New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
A Police State is much better when it is shared with a crowed isn't it? :tutu:

But then again you aren't allowed to have a crowed in a Police State are you? :doh:

And the crowds are working so well for you in the US, eh?

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

Abraxos

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.
Jan 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟69,315.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think Jacinda Ardern has done a great job to aggressively lockdown New Zealand for four weeks through an implementation of an alert system (level 1 to level 4, 4 representing a no clear containment of COVID-19); and I think the results speak for themselves on how New Zealand has dealt with the pandemic compared to say, countries that have yet to contain it.

At the moment, we have had 0 cases for a couple of days now, while also having 97% of patients being recovered from COVID-19. So, in hindsight, locking down the country fast and hard seems to have been working well for us as a whole, and now we are at level 2 (bars, gyms and tourism, etc, are open, though, social distancing is still required).

I think considering the United States' fear of governmental powers, they have had good reason to be suspicious of it, but personally, these unprecedented times, the "freedom and liberty" talking points appear more like pandering and a lack of respect for their fellow neighbour who could be more vulnerable to the pandemic. That is why American patriotism falls rather flat when compared to other countries initiatives and priorities to keep themselves safe.

Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And at the time they began these measures in April they'd had like 1 1/2 corona deaths on the whole island, lol

And oddly enough they've had about 1,150 cases and 21 deaths. Hasn't the US just passed the 100,000 mark?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And oddly enough they've had about 1,150 cases and 21 deaths. Hasn't the US just passed the 100,000 mark?
I don't know, I don't really follow the numbers. But the U.S. is not a remote island with a sparse population.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't know, I don't really follow the numbers. But the U.S. is not a remote island with a sparse population.

With a population around 5,000,000 New Zealand is no more 'sparse' than most Scandinavian countries. It may be 'remote' to you but I can practically see it from my backyard.

After allowing for population difference the US has 77 times more deaths than New Zealand. Like it or not NZ has done better than the US when it comes to saving the lives of it's people.

New Zealanders are not uncomfortable with their lockdown rules. You need to accept that your culture does not set the moral standard for the rest of the world.

OB

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What is up with the unhealthy American obsession with the government turning tyrannical?

This whole scenario has highlighted once again the inherent selfishness of many Americans. The idea of the greater good is entirely lost on most of them as well.

Heck, even countries like Germany and others in Europe, you know, countries with actual living witnesses to governments overstepping and controlling parts of the population, don't have the same obsessive paranoia about government.

I guess the NRA propaganda machine is working as intended.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
With a population around 5,000,000 New Zealand is no more 'sparse' than most Scandinavian countries.
Which is sparse compared to the U.S. which are what you're comparing it to. The U.S. have 54 cities which are more populous than New Zealand's second largest.
It may be 'remote' to you but I can practically see it from my backyard.
Um, no. Sarah Palin has a better chance of seeing Russia from her doorstep.
After allowing for population difference the US has 77 times more deaths than New Zealand. Like it or not NZ has done better than the US when it comes to saving the lives of it's people.
There's a rumor going around that some of those deaths due to coronavirus may have actually been deaths due to coronavirus.
New Zealanders are not uncomfortable with their lockdown rules.
Why do Aussies on here always have to insult Kiwis?
You need to accept that your culture does not set the moral standard for the rest of the world.
Actually, we were the first nation in the modern world to have a written constitution, which helps prevent a police state. Pretty much every nation's imitated that.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,017.00
Faith
Christian
Actually, we were the first nation in the modern world to have a written constitution, which helps prevent a police state.

Americans can't even get out of their car or pick up something in their car at a traffic stop without risking being shot.

Anatomy of a Traffic Stop
  • Shut off the engine and turn off the radio.
  • Keep your hands on the steering wheel and/or out of your pockets.
  • When asked for registration and driver's license, inform the officer where in the car you need to find it.

From a government website - Anatomy of a Traffic Stop | Traffic Division | The City of Portland, Oregon

I have no problem with some serious oversight of police powers like the ones in the article. But seriously, most of the world would rather be stopped by NZ police than the ones in the US.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have received exactly one ticket in my life...it was in New Zealand. The situation is the speed went from 60 to 25 as your rounded a corner. (You would literally have to slam on the breaks to make the 25 limit.) There was a large turnout where the police were hanging out with the radar. They pulled over every rental car. I tried to fight it, but to no avail. Now while I don't think this was a "Police State" it did seem a little 3rd world gouging to me. Like their airport departure tax, (This was 10 years ago, don't know what they are doing now.) "you want to leave it's going to cost you!" That said, it was a wonderful country and I would gladly go back.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,673.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually, we were the first nation in the modern world to have a written constitution,

England, Sweden and Corsica all beat the US to written constitutions. The US Constitution could be said to be the oldest surviving constitution.

which helps prevent a police state.

Except where is doesn't. North Korea has a constitution, as did Soviet Russia, and Fascist Italy and Germany. A poorly written constitution, such as Wiemar Germany's, could even be said to enable a police state.

Pretty much every nation's imitated that.

And the US constitution itself was modeled on a series of documents, including the various colonial constitutions, the array of English constitutional documents and even Greek and Roman 'constitutions'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It's a constitutional requirement.
Just like it is mandated by the NZ Bill of Rights for kiwis to insult Ockers!

• Agree
Reactions: Tanj
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,673.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just like it is mandated by the NZ Bill of Rights for kiwis to insult Ockers!

To be fair, the majority of the time we deserve it.

Also, if you could let us win the Rugby once in a while, that would be nice. In exchange, I'll offer you trans-Tasman victories in the Cricket (20/20 and 50 overs, not the tests) and the Netball. And yes, I don't care about the League.

Reactions: kiwimac
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Americans can't even get out of their car or pick up something in their car at a traffic stop without risking being shot.

From a government website - Anatomy of a Traffic Stop | Traffic Division | The City of Portland, Oregon

I have no problem with some serious oversight of police powers like the ones in the article. But seriously, most of the world would rather be stopped by NZ police than the ones in the US.
I agree we do have a problem with police behavior but that's a huge exaggeration, and anyway, individual cops behaving badly is not what defines a police state.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
England, Sweden and Corsica all beat the US to written constitutions. The US Constitution could be said to be the oldest surviving constitution.
Well, I said first in the "modern" world.
Except where is doesn't. North Korea has a constitution, as did Soviet Russia, and Fascist Italy and Germany. A poorly written constitution, such as Wiemar Germany's, could even be said to enable a police state.
Obviously, a constitution written by a police state has no interest in preventing a police state.
And the US constitution itself was modeled on a series of documents, including the various colonial constitutions, the array of English constitutional documents and even Greek and Roman 'constitutions'.
Which makes no difference to my point.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What is up with the unhealthy American obsession with the government turning tyrannical?

This whole scenario has highlighted once again the inherent selfishness of many Americans. The idea of the greater good is entirely lost on most of them as well.

Heck, even countries like Germany and others in Europe, you know, countries with actual living witnesses to governments overstepping and controlling parts of the population, don't have the same obsessive paranoia about government.

I guess the NRA propaganda machine is working as intended.

Don't know anything about American History, or why what your saying would be of any concern to Americans, do you?

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Are we really going to guibble over that, it's the only one that matters then isn't it?

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Who gives a flying leap, where it came from, it's the only one that has ever worked, like it or not.

We happen to think it's pretty good, works for U.S.!

Upvote 0