Dallas
✟885,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When you talk to a Jehovah's Witness first of all, use a King James Bible, they will accept it. The only reason they translate, actually paraphrase the passage in John 1 is that it lacks a definite article, with that context it doesn't need that and they don't know that most of the time. I struggled with the incarnation for years, but what finally settled the matter for me was Jesus testimony before the High Priest. Before getting into something like that I would lead them to Hebrews 1, the early verses and simply ask them, how could all those things be true of anyone other then God?

It's been my experience if they think you know the Bible the conversation will end quickly so I wouldn't recommend dumping a truck load of references, most of them never study this stuff. A more important issue with JWs is the resurrection of everyone, soul sleep is perhaps their most dangerous threat to the gospel message. It looks like the thread was well underway before I got here and from what I've seen you got some pretty choice advice. But if you ever want to get more details of certain passages there is nothing I like better then a good exposition.

Just one more thing, whenever you witness to someone always bring up the gospel, that Jesus died for our sins. How they react to that one will tell you plenty about their theology.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Thank you so much brother Mark for your help in this and your words of encouragement. It’s very much appreciated have a blessed day. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can’t thank you enough friend your information has been really useful. :)
I’m glad to help! I’m not fluent in Greek, but I love linguistics - it’s one of my favorite things to learn :) Since linguistics helps with various languages, it has been very useful with Scripture as well.

If you see anything that you have questions about, feel free to post - and if I can help, I’d be happy to take a look at it.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

ProjectExodus

Jan 25, 2019
Grand Manan
Visit site
✟8,683.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
Daniel 9:24-27
24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

God had told Daniel the temple would be rebuilt in troublesome times. And after this command they would have 62 weeks before the messiah would be cut off. We see in Nehemia 2 that Nehemia was given permission from Artaxerxes I to rebuild the city and walls, in the 20th year of Artaxerxes' reign. Artaxerxes reigned from 465-424 BC. The 20th year of his reign was 445 BCE. 62 weeks of prophetic years, that is each day of the week being a year. 62 weeks * 7 years = 483 years. But they were using a 360 day calendar. This is 5 days less per year. So 483 * 5 = 2,415 extra days divided by 360 = 6 years adjustment. So 483 - 6 = 477 years from the time of the wall being restored. This was 445 BCE In the 20th year reign of Artaxerxes so 445 - our 477 year adjustment = 32AD. The prince messiah shall be cut off an have nothing.

(Don't worry about leap year. It's a 53 BC convention. On the Jewish 360 day calendar, a day was a day.)

We know these prophecies pre-date Christ because of the Greek Septuagint, The Dead Sea Scrolls, and The Samaritan Penetuch which is the Samaritan Torah. All of these are dated 300-100 BCE. The Greek Septuagint being the oldest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m kind of embarrassed to say this but I’m actually having trouble finding actual conclusive Greek text that without a doubt proves that Jesus is God. I am a Trinitarian but recently in a debate with Jehovah’s Witnesses when I began searching for conclusive evidence that Jesus is God in the Greek text I can’t seem to find anything. I’ve done a little searching and haven’t found anything that cannot be refuted. Typically I would quote John 1 but after some research I’ve come to realize that the word “a” is not used in Greek. The problem is the Bible version Jehovah’s Witness use says in John 1 the Word was with God and the Word was a god.(lower case g) When I compared this to other verses in the English translation that have the word a then I look at the Greek text the word a is not there. For example John 1:6 starts with “there came a man sent from God” the Greek text says “came man sent from God”. So I can’t really use John 1 as a conclusive argument. The best I’ve come up with so far is there is only One God. So I’m wondering if anyone can help me find conclusive evidence that Jesus is God. Thanks & God bless.

Jesus said He existed before Abraham (John 8:58). He said "before Abraham was, I AM" and took the name of God to be Himself (from Exodus 3:14), thereby claiming to be God. He also said "I AM in the Father and the Father is in Me. If you have seen me, you have seen the Father. (John 14:9-11). and "I and the Father are One." (John 10:30). Also, He literally came in the Name of the Father "I AM who I AM". The name "Jesus" shows the humanity and divinity of Jesus: both His natures. "Jesus" is our english translation of the Hebrew "Joshua" or "Yahshua" And that name can be broken into 2 parts: "Yah" which is the Hebrew verb "I AM" and "shua" meaning "Salvation". "Yah" represents the Spirit of God. "Shua" represents the flesh and blood body of Christ Jesus. "Jesus" = "I AM Salvation". Now THIS is how you "Rightly divide the Word of Truth".

Upvote 0

Truth Lover

Aug 21, 2016
St Louis, MO
✟22,173.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They think Jesus was the Archangel Michael, so you can show the verse where Michael didn't say anything to Satan because he didn't have authority and then look for a passage Jesus is commanding through his own authority.

Hebrews 1:
5 For to which of the angels did God ever say: “You are my son; this day I have begotten you”? Or again: “I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me”? 6 And again, when he leadsc]">[c] the first-born into the world, he says:

“Let all the angels of God worship him.”
The angels would not worship Jesus if he were like them.

For me, Jesus' resurrection is all the proof I need that he is God.

• Agree
Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟166,453.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m kind of embarrassed to say this but I’m actually having trouble finding actual conclusive Greek text that without a doubt proves that Jesus is God. I am a Trinitarian but recently in a debate with Jehovah’s Witnesses when I began searching for conclusive evidence that Jesus is God in the Greek text I can’t seem to find anything. I’ve done a little searching and haven’t found anything that cannot be refuted. Typically I would quote John 1 but after some research I’ve come to realize that the word “a” is not used in Greek. The problem is the Bible version Jehovah’s Witness use says in John 1 the Word was with God and the Word was a god.(lower case g) When I compared this to other verses in the English translation that have the word a then I look at the Greek text the word a is not there. For example John 1:6 starts with “there came a man sent from God” the Greek text says “came man sent from God”. So I can’t really use John 1 as a conclusive argument. The best I’ve come up with so far is there is only One God. So I’m wondering if anyone can help me find conclusive evidence that Jesus is God. Thanks & God bless.
160 Reasons Jesus Christ is Almighty God

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is one God! The Son is called/referred to as God, in scripture, but the Son is not the Father or the Spirit. Thirty six (36) scripture which address or refer to Jesus as God, Matt 1:23, Isa 9:6, Luke 7:16, John 1:1, 3, 4, 10, 14, 18, 10:33, 5:18,8: 58, 12;24, 14:9, 17:5, 10, 20:28, Act 20:28, Rom 9:5, 2 Cor 4:4, Col 1:14-16, 2:9, Eph 3:9, Heb 1:1:2-3, 8-12, 3:3, Phi 2:6, 1 Tim 1:1, 3:16, 6:15, Tit 2;13, 2 Pet 1:1, 1 John 5:20, Rev 17:14, 19;16, 22:12-13
[1] Mat 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
[2] Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
[3]Luk 7:16 And there came a fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people.
[4] Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
[5] Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
[6] Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him[God created the world, Gen 1:1][/color], and the world knew him not.
[7] Joh 1:14 And the Word [acting on Himself] became flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
[8] Joh 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten God, μονογενὴς θεὸς ] which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

[9] John 10:30 I and my Father are one.
[10] Joh 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. [Jewish leaders speaking]
[11] Joh 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.[John speaking]
[12] Joh 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, before Abraham was, I am [ אהיה/ehyeh, I am, Ex 3:14].
[13] John 12:41 These things said Esaias, when he saw his [Jesus] glory, and spake of him[יהוה/YHWH, Isa 6:1ff].

Isa 6:1
In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple
[14] Joh 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
[15] Joh 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was[Jesus was aware of His existence before the world was created.].
[16] Joh 17:10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine[Everything that belongs to the Father belongs to Jesus]; and I am glorified in them.
[17] Joh 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, [Jesus] My Lord and my God. [Thomas addressed Jesus as God and Jesus praised him.]
[18] Act 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
[19] Rom 9:5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever[Jesus called God]. Amen.
[20] 2 Cor 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
[21] Col 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
[22] Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
[23] Eph 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
[24] Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
[25] Heb 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever[God calls the Son, God]: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.
[26] Heb 3:3 For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house.
4 For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.
[27] Phi 2:6 Who, being [existing] in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
[28] 1 Tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh[Jesus called God], is justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
[29] 1 Tim 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ[Jesus called God], which is our hope;
[30] 1 Tim 6:15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;[The lamb is king of kings, Rev 17:14, Jesus is king of kings, Rev 19:16, God is Lord of Lords Deu 10:17]
[31] Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ[Jesus called God];
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
[32] 2 Pet 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ[Jesus called God]:
[33] 1 John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life[Jesus called God].
[34] Rev 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings[יהוה/YHWH, Deu 10:17]: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

[35] Rev 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS[יהוה/YHWH, Deu 10:17].
[36] Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be[יהוה/YHWH, Isa 40:10].
13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.[יהוה/YHWH, Isa 44:6]

Reactions: Truth Lover
Upvote 0