Dallas
✟888,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m kind of embarrassed to say this but I’m actually having trouble finding actual conclusive Greek text that without a doubt proves that Jesus is God. I am a Trinitarian but recently in a debate with Jehovah’s Witnesses when I began searching for conclusive evidence that Jesus is God in the Greek text I can’t seem to find anything. I’ve done a little searching and haven’t found anything that cannot be refuted. Typically I would quote John 1 but after some research I’ve come to realize that the word “a” is not used in Greek. The problem is the Bible version Jehovah’s Witness use says in John 1 the Word was with God and the Word was a god.(lower case g) When I compared this to other verses in the English translation that have the word a then I look at the Greek text the word a is not there. For example John 1:6 starts with “there came a man sent from God” the Greek text says “came man sent from God”. So I can’t really use John 1 as a conclusive argument. The best I’ve come up with so far is there is only One God. So I’m wondering if anyone can help me find conclusive evidence that Jesus is God. Thanks & God bless.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The first thing to know is that the Jehovah Witnesses have their own version of the Greek text, and their own translation called "The New World Translation." Their text has modifications to the accepted manuscripts of the church, including replacing the "cross" with "impale" for the crucifixion of Jesus. The divinity of Christ is tampered with in their version, for an example, John 1:1 as you quoted they add the article "a" in their version to suggest Jesus is another deity (which is polytheism) that has been created.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please help me prove Jesus is God
To a cultist who doesn't WANT to believe so? Why...!?

Even if you DO successfully [just] change their minds, they will STILL be on their way to Hell. (That is known as a Pyrrhic victory.)

Wait until they are hungry (and unsatisfied with their cult). Go find someone who IS hungry, now.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There are so many places in the NT that clearly say that Jesus is God. Two that immediately come to mind are Mark 1 and John 7-8.

In Mark 1:2, Mark quotes Malachi 3:1 as saying:

"Behold, I send my messenger before your face,
who will prepare your way..."​

In Mark's quote, the "I" is Yahweh and the "you" is Jesus. Yahweh sends John the Baptist before the appearance of Jesus. But look at Malachi 3:1 in the OT. It says:

"Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me."
In Malachi, the "I" is Yahweh and he sends his messenger to prepare the way for himself.

Thus Mark clearly says that Jesus is Yahweh.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I’m kind of embarrassed to say this but I’m actually having trouble finding actual conclusive Greek text that without a doubt proves that Jesus is God. I am a Trinitarian but recently in a debate with Jehovah’s Witnesses when I began searching for conclusive evidence that Jesus is God in the Greek text I can’t seem to find anything. I’ve done a little searching and haven’t found anything that cannot be refuted. Typically I would quote John 1 but after some research I’ve come to realize that the word “a” is not used in Greek. The problem is the Bible version Jehovah’s Witness use says in John 1 the Word was with God and the Word was a god.(lower case g) When I compared this to other verses in the English translation that have the word a then I look at the Greek text the word a is not there. For example John 1:6 starts with “there came a man sent from God” the Greek text says “came man sent from God”. So I can’t really use John 1 as a conclusive argument. The best I’ve come up with so far is there is only One God. So I’m wondering if anyone can help me find conclusive evidence that Jesus is God. Thanks & God bless.

Maybe it's not important to prove to them that Jesus is God. I get the same thing from LDS. And the reality is that they will never accept the truth even if you show them. Sorry for your struggles but there may not be a solution for this.

But if you really want to establish Jesus as God to them you may want to define what a God is. Then relate Jesus' majesty as King and such. Perhaps that means he is a God?

• Agree
Reactions: His student
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My signature contains some of the best evidence that Jesus is God (the Son)

Psa 78:35 And they remembered that God was their rock, and the high God their redeemer.

1Co 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” 9 Jesus replied, “Philip, I have been with you all this time, and still you do not know Me? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me?" John 14:8-10

Reactions: worshipjunkie
Upvote 0

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
........... I’m wondering if anyone can help me find conclusive evidence that Jesus is God. Thanks & God bless.
They've been well indoctrinated in ways to (in their view) prove Jesus is "a" God.

While I believe all doctrine is important (and do not deny the importance of understanding the divinity of Jesus) - I believe you would be better served concentrating on preaching to them the pure and simple gospel of salvation by grace.

People can be saved while still not understanding the hypo-static union and whatever else there is to understand about Jesus. There were (I believe) multiplied thousands in the first couple of hundred years of the church who had not yet worked these doctrines out.

Concentrate on "getting them saved" by their trusting only on the work of Christ as their only hope of salvation. Assuming they will receive the Holy Spirit at the time of salvation as the scriptures teach - He will lead them into truth on the matter of the nature of God as well as any other errors they had once believed. :)

• Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The man who came from God in John 1 was John the Baptist, not Jesus, so that is of little help to you.

Please remember that the JWs, specifically Charles Russell, went on their own and translated the original Greek into whatever they wanted it to mean. In doing so, they are arguing against the earliest Christians whose native language was the original Greek.

So the next time the JWs want to argue Christian theology tell them to take it up with the native Greek speakers and tell them to stop trying to put words in their mouths.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The first thing to know is that the Jehovah Witnesses have their own version of the Greek text, and their own translation called "The New World Translation." Their text has modifications to the accepted manuscripts of the church, including replacing the "cross" with "impale" for the crucifixion of Jesus. The divinity of Christ is tampered with in their version, for an example, John 1:1 as you quoted they add the article "a" in their version to suggest Jesus is another deity (which is polytheism) that has been created.

Technically I think they believe that Jesus is the Archangel Michael. Which is weird, but not polytheism.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Technically I think they believe that Jesus is the Archangel Michael. Which is weird, but not polytheism.

It is both, and it is vise versa if I recall regarding Michael. They believe Jesus is the Son of God, it depends on how you define Son of God. It isn't quite Arianism, but it resembles like it.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
We believe in Incarnation and not theophany. By theophany I mean when God appears as a man, as at times in the OT.

Had Jesus simply said "I am God" people would have assumed he was speaking of a theophany, and not accepted his full humanity. Hence he and the various NT authors show us many implications of the Incarnation, Jesus acting as God, being God with us, but also show him as a man. The most explicit is probably John. The Word, who is God, became flesh and dwelt among us.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hebrews 1
6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m kind of embarrassed to say this but I’m actually having trouble finding actual conclusive Greek text that without a doubt proves that Jesus is God. I am a Trinitarian but recently in a debate with Jehovah’s Witnesses when I began searching for conclusive evidence that Jesus is God in the Greek text I can’t seem to find anything. I’ve done a little searching and haven’t found anything that cannot be refuted. Typically I would quote John 1 but after some research I’ve come to realize that the word “a” is not used in Greek. The problem is the Bible version Jehovah’s Witness use says in John 1 the Word was with God and the Word was a god.(lower case g) When I compared this to other verses in the English translation that have the word a then I look at the Greek text the word a is not there. For example John 1:6 starts with “there came a man sent from God” the Greek text says “came man sent from God”. So I can’t really use John 1 as a conclusive argument. The best I’ve come up with so far is there is only One God. So I’m wondering if anyone can help me find conclusive evidence that Jesus is God. Thanks & God bless.[/QUOTE

Exodus 3 14
God said to Moses, “I am who I am. And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”
John 8
56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” 59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth Lover
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe this could help you.More Stumpers for the Jehovah's Witnesses | Catholic Answers or A Biblical Response to Jehovah's Witnesses | CARM.org

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To a cultist who doesn't WANT to believe so? Why...!?

Even if you DO successfully [just] change their minds, they will STILL be on their way to Hell. (That is known as a Pyrrhic victory.)

Wait until they are hungry (and unsatisfied with their cult). Go find someone who IS hungry, now.

Perhaps they are brothers & sisters who seek to honor God but are misled. Should we not preach the gospel to those who are lost?

Upvote 0