Martinsburg West Virginia
✟18,502.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
For starters, I'd like to point out that I have Asperger's. I started the topic here, instead of the Asperger's forum, because I thought other new Christians might ask this same question. Also, I'd like to add that the "wellnotmostly" part of my name was only added because of the jokes section. In all other sections, I am being completely serious.

Ahem.

I'm an introverted person. A very, VERY introverted person. Being around other people, even other Christians, can be difficult and uncomfortable. I've heard other people on this forum mention "spending time with God." I pray every night, I thank God for my good fortune when I think to, but I'm not exactly sure I go about spending time with him. Spending time with anyone is kind of a gray area for me.

Do I talk to him? That doesn't exactly work, as I hardly ever have anything to say. Conversations with others tend to consist of the other person talking, and me just listening. God doesn't talk to me a whole lot. At one point I thought to just sit in silence, but that didn't seem like it was accomplishing anything. Is he with me when I am thinking about him, or doing charitable things? If so, then this thread was a complete waste of time, and I'm sorry you read it. If not, then what do I do?

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find it extremely hard to talk sometimes, in a situation.
It's just something you learn overtime I guess, I'm autistic as well (I believe aspergers is within autism aint it?).

Literately, just talk to God.
Ask for his forgiveness, renew your devotion everyday, ask that he guides you.
Prayer is one of the greatest gifts he has given us, it'd be a shame not to use it.

Also, you cannot annoy God for calling too often, he loves to hear from his kids.

• Agree
Reactions: LRose613
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My grandson, who just turned 12, was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was 3.
He asked me the same questions about talking to God as you have asked. He said it is hard to talk to God because He doesn't talk back. He had to learn that most of the time God speaks to us threw our hearts. He is always with us. If He wasn't spirit we could reach out and touch Him, that is how close He is spiritually.
Have you ever held a conversation with yourself, you know talked to yourself? If so, you can talk and carrying on conversations with God in much the same way. Just talk to Him as you would like to be able to talk to people. Share all your thoughts and dreams with Him. I guarantee you He won't mind.
Maybe talking to God would actually help you to not be so introverted with people.
I will pray for you, I know that certain things in life are difficult for you.
God Bless

Upvote 0

Maria.V.H

Feb 1, 2017
Denmark
✟34,519.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For starters, I'd like to point out that I have Asperger's. I started the topic here, instead of the Asperger's forum, because I thought other new Christians might ask this same question. Also, I'd like to add that the "wellnotmostly" part of my name was only added because of the jokes section. In all other sections, I am being completely serious.

Ahem.

I'm an introverted person. A very, VERY introverted person. Being around other people, even other Christians, can be difficult and uncomfortable. I've heard other people on this forum mention "spending time with God." I pray every night, I thank God for my good fortune when I think to, but I'm not exactly sure I go about spending time with him. Spending time with anyone is kind of a gray area for me.

Do I talk to him? That doesn't exactly work, as I hardly ever have anything to say. Conversations with others tend to consist of the other person talking, and me just listening. God doesn't talk to me a whole lot. At one point I thought to just sit in silence, but that didn't seem like it was accomplishing anything. Is he with me when I am thinking about him, or doing charitable things? If so, then this thread was a complete waste of time, and I'm sorry you read it. If not, then what do I do?
God does not answer you like a human would. If you believe in God, you will understand that God lives inside of you. If you have nothing to say to God, then just thank him for all the things you have, that´s a first step and that you already do.. To me spending time with God is showing other people love and compassion, to me it´s not enough just to sit and read a book or talk to him, you have to prove it. You can spend time with God in numerous ways, to me actions speak louder than words!

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes it helps when you read Scripture..that can spark off intercession or questions - you can ask God about things you don't understand in the Bible. He doesn't necessarily answer directly, but sometimes he just gives you understanding.
Don't fret too much about it though...God more than any human, understands what it is like for you and will surely meet you more than half-way.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To spend time with God, Notjoking, just begin speaking to Him in private (note Matthew 6:6 which may help). He only speaks back through His Holy Scripture, but will give leading and persuasions to the heart of one who sincerely seeks Him.

If one reads John 14 much will be clear about communion with God. The essence of knowing God is found in knowing His beloved Son ---the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God; so when one receives the Lord Jesus into their heart and is devoted to Him, the Father will then seal that one as a "child of God". Do you know the Lord Jesus (see John 3:16)? God will bless one with eternal life and all blessings in this present life, when one confesses their natural sinful nature to Him and confesses Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Look up always

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God does not answer you like a human would. If you believe in God, you will understand that God lives inside of you. If you have nothing to say to God, then just thank him for all the things you have, that´s a first step and that you already do.. To me spending time with God is showing other people love and compassion, to me it´s not enough just to sit and read a book or talk to him, you have to prove it. You can spend time with God in numerous ways, to me actions speak louder than words!
Yes, we cannot forget Jesus words 'what you have done for the least of these you have done unto me'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums