Please Inform me about Eastern Orthodoxy.

Dropout_Theologian

Not an ant in God's glorious library.
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
Southern United States
✟64,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I stated some days back that I would post here soon, so, with deep apologies, here I finally am. As a theological background I'm most closely labeled as a Reformed Baptist.

I am aware that some of you would refer to me as heterodox; so please brothers, feel free to inform me why you believe this is a bad thing. Iron sharpens iron; Lord help me I will not retaliate, but I reserve the right not to say anything. Even to unoffensive things I think I probably won't make many answers.

Otherwise, please inform me of your theology, practices, and church culture; and if you don't answer any of those questions, it would lift my soul to know your favorite food, if possible.

I don't always respond quickly, or even at all, so please, if you would, keep talking. I cannot express how deeply grateful I will (edit: be) for your answers.

Wisdom is finer than gold; it would be a incredible honor to be in her presence.

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ma2000

Veteran
Feb 8, 2007
Romania
✟14,125.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My favorite food is sour cherry (prunus cerasus) pie :p

prajitura-cu-visine.jpg

I count on the others to give you more information about Orthodoxy :)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! :)

Hmm...favorite food? Depends on the day and time :)

Right now, I could really go for some shoo fly pie....

C8C23BA8-3BF7-4FC8-A368-6687E4DEF778.jpeg

I’ll be happy to share some about Orthodoxy and if desired, why I became Orthodox (I grew up Pentecostal), but I just woke up and am sometimes a bit incoherent at this time of morning :) that said, I’ll start my day thinking about some delicious shoo fly pie while I drink my coffee. :)

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I stated some days back that I would post here soon, so, with deep apologies, here I finally am. As a theological background I'm most closely labeled as a Reformed Baptist.

I am aware that some of you would refer to me as heterodox; so please brothers, feel free to inform me why you believe this is a bad thing. Iron sharpens iron; Lord help me I will not retaliate, but I reserve the right not to say anything. Even to unoffensive things I think I probably won't make many answers.

Otherwise, please inform me of your theology, practices, and church culture; and if you don't answer any of those questions, it would lift my soul to know your favorite food, if possible.

I don't always respond quickly, or even at all, so please, if you would, keep talking. I cannot express how deeply grateful I will (edit: be) for your answers.

Wisdom is finer than gold; it would be a incredible honor to be in her presence.
My grandfather was the moderator of the East Union Association of The Baptist for a number of years. I grew up in an Independent Baptist church, during my college years I landed in the SBC.
In 2015, I was Chrismated into the Orthodox Church.
A "favorite" food is difficult for me because I can enjoy a wide variety of things.
However, sometimes I treat myself with a pair of soft-boiled eggs with shaved Asiago/Parmesan and freshly cracked black pepper.

softboiledeggs.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

where do you stand on certain theological points? it might make it easier to go point by point that way.

and my favorite food is NY style sausage pizza.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF!

This could go into hundreds of posts and not come close to fully exploring. By the way, if you like, we can have this moved to St. Justin Martyr's which is a debate forum, so that you can reply as you like, if that will help you get at the real understanding or reasons for our beliefs. It can be moved later too, if you get to that point.

I was raised mostly Baptist as well ... I moved my way into a very reformed tradition but had certain problems I couldn't answer. Perhaps seeing how we likely agree, and how we likely differ (which has been affected by Rome - Catholicism - having separated herself from the Church - and then the Reformers doing their best to correct Rome's errors, sometimes rightly, sometimes not enough, and sometimes in error from our point of view. I have spent several years and continue to spend time understanding from this point of view.)

Oh. Something important. Yes, "heterodox" means "not Orthodox" ... which includes Catholics and all Protestants and versions diverging from traditional Protestants ... just because it's an easy way to say "not Orthodox". It does NOT mean that we consider anyone a complete heretic, or that we consider all their teachings heresy. Heresies were actually defined by the early councils. Some heterodox indeed embrace certain heresies, but (other than a creeping Gnosticism) I think most are not very common. And you can't technically BE a heretic unless you first knew the truth, rejected it for heresy, and are now teaching that heresy. We would say there are various errors in those who are not Orthodox - in Rome's case mostly because of things she has added to the faith, and in the case of Protestants because of things (mostly) they have discarded from the early Church that are true, but some do have a few additions of their own.

My favorite food likewise changes. We are all in the fast right now too, so I expect that might affect a lot of folk's answers. Right now I could go for fresh roasted turkey with stuffing and cranberry and mashed potatoes and gravy and soft buttery rolls ... with fruit pie to follow. Thanksgiving dinner, lol. But if you want just a single favorite, I'd love some of that turkey sliced up on soft white bread for a sandwich. ;)

Upvote 0

Dropout_Theologian

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
Southern United States
✟64,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I overlooked lent; that question was intended to be an icebreaker. Thank you for the graciousness. :)

I am currently running short on time but I will attempt to reply in depth tonight. I will look at the links provided; otherwise I am open to your thoughts.

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I overlooked lent; that question was intended to be an icebreaker. Thank you for the graciousness. :)

I am currently running short on time but I will attempt to reply in depth tonight. I will look at the links provided; otherwise I am open to your thoughts.
We have to endure the sights and smells every day in real life, so no big deal at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think there is a distinction between heterodoxy and the individual non Orthodox Christian in the eyes of the Lord. This is something I feel I must see my own sin in light of another Christian and carefully note non Orthodox doctrine.

As far as what I would think is common to us is the theology of the Apostles Creed, the Nicene Creed (filioque aside), salvation by grace lived out in works ( Ephesians 2:8-10, Ephesians 4:28 etc. ), the 2 great commands ( Matthew 22:36-40 etc ), the golden rule ( Matthew 7:1-12 etc), the basic commands ( Matthew 19:16-22, Romans 13:8-10 , the 10 commandments etc.

It is in our tradition of the sacraments of confession and The Eucharist etc.. It is in our tradition of our church hierarchy among other things in which we differ.

Upvote 0

Dropout_Theologian

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
Southern United States
✟64,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I apologize to take so long in getting back to you all, I have had a rough few weeks recently. I have read a little bit from a couple of sources. If I can ask, are the constituents of the synod of the Fathers, when deciding matters of controversy, appointed as they would be normally? Thank you for your patience.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I apologize to take so long in getting back to you all, I have had a rough few weeks recently. I have read a little bit from a couple of sources. If I can ask, are the constituents of the synod of the Fathers, when deciding matters of controversy, appointed as they would be normally? Thank you for your patience.

all canonical bishops receive an invite and a vote. if they cannot attend they send a delegation. the synodal statement are then sent to the Church as a whole for ratification.

Upvote 0

Dropout_Theologian

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
Southern United States
✟64,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi to everyone who gets notifications from this thread, I just wanted to update as not to be any offense to any of you. Fairly recently I had a bad experience that in some ways is related to Orthodoxy. It's difficult to explain, but I do wish you all the best and if the Lord wills I will post here again.

• Prayers
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m married to a Pinay, but Pinoy food isn’t my thing mostly. The Thais, however, are incapable of bad dishes!

Ummm... wouldn't it be more diplomatic, for you, if you chose Pancit Bihon? ;)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi to everyone who gets notifications from this thread, I just wanted to update as not to be any offense to any of you. Fairly recently I had a bad experience that in some ways is related to Orthodoxy. It's difficult to explain, but I do wish you all the best and if the Lord wills I will post here again.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I for one want to apologize. I was intrigued by your OP, but it was during Great Lent and I was filling in for all services at Church and it was just crazy busy for me.

If you'd care to share the situation, we might be able to offer a perspective. Unfortunately nothing is perfect, since the time of the Apostles the Church has been made of mankind, and we are all imperfect. A few particular idiosyncrasies we might know something about.

And if you don't want to share that's ok. Either way - prayers for you!

Upvote 0