somewhere
✟18,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I have been in contact with someone from a country where there is little access to food and clean water. It is not an organization, but a real person who fears the Lord and needs help. They are asking me to donate to them, which I wish to do. However, I am a minor and am not allowed to use my own money online / dont know how to, and I don't know what to do otherwise. Please pray that I can find a legal way to reach out to this man to give to him.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been in contact with someone from a country where there is little access to food and clean water. It is not an organization, but a real person who fears the Lord and needs help. They are asking me to donate to them, which I wish to do. However, I am a minor and am not allowed to use my own money online / dont know how to, and I don't know what to do otherwise. Please pray that I can find a legal way to reach out to this man to give to him.

You should not. But if they give you enough information (not likely)
you can contact local charities where they live, and your information
about them could bring them help. Assuming they reveal where they are
located you can bring lasting help to them and neighbors far greater
than the cash they are asking of you.

Contact Heifer Project international with your information them.

Heifer.org | Heifer International® | Ending Hunger And Poverty‎

Help Lift Families Out Of Poverty. Make A Charitable Donation Today! Help End Hunger & Poverty.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
how did you get into contact with this person? On a forum somewhere? I am in contact with a person, but it is a man, and I am a man. And as the Lord provides I will donate to him. He has a business he wants to start, so I am sort of thinking about kick starting his business. That way he can provide for himself. I connected with him on other social media, so I could see his family and learn about him. If he is not willing to disclose information about his family, and stuff. Or desires to meet you, I would be wary. I like to know who I am donating to. Just be careful as the other poster said. There are alot of abductions that happen in foreign countries, as a worst case scenario and/or fraud or identity theft. Don't click on any links they may email you, and DO not give any information over the phone or internet on your location, adress, phone number or anything. Be careful of any site links they may send you. There is a place called "virustotal" and you can copy and paste links or software and they can sometimes tell if it's a virus or a phishing site. But pray about it for sure, and if the Lord gives you peace you will be guided.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Beware of scams. I know people who have lost a lot of money to similar tales of trouble. They may well be genuine, but it is hard to know. It would be better, as others have said, if you can go through a trustworthy charity or find someone who can check out the story for you.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

tell your parents about this immediately and know it is most likely a scam. It’s not harmless, many of the people who run these scams use the money to finance drug and sex trafficking and all sorts of horrible things, please DO NOT send any money to an individual under any circumstances.

Upvote 0

Mydreams

Dec 20, 2017
Delhi
✟242,348.00
Country
India
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lord bless Sunflower Garden and this prayer request. Lord Sunflower Garden, wants to help to the man , who is having little access to food and clean water. Lord we pray meet this man's need and help him come out of problem and have enough food and clean water. Lord bless this prayer request, in Jesus gracious name, Amen!

Upvote 0

Sunflower Garden

Jun 19, 2019
somewhere
✟18,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Thank you all for your replies,

I know this person's name and their country, and they revealed to me some of their personal background as well. I found them on social media and they are another believer.

I am aware of the reality of scams and deception but I do not believe he is lying. Besides, I think it is better to risk trusting someone who is most likely hurting than to disregard them completely and contribute to their hurt and struggle. I think such would be unbiblical and would go directly against Matthew 25:35-45. (For I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat).

I think God has brought this person to me for a reason and I do not want to give up on them, as doing so would harden the heart and dishonor Christ. I cannot go to my parents about this as they won't even let me donate to an official charity / organization when I ask, so they would never let me donate to an individual person. However, I know God is calling me and I will not deny Him.

I will take a look at that Heifer project. Any other advice would be wonderful. Thank you.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for your replies,

I know this person's name and their country, and they revealed to me some of their personal background as well. I found them on social media and they are another believer.

I am aware of the reality of scams and deception but I do not believe he is lying. Besides, I think it is better to risk trusting someone who is most likely hurting than to disregard them completely and contribute to their hurt and struggle. I think such would be unbiblical and would go directly against Matthew 25:35-45. (For I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat).

I think God has brought this person to me for a reason and I do not want to give up on them, as doing so would harden the heart and dishonor Christ. I cannot go to my parents about this as they won't even let me donate to an official charity / organization when I ask, so they would never let me donate to an individual person. However, I know God is calling me and I will not deny Him.

I will take a look at that Heifer project. Any other advice would be wonderful. Thank you.

You can always send cash, but realize that they have a high exchange rate in foreign countries. So you may want to look into if it is cheaper to exchange in here in america, or there. Probably here would be cheaper. I would not put a return address on the envelope, nor give him any personal identifying information. You can also ask what church he goes to, and give the money to the church in his name. That would probably be better, so they can keep him accountable, and put a note saying....if this person seems to be dishonest, or into bad things, that the church can keep the money and give it to whoever they believe needs it. Most likely they could ask around his family and see if he is geniune. Also realize that foreign countries open envilopes all the time, so there is a possibility it could be stolen at the distribution centers. So donating wireless to a church, through a go fund me or other would probably be safer. If you feel you or anyone you know are being scammed for money.... report it here

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

I just had a call on my phone saying my social security number had been stolen, but the social security administration just sent a letter a while back saying they would never call about such an issue, they usually send letters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really want to donate but I dont have a credit card or access to my own bank account. What else can I do?

I feel really responsible for this person. I'm 95% sure they're legit. I dont want to let them or God down.

well if you don't have access to your funds, I would say God has closed your door. At least for now. Pray for that door to open.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Again,
Strongly advise listening to and respecting your parents decision regarding this issue. If you don’t go to them with this you are in violation of scripture.

I have been to Cambodia and watched children who have been maimed and blinded beg and be given money that is taken by their owners who did that to them and used to further their crime and depravity. It’s heartbreaking, and unfortunately many of the same online scammers who are very good at what they do pray on children, minors and the elderly and use the money they receive to hurt people. That’s why it’s foolish and unloving to others to give money when you don’t know where it’s going. It’s also a crime for an adult to communicate with and illicit money from a minor without parent’s awareness. I appreciate you have a giving heart but This is a bad situation.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,516.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You say you know the person's name and so on. How can you reality check that, or really anything they say? Also, wouldn't any money that you give actually be your parents' money given to you? How might they feel about all this?

The world is absolutely overflowing with hurting and needy people - as well as criminal scammers. There are reputable organizations where people can help. I personally love Compassion International but there are other places to donate too, of course, like Open Doors, Release International and Voice of the Martyrs. You can check their charity ratings online.

i pray you will be guided in the right ways.

Upvote 0

Sunflower Garden

Jun 19, 2019
somewhere
✟18,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I'd really love to but the main problem is that I cannot donate to organizations because of my inability to use money online and my parents will not give permission to do so. Despite that I really would feel heartbroken if this person was telling the truth and I ignored him.

We've talked more since then and this is a bigger deal now, I'm making a new thread with more details here: Struggling to help the poor. What should I do?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,516.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It sounds like you can't give any money to this guy one way or another since you can't donate online?
If you can donate to him somehow, there are probably local places to donate to with the same resources. There are homeless shelters, centers for abused women, centers helping women who have gotten pregnant outside of marriage, and so on. You would have a much better chance of knowing that you are giving to a legitimate source.

• Agree
Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sunflower Garden

You have spotted so many red flags in the messages that have gone between him and you , that you should really face up to the fact that if you can donate anything it would be better to do that via someone more local to you. He's been asking for far too much info from you.

It's time to block his number and refuse and then delete any messages that he sends.

There's an old saying that is very apt here
Better safe than sorry

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0