Dec 29, 2013
✟346,393.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So debates are a huge part of our political system. People already are talking about the debates between Trump and Biden. But what is the point of them? Why is debate performance considered important for an executive. I can see it a bit more for legislature where trying to convince a bunch of people to vote for or against a bill is part of the job. But debates don't show anything about what kind of president somebody would make. So why?

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Once upon a time, they were an opportunity for candidates to lay out and defend their policy positions, as well as display their speaking prowess and eloquence. These days, not so much.

Anyone excited for the 2020 debates is just hoping to see the guy they don't like crash and burn.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟215,955.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So debates are a huge part of our political system. People already are talking about the debates between Trump and Biden. But what is the point of them? Why is debate performance considered important for an executive. I can see it a bit more for legislature where trying to convince a bunch of people to vote for or against a bill is part of the job. But debates don't show anything about what kind of president somebody would make. So why?
I think there can be a valid thing that can be learned and that's how well does whatever candidate articulate things without being scripted and when under pressure. That is after all how many negotiations with world leaders take place on phones or in meetings.

• Agree
Reactions: Kentonio
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Even good debates are little more than a game for people to show off a particular sort of rhetorical skill. But contemporary political debates aren't even that. They're shallow, sanctimonious pageants that do little more than provide opportunity for candidates to fire off mediocre one-liners and con the viewers into feeling more enlightened than they really are.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,004,574.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I've been ignoring political debates for years, and even on here I stay away. In 99% of debates about any subject, all that happens is that each side becomes even more convinced that its position is the correct one.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Now This Politics usually has YouTube videos where they fact check Trump's briefings live. I would be happy to see a debate with Now This Politics critiquing both candidates.
In a typical Trump event the lies are so fast and furious you really need instant correction because you might only remember half of them if you went back to check yourself.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

They way the DNC is keeping Joe Biden stuffed in his basement, hidden from the public, it's a chance for us to see if A. he can stand for 2 hours without dying and B. actually answer questions we might want to know about what he plans to do. Saying your going to join the forces of light and fight the forces of darkness like your about to become an Avenger doesn't cut it.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think there can be a valid thing that can be learned and that's how well does whatever candidate articulate things without being scripted and when under pressure. That is after all how many negotiations with world leaders take place on phones or in meetings.

Agreed. They’re also a great opportunity for a candidate to be aggressively questioned on their policies, past actions and positions in real time. I don’t think having debates is in any way a bad thing, I think the problem is that campaigns increasingly refuse to agree to free flowing debates because of the high risks. So you end up with both sides only agreeing to participate if x, y and z conditions are met, which ends up with a much less useful exercise.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,393.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Agreed. They’re also a great opportunity for a candidate to be aggressively questioned on their policies, past actions and positions in real time. I don’t think having debates is in any way a bad thing, I think the problem is that campaigns increasingly refuse to agree to free flowing debates because of the high risks. So you end up with both sides only agreeing to participate if x, y and z conditions are met, which ends up with a much less useful exercise.
But why a debate against the other guy. Why not a hard hitting interview or a townhall?

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟906,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But why a debate against the other guy. Why not a hard hitting interview or a townhall?
I have the same thought. Personally, I don't find value in debates as they have been in politics. They are just noise and quick snipes. When the election debates dominate evening TV I just find something else to do. I would tune in to a good interview or town hall though. I want to really understand what the candidates are for rather than how quickly they can verbally jab their opponent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums