Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Opinion: It is a major statement on society when there are so many threads about the President walking over to a church in support of that church - and yet utter silence on the people who fire bombed the church.

Makes one wonder where our priorities lie.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Opinion: It is a major statement on society when there are so many threads about the President walking over to a church in support of that church - and yet utter silence on the people who fire bombed the church.

Probably because the damage was rather minor. The nursery burned, some shattered glass, and some graffiti. That’s it.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There's 800,000 law enforcement officers in the United States. Think of it as 8 NFL sized football stadiums and in every seat there is a cop. Isn't it reasonable to conclude that at any one time you could have even a few hundred of bad cops doing stupid things. They'd fill up only on very small section of one stadium.

I suspect it's a lot higher than a few hundred.

A while back, I had a discussion here with somebody about the rate of serious crime within the Baltimore PD:
Baltimore Police Department - Wikipedia

For a department of 2,500 officers or 3,300 employees, they average at least a couple of arrests for serious crimes per year - that wikipedia page is outdated doesn't include everything about the Gun Trace Task Force, in which 9 officers were convicted of a host of crimes.

Baltimore may be worse than most, but if we use their numbers and extrapolate out to those 800,000 officers, then we wouldn't just have a "few hundred... doing stupid things;" we'd have over a 1,000 being convicted of felonies every year. And that doesn't include all of the more run-of-the-mill abuses that impact the community but go unreported or swept under the rug.

As I noted to whomever I was speaking with when I last brought this up, I've worked for a company that had a couple thousand employees on one site - roughly the size of the BPD. In my case, it was a defense contractor with an on-site manufacturing facility. If we'd had a couple employees being convicted of felonies every year, the HR department would've been eviscerated. I'd be surprised if we had more than a couple of DUI citations per year.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

:scratch:

...just what are your priorties?

I struggle to unerstand how anyone could defend a man who so blatantly descretated Christian symbols for his own edification.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:scratch:

...just what are your priorties?

I struggle to unerstand how anyone could defend a man who so blatantly descretated Christian symbols for his own edification.

I am able to see the difference between standing in front of a church in support of that building and fire bombing the building.

What are your priorities? Do you support fire bombing churches?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The fire-bombers don't work for us ...

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There's 800,000 law enforcement officers in the United States. Think of it as 8 NFL sized football stadiums and in every seat there is a cop. Isn't it reasonable to conclude that at any one time you could have even a few hundred of bad cops doing stupid things. They'd fill up only on very small section of one stadium.

So what if we're going to talk about REALITY what can anyone reasonably hope to achieve? Are the expectations that a country can create a brand new UTOPIA where you'll NEVER, EVER, EVER see an atrocity take place again? Because we know that's not possible for the sheer numbers of cops in the nation would make that impossible (you can even have 5% go off the rails) so what do we do....destroy the nation each and every time these take place when maybe 95% of cops are good?

So what's the answer. Police YES need to work doubly hard to show that they're trying. Granted I think police unions need to back off from always wanting to get a cop off of complaints. If they've got multiple, multiple things like that on their record it doesn't seem quite right. Some have suggested that maybe they need to federalize all police....have one training program.....on the flip side of that though....a slippery slope......a very easy way to slide into having a national dictator.

All I"m saying there's things that can be done, and should be done and it'll always be a thing that police have to look at it honestly and sincerely however there will be NO some new UTOPIA of zero problems. If this actually becomes the demand with 800K officers and we won't actually allow PEACE until UTOPIA is realized than I'd think most would agree nation is doomed. It'd have be for you just aren't going to have 800,000 always be doing the right thing.

You bring up the statistics, but if I were African American and every time my teenage son goes out, I am afraid of his life, and one day he dies in the hands of police, none of these statistics will mean any thing to me. We have problem in this country, may be only 1% or erven less police officer is the issue, but when an innocent life is lost , 99% or 1% doesn’t make any difference.

I see you agree with me that there have some issue in police force, may be it is less than .5% but there is a issue. Yet time after time this issue still coming back and African Americans paying the price with their lives.

We may not be able to completely fix this issue , but whenever something like this happens, for starter we acknowledge that “we have a problem” . Unfortunately what we see is that one side keep saying “ We want justice” , and the other side rush to defend the police , and point finger to African American culture, and their lifestyle. Just in this CF forum ( those post have been deleted) many rushed to conclusion that “ fatherless culture of African American “ is the problem here.

When young African American dies in the hand of police and some Americans can’t even acknowledge that there is a systematic problem , how can we even think we can solve the problem? As the saying goes “ first step of ‘addiction’ is to admit you have a problem” . Most Americans ( mainly white Americans) wouldn’t even acknowledge there is a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Kentonio
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's because we expect criminals to be criminals. "Dog bites man" is not news.

The president, however, took a certain oath that carried with it certain expectations, a social contract, which he has failed to fulfill. That is news.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am able to see the difference between standing in front of a church in support of that building and fire bombing the building.

No one complaining that Trump stood In front of the church. People are complaining how he went to the church. If you think by tear gas citizen to make the road safe to go to church for a photo-op is good thing, then you and I have completely different priority in life.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,659.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This was a planned event (planned for months) to show unity around the premise of religious liberty, something Pope John Paul 2 fought for in his life. This was the 100th anniversary of his birth I believe.

Understandably these fascists trying to bring our country down don't believe in religious liberty, (and certainly not something the Catholic church seems to believe in) but that's their own problem, and hasn't been echoed by every Pope.

The president should not be allowed to be killed by a bunch of nut jobs, he's the president of the United States - and we are a nation of laws.
1) Remembering the head of the Roman catholic Church in front of en episcopal church?
2) J-P II birthday is 18th of May.

Fail. Big Fail.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I’m not sure why you posted these articles.The jogger incident happened in Georgia and nobody is being charged with anything in Minneapolis they’re simply ordering an investigation to see if there’s any truth to the accusations.

The Minnesota of Department of Human Rights is filing a commissioner's charge of discrimination to launch a civil rights investigation into the Minneapolis Police Department," Walz said.

"The investigation will review MPD's policies, procedures and practices over the last 10 years to determine if the department has utilized systemic discriminatory practices towards people of color.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I reject your comparison. And in any case, "number of threads" doesn't indicate anything.

Upvote 0

Bibocious

Jun 3, 2020
Statesville
✟15,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Well, there is a difference, and the difference is in the thread title. The rioters who damaged the building are indeed culpable for “property damage.” However, the Bible photo op was made possible by assaulting people directly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bibocious

Jun 3, 2020
Statesville
✟15,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Make sure you report my msg as “offensive” , I am sure CF will delete the post if they find it offensive!

I am white and although the statement is generalizing, it does not offend me because I can see through the machinations that formed it. The statement does show that the racial game the system is playing is working. Why say something you cannot prove and appears to be rooted in prejudice? The problem is the system.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one complaining that Trump stood In front of the church. People are complaining how he went to the church. If you think by tear gas citizen to make the road safe to go to church for a photo-op is good thing, then you and I have completely different priority in life.

Actually, some people who are serious about their religion are upset about him using a church and the bible for a political photo op.

• Agree
Reactions: Evan Jellicoe
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I’m not sure why you posted these articles.The jogger incident happened in Georgia and nobody is being charged with anything in Minneapolis they’re simply ordering an investigation to see if there’s any truth to the accusations.

The Minnesota of Department of Human Rights is filing a commissioner's charge of discrimination to launch a civil rights investigation into the Minneapolis Police Department," Walz said.

"The investigation will review MPD's policies, procedures and practices over the last 10 years to determine if the department has utilized systemic discriminatory practices towards people of color.
Minneapolis Police Use Force Against Black People at 7 Times the Rate of Whites

Edit: updated link to the full article

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The DOJ has debunked the photo story. There was a legitimate security issue. Tear gas would not have been used it the people had followed lawful orders to leave the area.
It seems to me that Trump's photo op stunt was designed/fabricated specifically to give law enforcement a reason to get heavy handed on peaceful protesters.

Trump didn't need to take that photo. Police didn't need to tear gas or smoke out the protesters.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems to me that Trump's photo op stunt was designed/fabricated specifically to give law enforcement a reason to get heavy handed on peaceful protesters.

Trump didn't need to take that photo. Police didn't need to tear gas or smoke out the protesters.
Yup. Here is a review of that by a lawyer that does legal reviews on all sort of legal topics. This is the first time I have seen him this emotional about a topic.

As he says in the video, this was timed to clear the park so that when Trump was done with his speech he could just walk across the park to the church for a photo op. And the next day, a video was released by the WH of that to music. A clear campaign piece.

And I don't think Trump has hit bottom yet. I think that is to come.

Upvote 0