Florida
✟13,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thoughts and ideas come into my mind at the most random of times, I believe that's God communicating with me, or sometimes I get a feeling to give someone one something, you know that inkling feeling that you get? Growing up I had an inner awareness of what was right and wrong with an inclination to do right, but sometimes I would do the wrong thing knowingly, I believe God' is that inkling feeling in us, that intuition.

Have you ever experienced having a thought, or idea pop into your head, or come across your mind? I believe God speaks to us like that. He speaks in many ways but this is the most personal. It's like radio waves and he's very gentle and subtle. he's like a mainframe and we are connected to him, messages and thoughts get uploaded and downloaded into us all the time. Sometimes we get gifts and opportunities in the form of thoughts and ideas from him miraculously. Don't miss it, write it down or text it to yourself. As well, when we pray we speak to God, prayers are a conversation, ask a question and wait' .. be silent, listen, wait for that subtle thought or idea to pop into your mind, or good feeling that overcomes you. Yes sometimes we get bad thoughts, that's not of God, that's from the other side, remove them and do not entertain them. Sometimes teenagers choose not to listen and miss their Father's message, ... So are we sometimes.

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You got it sis that's how it works !! So a couple of years ago now I was in my kitchen and had been undergoing a bit of a trial for some time. And now I was getting coffee ready this particular morning when suddenly into my head as if I wanted to say the words I thought Job, a minute later The Book Of Job, a few minutes later Job again. Finally I said ok ok, I'll start on Job tonight. I did that and read it a chapter or two at a time each night until done. Now thinking after completing the book, "what will we read next" I said to the Lord. Almost immediately into my head popped Job, The Book Of Job etc.. Ok I'll read it again. And when done once again I asked. This went on for three months until I finally zeroed in on the words of God out around chapter 38-40ish. And it finally spoke to me personally. He wanted me to see that He is in charge, for me there are many powerful things about Job but He wanted me to see Him, and even to wildlife and well in everything He is in charge.

By the way, I knew He had wanted me to read Job because some years ago I had already gone through this with both Corinthian books. But ya Renata even in the little thoughts He speaks to us just as you say. It says in scripture " He directs our paths" but we must have open ears and respond. In so many ways He has spoken to us who will listen. Amen

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
One day six years ago I was in hospital. That night alone on the ward in a hospital bed I heard God's voice. He was trying to communicate with me. Every Sunday morning I hear His voice too. There is one prayer that particularly resonates with me in times of trial, it is this one. See below.
Graciously loving Father, you hear the prayers of your people. Please respond to my cry for help. As I seek you, would you answer and deliver me from all my fears. The fears that threaten to overwhelm me don’t stand a chance in the light of your loving power. When I feel out of control, remind me that you are in control. You make all things work together for my good even when I don’t understand how that could be possible. Increase my faith in you. Through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

God’s

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
One day six years ago I was in hospital. That night alone on the ward in a hospital bed I heard God's voice. He was trying to communicate with me. Every Sunday morning I hear His voice too. There is one prayer that particularly resonates with me in times of trial, it is this one. See below.
Graciously loving Father, you hear the prayers of your people. Please respond to my cry for help. As I seek you, would you answer and deliver me from all my fears. The fears that threaten to overwhelm me don’t stand a chance in the light of your loving power. When I feel out of control, remind me that you are in control. You make all things work together for my good even when I don’t understand how that could be possible. Increase my faith in you. Through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

God’s
That's an awesome prayer and a great word I had to agree with, CG !

My go to at night or going to surgery etc is Psalm 23.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah - God is spirit so His spirit communicates with our spirit, which means we pick Him up like thoughts not sound waves - although He can make the thoughts strong enough and plain enough that the thought can seem to be coming from a sound wave. Mostly though He puts impressions on us.

Now that said we can practices seeking Him and listening for His voice and it will become clearer when it is Him. We should actually be picking Him up in words, not just impressions like thoughts. It is written that His "words are spirit". It like when you drive up to a stop sign. Who really takes the time to pick up the word "Stop" written on the sign as the word "Stop". We usually are just driving along and realize we get a thought from the sign telling us to stop. Yet we could pay closer attention, and with the Lord wouldn't it be wiser to pay closer attention? Still we all tend to just go down the road of life not paying all that much attention.

When I personally take the time to pay closer attention to Him and try picking up the words He has to say to me, those thoughts become clearer and in words which I can write down afterwards. The most common words I hear from Him are "Karl, I love you." I often hear Him asking me what I think about something, so we start talking about what's on my mind. I pick up lots of instructions too. They tend to be small things, even down to which way to turn.

Is 30:21 Your ears will hear a word behind you, “This is the way, walk in it,” whenever you turn to the right or to the left.

When I listen close I will pick Him up like Isaiah mentioned in the verse above. I think my favorite things He says to me are the sayings and parables He sometimes give me. Some are so interesting to me that I write them down for future reference - like:

WE HEAR WISDOM, BUT IS IT THE HEARING OR THE ACTING UPON IT THAT MAKES A MAN WISE?

YOU DIDN’T MAKE ME AN AWESOME GOD, BUT YOU CAN MAKE ME AN AWESOME GOD.

I have written down lots of those little sayings that He has given me, and a few that others got from the Lord too. He is so interesting. I like the parables He gives me also, like - The Big Bull Story

"There was this big bull. He was a very big bull. I mean a very very big bull!!! So he decided to fight the other bulls. You’ve heard of bull fights, right?

So this bull challenged another bull to a fight. He put on his boxing gloves and started to fight, but he lost! Can you believe it! This was a big bull!

So, he challenged another bull to a fight. Again he put on his boxing gloves and came out fighting, and again he lost!! This is no good. This was a very very big bull.

So again he challenged another bull to a fight, and again he lost! And again and again he challenged other bulls to a fight and again and again he lost.

It took this bull a long time to figure out, that if you are a bull you’ve got to use your head!! God did not make bulls to fight with their fists. God did not make you to fight with your fist either. You’ve got to use your head!!"

What I find tough is working in ministry, which He has had me do at times. He had me working in a healing ministry for Him and there it was very important to listen very close to Him, because He would have certain things He wanted handled and in certain ways. So He might tell me that someone had a bad knee, or shoulder, or He might want you to lead someone in forgiveness, and frankly I always felt a bit pressured trying to hear Him to get the instructions from Him correctly done. Yet I learned so very much when working in those ministries.

Anyway - concerning the OP - It is soo very important to understand what was written in the OP. It is about hearing from Him, and realizing that He puts thoughts and impressions on us is extremely important to understand. Of course the Spirit of God is not the only spirit and we have our thoughts also, so discernment is important. The Bible can help with that. There are instructions about how to test the spirits, and what to expect from God. Still, probably the most important thing to learn about hearing Him better is simply to understand that the more you practice listening to Him the better you are going to get at it! See Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

Upvote 0

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I am guided by the Holy Spirit each day and there are moments when God reveals a deep truth about me. Then there was the day when I heard God's voice. It was about 35 years ago when, as a teen, I was in a desperate state of mind. I was with a friend, it was night time and we were hanging out in a remote area. I had been feeling low for some time. Suddenly, I let out such a cry from deep within and I vaguely remember throwing my arms up into the night sky. I didn't know at the time but I was crying out to my heavenly Father to lift me up, like a child wants his father to pick him up and hold him.

A bright light shone from high up and I felt my whole body being held, every part of me and I was immediately at peace, like I had never known. Then I heard a low male voice say "Follow Jesus". The light vanished and I no longer felt I was being held. But I was amazed. I was astounded. God had spoken to me. I had to wait about 4 days before I could rush to church and give my life to Jesus. Years before, when I was about 10, some Gideons came to our school and gave each of us a small hardback copy of the New Testament and I read from cover to cover in about a day; I was so hungry for the Word. So, I knew what I had to do. None of my family were churchgoers but I was determined to become a Christian. Church was all new to me, but God had prepared the way and guided me through the Nicene Creed, which I sang for the first time ever, but it was like I had been declaring my faith in Jesus all my life. At the end of the service I was so happy and overwhelmed that I wept.

I remember the day I heard God's voice and no one can tell me it never happened. I am so happy and privileged to know Jesus and to know God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I wish i could hear Him...:(
Who knows when you will hear God's voice? Some people hear an audible voice, some hear God in their heart, some hear God's voice through other people. One God, one voice.

• Agree
Reactions: Renata8
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I were driving down the highway when I noticed a van pulled over on the side of the road. And on the other side of the van, there were people standing in a circle, and I said to my wife, "Hmm, I wonder what's going on there". Then I heard a voice answer inside of me, and it said, "These people have a flat tire and they have a spare, but they have no jack, and they're praying that someone will bring them a jack".

So I said to my wife, "I just heard a voice tell me those people have a flat tire and they have a spare but they have no jack and they're praying someone will bring them one". My wife then replied with astonishment, "I heard the same thing!"... Realizing this I said, "That's us!"

So I got off the next exit and got back on the highway going the other way and then got off the next exit and got back on again so I could pull up behind them. I got out of my truck and started walking toward them and they were watching me waiting for me to say something. So I said, "God told me you all were praying for someone to bring you a jack". They all began jumping up and down yelling with great joy, and it was a wonderful thing to watch and been a part of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I will always recognise the voice of God when He is speaking to me.
It is the voice that tells that I can trust in Him whatever my situation or circumstances, that nothing is impossible for Him, and that everything is within his control. I sometimes get the answers to my questions, but I always know that He is the answer.
It is the voice that tells me when I have sinned, but always tells me what I can do to put things right.
It is the voice that reminds me that I am loved, but also that others too are loved.
It is the voice that teaches me to forgive others and reassures me that I am forgiven.
It is the voice that always speaks in love, producing faith not fear, and hope but never condemnation.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish i could hear Him...:(

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

Rom 10:8 But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

I worked in a healing ministry for five years and so many times I have seen people hear from the Lord for the first time. It's actually easy to hear from Him! The hard part is believing it. So many! I remember an older lady who had been the secretary of a fair size church in town for 35 years and had never heard from the Lord. She came in with a problem in her shoulder. We prayed for the shoulder and the Lord healed her. Then I heard the Lord tell me about her needing to hear from Him. So I ask, she confirmed, and we simply prayed for her, explained, had her ask Him a question, and she heard from Him for the first time. I'd say at least 90% of the times we could get people hearing from or seeing Him. It's usually a matter of praying and believing, with a little bit of information how.

My advice is to first ask Jesus Christ to open up your ears and eyes. That is the prayer. It might help to get in a quite place, with perhaps some quite praise music in the background. If you have a place where you go to talk to Him, then go there.

Now, He said He is just standing there and looking to come in and talk to you if you open the door to Him. So let's try this. Close your eyes so you can easier look with your spiritual eyes. Ask the Lord Jesus Christ where the door is and ask Him to show it to you. Can you find a vision of a door inside you? If so, open the door and ask Jesus Christ if He would be willing to come in. What comes to you?

Now stay in the vision and continue to ask Him questions that are simple, like "Jesus, how to you fell about me?' Other questions that often were easy for people to hear by faith are "Jesus Christ, is there anything you want to tell me" or "Jesus Christ, is there anyone I need to forgive?", and sometimes we have people just ask Him for a vision of heaven, but you can ask Him anything.

The problem is that because we hear by faith, so some question take more faith to pick up. If you ask Him about the important things in your life, they are going to be harder to hear, because they take more faith to hear those answer. Faith comes from hearing, so the more you seek Him and listen, the more your faith develops. So even now I personally start by asking Him simple questions, then advance to the harder and more important questions. Note: The answer might be anything, even like "I can't tell you that." There can be reason that He can't tell you something, and those reason can be anything from Him giving other people options and choices that they have not yet made, or perhaps we can't believe the answer to even get and answer, to some things might have to happen first before that answer can be made plain to you.

Anyway, try the above for yourself and see how it works. Then keep practicing and seek Him, listening, and asking Him questions. If you are still having problems getting anything from Him, seek some help and prayer at your local church. You might also want to know that our faith gets blown around. Some days He is just easier to hear from the others. Jesus explained John the Baptist was the greatest born of women, but also compared him to a reed blowing in the wind. So keep seeking Him and considering wisely the things happening.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last week I was walking down a busy commercial street and a thought entered my mind to be on the lookout for a homeless person. Walking perhaps another twenty feet, or so, I encountered someone sitting against a brick building with a plastic cup in his hand sorta panhandling. I made a generous donation not caring how he would spend the money. Normally, this is not how I operate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last week I was walking down a busy commercial street and a thought entered my mind to be on the lookout for a homeless person. Walking perhaps another twenty feet, or so, I encountered someone sitting against a brick building with a plastic cup in his hand sorta panhandling. I made a generous donation not caring how he would spend the money. Normally, this is not how I operate.

I like it :)

That is how you pick up the Lord. He comes across with thoughts, which we might say enter our mind or we might say entered our hearts. It often seems those thoughts from Him actually tend to effect more out heart than our mind, but they are thought which we associate with our mind.

Still, there is more! And we don't think about that like we should.

If the Lord our God can put a thought into our mind, then can't He also pick up a thought from our mind?

If He can both pick up a thought from my mind and also put a thought into my mind, then I must be able to have conversations with Him. He is not rude is He, so as to not listen and talk to me, right?

So then, I must be able to talk to Him about all the areas of my life and not just the encounter with the homeless man on the street!!

I could get wisdom, I could get knowledge, and I could get understanding from Him. I could get advice about my job, about my wife, and about my life from Him.

We could be friends and talk all the time!

So maybe normally I am just another man walking down the street and occasionally picking up a thought that I realize must be from God, because I was not the type to normally give money to a homeless man, but I could be a better man who seeks the Lord for instructions and advice though out the day?

That thought occur to me shortly after the Lord came into my life and I start to realize that the Lord was there and putting thoughts in my mind or heart like; give to that homeless man. So I actually made an effort to seek after Him more and more.

It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be I get sidetracked so easily. I turn back to just going and doing things based upon my thoughts instead of seeking Him. Never-the-less, it wasn't impossible to seek Him and hear from Him. Actually it turned out to be easy to hear from Him, though usually hard to believe it. And because I get sidetracked so easily, I would have to try hard to remember during the day that I was supposed to be seeking Him and listening to Him.

So instead of walking and talking with all through the day I wound up seeking and finding Him at different times during the day. Usually I would hear from Him about a dozen times a day. Still, that change me from being my normal self!

I wound up telling people where I worked about Him - people didn't want to hear about Him and I lost my job. But He gave me another job and started telling me parables to tell them, so I didn't lose that job. Yet He had me quit it so I could open a Christian bookstore for Him. Not many people were interested in a Christian bookstore though, so He had me give it to a pastor who put it in his church. The Lord then had me selling books out of my home, which is a nice but not all the profitable work, and the Lord had me do other things for Him.

Since I had gotten good and seeking Him and finding Him, He asked me to work in a Christian healing ministry for a while. I would listen to Him and do what He was asking, while ministering to the people coming in. I saw Him do so many miracles there, just because we (all those working in that ministry) made it about seeking His instructions and what He had to say.

Then He had me monitoring a prayer room. Not many people come into that prayer room. It is just not something people seem to like to do, but sometimes. Often if they are going though a real tough time in their life. And with the experience I had gained, from the store, from healing ministry, and mostly from listening to Him; He would could work miracles their too. Even though only a few came in I could hear Him. There was the lady He said had a bad stomach, and when I ask she said it was very bad and hurt her a lot. We prayed for her and the Lord performed a miracle. There was the man with the back problem. That was not so bad, as it turned out. It only hurt a bit. I prayed for it but mostly what he had a problem with his parents rejecting him. So I listened and we talked. Often that can be more healing. Still the back and the emotional pain were both better when he left.

So what is the point?

Let us not just be so normal! Be extra normal. Listen to the Lord more! He can do more with us if we seek Him and not just wait for Him to seek us!!

Still - I liked the testimony about hearing from the Lord and giving to the homeless man because of what God said!

Upvote 0

Renata8

God is good always
Jun 14, 2020
Florida
✟13,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Sometimes God speaks to us through people. You might be in church and get a message from what's being preached, and get an answer to a looming question you had, or an unresolved issue.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes God speaks to us through people. You might be in church and get a message from what's being preached, and get an answer to a looming question you had, or an unresolved issue.

It doesn't actually speak to us through other people but He uses other people to communicate with us.

This might seem like nit picking but there is a very important difference to understand. The difference is that the Lord wants a personal relationship with us!!

Yet we people have a tendency to not believe or not want Him to talk to us at times, or subjects. If we are having trouble believing what the Lord has been saying to us, then He tends to use another person to confirm what we have already been hearing from Him. If we don't want Him to talk to us then He is going to seen others to tells us in someway or another that He does want to talk to us. If it is about a certain subject that we don't want to hear about, the Lord is going to find cleaver ways and use other people to point out the things we don't want to be brought up.

Now there are other reasons God uses others even if we are looking to Him about every aspect of our lives. They don't have to do so much with our personal relationship with God, but are usually about our relationship with others, so I have them noted separately. Some of them have to do with developing others and yourself at the same time. It is written that if you teach, don't you teach yourself. So the Lord tends to give one person a message or teaching to another person so both can learn, and this also brings us into relationships with other people. He might also provide a message to one for another to encourage, or even to just create friendships with others. The Lord is God and so His thinking and ways are far beyond ours.

So yes indeed God uses other people to communicate messages and teaching. He even had other people write the Scriptures which we should read and learn from. They are encouraging, in that we can read in them that the Lord really exists and wants to talk to us personally.

But if God wants to talk to you personally, is it advisable to actually say the He talks though other people?

I have meet way too many people that tend to look to other people, like their pastors, leaders, and one they like to call 'Saints' for a word from the Lord! Yet they hardly ever listen to the Lord by faith for what He has to say to them personally.

I have also meet way too many people that have told me that God speaks to them thought the Scriptures, yet in their heart they tell themselves that Jesus Christ is either dead or in a far off place called heaven, so they don't look for the word of God in their hearts or on their own lips! This was a huge problem which Moses had to address with the people and that Paul had to write to the Romans about.

So if I say that God speaks though other people am I preaching that the word is near us, like Moses and Paul. The answer is "no", I not then preaching the word is near us, I am preaching the word is near them! So I recommend strongly that the word of God is near "us" personally, but it is worth while noting that He is also near them too. So it is worth noting that God can and does use other to communicate with us. That is not the word of God I am preaching, because I am preaching a personal relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ, but still we should and will get that understanding if we are actually listening to Him.

Since this thread is about what we have heard from the Lord, I will add this little parable the Lord once told me:

OWL:

There was a very wise owl that lived in the forest. He had excellent eyesight, but he couldn’t hear very well. One day he was talking to a deer. He was standing right next to this deer friend when a hunter walked into the woods and shot the deer. Because the owl couldn’t hear very well, all the owl could say was Who—Whooo?

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everyday the Lord puts instructions into my head and nudges me towards doing certain things but i also hear from the enemy daily. He works tirelessly to keep me in bondage and to keep me from fully serving the Lord

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyday the Lord puts instructions into my head and nudges me towards doing certain things but i also hear from the enemy daily. He works tirelessly to keep me in bondage and to keep me from fully serving the Lord

Yes - that is the way it is. That is the way it is also explained in the Scriptures. We read that we don't battle with flesh and blood but the powers, principalities, and dark forces in the world and too often people think that only applies to others, not them. Paul also explained that he did the things he didn't want to, but if he was not wanting to do them then it had to be sin in him. So he concluded that evil was present in Him (Rm 7). John, in 1 Jn explained that the person that says that they didn't have sin is the person who didn't have the truth.

The truth is that their is a spiritual realm around us and that God put before us both good and evil. So we choose good (and only God is good) but we have a battle with evil. The Lord is the light, in that He shows us this situation. The devil certainly doesn't want us aware. So Jesus gives us eyes to see and ears to hear.

So just like if you go to the park you might find a priest or a robber, in the same way if you if you see and hear with your spiritual ears you can pick up both good and evil. That is why the Bible goes over discernment of spirits. If all we heard as Christians were words from the Lord then there would be no need for discernment of spirit. In Heb 5, the last part, we read a conversation about being dull of hearing so that we need to practice using our spiritual senses, and that practice helps us know how to discern between good and evil. That would not be the case if we only heard from good when we heard.

So I find it a bit amusing that if you take the time to explain this to other Christians, so often they want to pray for you. It's nice to get the prayers. I take them anytime, but it shows that many don't actually spend time hearing and discerning what it going on around them. How can you choose good as opposed to evil if you are unware of both?

There is a book C S Lewis wrote called Screwtape Letters. It is made up, but it shows a general awareness of what it is going on around us. And we see little cartoons with an angel on one shoulder and a demon on the other, both talking to the character in the middle. So we know about this, but somehow get all religious and convince ourselves that we don't battle with good and evil. In that case you don't check the spirits. You don't use discernment.

The Point? The newbie 'Lord Give Me a Sign' has it figured out a lot better that so many Christians I have meet. He is someone paying attention.

Still, this thread was about what we hear from the Lord, so let me end with a Chicken Joke the Lord once told me:

In the barnyard there was a big fat chicken, a medium sized chicken, and a small chicken; which one did the fox go for?

Answer: The fox went for the chicken fastest from the dog of course!

If you want to have less trouble with the fox stay closer to God.

Upvote 0