issue we may not see eye to eye on is in some places to protect innocent residents and peaceful protesters force just may be required. Here is another sad story of a retired African-American police Chief who was murdered during a loot:

Retired St. Louis police captain fatally shot by looters on Facebook Live: report

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So the alleged criminals deny the allegations and have a defense. Do you think the bishop who was there and told a different story was lying, or the government official?
All I'm saying is that there's always more to the story and as Christians we should judge righteously with all of the evidence. That means not getting worked up over videos people post on Twitter, it means waiting until the facts come out.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We now have three autopsies George Floyd. (1) the county one said he did not die of asphyxiation but “cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression."

(2) the independent one said he died of "asphyxiation from sustained pressure.”

(3) Now the toxicology report states George had fentanyl in his system, and they also found signs of recent methamphetamine use. It also says his manner of death is homicide.

In all the conclusion was homicide. I had no doubt the conclusion would be homicide. But we know a lot more now that all reports are in. Although (1) and (2) conflict neither deny the fact of homicide. On the issue of (3) it does not change the situation. Remains homicide.

Medical Examiner Says George Floyd Was on Fentanyl, Died of Heart Attack
Homicide doesn't mean murder. It only means that someone else killed Floyd. There are justifiable homicides and unjustified, the latter of which usually results in criminal charges. The doctor doing an autopsy isn't going to make a determination as to whether force was necessary.

I know everyone wants 1st degree murder in this case but that's a recipe for acquittal. What premeditation is there? Why would the cop want to kill Floyd? There certainly was no plan in place to kill him. The cop is charged with 3rd degree murder, which requires a depraved mind. The prosecutor might be able to prove this. However, I question whether they will be able to do prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Those dueling autopsies create reasonable doubt as to what killed Floyd which creates doubt as to whether the cop acted with a depraved mind.

The best bet is manslaughter. I was glad to see him charged with this because had he not been it's possible the prosecution overcharged and would end up without a conviction. I think at this point we all have enough evidence to reach a preliminary conclusion as to Floyd's death. Of course, the cop has a right to a defense and it ought to be very good in light of who he hired to defend him.

Upvote 0