Visit site
✟43,566.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was browsing Google Scholar and found a textbook documenting the historical medieval Christian church, so I looked through it and found a verse that relates to Christian Universalism.

That is, how Christ Jesus will save everyone, how all people will believe in Christ’s sacrifice through faith alone and be saved.

• Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ
  • 1 Corinthians 15:22 "In Christ shall all be made alive"

It’s interesting because I was originally going through academic research of a completely different topic, but since it appeared in my feed, I figured I would take a look at it.

https://api.taylorfrancis.com/conte...ierValue=10.4324/9780203626917&type=googlepdf

Citation: MLA Deanesly, Margaret. A history of the medieval church: 590-1500. Routledge, 2004.

Hail to thee, festival day! blest day that art hallowed for ever;

Day wherein God overcame hell and arose from the dead.

He who was nailed to the cross is God and the ruler of all

things:

All things created on earth worship the maker of all.

Rise now, O Lord, from the grave and cast off the shroud that

enwrapped Thee:

Thou art sufficient for us: nothing without Thee exists.

Jesus has harrowed hell: he has led captivity captive:

Darkness and chaos and death flee from the face of the light

- Saint Venantius Honorius Clementianus Fortunatus

This particular piece of poetry was translated from Latin, as St Fortunatus, was a hymnographer in the Merovingian Court and a French bishop of the Early Christian Church.

Thus, this shows that the Early Christian Church’s views were as such:

It correctly associates hell as Sheol (Hebrew), the realm of the dead, the grave, which would be known as Hades (Greek). Christ paid the wages of sin, which is death.

ECT is false because Christ would be tortured endlessly, which is not the case. Annihilationism is false because Christ would have stayed dead, but instead He rose again.

It also accurately points to how all things created on Earth will be worshipping God. This demonstrates that Conditional Immortality is wrong, because all things that were ever created, which is everyone, are worshipping the Lord, so death is eliminated for everybody.

The date of writing would be sometime between the date he was born and the date that he died, which is.

Born: c. 530 AD, Venetia, Kingdom of the Ostrogoths

Died: c. 600 or 609 AD, Pictavium, Kingdom of the Franks

Personally, I prefer the original Greek and Hebrew manuscripts of the scripture over the translations they made in Latin, and I say this knowing full well that the verses I post are English translations lol. Since translators are able to make mistakes when porting over the true words of God.

And on the topic of Saints, we must look to Christ Jesus alone for salvation. Jesus Christ is the only source of our salvation, not the saints. I post this piece here as a way to look back on some of the work of the Early Christians, brother to brother in Christ. After all, the predominant doctrine of the Early Christian Church was indeed Christian Universalism after all, the belief that Christ will save all people. Because everyone will believe in Christ and be saved.

• John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.
  • Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God

For the first 500 years of the Christian Church, one of the books on the Tentmaker sites discusses that Apocatastasis = Universal Salvation = Christian Universalism = The Bible Truth.

Universalism, the Prevailing Doctrine of the Christian Church During its First Five Hundred Years

Psalm NEB 138:8 The Lord will accomplish His purpose for me. Thy true love, 0 Lord, endures for ever, leave not thy work unfinished.

Scholars will point to the first period of the Early Christian Church starting at Christ’s crucifixion around 30-33 AD and ending at 325 AD at the First Council of Nicea. I use the term “Early Christian” here therefore as a general notion to refer to those who believed in Christ, early on, in general.

But what’s significant is that, this piece of poetry reveals that Christian Universalism continued to be a belief even after these initial 500 years, since St. Fortunatus was born after 530 AD. Yes, and you could even say that Christian Universalism continued to be a belief even after the initial 2000 years, all the way up to at least 2023 lol!

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But what’s significant is that, this piece of poetry reveals that Christian Universalism continued to be a belief even after these initial 500 years, since St. Fortunatus was born after 530 AD. Yes, and you could even say that Christian Universalism continued to be a belief even after the initial 2000 years, all the way up to at least 2023 lol!

Although the arguments we hear every day against universalism and for torture are so plausible that I doubt any of us are going to be able to withstand them for another year

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Although the arguments we hear every day against universalism and for torture are so plausible that I doubt any of us are going to be able to withstand them for another year

I'm sure there are a lot more hopeful universalists than those who preach universalism as a fact.

Upvote 0