• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Please help me figure out if this is my ocd that making me think this or not

curlycurl

Jul 31, 2019
assen
✟13,765.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi! I feel quite silly that I keep returning with similar concerns but I just cant shake my worries. I always stop watching or supporting musicians, artists, or any online person if they blaspheme because I am scared ill commit the same blasphemous sin by knowingly continuing to support that person or thing. In the same manner that it would be bad if you would stay friends with someone who disrespects someone you care about.

I was sitting on the couch, and my sister was watching zootopia, a animated Disney movie about a animal world, and as I glanced over, I saw a scene where one of the character did the sign of the cross and because of the context of the movie and the scene, and I think the context makes that blasphemy, and after googling it, I saw someone online say that there was also a mention of speaking in tongues in the movie, now I am scared that if I watch or see anything Disney its committing the unforgivable sin.
It’s not as if I can find out who wrote and worked on those scenes exactly so I feel like I have to avoid Disney all together. Nowadays even if I see a image of a Disney princes I feel like I need to look away.

This is especially hard because I am a animator and I don’t know how I am going to avoid Disney and everyone who ever worked for Disney, for example I was to buy this book about animation, a book that gives advice how to animate better, but I saw it was written by someone who worked at Disney at one point, and now I am paranoid that I’ll be blaspheming if I am buying that book. I don’t know of this sounds normal or not but I can’t figure out if this is something I should actually be concerned about.
Avoiding everything and everyone who blasphemed is getting really difficult because I am starting to lose track of who and what to avoid and what they did, It has come to the point that I am going to need to write it down.

AK1982

All things ... through HIM who strengthens!
Sep 26, 2019
Netherlands
✟29,012.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I always stop watching or supporting musicians, artists, or any online person if they blaspheme because I am scared ill commit the same blasphemous sin by knowingly continuing to support that person or thing ...

I am starting to lose track of who and what to avoid and what they did

You must be God to keep track of all this.

You stopped supporting musicians, artists ...? Are you sure the management of schools/universities you studied, the doctors you visit, the owners of grocery stores you visited, the house owners you rented and the providers of every other utility that you use in a day are all not blasphemous? Can you survive if you choose not to support them?

You are just overthinking in such degrees that it has started to hinder your living and functioning. Re-focus on the right things.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi! I feel quite silly that I keep returning with similar concerns but I just cant shake my worries. I always stop watching or supporting musicians, artists, or any online person if they blaspheme because I am scared ill commit the same blasphemous sin by knowingly continuing to support that person or thing. In the same manner that it would be bad if you would stay friends with someone who disrespects someone you care about.

I was sitting on the couch, and my sister was watching zootopia, a animated Disney movie about a animal world, and as I glanced over, I saw a scene where one of the character did the sign of the cross and because of the context of the movie and the scene, and I think the context makes that blasphemy, and after googling it, I saw someone online say that there was also a mention of speaking in tongues in the movie, now I am scared that if I watch or see anything Disney its committing the unforgivable sin.
It’s not as if I can find out who wrote and worked on those scenes exactly so I feel like I have to avoid Disney all together. Nowadays even if I see a image of a Disney princes I feel like I need to look away.

This is especially hard because I am a animator and I don’t know how I am going to avoid Disney and everyone who ever worked for Disney, for example I was to buy this book about animation, a book that gives advice how to animate better, but I saw it was written by someone who worked at Disney at one point, and now I am paranoid that I’ll be blaspheming if I am buying that book. I don’t know of this sounds normal or not but I can’t figure out if this is something I should actually be concerned about.
Avoiding everything and everyone who blasphemed is getting really difficult because I am starting to lose track of who and what to avoid and what they did, It has come to the point that I am going to need to write it down.
AK1982 makes a good point. This is definitely overthinking. But very common with OCD!

I understand your concern. But we can't control everything other people do. In addition, I don't believe supporting companies who have "blasphemed" is the same as blaspheming yourself.

But we know OCD doesn't disappear with logic. Which means you'll have to go through the hard work of treating this as OCD. :)

What are some ways that you can do this?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am scared ill commit the same blasphemous sin by knowingly continuing to support that person or thing. In the same manner that it would be bad if you would stay friends with someone who disrespects someone you care about.

Sin is what you say, think or do, not what someone else says or does.

Think it it through, what if the person who made your cloths sinned while making them, or if the engineer in charge of generating your electricity is a demon worshipper etc etc

God is only concerned with how you worship and serve Jesus.
Every sin you have committed, are committing or will commit has already been forgiven.

Jesus promised never to let go of you and never to leave you.
You cannot make him abandon you, though if you try you will think so.

May I suggest you follow this link, read it several times and discuss it with your doctor/therapist.
International OCD Foundation | 25 Tips for Succeeding in Your OCD Treatment

You have been given good advice from the other posters so talk to your doctor about the article.

Reactions: fashionista1
Upvote 0