Guilty: Verdict reached in trial of Derek Chauvin, ex-officer accused in George Floyd's death

Status
Not open for further replies.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Police chief testifies that restraint of George Floyd 'absolutely' violated policy, ethics of department
The city's top cop told the court Monday that former officer Derek Chauvin's restraint of George Floyd "absolutely" violates department policy and goes against "our ethics and our values."

Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo testified about police training and tactics, but he wasn't allowed to discuss the firing of Chauvin, who is charged in Floyd's death.

UPDATE:
Derek Chauvin Guilty of Murder in George Floyd Death
Derek Chauvin was found guilty of two counts of murder on Tuesday in the death of George Floyd, whose final breaths last May under the knee of Mr. Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer, were captured on video, setting off months of protests against the police abuse of Black people.

After deliberating for about 10 hours over two days following an emotional trial that lasted three weeks, the jury found Mr. Chauvin, who is white, guilty of second-degree murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter for the killing of Mr. Floyd, a Black man, on a street corner last year on Memorial Day.

Mr. Chauvin faces up to 40 years in prison when he is sentenced in the coming weeks but is likely to receive far less time. The presumptive sentence for second-degree murder is 12.5 years, according to Minnesota’s sentencing guidelines, although the state has asked for a higher sentence.

Last edited:

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Emergency physician says Floyd probably died because he was deprived of oxygen, says heart attack unlikely
Bradford Langenfeld, the emergency physician who tried to revive Floyd at the hospital, testified on Monday that Floyd arrived at the Hennepin County Medical Center on the night of May 25 without a heartbeat and suffering from a form of cardiac arrest most typically associated with asphyxiation or traumatic bleeding.

Under questioning from prosecutor Jerry Blackwell, Langenfeld described the details of Floyd’s condition upon arrival at the hospital emergency department and doctors’ efforts to restart his heart and save his life.

“For the majority of his time in our emergency department, he was in PEA arrest,” Langenfeld said, referring to pulseless electrical activity, which he said typically derives from a lack of oxygen to bodily tissue or from severe bleeding.

Blackwell asked whether Floyd was ever in a state in which he would have been considered “shockable” — in which the jolt of a defibrillator, for example, might have restarted his heart to beat on its own.

“No,” Langenfeld said.

Langenfeld, who noted that such a state is more typical of someone who has suffered a heart attack rather than asphyxiation, also said that Floyd did not appear to display the signs of “excited delirium” caused by drug use and that the paramedics did not report that to him.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The more I watch and read testimony from this trial, the more it is apparent this was a public daytime murder.
Is that a fact?
Care to review the Hennepin county coroner autopsy? Do you know what the primary physical evidence for death by strangulation is? See A. and B. Some folks read, hear and see what they want to.

George F1oyd
20-3700
Page 2
III'. No life-threatening injuries identified
A. No facia1, ora1 mucosal, or conjunctiva1 petechiae
B. No injuries of anterior muscles of neck or laryngea1 structures
C. No scalp soft tissue, skul1, or brain injuries
D. No chest wa11 soft tissue injuries, rib fractures (other than a sing1e rib fracture from CPR), vertebra1 column injuries, or viscera1 injuries
E. Incision and subcutaneous dissection of posterior and 1atera1 neck, shou1ders, back, f1anks, and buttocks negative for occult trauma
https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/hen...lic-safety/documents/floyd-autopsy-6-3-20.pdf

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I shan’t report your goading but please try and not attack posters. Thank you.
You gave a medical opinion, please explain to me how me asking if you have a medical license is goading?

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You gave a medical opinion, please explain to me how me asking if you have a medical license is goading?
You know what?
Nevermind, I’ll ax my posts and you have yourself a very fine evening.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Is that a fact?
Care to review the Hennepin county coroner autopsy? Do you know what the primary physical evidence for death by strangulation is? See A. and B. Some folks read, hear and see what they want to.

George F1oyd
20-3700
Page 2
III'. No life-threatening injuries identified
A. No facia1, ora1 mucosal, or conjunctiva1 petechiae
B. No injuries of anterior muscles of neck or laryngea1 structures
C. No scalp soft tissue, skul1, or brain injuries
D. No chest wa11 soft tissue injuries, rib fractures (other than a sing1e rib fracture from CPR), vertebra1 column injuries, or viscera1 injuries
E. Incision and subcutaneous dissection of posterior and 1atera1 neck, shou1ders, back, f1anks, and buttocks negative for occult trauma
https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/hen...lic-safety/documents/floyd-autopsy-6-3-20.pdf

Thanks. I am now pretty much convinced that Chauvin didn't grab Floyd's neck with both hands and strangle him to death.

This is not considered to be a case of strangulation (which blocks the flow of oxygen to the brain), This is considered to be a case of asphyxiation.

Strangling - Wikipedia
Asphyxia - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks. I am now pretty much convinced that Chauvin didn't grab Floyd's neck with both hands and strangle him to death.
Thank you for the snark. The definition of strangulation does not specify by hand.
I had to have abdominal surgery in '09 because, according to the Dr., I had a section of colon which was in danger of strangulating.

What is the meaning of strangulation?
1 : the action or process of strangling or strangulating. 2 : the state of being strangled or strangulated especially : excessive or pathological constriction or compression of a bodily tube (such as a blood vessel or a loop of intestine) that interrupts its ability to act as a passage.
Strangulation | Definition of Strangulation by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com ›

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the snark. The definition of strangulation does not specify by hand.
I had to have abdominal surgery in '09 because, according to the Dr., I had a section of colon which was in danger of strangulating.

What is the meaning of strangulation?
1 : the action or process of strangling or strangulating. 2 : the state of being strangled or strangulated especially : excessive or pathological constriction or compression of a bodily tube (such as a blood vessel or a loop of intestine) that interrupts its ability to act as a passage.
Strangulation | Definition of Strangulation by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com ›

Ah, you posted shortly after my edit. See above. Your definition for strangling is irrelevant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Hardly. Look up petechial hemorhhrage.

From Petechia - Wikipedia:

Petechiae on the face and conjunctiva (eyes) are unrelated to asphyxiation or hypoxia.[8]

Despite this, petechiae are used by police investigators in determining whether strangulation has been part of an attack. The documentation of the presence of petechiae on a victim can help police investigators prove the case.[9] Petechiae resulting from strangulation can be relatively tiny and light in color to very bright and pronounced. Petechiae may be seen on the face, in the whites of the eyes or on the inside of the eyelids.

Again, this is considered to be a case of asphyxiation, not strangling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[STAFF EDITED DELETED QUOTE]
What is more likely is the Floyd family for sufficient funds found a "medical examiner" who would give them the answer they wanted. The same thing happened in the Michael Brown shooting. But the photographic evidence blew him away.
Unless that "medical examiner" can produce photographic to support his claim that is my position.
I haven't examined all the videos but from what I have seen Floyd was not asphyxiated by Chauvin's knee. I decided to test my theory cool and calm I stood with my head and chest pressed against a wall with my head turned to the side. I could easily place my clenched fist between my neck and the wall. I could breathe normally.
So how was Floyd asphyxiated? Certainly not by Chauvin's knee. There was no way Chauvin's knee could press Floyd's neck down approximately 2.5 inches to the point that his breathing would be impaired.
Apropos of nothing Chauvin has a famous name. From a staunch French patriot Nicolaus Chauvin we get the term "Chauvinism" who supported Napoleon even after he fell into disfavor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What is more likely is the Floyd family for sufficient funds found a "medical examiner" who would give them the answer they wanted. The same thing happened in the Michael Brown shooting. But the photographic evidence blew him away.
Unless that "medical examiner" can produce photographic to support his claim that is my position.
I haven't examined all the videos but from what I have seen Floyd was not asphyxiated by Chauvin's knee. I decided to test my theory cool and calm I stood with my head and chest pressed against a wall with my head turned to the side. I could easily place my clenched fist between my neck and the wall. I could breathe normally.
So how was Floyd asphyxiated? Certainly not by Chauvin's knee. There was no way Chauvin's knee could press Floyd's neck down approximately 2.5 inches to the point that his breathing would be impaired.
Apropos of nothing Chauvin has a famous name. From a staunch French patriot Nicolaus Chauvin we get the term "Chauvinism" who supported Napoleon even after he fell into disfavor.

What makes you think that neck compression is required here?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From Petechia - Wikipedia:
Again, this is considered to be a case of asphyxiation, not strangling.
Strangulation is not limited to compression with the hands.
You have got to be kidding. Wiki? Wiki is about as reliable as the scribblings on a public facility wall. Anybody can post, change, delete anything without review or control. I have done it a few time to prove to show scoffers that it can be done.

Petechial Hemorrhage
A petechial hemorrhage is a tiny pinpoint red mark that is an important sign of asphyxia caused by some external means of obstructing the airways. They are sometimes also called petechiae. Their presence often indicates a death by manual strangulation, hanging, or smothering. The hemorrhages occur when blood leaks from the tiny capillaries in the eyes, which can rupture due to increased pressure on the veins in the head when the airways are obstructed. If petechial hemorrhages and facial congestion are present, it is a strong indication of asphyxia by strangulation as the cause of death .

https://www.encyclopedia.com/science/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/petechial-hemorrhage
= = = = =
Petechial hemorrhages are ruptures of the (microscopic) capillaries that provide blood to the body’s cells. Oxygenated blood travels from the heart through vessels (called arteries) of sequentially smaller and smaller size until they become the smallest vessels, called capillaries. Blood eventually returns to the heart through sequentially larger and larger vessels (called veins) in order to be reoxygenated. If the veins in an area of the body are obstructed or compressed, blood flow back to the heart from beyond such a point can be impeded. In these circumstances, blood will still flow through the arteries, but it will be (fully or partially) prevented from flowing back to the heart through the veins. Rather, blood will collect more distal to the compression, for example in a leg, arm or the head. This may result in a spike in blood pressure in that area, which, in turn, causes the rupture of the capillaries. These ruptures cause petechial hemorrhages. One possible cause of such petechial hemorrhages is a compression of the neck sufficient to compress the veins, but insufficient either to compress the arteries or cause a cardiac arrest.
Petechial Hemorrhages — Medilex: The Experts on Medical Experts

I'm burdened by this old fashioned idea "Guilty until PROVEN guilty." That does not mean the group that can shout the loudest.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.