• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Please Stop Saying "Replacement Theology"

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Tree of Life, Mar 11, 2019.

1. tampasteve

tampasteve Messianic and Lutheran Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,719
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Sure it does, maybe not yours - but it does describe some people's views. These are all reasonable terms, maybe they are not reasonable to you, or apply to your beliefs, but that does not mean they do not apply to others.

2. A Realist

A Realist Living in Reality

+335
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    No.....it's an actual "thing".

Supersessionism

3. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+13,303
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Hmmm. The very fact you see them as "propaganda" proves the validity of what I said.

4. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Dungeon Master

+4,546
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    How so?

5. Tree of Life

+4,546
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I know you can pull up articles of people writing about it. But this doesn't mean that it accurately describes anyone's views or that anyone would assume the label for themselves.

It's kindof like saying that all Trump supporters are racists. While this may be true of some, the majority would not at all believe that this is a fair way to understand their views or identify them and they would not at all assume this label for themselves.

6. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+13,303
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Find me a white supremacist that willingly assumes the label "racist" for themselves.

The fact is both the racist and the replacement theology guy do NOT think there is anything wrong in their viewpoints. So of course they will not accept a negative label.

That is called "deception," believing something false to be true.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. JM

JM pre·des·ti·nar·i·an Supporter

+1,843
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Dispensationalism should be called Divisive Theology.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Tree of Life

+4,546
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    "Supersessionism" doesn't sound all that negative in its labelling or even in its description.

The reason that no one will assume it for themselves is not because it's negative, but because it doesn't accurately describe their views. This should be a huge indication that there has been a breakdown in communication and understanding.

9. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Well-Known Member

+1,046
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I really, really, [edit: dislike] this label.

I remember this one woman who asked me about covenant theology, and she kept on insisting that she doesn't believe the church replaced Israel. My reply was consistent, I agree, but she still insisted I believed it. It is a lack of understanding, as you have said, when we are labeled with this name. Replacement theology has no place in covenant theology, totally different.

10. Tree of Life

+4,546
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    If you can find me one person who assumes the label "supersessionist" for themselves then I will soften my approach a bit.

11. Tree of Life

+4,546
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Imagine you're counseling a young couple.

Husband says: "When my wife says X it makes me really angry." Wife says: "But I'm not saying X at all. I'm really saying Y. I'm mad at my husband because he can't hear me saying Y."

How would you diagnose their problem?

12. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+1,193
    Christian
    Private
    would it be fair then to call replacement theology a straw man argument if indeed no one is claiming it and it is a false premise?

13. DamianWarS

+1,193
    Christian
    Private
    that neither one of them are listening.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Tree of Life

+4,546
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Yes. If your description of your opponents views would be rejected by your opponent, then you're fighting with a straw man. At this point all of your criticisms of his views are irrelevant because you're not actually interacting with his views.

15. A Realist

+335
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Racism is a "thing". Some people are racists.

Supercessionism is a "thing". Some people believe in supersession. If it wasn't a thing, it wouldn't be a thing.

16. Tree of Life

+4,546
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    This is exactly what I'm challenging. Could you find me one person who agrees that they are a supersessionist?

17. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,420
    Christian
    Single
    Dave made the point perfectly.

Who wants to assume the label "wrong" "mean", whatever, I got a million of them. There are descriptive labels people don't like to be called, but they aren't going away anytime soon because sometimes they're necessary.

IOW, your challenge there is invalid from the get go.

18. A Realist

+335
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    There are many idiots out there who don't agree they're idiots.

19. DamianWarS

+1,193
    Christian
    Private
    except it's not really an argument it's a term. it would need some unpacking to know if it, in fact, is a straw man or a misnomer. what terms would you prefer? I've heard "fulfillment theology" as a contender, would you agree to that?

20. Tree of Life

+4,546
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    This just goes to show how bad communication has become on this issue.