Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you think that Russia’s influence in the US election was so strong that it determined the outcome of Trump’s victory?

It was really, really close. So maybe. But even an attempt would be criminal. How much help Putin was able to give Trump is unclear. Any was too much.

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It was really, really close. So maybe. But even an attempt would be criminal. How much help Putin was able to give Trump is unclear. Any was too much.

I was born in 1988, so the first presidential election I paid attention to was Bush vs. Kerry back in the 2004 US presidential election. I was 15 years old at the time. It seemed like George W. Bush was highly unpopular back then, especially with his lies regarding the so-called “weapons of mass destruction” in Iraq, which turned out to be a hoax and a false pretense for invading a country that didn’t really do anything wrong. The Democrats should have won that election, but the candidate they elected to represent them in the primaries was so implausible that it ensured Bush’s second term.

What am I saying? It’s that maybe Hillary Clinton was a bad candidate for the Democrats (surely Bernie Sanders or practically anyone else would have been better); and that maybe it’s because the Democrats elected a corrupt, deceptive candidate that Trump was able to secure a victory. In other words, I don’t think Russia determined the outcome of the US election in 2016 (that it was a bad candidate instead). What do you think?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What am I saying? It’s that maybe Hillary Clinton was a bad candidate for the Democrats (surely Bernie Sanders or practically anyone else would have been better); and that maybe it’s because the Democrats elected a corrupt, deceptive candidate that Trump was able to secure a victory. In other words, I don’t think Russia determined the outcome of the US election in 2016 (that it was a bad candidate instead). What do you think?

Two weak candidates, and a glitch in the electoral college resulted in the candidate with few votes winning.

A very few votes in a few states where Trump narrowly won would have changed the result. Did Putin's efforts to help Trump make the difference?

The Russians thought so. CIA eavesdropping caught them congratulating each other for getting their guy elected.

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Two weak candidates, and a glitch in the electoral college resulted in the candidate with few votes winning.

A very few votes in a few states where Trump narrowly won would have changed the result. Did Putin's efforts to help Trump make the difference?

The Russians thought so. CIA eavesdropping caught them congratulating each other for getting their guy elected.

When did Russian operatives cheer on Trump’s victory, claiming they were the ones who did it? What is your source?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When did Russian operatives cheer on Trump’s victory, claiming they were the ones who did it? What is your source?

Senior officials in the Russian government celebrated Donald Trump’s victory over Hillary Clinton as a geopolitical win for Moscow, according to U.S. officials who said that American intelligence agencies intercepted communications in the aftermath of the election in which Russian officials congratulated themselves on the outcome.

The ebullient reaction among high-ranking Russian officials — including some who U.S. officials believe had knowledge of the country’s cyber campaign to interfere in the U.S. election — contributed to the U.S. intelligence community’s assessment that Moscow’s efforts were aimed at least in part at helping Trump win the White House.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3ed4ca7b415b

Upvote 0