Country
Guam
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I respect the view you state, and the foundations on which you make the claim you do, however ...
  • The Church was founded by Christ upon Peter.
I understand the exegesis on which you base this argument, however I don't think it is the only way to understand the text, and it would be ingracious not to understand that there other ways to understand the text.
  • Christ gave only Peter the keys to the kingdom of Heaven.
My understanding of the text is that this has to do with the forgiveness of sins, and that on a wider canvas our thinking on this should matter should also take into account the Lord's Prayer.
  • Christ established Peter as the leader of the Apostles and told Peter three times to take care of the entire flock.
I think this is a matter where I struggle a little, in that I feel you have stepped beyond the clear understanding of the text, and for example, it seems that in Acts 15 James seems to have been acting as a leader of the Apostles. There is nowhere in Scripture where we see Peter speaking in a way that could not be questioned, or even disagreed with.
  • Because Christ established Peter as the leader, the rest of the Apostles were supposed to follow Peter's leadership.
This is by no means clear in Scripture.
  • This is also true with the successors of Peter.
The sense of apostolic succession is not one which I will argue against. However it most surely applies to the Patriarchs of Antioch as much as to Rome.
  • The key given to Peter by Christ was handed down to His successors.
The keys do not have a physical reality, but I am not arguing with the transmission of the apostolic command to declare the forgiveness of sins.
The matter of authority on the Church perhaps needs to be understood in terms of another passage:

Matthew 20:25-28
But Jesus called them to him and said, ‘You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. It will not be so among you; but whoever wishes to be great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be your slave; just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.’​
Christ established Peter and only Peter as the Leader of the Apostles, and the keys He gave to him symbolized that authority. Being the Leader of the Apostles, the rest of the other Apostles were supposed to follow Peter's leadership.

1. Matthew 16:18 (RSV) And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church; and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. The rock (Greek, petra) is St. Peter himself, not his faith. Jesus is the Architect who “builds.” Today, the overwhelming consensus of biblical commentators of all stripes favors this traditional Catholic understanding. St. Peter is the foundation-stone of the Church, making him head and superior of the family, but not founder of the Church; administrator, but not Lord of the Church.

2. Peter alone received the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, which symbolized authority. The “power of the keys” (according to many Bible commentators) has to do with ecclesiastical discipline and administrative authority with regard to the requirements of the faith, as in Isaiah 22:22 (cf. Is 9:6; Job 12:14; Rev 3:7). This entails the use of excommunication, absolution, imposition of penances and legislative powers. In the Old Testament a steward, or prime minister is a man who is “over a house” (Gen 41:40; 43:19; 44:4; 1 Ki 4:6; 16:9; 18:3; 2 Ki 10:5; 15:5; 18:18; Is 22:15, 20-21).

3. Matthew 16:19 . . . whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. “Binding” and “loosing” were originally technical rabbinical terms, which meant to “forbid” and “permit” with reference to the interpretation of the law, and secondarily to “condemn” or “acquit.” Thus, St. Peter (and by logical extension, future popes) is given the authority to determine binding rules for the Church's doctrine and life. “Binding and loosing” represent the legislative and judicial powers of the papacy and the bishops (Mt 18:17-18; Jn 20:23), and the power to absolve. St. Peter, however, is the only apostle who receives these powers by name and in a singular sense, making him pre-eminent.

4. St. Peter's was always first whenever the 12 Apostles were listed in the Bible(Mt 10:2; Mk 3:16; Lk 6:14; Acts 1:13). Matthew even calls him the “first” (10:2). Judas Iscariot is invariably mentioned last. This means something.

5. Peter always acted as the spokesman for the Apostles (Matthew 15:15, 17:23, 18:21; Mark 10:28 and John 6:69).

6. It was on Peter's boat whom Christ preached to the crowd, and that was not a coincidence that He chose Peter's boat, Christ teaches from Peter's boat, and a miraculous catch of fish follows (Lk 5:1-11): perhaps a metaphor for the pope as a “fisher of men” (cf. Mt 4:19).

7. John was the first person to reach the tomb of Christ, but he didn't enter it. He waited for Peter out of respect because Peter was the leader. Thus, Peter was the first apostle to enter the empty tomb of the risen Jesus (Jn 20:6).

8. Peter alone among the apostles is mentioned by name as having been prayed for by Jesus Christ in order that his “faith may not fail” (Lk 22:32).

9. Peter alone among the apostles is exhorted by Jesus to “strengthen” the Christian “brethren” (Lk 22:32).

10. Jesus paid the temple tax only for Himself and for Peter. (Matthew 17:24-27)

11. After Christ's ascension, it was Peter who made the decision to replace Judas Iscariot (Acts 1:15-23)

12. St. Peter was the first to speak after Pentecost, and to “preach the gospel” (Acts 2:14-36).

13. Peter is regarded by Jesus as the Chief Shepherd after Himself (Jn 21:15-17: “Feed my lambs . . . Tend my sheep . . . feed my sheep.”), singularly by name, and over the universal Church, even though others have a similar but subordinate role (Acts 20:28; 1 Pet 5:1-2).

14, Peter works the first miracle, healing a lame man (Acts 3:6-12).

15. Peter was the first traveling missionary, and the first to exercise the “visitation of the churches” (Acts 9:32-38, 43). Paul's missionary journeys begin in Acts 13:2.

16. Peter was the first to receive the Gentiles into the fellowship of the Catholic Church, after a revelation from God (Acts 10:9-48).

17. At the Council of Jerusalem, it was Peter who presided over and is pre-eminent in the first Church-wide council of Christianity (Acts 15:7-11). Peter spoke FIRST and then James spoke AFTER Peter. James agreed with Peter.

18. St. Peter's name is mentioned more often than all the other disciples put together: 191 times (162 as Peter or Simon Peter, 23 as Simon, and 6 as Cephas). John is next in frequency with only 48 appearances.

The matter of authority on the Church perhaps needs to be understood in terms of another passage:

Matthew 20:25-28 But Jesus called them to him and said, ‘You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. It will not be so among you; but whoever wishes to be great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be your slave; just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.’

This is why there was a schism. Christ already designated a leader, but the other Church Patriarchs don't want to recognize that leader. They want to be leaders themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Christ established Peter and only Peter as the Leader of the Apostles, and the keys He gave to him symbolized that authority. Being the Leader of the Apostles, the rest of the other Apostles were supposed to follow Peter's leadership.

1. Matthew 16:18 (RSV) And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church; and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. The rock (Greek, petra) is St. Peter himself, not his faith. Jesus is the Architect who “builds.” Today, the overwhelming consensus of biblical commentators of all stripes favors this traditional Catholic understanding. St. Peter is the foundation-stone of the Church, making him head and superior of the family, but not founder of the Church; administrator, but not Lord of the Church.

2. Peter alone received the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, which symbolized authority. The “power of the keys” (according to many Bible commentators) has to do with ecclesiastical discipline and administrative authority with regard to the requirements of the faith, as in Isaiah 22:22 (cf. Is 9:6; Job 12:14; Rev 3:7). This entails the use of excommunication, absolution, imposition of penances and legislative powers. In the Old Testament a steward, or prime minister is a man who is “over a house” (Gen 41:40; 43:19; 44:4; 1 Ki 4:6; 16:9; 18:3; 2 Ki 10:5; 15:5; 18:18; Is 22:15, 20-21).

3. Matthew 16:19 . . . whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. “Binding” and “loosing” were originally technical rabbinical terms, which meant to “forbid” and “permit” with reference to the interpretation of the law, and secondarily to “condemn” or “acquit.” Thus, St. Peter (and by logical extension, future popes) is given the authority to determine binding rules for the Church's doctrine and life. “Binding and loosing” represent the legislative and judicial powers of the papacy and the bishops (Mt 18:17-18; Jn 20:23), and the power to absolve. St. Peter, however, is the only apostle who receives these powers by name and in a singular sense, making him pre-eminent.

4. St. Peter's was always first whenever the 12 Apostles were listed in the Bible(Mt 10:2; Mk 3:16; Lk 6:14; Acts 1:13). Matthew even calls him the “first” (10:2). Judas Iscariot is invariably mentioned last. This means something.

5. Peter always acted as the spokesman for the Apostles (Matthew 15:15, 17:23, 18:21; Mark 10:28 and John 6:69).

6. It was on Peter's boat whom Christ preached to the crowd, and that was not a coincidence that He chose Peter's boat, Christ teaches from Peter's boat, and a miraculous catch of fish follows (Lk 5:1-11): perhaps a metaphor for the pope as a “fisher of men” (cf. Mt 4:19).

7. John was the first person to reach the tomb of Christ, but he didn't enter it. He waited for Peter out of respect because Peter was the leader. Thus, Peter was the first apostle to enter the empty tomb of the risen Jesus (Jn 20:6).

8. Peter alone among the apostles is mentioned by name as having been prayed for by Jesus Christ in order that his “faith may not fail” (Lk 22:32).

9. Peter alone among the apostles is exhorted by Jesus to “strengthen” the Christian “brethren” (Lk 22:32).

10. Jesus paid the temple tax only for Himself and for Peter. (Matthew 17:24-27)

11. After Christ's ascension, it was Peter who made the decision to replace Judas Iscariot (Acts 1:15-23)

12. St. Peter was the first to speak after Pentecost, and to “preach the gospel” (Acts 2:14-36).

13. Peter is regarded by Jesus as the Chief Shepherd after Himself (Jn 21:15-17: “Feed my lambs . . . Tend my sheep . . . feed my sheep.”), singularly by name, and over the universal Church, even though others have a similar but subordinate role (Acts 20:28; 1 Pet 5:1-2).

14, Peter works the first miracle, healing a lame man (Acts 3:6-12).

15. Peter was the first traveling missionary, and the first to exercise the “visitation of the churches” (Acts 9:32-38, 43). Paul's missionary journeys begin in Acts 13:2.

16. Peter was the first to receive the Gentiles into the fellowship of the Catholic Church, after a revelation from God (Acts 10:9-48).

17. At the Council of Jerusalem, it was Peter who presided over and is pre-eminent in the first Church-wide council of Christianity (Acts 15:7-11). Peter spoke FIRST and then James spoke AFTER Peter. James agreed with Peter.

18. St. Peter's name is mentioned more often than all the other disciples put together: 191 times (162 as Peter or Simon Peter, 23 as Simon, and 6 as Cephas). John is next in frequency with only 48 appearances.

This is why there was a schism. Christ already designated a leader, but the other Church Patriarchs don't want to recognize that leader. They want to be leaders themselves.
The Pope was never Supreme nor Infallible, there was even a pope anathematized by an Ecumenical Council.

Upvote 0

Selene03

Feb 9, 2019
Hagatna
✟15,025.00
Country
Guam
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The Pope was never Supreme nor Infallible, there was even a pope anathematized by an Ecumenical Council.
According to Scripture, there is no doubt that the Apostles Peter was the leader of the Apostles. The key (authority) given to Peter was passed to his successors.

As for infallibility, if you don't believe that the Apostles had infallibility, then how can you trust their oral teachings, which was passed on before the books of the Bible was written? Don't you believe that the infallible Holy Spirit can speak through fallible men? The gift of infallibility did not die with the Apostles.

Mathew 10:20 for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
According to Scripture, there is no doubt that the Apostles Peter was the leader of the Apostles. The key (authority) given to Peter was passed to his successors.

As for infallibility, if you don't believe that the Apostles had infallibility, then how can you trust their oral teachings, which was passed on before the books of the Bible was written? Don't you believe that the infallible Holy Spirit can speak through fallible men? The gift of infallibility did not die with the Apostles.

Mathew 10:20 for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.
All of the Apostles had the keys, and no man is infallible otherwise Peter wouldn't have been rebuked by Paul.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,557.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christ obviously forgot to pass on the memo to the other Apostles. Where were they told that Peter was now their leader, that they should listen to him and obey his instructions?
1. Matthew 16:18 (RSV) And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church; and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. The rock (Greek, petra) is St. Peter himself, not his faith.
According to Archbishop Kenrick of St Louis (Roman Catholic), his research into the Church Fathers found:
  1. "That St. Peter is the Rock" is taught by seventeen (17) Fathers
  2. That the whole Apostolic College is the Rock, represented by Peter as its chief, is taught by eight (8) Church Fathers
  3. That St. Peter's faith is the Rock, is taught by forty-four (44) church Fathers
  4. That Christ is the Rock, is taught by sixteen Fathers (16)
  5. That the rock is the whole body of the faithful. (no figure given)
Jesus is the Architect who “builds.” Today, the overwhelming consensus of biblical commentators of all stripes favors this traditional Catholic understanding.
:doh:
St. Peter is the foundation-stone of the Church, making him head and superior of the family, but not founder of the Church; administrator, but not Lord of the Church.
You contradict the Scriptures:

Ephesians 2:19-21
So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord​

Revelation 21:10-14
And in the Spirit he carried me away to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. It had a great, high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel were inscribed; on the east three gates, on the north three gates, on the south three gates, and on the west three gates. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

2. Peter alone received the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven
Not according to St John Chrysostom, nor other Church Fathers.

Thus, St. Peter (and by logical extension, future popes) is given the authority to determine binding rules for the Church's doctrine and life.
There is nothing logical about your extension. It is simply a claim without basis.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
According to Archbishop Kenrick of St Louis (Roman Catholic), his research into the Church Fathers found:
  2. That the whole Apostolic College is the Rock, represented by Peter as its chief, is taught by eight (8) Church Fathers
  3. That St. Peter's faith is the Rock, is taught by forty-four (44) church Fathers

The Roman Catholic Church teaches three sources of infallible authority:
1. The Pope, speaking ex cathedra
2. The bishops, in council
3. The whole body of the faithful

So that's pretty close to the Archbishop's research of scripture.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Church was founded by Christ upon Peter. Christ gave only Peter the keys to the kingdom of Heaven. Christ established Peter as the leader of the Apostles and told Peter three times to take care of the entire flock. Because Christ established Peter as the leader, the rest of the Apostles were supposed to follow Peter's leadership. This is also true with the successors of Peter. The key given to Peter by Christ was handed down to His successors.

I just don’t see apostolic succession in the scriptures and Roman popes are claimed to be the successors but forgive me for saying this but the actions of Roman popes were very unchristian like for a very long period. For example the inquisitions which lasted for 686 years were sanctioned by 99 Roman popes during that time, all of which claimed to be successors of Peter.

Upvote 0

Selene03

Feb 9, 2019
Hagatna
✟15,025.00
Country
Guam
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Christ obviously forgot to pass on the memo to the other Apostles. Where were they told that Peter was now their leader, that they should listen to him and obey his instructions?

:doh:

You contradict the Scriptures:

Ephesians 2:19-21
So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord​

Revelation 21:10-14
And in the Spirit he carried me away to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. It had a great, high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel were inscribed; on the east three gates, on the north three gates, on the south three gates, and on the west three gates. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Not according to St John Chrysostom, nor other Church Fathers.

There is nothing logical about your extension. It is simply a claim without basis.

On the contrary, they received the memo. And the Church Fathers were well aware of the primacy of Peter and his successors. Let me start with St. John Chrysostom and the rest of the Eastern Fathers. Below is a list of some of the Fathers of the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Eastern Churches were fully aware of the primacy of Peter and his successors.......that is until 1054:

Constantinople
St. John Chrysostom, Patriarch of Constantinople (c. 387)
Peter himself the Head or Crown of the Apostles, the First in the Church, the Friend of Christ, who received a revelation, not from man, but from the Father, as the Lord bears witness to him, saying, 'Blessed art thou, This very Peter and when I name Peter I name that unbroken Rock, that firm Foundation, the Great Apostle, First of the disciples, the First called, and the First who obeyed he was guilty ...even denying the Lord." (Chrysostom, T. ii. Hom)

Peter, the Leader of the choir of Apostles, the Mouth of the disciples, the Pillar of the Church, the Buttress of the faith, the Foundation of the confession, the Fisherman of the universe. (Chrysostom, T. iii Hom).

Peter, that Leader of the choir, that Mouth of the rest of the Apostles, that Head of the brotherhood, that one set over the entire universe, that Foundation of the Church. (Chrys. In illud hoc Scitote)

(Peter), the foundation of the Church, the Coryphaeus of the choir of the Apostles, the vehement lover of Christ ...he who ran throughout the whole world, who fished the whole world; this holy Coryphaeus of the blessed choir; the ardent disciple, who was entrusted with the keys of heaven, who received the spiritual revelation. Peter, the mouth of all Apostles, the head of that company, the ruler of the whole world. (De Eleemos, iii. 4; Hom. de decem mille tal. 3)

In those days Peter rose up in the midst of the disciples (Acts 15), both as being ardent, and as intrusted by Christ with the flock ...he first acts with authority in the matter, as having all put into his hands ; for to him Christ said, 'And thou, being converted, confirm thy brethren. (Chrysostom, Hom. iii Act Apost. tom. ix.)

He passed over his fall, and appointed him first of the Apostles; wherefore He said: ' 'Simon, Simon,' etc. (in Ps. cxxix. 2). God allowed him to fall, because He meant to make him ruler over the whole world, that, remembering his own fall, he might forgive those who should slip in the future. And that what I have said is no guess, listen to Christ Himself saying: 'Simon, Simon, etc.' (Chrys, Hom. quod frequenter conveniendum sit 5, cf. Hom 73 in Joan 5).

And why, then, passing by the others, does He converse with Peter on these things? (John 21:15). He was the chosen one of the Apostles, and the mouth of the disciples, and the leader of the choir. On this account, Paul also went up on a time to see him rather than the others (Galatians 1:18). And withal, to show him that he must thenceforward have confidence, as the denial was done away with, He puts into his hands the presidency over the brethren. And He brings not forward the denial, nor reproches him with what had past, but says, 'If you love me, preside over the brethren ...and the third time He gives him the same injunction, showing what a price He sets the presidency over His own sheep. And if one should say, 'How then did James receive the throne of Jerusalem?,' this I would answer that He appointed this man (Peter) teacher, not of that throne, but of the whole world. (Chrysostom, In Joan. Hom. 1xxxviii. n. 1, tom. viii)

John VI, Patriarch of Constantinople (715)
The Pope of Rome, the head of the Christian priesthood, whom in Peter, the Lord commanded to confirm his brethren. (John VI, Epist. ad Constantin. Pap. ad. Combefis, Auctuar. Bibl. P.P. Graec.tom. ii. p. 211, seq.)

St. Nicephorus, Patriarch of Constantinople (758-828)
Without whom (the Romans presiding in the seventh Council) a doctrine brought forward in the Church could not, even though confirmed by canonical decrees and by ecclesiastical usuage, ever obtain full approval or currency. For it is they (the Popes of Rome) who have had assigned to them the rule in sacred things, and who have received into their hands the dignity of headship among the Apostles. (Nicephorus, Niceph. Cpl. pro. s. imag. c 25 [Mai N. Bibl. pp. ii. 30]).

St. Maximus the Confessor (c. 650)
A celebrated theologian and a native of Constantinople
The extremities of the earth, and everyone in every part of it who purely and rightly confess the Lord, look directly towards the Most Holy Roman Church and her confession and faith, as to a sun of unfailing light awaiting from her the brilliant radiance of the sacred dogmas of our Fathers, according to that which the inspired and holy Councils have stainlessly and piously decreed. For, from the descent of the Incarnate Word amongst us, all the churches in every part of the world have held the greatest Church alone to be their base and foundation, seeing that, according to the promise of Christ Our Savior, the gates of hell will never prevail against her, that she has the keys of the orthodox confession and right faith in Him, that she opens the true and exclusive religion to such men as approach with piety, and she shuts up and locks every heretical mouth which speaks against the Most High. (Maximus, Opuscula theologica et polemica, Migne, Patr. Graec. vol. 90)

How much more in the case of the clergy and Church of the Romans, which from old until now presides over all the churches which are under the sun? Having surely received this canonically, as well as from councils and the apostles, as from the princes of the latter (Peter and Paul), and being numbered in their company, she is subject to no writings or issues in synodical documents, on account of the eminence of her pontificate .....even as in all these things all are equally subject to her (the Church of Rome) according to sacerodotal law. And so when, without fear, but with all holy and becoming confidence, those ministers (the popes) are of the truly firm and immovable rock, that is of the most great and Apostolic Church of Rome. (Maximus, in J.B. Mansi, ed. Amplissima Collectio Conciliorum, vol. 10)

If the Roman See recognizes Pyrrhus to be not only a reprobate but a heretic, it is certainly plain that everyone who anathematizes those who have rejected Pyrrhus also anathematizes the See of Rome, that is, he anathematizes the Catholic Church. I need hardly add that he excommunicates himself also, if indeed he is in communion with the Roman See and the Catholic Church of God ...Let him hasten before all things to satisfy the Roman See, for if it is satisfied, all will agree in calling him pious and orthodox. For he only speaks in vain who thinks he ought to pursuade or entrap persons like myself, and does not satisfy and implore the blessed Pope of the most holy Catholic Church of the Romans, that is, the Apostolic See, which is from the incarnate of the Son of God Himself, and also all the holy synods, accodring to the holy canons and definitions has received universal and surpreme dominion, authority, and power of binding and loosing over all the holy churches of God throughout the whole world. (Maximus, Letter to Peter, in Mansi x, 692).

Jerusalem
St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Patriarch (363)
Our Lord Jesus Christ then became a man, but by the many He was not known. But wishing to teach that which was not known, having assembled the disciples, He asked, 'Whom do men say that the Son of man is?' ...And all being silent (for it was beyond man to learn) Peter, the Foremost of the Apostles, the Chief Herald of the Church, not using the language of his own finding, nor persuaded by human reasoning, but having his mind enlightened by the Father, says to Him, 'Thou art the Christ,' not simply that, but 'the Son of the living God.' (Cyril, Catech. xi. n. 3)

For Peter was there, who carrieth the keys of heaven. (Cyril, Catechetical Lectures A.D. 350).

Peter, the chief and foremost leader of the Apostles, before a little maid thrice denied the Lord, but moved to penitence, he wept bitterly. (Cyril, Catech ii. n. 15)

In the power of the same Holy Spirit, Peter, also the foremost of the Apostles and the key-bearer of the Kingdom of Heaven, healed Aeneas the paralytic in the name of Christ. (Cyril, Catech. xviii. n. 27)

St. Sophronius, Patriarch of Jerusalem (c. 638)
Teaching us all orthodoxy and destroying all heresy and driving it away from the God-protected halls of our holy Catholic Church. And together with these inspired syllables and characters, I accept all his (the pope's) letters and teachings as proceeding from the mouth of Peter the Coryphaeus, and I kiss them and salute them and embrace them with all my soul ... I recognize the latter as definitions of Peter and the former as those of Mark, and besides, all the heaven-taught teachings of all the chosen mystagogues of our Catholic Church. (Sophronius, Mansi, xi. 461)

Transverse quickly all the world from one end to the other until you come to the Apostolic See (Rome), where are the foundations of the orthodox doctrine. Make clearly known to the most holy personages of that throne the questions agitated among us. Cease not to pray and to beg them until their apostolic and Divine wisdom shall have pronounced the victorious judgement and destroyed from the foundation ...the new heresy. (Sophronius, [quoted by Bishop Stephen of Dora to Pope Martin I at the Lateran Council], Mansi, 893)

Alexandria
Eulogius of Alexandria (581)
Born in Syria, he became the abbot of the Mother of God monastery at Antioch. In 579, he was made Patriarch of Alexandria; and became an associate of St. Gregory the Great while visiting Constantinople. Much of their subsequent correspondence is still extant.

Neither to John, nor to any other of the disciples, did our Savior say, 'I will give to thee the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven,' but only to Peter. (Eulogius, Lib. ii. Cont. Novatian. ap. Photium, Biblioth, cod. 280)

St. Cyril of Alexandria (c. 424)
He suffers him no longer to be called Simon, exercising authority and rule over him already having become His own. By a title suitable to the thing, He changed his name into Peter, from the word 'petra' (rock); for on him He was afterwards to found His Church. (Cyril, T. iv. Comm. in Joan., p. 131)

He (Christ) promises to found the Church, assigning immovableness to it, as He is the Lord of strength, and over this He sets Peter as shepherd. (Cyril, Comm. on Matt., ad loc.)

Antioch
Theodoret, Bishop of Cyrus in Syria (450)
A native of Antioch, Theodoret ruled under the Antiochean Patriarch.

I therefore beseech your holiness to persuade the most holy and blessed bishop (Pope Leo) to use his Apostolic power, and to order me to hasten to your Council. For that most holy throne (Rome) has the sovereignty over the churches throughout the universe on many grounds. (Theodoret, Tom. iv. Epist. cxvi. Renato, p. 1197).

If Paul, the herald of the truth, the trumpet of the Holy Spirit, hastened to the great Peter, to convey from him the solution to those in Antioch, who were at issue about living under the law, how much more do we, poor and humble, run to the Apostolic Throne (Rome) to receive from you (Pope Leo) healing for wounds of the the Churches. For it pertains to you to have primacy in all things; for your throne is adorned with many prerogatives. (Theodoret Ibid, Epistle Leoni)

Cyprus
St. Epiphanius, Archbishop of Salamis (385)
Holy men are therefore called the temple of God, because the Holy Spirit dwells in them; as that Chief of the Apostles testifies, he that was found to be blessed by the Lord, because the Father had revealed unto him. To him then did the Father reveal His true Son; and the same (Peter) furthermore reveals the Holy Spirit. This was befitting in the First of the Apostles, that firm Rock upon which the Church of God is built, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. The gates of hell are heretics and heresiarchs. For in every way was the faith confirmed in him who received the keys of heaven; who looses on earth and binds in heaven. For in him are found all subtle questions of faith. He was aided by the Father so as to be (or lay) the Foundation of the security (firmness) of the faith. He (Peter) heard from the same God, 'feed my lambs'; to him He entrusted the flock; he leads the way admirably in the power of his own Master. (Epiphanius, T. ii. in Anchor).

Sergius, Metropolitain of Cyprus (649)
Writing to Pope Theodore:
O Holy Head, Christ our God hath destined thy Apostolic See to be an immovable foundation and a pillar of the Faith. For thou art, as the Divine Word truly saith, Peter, and on thee as a foundation-stone have the pillars of the Church been fixed. (Sergius Ep. ad Theod. lecta in Sess. ii. Concil. Lat. anno 649)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,557.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
On the contrary, they received the memo. And the Church Fathers were well aware of the primacy of Peter and his successors. Let me start with St. John Chrysostom and the rest of the Eastern Fathers. Below is a list of some of the Fathers of the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Eastern Churches were fully aware of the primacy of Peter and his successors.......that is until 1054:

Constantinople
St. John Chrysostom, Patriarch of Constantinople (c. 387)
Peter himself the Head or Crown of the Apostles, the First in the Church, the Friend of Christ, who received a revelation, not from man, but from the Father, as the Lord bears witness to him, saying, 'Blessed art thou, This very Peter and when I name Peter I name that unbroken Rock, that firm Foundation, the Great Apostle, First of the disciples, the First called, and the First who obeyed he was guilty ...even denying the Lord." (Chrysostom, T. ii. Hom)

Peter, the Leader of the choir of Apostles, the Mouth of the disciples, the Pillar of the Church, the Buttress of the faith, the Foundation of the confession, the Fisherman of the universe. (Chrysostom, T. iii Hom).

Peter, that Leader of the choir, that Mouth of the rest of the Apostles, that Head of the brotherhood, that one set over the entire universe, that Foundation of the Church. (Chrys. In illud hoc Scitote)

(Peter), the foundation of the Church, the Coryphaeus of the choir of the Apostles, the vehement lover of Christ ...he who ran throughout the whole world, who fished the whole world; this holy Coryphaeus of the blessed choir; the ardent disciple, who was entrusted with the keys of heaven, who received the spiritual revelation. Peter, the mouth of all Apostles, the head of that company, the ruler of the whole world. (De Eleemos, iii. 4; Hom. de decem mille tal. 3)

In those days Peter rose up in the midst of the disciples (Acts 15), both as being ardent, and as intrusted by Christ with the flock ...he first acts with authority in the matter, as having all put into his hands ; for to him Christ said, 'And thou, being converted, confirm thy brethren. (Chrysostom, Hom. iii Act Apost. tom. ix.)

He passed over his fall, and appointed him first of the Apostles; wherefore He said: ' 'Simon, Simon,' etc. (in Ps. cxxix. 2). God allowed him to fall, because He meant to make him ruler over the whole world, that, remembering his own fall, he might forgive those who should slip in the future. And that what I have said is no guess, listen to Christ Himself saying: 'Simon, Simon, etc.' (Chrys, Hom. quod frequenter conveniendum sit 5, cf. Hom 73 in Joan 5).

And why, then, passing by the others, does He converse with Peter on these things? (John 21:15). He was the chosen one of the Apostles, and the mouth of the disciples, and the leader of the choir. On this account, Paul also went up on a time to see him rather than the others (Galatians 1:18). And withal, to show him that he must thenceforward have confidence, as the denial was done away with, He puts into his hands the presidency over the brethren. And He brings not forward the denial, nor reproches him with what had past, but says, 'If you love me, preside over the brethren ...and the third time He gives him the same injunction, showing what a price He sets the presidency over His own sheep. And if one should say, 'How then did James receive the throne of Jerusalem?,' this I would answer that He appointed this man (Peter) teacher, not of that throne, but of the whole world. (Chrysostom, In Joan. Hom. 1xxxviii. n. 1, tom. viii)

The Pope of Rome, the head of the Christian priesthood, whom in Peter, the Lord commanded to confirm his brethren. (John VI, Epist. ad Constantin. Pap. ad. Combefis, Auctuar. Bibl. P.P. Graec.tom. ii. p. 211, seq.)

St. Nicephorus, Patriarch of Constantinople (758-828)
Without whom (the Romans presiding in the seventh Council) a doctrine brought forward in the Church could not, even though confirmed by canonical decrees and by ecclesiastical usuage, ever obtain full approval or currency. For it is they (the Popes of Rome) who have had assigned to them the rule in sacred things, and who have received into their hands the dignity of headship among the Apostles. (Nicephorus, Niceph. Cpl. pro. s. imag. c 25 [Mai N. Bibl. pp. ii. 30]).

St. Maximus the Confessor (c. 650)
A celebrated theologian and a native of Constantinople
The extremities of the earth, and everyone in every part of it who purely and rightly confess the Lord, look directly towards the Most Holy Roman Church and her confession and faith, as to a sun of unfailing light awaiting from her the brilliant radiance of the sacred dogmas of our Fathers, according to that which the inspired and holy Councils have stainlessly and piously decreed. For, from the descent of the Incarnate Word amongst us, all the churches in every part of the world have held the greatest Church alone to be their base and foundation, seeing that, according to the promise of Christ Our Savior, the gates of hell will never prevail against her, that she has the keys of the orthodox confession and right faith in Him, that she opens the true and exclusive religion to such men as approach with piety, and she shuts up and locks every heretical mouth which speaks against the Most High. (Maximus, Opuscula theologica et polemica, Migne, Patr. Graec. vol. 90)

How much more in the case of the clergy and Church of the Romans, which from old until now presides over all the churches which are under the sun? Having surely received this canonically, as well as from councils and the apostles, as from the princes of the latter (Peter and Paul), and being numbered in their company, she is subject to no writings or issues in synodical documents, on account of the eminence of her pontificate .....even as in all these things all are equally subject to her (the Church of Rome) according to sacerodotal law. And so when, without fear, but with all holy and becoming confidence, those ministers (the popes) are of the truly firm and immovable rock, that is of the most great and Apostolic Church of Rome. (Maximus, in J.B. Mansi, ed. Amplissima Collectio Conciliorum, vol. 10)

If the Roman See recognizes Pyrrhus to be not only a reprobate but a heretic, it is certainly plain that everyone who anathematizes those who have rejected Pyrrhus also anathematizes the See of Rome, that is, he anathematizes the Catholic Church. I need hardly add that he excommunicates himself also, if indeed he is in communion with the Roman See and the Catholic Church of God ...Let him hasten before all things to satisfy the Roman See, for if it is satisfied, all will agree in calling him pious and orthodox. For he only speaks in vain who thinks he ought to pursuade or entrap persons like myself, and does not satisfy and implore the blessed Pope of the most holy Catholic Church of the Romans, that is, the Apostolic See, which is from the incarnate of the Son of God Himself, and also all the holy synods, accodring to the holy canons and definitions has received universal and surpreme dominion, authority, and power of binding and loosing over all the holy churches of God throughout the whole world. (Maximus, Letter to Peter, in Mansi x, 692).

Jerusalem
St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Patriarch (363)
Our Lord Jesus Christ then became a man, but by the many He was not known. But wishing to teach that which was not known, having assembled the disciples, He asked, 'Whom do men say that the Son of man is?' ...And all being silent (for it was beyond man to learn) Peter, the Foremost of the Apostles, the Chief Herald of the Church, not using the language of his own finding, nor persuaded by human reasoning, but having his mind enlightened by the Father, says to Him, 'Thou art the Christ,' not simply that, but 'the Son of the living God.' (Cyril, Catech. xi. n. 3)

For Peter was there, who carrieth the keys of heaven. (Cyril, Catechetical Lectures A.D. 350).

Peter, the chief and foremost leader of the Apostles, before a little maid thrice denied the Lord, but moved to penitence, he wept bitterly. (Cyril, Catech ii. n. 15)

In the power of the same Holy Spirit, Peter, also the foremost of the Apostles and the key-bearer of the Kingdom of Heaven, healed Aeneas the paralytic in the name of Christ. (Cyril, Catech. xviii. n. 27)

St. Sophronius, Patriarch of Jerusalem (c. 638)
Teaching us all orthodoxy and destroying all heresy and driving it away from the God-protected halls of our holy Catholic Church. And together with these inspired syllables and characters, I accept all his (the pope's) letters and teachings as proceeding from the mouth of Peter the Coryphaeus, and I kiss them and salute them and embrace them with all my soul ... I recognize the latter as definitions of Peter and the former as those of Mark, and besides, all the heaven-taught teachings of all the chosen mystagogues of our Catholic Church. (Sophronius, Mansi, xi. 461)

Transverse quickly all the world from one end to the other until you come to the Apostolic See (Rome), where are the foundations of the orthodox doctrine. Make clearly known to the most holy personages of that throne the questions agitated among us. Cease not to pray and to beg them until their apostolic and Divine wisdom shall have pronounced the victorious judgement and destroyed from the foundation ...the new heresy. (Sophronius, [quoted by Bishop Stephen of Dora to Pope Martin I at the Lateran Council], Mansi, 893)

Alexandria
Eulogius of Alexandria (581)
Born in Syria, he became the abbot of the Mother of God monastery at Antioch. In 579, he was made Patriarch of Alexandria; and became an associate of St. Gregory the Great while visiting Constantinople. Much of their subsequent correspondence is still extant.

Neither to John, nor to any other of the disciples, did our Savior say, 'I will give to thee the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven,' but only to Peter. (Eulogius, Lib. ii. Cont. Novatian. ap. Photium, Biblioth, cod. 280)

St. Cyril of Alexandria (c. 424)
He suffers him no longer to be called Simon, exercising authority and rule over him already having become His own. By a title suitable to the thing, He changed his name into Peter, from the word 'petra' (rock); for on him He was afterwards to found His Church. (Cyril, T. iv. Comm. in Joan., p. 131)

He (Christ) promises to found the Church, assigning immovableness to it, as He is the Lord of strength, and over this He sets Peter as shepherd. (Cyril, Comm. on Matt., ad loc.)

Antioch
Theodoret, Bishop of Cyrus in Syria (450)
A native of Antioch, Theodoret ruled under the Antiochean Patriarch.

I therefore beseech your holiness to persuade the most holy and blessed bishop (Pope Leo) to use his Apostolic power, and to order me to hasten to your Council. For that most holy throne (Rome) has the sovereignty over the churches throughout the universe on many grounds. (Theodoret, Tom. iv. Epist. cxvi. Renato, p. 1197).

If Paul, the herald of the truth, the trumpet of the Holy Spirit, hastened to the great Peter, to convey from him the solution to those in Antioch, who were at issue about living under the law, how much more do we, poor and humble, run to the Apostolic Throne (Rome) to receive from you (Pope Leo) healing for wounds of the the Churches. For it pertains to you to have primacy in all things; for your throne is adorned with many prerogatives. (Theodoret Ibid, Epistle Leoni)

Cyprus
St. Epiphanius, Archbishop of Salamis (385)
Holy men are therefore called the temple of God, because the Holy Spirit dwells in them; as that Chief of the Apostles testifies, he that was found to be blessed by the Lord, because the Father had revealed unto him. To him then did the Father reveal His true Son; and the same (Peter) furthermore reveals the Holy Spirit. This was befitting in the First of the Apostles, that firm Rock upon which the Church of God is built, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. The gates of hell are heretics and heresiarchs. For in every way was the faith confirmed in him who received the keys of heaven; who looses on earth and binds in heaven. For in him are found all subtle questions of faith. He was aided by the Father so as to be (or lay) the Foundation of the security (firmness) of the faith. He (Peter) heard from the same God, 'feed my lambs'; to him He entrusted the flock; he leads the way admirably in the power of his own Master. (Epiphanius, T. ii. in Anchor).

Sergius, Metropolitain of Cyprus (649)
Writing to Pope Theodore:
O Holy Head, Christ our God hath destined thy Apostolic See to be an immovable foundation and a pillar of the Faith. For thou art, as the Divine Word truly saith, Peter, and on thee as a foundation-stone have the pillars of the Church been fixed. (Sergius Ep. ad Theod. lecta in Sess. ii. Concil. Lat. anno 649)
Out come the quote mines. The very least you could do is provide a link to where you copied them from. From memory I believe several of these quotes are from the false decretals, which is a late forgery. Your quote from St John Chrysostom is also lacking historical context. St John received holy orders from 2 bishops who were not in communion with Rome at the time, yet St John wrote nothing suggesting he believed communion with Rome was necessary, so St John is no support for the papacy.

Upvote 0

Selene03

Feb 9, 2019
Hagatna
✟15,025.00
Country
Guam
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Out come the quote mines. The very least you could do is provide a link to where you copied them from. From memory I believe several of these quotes are from the false decretals, which is a late forgery. Your quote from St John Chrysostom is also lacking historical context. St John received holy orders from 2 bishops who were not in communion with Rome at the time, yet St John wrote nothing suggesting he believed communion with Rome was necessary, so St John is no support for the papacy.
The sources are all there in parenthesis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Selene03

Feb 9, 2019
Hagatna
✟15,025.00
Country
Guam
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You copied and pasted from another website. That is your source. You haven't spent months reading through the father's.
I obtained it from a Catholic website because none of the Eastern Orthodox websites have it. I googled "Eastern Church Fathers, Rome's primacy" and it only gave me Catholic websites. By the way, those websites listed down more, but I only listed a few because the list was too long. Also, the sources of the quotes were provided so anyone can look it up for verification. These are the websites I got it from:

Did the early Eastern Church recognize the primacy of the Pope?

Eastern Fathers and the Primacy of Peter

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟609,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that there is a subtle (yet significant) difference between the 'Primacy of Rome' and the 'Universal Sovereignty of the Pope'. Primacy only becomes a real problem for the East when the distinction is ignored. Any one who has a problem with primacy should be directed to the 1st Oecumenical Council of Constrantinople. Those who conflate the two do the East, and many with them, and perhaps themselves a great disservice - failing to reflect deeply on the matters that brought about the Great Schism and perhaps consequentially also the Continental Reformation.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,557.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I obtained it from a Catholic website because none of the Eastern Orthodox websites have it. I googled "Eastern Church Fathers, Rome's primacy" and it only gave me Catholic websites. By the way, those websites listed down more, but I only listed a few because the list was too long. Also, the sources of the quotes were provided so anyone can look it up for verification. These are the websites I got it from:

Did the early Eastern Church recognize the primacy of the Pope?

Eastern Fathers and the Primacy of Peter
So you confirm that you personally have not read any of the original documents that these quotes purportedly come from, nor have you checked to see if they are accurate. If you haven't made the effort to check them, why would you expect anyone else to spend hours reading through the Church Fathers to confirm which ones are accurate (as I have already noted, a great many are forgeries) and put the remaining quotes in their historical context.

Quote mines are devoid of context and have no value in a discussion such as this. Catholic apologists are always careful to select only quotes which appear to support the claims of the papacy, while ignoring all the other statements by the same people which demonstrate they had no such understanding of the papacy.

St John Chrysostom is a favorite despite the fact that he did not find himself in communion with Rome until he was made bishop of Constantinople. Catholic apologists gleefully quote his correspondence with the bishop of Rome on the occasion of his exile, yet ignore the fact that he wrote in identical terms to two other Western bishops. They likewise ignore St John when he writes that the Apostle John held the keys, or that James and John were also "coryphaei".

St Cyprian of Carthage is another who is quote mined, but when his works are read in their entirety they demonstrate that he had no understanding of the papacy as Catholics would like us to believe.

St Jerome is often quoted, yet when you read him chronologically you see that he radically changed his views regarding Rome out of his frustration at the schisms and infighting he found during his travels in the East. His early statements are completely in line with the Orthodox Church.

All you have succeeded in doing is post a wall of text. It proves nothing and wastes everyone's time.

• Informative
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

Selene03

Feb 9, 2019
Hagatna
✟15,025.00
Country
Guam
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So you confirm that you personally have not read any of the original documents that these quotes purportedly come from, nor have you checked to see if they are accurate. If you haven't made the effort to check them, why would you expect anyone else to spend hours reading through the Church Fathers to confirm which ones are accurate (as I have already noted, a great many are forgeries) and put the remaining quotes in their historical context.

Quote mines are devoid of context and have no value in a discussion such as this. Catholic apologists are always careful to select only quotes which appear to support the claims of the papacy, while ignoring all the other statements by the same people which demonstrate they had no such understanding of the papacy.

St John Chrysostom is a favorite despite the fact that he did not find himself in communion with Rome until he was made bishop of Constantinople. Catholic apologists gleefully quote his correspondence with the bishop of Rome on the occasion of his exile, yet ignore the fact that he wrote in identical terms to two other Western bishops. They likewise ignore St John when he writes that the Apostle John held the keys, or that James and John were also "coryphaei".

St Cyprian of Carthage is another who is quote mined, but when his works are read in their entirety they demonstrate that he had no understanding of the papacy as Catholics would like us to believe.

St Jerome is often quoted, yet when you read him chronologically you see that he radically changed his views regarding Rome out of his frustration at the schisms and infighting he found during his travels in the East. His early statements are completely in line with the Orthodox Church.

All you have succeeded in doing is post a wall of text. It proves nothing and wastes everyone's time.

On the contrary, those quotes cited legitimate sources. Due to the fact that those sources were listed after the quotes means that anyone can find the document on the Internet. For example, the following quote came from the Council of Ephesus (the bold is mine):

The Council of Ephesus (431):
....a council presided over by St. Cyril of Alexandria, in which the Roman presbyter Philip declared:

"There is no doubt, and in fact it has been known in all ages, that the holy and most blessed Peter, prince and head of the Apostles, pillar of the faith and foundation of the Catholic Church, received the Keys of the Kingdom from our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior and Redeemer of the human race, and to him was given the power of loosing and binding sins; who down even to this day and forever both lives and judges in his successors. The holy and most blessed Pope Celestine, according to due order, is his successor and holds his place." (Acts of the Council of Ephesus, session 3).

Notice what I placed in bold above? Below is the weblink where you can find the actual document of the Council of Ephesus:

http://www.documentacatholicaomnia....m_Ephesenum,_Documenta_Omnia_[Schaff],_EN.pdf

The document is 70 pages long. However, you can find the quote in Session 3 (notice what I placed in bold above). All the sources were listed down; therefore, anyone can find the document and read it for themselves and verify it for themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,557.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
On the contrary, those quotes cited legitimate sources. Due to the fact that those sources were listed after the quotes means that anyone can find the document on the Internet. For example, the following quote came from the Council of Ephesus (the bold is mine):

....a council presided over by St. Cyril of Alexandria, in which the Roman presbyter Philip declared:

"There is no doubt, and in fact it has been known in all ages, that the holy and most blessed Peter, prince and head of the Apostles, pillar of the faith and foundation of the Catholic Church, received the Keys of the Kingdom from our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior and Redeemer of the human race, and to him was given the power of loosing and binding sins; who down even to this day and forever both lives and judges in his successors. The holy and most blessed Pope Celestine, according to due order, is his successor and holds his place." (Acts of the Council of Ephesus, session 3).

Notice what I placed in bold above? Below is the weblink where you can find the actual document of the Council of Ephesus:

http://www.documentacatholicaomnia....m_Ephesenum,_Documenta_Omnia_[Schaff],_EN.pdf

The document is 70 pages long. However, you can find the quote in Session 3 (notice what I placed in bold above). All the sources were listed down; therefore, anyone can find the document and read it for themselves and verify it for themselves.
Let me know when you have finished checking them all.

Upvote 0

Selene03

Feb 9, 2019
Hagatna
✟15,025.00
Country
Guam
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Let me know when you have finished checking them all.
I don't need to. That's the reason why I didn't leave a website in the first place. The sources are already listed after the quotes. Those who have doubts can always look it up. I'm not the one with the doubts.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,557.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I hope you understand through your reading of the Acts of the Council, that they contradict the papal claims. The council in Rome had judged Nestorius a heretic and anathemized him, then the Pope wrote of the decision. Did the council in Ephesus act as though they believed the Pope could make a ruling and the rest of the Church would accept it and fall in line? Did it act like the Pope was the final judge in the matter?
Not at all. Instead they judged Nestorius for themselves, allowing him to continue as a bishop until they had reached their own decision to anathemized him. They did not consider the Pope's decision as final or binding in any way, nor did they treat him as if he had any jurisdiction over them.

In this context, the statement read by Philip, the papal legate, merely comes across as honorific language, due to the esteem that the bishop of Rome enjoyed because of the tremendous example the early bishops of Rome had given through their martyrdoms.
The response of the council to this statement seems to be one of politely ignoring it, as no comment is made one way or the other. The very fact that this council was held in order to judge Nestorius after the Pope had already made his judgement clear completely refutes and papal claims made by the above quote. Actions, as they say, speak louder than words.

• Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,557.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't need to. That's the reason why I didn't leave a website in the first place. The sources are already listed after the quotes. Those who have doubts can always look it up. I'm not the one with the doubts.
That's because you haven't checked them in their historical context.

Upvote 0

Selene03

Feb 9, 2019
Hagatna
✟15,025.00
Country
Guam
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I hope you understand through your reading of the Acts of the Council, that they contradict the papal claims. The council in Rome had judged Nestorius a heretic and anathemized him, then the Pope wrote of the decision. Did the council in Ephesus act as though they believed the Pope could make a ruling and the rest of the Church would accept it and fall in line? Did it act like the Pope was the final judge in the matter?
Not at all. Instead they judged Nestorius for themselves, allowing him to continue as a bishop until they had reached their own decision to anathemized him. They did not consider the Pope's decision as final or binding in any way, nor did they treat him as if he had any jurisdiction over them.

In this context, the statement read by Philip, the papal legate, merely comes across as honorific language, due to the esteem that the bishop of Rome enjoyed because of the tremendous example the early bishops of Rome had given through their martyrdoms.
The response of the council to this statement seems to be one of politely ignoring it, as no comment is made one way or the other. The very fact that this council was held in order to judge Nestorius after the Pope had already made his judgement clear completely refutes and papal claims made by the above quote. Actions, as they say, speak louder than words.
I hope you understand that Nestorius' dispute with Cyril had led the latter to seek validation from Pope Celestine I, who authorized Cyril to request that Nestorius recant his position or face excommunication. It said so in the historical introduction found in the beginning of the document.

Last edited:
Upvote 0