• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Please, I'd really like to know the answer to this

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by PublicNewSense, Oct 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PublicNewSense

PublicNewSense Guest

+0
    I attended a Catholic church for some time after becoming a Christian and I came across a Scripture that said something like, "Let every Deacon take one wife...Let every Priest take one wife...". I believe it was in Titans. My question is, why then, considering this is the inspired word of God, won't the church let Priests marry? I've been looking for some insight on this for years to no avail. Thank you for your time. :)

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

+1,676
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Ah, methinks you mean Titus, not "Titans". Unless you're talking about Greek mythology. :)

The text in question is Titus 1:6, in which Paul directs Titus to appoint presbyters (priests) in every town who are "blameless and married only once". 1 Timothy 3:2 says the same thing about bishops, and 1 Timothy 3:12 says likewise concerning deacons.

In the early years of the Christian Faith, clergy did marry. As time went on, however, celibacy became more and more the norm, based in no small part on Paul's advice in 1 Corinthians 7:32-35, in which he imparts that if a man is unmarried, he is free of marital distractions and is able to work full-time for the Lord. Celibacy was imposed Church-wide in the Catholic Church by the 2nd Lateran Council in 1139. Since the Church imposed this law, she could just as easily abolish it----but that's extremely unlikey to happen.

That having been said, keep in mind that in the Catholic Faith, the bottom line for rules pertaining to faith and doctrine is the Magesterium of the Church, not the Bible. :)

Blessings,
    ---Wols.

3. PrinceJeff

PrinceJeff Well-Known Member

+0
    I always thought it was about Paul's advice somehow. :)

4. LouisBooth

LouisBooth Well-Known Member

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "In the early years of the Christian Faith, clergy did marry. As time went on, however, celibacy became more and more the norm, based in no small part on Paul's advice in 1 Corinthians 7:32-35"

Actually it seemed this was the trend due to the denial of ALL bodily plearsure and lead toward ascdism. They cut themselves and everything.....I just always thought it was wierd. Partly influenced by plato and early gnostics that this world is bad (to put it simply).

5. Wolseley

+1,676
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Well, don't forget that the Gnostics were officially condemned by the Church, and that Plato as a pagan was looked at suspiciously; as for the Flagellents and other extreme groups, they too were castigated by the Vatican. They were the lunatic fringe; you shouldn't view them as normal practice, mainstream Catholicism, or as having the official blessing of the Church. Certainly there were Catholics in the 14th century who beat themselves with whips, but there were also Protestants in the 20th century who played with rattlesnakes and drank strychnine. Both groups were definitely not the norm. :)

Blessings,
    ---Wols.

6. PublicNewSense

PublicNewSense Guest

+0
    Titans?!? LOL Sorry! I didn't catch that. Obviously! :D

7. moralee

moralee Guest

+0
    My dad was brought up Catholic and says this is something the Catholic church did all on their own, that the Bible doesn't say anywhere a priest cannot marry, but there is the teachigs of Paul and I think the thinking and logic was commendable, but not very nice or realisitic...

Seek Ye the Truth!

8. Wolseley

+1,676
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Your Dad is correct; but I must reiterate that the bottom line for faith and practice in the Catholic Church is the Sacred Magesterium, not the Bible.

As for celibacy not being realistic, that's a late 20th-century idea. People have lived as celibates for centuries, but we tend to be a tad brainwashed by the media in this day and age that you simply "have" to be involved with a significant other. That's not necessarily true; but as with all things, if it ain't your thing, then you shouldn't attempt it. :)

Blessings,
    ---Wols.

9. Kotton

Kotton Senior Member

+105
    Catholic
    Wols said:
    And herein lies the problem with our modern society, they cannot grasp the reasons why ANYONE would follow such a life. I believe the media have done more than a 'tad' bit of brainwashing. ;)

Kotton :D

10. Reborn2000

Reborn2000 Guest

+0
    Just curious, I thought I remembered reading something about their being some married priests that are active today. Could someone tell me if I this is true, or is my memory failing me again. ;) :p

Hugs,
    Kelly

11. Wolseley

+1,676
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    There are active priests today who were at one time married Protestant ministers, who have converted to Catholicism. This isn't a common occurance, but it does happen. When they come into the Church and are ordained, they bring (of course) their wives with them. So, under certain circumstances (and these cases all have to be approved by the Holy See), married men may become priests, but priests cannot become married.

In other rites of the Catholic Church (Armenian Catholic, Melkite Catholic, etc., as opposed to the Roman rite) priests are allowed to marry. The Roman rite is strictly celibate.

In cases of converted married Protestant ministers, Eastern-rite Catholic priests, and deacons, they're all in the same boat if their wife dies, however----they cannot re-marry. :)

Confused, or does this help?
    ----Wols.

12. Reborn2000

Reborn2000 Guest

+0
    How did I know you would have the answer Wols? ;) :p Yes that helped. Thank you! I thought I remembered reading there were a few married priests today, but wasn't sure how that was possible. Again, you have taught me something! :) I really appreciate all the time and effort you give, in answering our questions. That is so generous of you, as I am sure after a while you end up encountering the same things quite a bit. Anyway, among all this rambling, I am trying to say thank you and I really appreciate you....heehee!! :)

Hugs,
    Kelly

13. Wolseley

+1,676
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    :) I have no problem answering questions for anyone, if they're sincerely looking for information or knowledge.

Trolls and baiters, however, are something else. :) Fortunately, we don't get many of those here, like we did over on the Board That Shall Not Be Mentioned.

Thanks for the kind words, though, Kelly. I appreciate it! :)

God bless,
    ---Wols.

14. PrinceJeff

PrinceJeff Well-Known Member

+0
    I appreciate the way you lovingly share your beliefs with people even if they do not agree. That is the case with me. I appreciate that you answer my questions sincerely and do not resort to name calling and accusations like what has happened to me here before. God bless you! :)

Jeff

15. Wolseley

+1,676
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    You're welcome! Feel free to ask me anything at any time. :)

Blessings,
    ---Wols.

16. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "Both groups were definitely not the norm. "

really? I was always led to believe that the asedicim movement of that age was the norm...hmmmm...

17. Wolseley

+1,676
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others

No, not really. There are extreme ascetics in every age, such as the Flagellants in the 14th century and the Gnostics in the 2nd, but while they might be sensationalistic (and thus played up by the media and the history professors) that still doesn't make them the norm. For every goof running around beating himself with a whip, you had tens of thousands who weren't. Look at your own church. I have no idea what your membership is, but how many of them handle rattlesnakes on a regular basis? Not too many? Well, there you go. :)

Blessings,
    ---Wols.

18. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "For every goof running around beating himself with a whip, you had tens of thousands who weren't. Look at your own church"

But EVERY moment of that time was based on this idea of self mutiation to take one away from thoughts of this world, a lot different then prod movements.

" I have no idea what your membership is, but how many of them handle rattlesnakes on a regular basis? "

very small minority, I see your point, but its not relivant. we are comparing a mountain (asdeisum in that day and age) to a molehill ("snake handlers and poisen drinkers") One was the direct root of all movements in catholism at that time, the other a small movement spawned out of the congrationalists (I think....) of the 1500s

19. Wolseley

+1,676
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others

No, they weren't. There were numerous religious movements and orders which began at that period which were not ascetic. The Alexians and the Camillians were founded on service to the sick; the Capuchins, on service to the poor; the Dominicans and the Jesuits on religious education; the Mercedarians were founded to help free prisoners of war. These are just a few of the orders founded during the Middle Ages. None of these were ascetic movements, and all of them attracted a lot more adherents than the Flagellants.

Blessings,
    ---Wols.

20. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    ahh..don't have my notes with me....I was talking about a time more speicfic then the middle ages (5 centuries) I was dealing with about 1000 years (long time to me short time to God ;) ) where it was the norm for the church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.