Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On July 17th, our son, Benedict James Jona, decided to be born 6 weeks too early. Life has been quite a roller coaster since. :sigh:

About a week after his birth, while still in hospital, he started to show signs of getting sick. He was not interested in eating at all. Then he decided to throw up some bile and pass blood in his stool. He was quickly x-rayed and diagnosed with something called Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC). Yes, it's as serious as it sounds. Some premature infants die from this disease, though most are much younger and smaller than Benedict. Anyway, he was promptly treated with antibiotics and bowel rest (which means no food by mouth) for 10 days. He responded to treatment quickly and started getting better. We were thrilled.

Then.....just days after resuming his feeds, he started to get sick again. Lo and behold, more blood showed up in his diaper.:cry: He was quickly transferred to a children's hospital and is beginning (as of yesterday) to be treated for NEC once again. We can hardly believe he has come down with this again. Doctors are puzzled as well.

We love our son soooooo much. He is sooo beautiful! We desperately want him to get better so we can take him home. We are exhausted and stressed and sick of living at hospitals. Please pray for our boy, that God would heal him and allow him to come home soon. If you can, please ask your priest to pray for him during liturgies. If you have a prayer chain, tell them, too. We are desperate to see our boy get healthy.

Thanks! We will try to keep you posted on his progress. Here are a few pics of our beautiful boy:

Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm praying for your little one! I am also putting his name down for Paraklisis tomorrow in church.

Has he been baptized yet?
No, Greg. He hasn't been baptized yet. Hasn't been out of the hospital yet.

I understand that there are different traditions as to when to baptize a child... we have heard 8th day and 40th day. In Benedict's case, however, we strongly suspect that, due to his prematurity and compromised immune system, he will need to avoid all public places for some time to come, and that includes Church.

I think that, barring emergencies, we would rather he be baptized later, but in the Church, rather than earlier in hospital.

Vasya.

Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, Tracy and Basil!!! He is just beautiful!!! What a wonderful little man!!! Congratulations from both me and Moses, from the bottom of our hearts!!

I know how serious NEC is, but the fact that he was a 34 weeker is really on his side - his chances are excellent. I know that doesn't make it any less scary or heartbreaking to see your little fella so sick, though! You have our promise of prayers and I'm going to email Fr. Michael right now and ask for the child of God, Benedict, to be remembered in the Liturgy.

He looks like Sam did when he was tiny.

Oh, and can I call him Benny? ;) Just teasing. :hug:

We love you guys! I know everything is going to turn out wonderfully! Congrats again, mom and dad!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Lots of prayers going up!

I'll ask Father to pray for him as well. Both of his sons were very, very premature.

ADDED: Hogged my mom's computer for a bit so I could see the pictures - he's adorable! Looks rather content with his life even through the illness. I sooo hope he gets better real soon!!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.