1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please enlighten me

Discussion in 'Struggles by Non-Christians' started by Persona non grata, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Persona non grata

Persona non grata New Member

+21
    Luxembourg
    Atheist
    Private
    Hi everyone,

Lately I'm kinda lost and don't really know what I want in life. I asked myself alot of what questions but still my brain is empty... which is the reason I need your advice on this topic. Maybe you can bring to the right part and lead me to discover what I truly want:

I used to work 9 to 5 jobs in order to finance the thing I need plus to be able to get a comfortale life(style) like everybody else. Every job was a struggle for me because it's monotonous, you know like every the typical routine jobs in an office for example.
    To be honest I can only point out what I don't want to do in a job but my mind went blank when it comes what really want to do / what makes me happy etc...

I guess this is also the reason why I didn't stay in those jobs for long...

Luckily I do have some hobbies to keep me busy like singing, photoshooting and some features as an extra for some projects.
    Still those are only activities but not jobs in which you earn money so you can paid the bills and other stuffs.

Because of the pandemic I've started to think if I should not pursue my "passion" which I still need to discover as anything unexpected could happen in this period and I somehow don't want to live with regret of not taking action and letting the opportunity slide in front of me.

Which career field do you think should I try out ? Do you think I lack of something that hinder me in finding it?

My english is not quite good so please tell me in case you don't understand what I'm trying to say.

If you need more details just let me know. Any help and advice are appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Persona non grata

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. sandman

sandman Senior Member

+934
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Constitution
    You have heard it said If you do what you love to do you won't work a day in your life.
    ???Photography ????

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+8,346
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    A singing photographer that people might remark on and enjoy could maybe sing for parties and actually take photos of the party while they sing (the mike being on a stand)....maybe even for wedding receptions, in addition to many other sorts of parties. While trying this out, you'd at first have to keep a day job probably, but you could try it, make business cards, and perhaps have something like a facebook page with you singing or such. Tell people you are the "_______" (some interesting moniker, like "The Singing Photographer" or whatever makes people interested)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+9,641
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    It sounds like you have some passions, things you love to do. Those should be pursued because they are some of the things that bring richness into a mere, flat existence. But if you're going to be practical, finding steady income and gaining the independence to pursue your passions makes sense, too. The other option is to pursue a way of being so that no matter what you do it's good. I don't know; it's hard.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Persona non grata

+21
    Luxembourg
    Atheist
    Private
    That will do - I'm more the one standing in front the camera so let's see how it goes and if can make more out of it than just a hobby. Thanks :)

6. Persona non grata

+21
    Luxembourg
    Atheist
    Private
    That will be also an idea but I'm more the one standing in front of the camera. Let's find some vocal lesson to train more my voice. Thanks :)

7. Persona non grata

+21
    Luxembourg
    Atheist
    Private
    Thank you for your words:) Any tips/advice of how to approach for my brainstorming? I'm kinda stuck in the situation and like to find a way to discover it by myself.
    Of course if I could pursue my passion while gaining an income and without restrictiing too much my freedom will be good but that's a dreamy job that hardly can be truth, can't it?
    I used to be a bit passive when it comes to anything in my life but now I want to take more the matter into my own hands. I don't to wait for opportunities to come anymore like looking at the jobboard for a job I like to come for example but to pursue, hunt and go for it if I can.
    Even when I have to take some lessons or training before getting it will be also fine for me.

8. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph New Member Supporter

+22
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Persona non grata, you face a struggle shared by many that's no simple matter, but here's my effort to help - coming from a retired American that's had 3 extraordinary careers and 12 jobs.

I think the first thing to do is to categorize yourself as an indoor versus outdoor person. In most places today there are a lot more indoor jobs than outdoor ones. They often pay more but the outdoor jobs can be more fun.

In either case, you might categorize yourself as a people person or not. An introvert might do well with engineering or computer work, whereas an extrovert might do well with business, sales, or politics.

You might consider the preference for staying put or traveling around. A typical person may be content working in an industry offering normal hours, stability, and home life, whereas an adventurer might enjoy traveling the world as a mariner or working for an overseas NGO.

You might consider the perks that government jobs in general can provide concerning employment security, benefits, and pensions. Going this route would narrow the field down substantially.

You might consider whether you're a strong willed or authority minded individual. Such a person would be more suited for some type of inspection, regulatory, or law enforcement work, whereas others wanting to wear the white hats and be people pleasers would be more suited to fire fighters, salesmen, or teachers.

You might consider whether you need a physically diverse job or prefer a passive one. It's a major lifestyle choice - being tied to a chair or driver's seat vs having a job that entails a lot of walking or physical labor.

Something that helped me with my career path was being able to actually scan thousands of job titles and read the interesting ones' postings. Doing so, you'll find all sorts of jobs and career paths that you'd never be able to imagine on your own. Really, explore your government job websites or start spending an hour every night digging into indeed.com. In that way, you'll discover what interests you by seeing it, rather than trying to imagine something that you have no knowledge of.

With the above tips, hopefully you can find 2 or 3 job categories that look interesting to you. Once there, I would recommend assessing the job prospects and salary. Money does matter, but I think it comes second to enjoying your work. Still, if you like computers, engineering, or health care as much as photography or singing, I'd choose the higher paying field in high demand. Understand, it generally takes extraordinary talent and perseverance to turn a fun hobby into a profession.

Finally, you might consider that no job or career will give you complete fulfillment or joy in life. You'll want and need more, and will inevitably lose it upon retirement. While you pursue your ambitions, I encourage you to assess your real purpose in life - to love God and to love people. That's the foundation that matters more than any job you pick. And with God on your side, you won't be running blind or lacking purpose in life.

• List
  9. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+4,204
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    Well, the God revealed in the Bible indicates to us in it that He didn't make us to pursue our own agenda, but His. God made us to know Him,

2 Timothy 1:12
    12 which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me.

John 17:3
    3 And this is life eternal, that they might know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Philippians 3:8-10
    8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ
    9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—
    10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection...

and in knowing Him, to love Him,

1 John 4:16-19
    16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
    17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.
    18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    19 We love because he first loved us.

Matthew 22:36-38
    36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”
    37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
    38 This is the great and first commandment.

and in loving Him, to enjoy Him,

Psalm 37:3-6
    3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
    4 Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
    5 Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act.
    6 He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday.

Psalm 16:8-9, 11
    8 I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
    9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure...

11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

and in enjoying Him, to glorify Him.

1 Corinthians 10:31
    31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Exodus 15:2
    2 The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.

Psalm 86:10-12
    10 For you are great, and do wondrous things: you alone are God.
    11 Teach me your way, O LORD; I will walk in your truth: unite my heart to fear your name.
    12 I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify your name for evermore.

This is why you exist. God intends that everything in your life be conformed to these fundamental, divinely-established purposes for your creation. And when your life is so conformed, your life will find its deepest, most fulfilling meaning and purpose.

Ordering yourself under God's purposes for your creation will bring clarity, meaning and purpose to your life in a way nothing else can.

Matthew 16:26
    26 "For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

You lack the most important, the most vital, thing: a relationship with God.

Revelation 3:20
    20 'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

• List
  10. Persona non grata

+21
    Luxembourg
    Atheist
    Private
    Thank you so much for your advice.

The tips how to proceed make sense and somehow it didn't cross my mind when I tried to brainstorm ideas...

And you are right that no job or career will give us complete fulfillment or joy in life. The reality is rather different than we hear from influencers or advertisment about this job or career.

I will follow those tips to enlighten me and I do hope to find what I'm looking for. I will come back when I have questions on this topic.

11. Persona non grata

+21
    Luxembourg
    Atheist
    Private
    Thank you for the quotations you write down for me. As God made our agenda, does this mean, unless we know and believe in him, we will suffer as we do? While other are blessed and other endure suffrance does this mean one is more favored by God and will live a life with abundance and prosperity while the other in poverty and misery conformed to the fundamental?

12. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+9,641
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    That's a good plan; be assertive. It does work. When I went to school there was a seminary across the street. I walked to the physical plant folks, told them I needed work and could do a few things, but definitely labor, and they hired me. Honestly, I was desperate, which gave me encouragement, haha. Still, it worked. I guess it's a bit cliche, but you really don't know unless you try.

I suppose you can do that with most anything. I'm assuming your passion is not working for some institution's phys plant. But the general principle of 'going for it' seems to cover a lot of ground. People who dedicate themselves to something will often succeed. But for every focus something is sacrificed. I got a degree in one thing, eliminating other options in that choice. The question is not just what do you love and want to do, but what are you willing to sacrifice to be good at it?

• List
  13. Persona non grata

+21
    Luxembourg
    Atheist
    Private
    I will go for it whenever this kind of job raises my interest like love at the first sight and like you said " you really don't know unless you try.
    I'm willingly to sacrifice alot and spending more time in focusing on my goal ( when I've found it)
    I also think that money plays a huge role whatever we are trying to do as most thing have to be exchanged with it such as food, material, projects, etc... that covers your goal.
    I know that money can't really bring any happiness but it will get rid the most burden in our daily life.

14. 1watchman

1watchman Overseer Supporter

+1,198
    Christian
    Married
    Well, the answer to the query is to make the Lord Jesus your Savior and lord of your life; and 'best Friend' every day. It will last for eternity and in Heaven (note John 3:16).

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    • List
  15. Persona non grata

+21
    Luxembourg
    Atheist
    Private
    Thank you for the quote.

Believing/putting faith in the Lord and having his guidance in a spiritual way is good.
    In the human world based on your experience, is there any guidance you can suggest me.
    I know it sounds a bit vague from my side but any suggestion or advice will help and it may cllick on me what to do :)

Thanks

16. EpicScore

EpicScore Member

+175
    Calvinist
    Single
    No, the Bible never promises that people who believe in God will be richer, healthier or otherwise have more comfortable lives than unbelievers.

However, to put it in a realistic perspective, not all people will be able to ever find their "dream job" or make a living through a hobby where they don't need to feel burdened by their day to day task. The faith that a good and wise God had placed them there for a good and everlasting purpose (whether for the betterment of their own character or to become a blessing for other people and bring positive changes in others' lives, or both) could bring a greater hope and joy in dealing with the daily stresses of the job, and who knows--It could help you perform better in whatever you're doing and lead you to better work opportunities in the long run.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

The comfort is in the fact that when you know you're pursuing God's purpose (they don't necessarily have to contradict our own desires), you are building something that will last forever.

Speaking from personal experience, I feel more comfortable and at ease working in a place where I can align what I'm doing to what I perceive is God's will than not. Having moved from banking to education (neither of which are my passions), I had to lower my standards of living (smaller house, no transport, cheaper meals). However, I felt that helping build better higher education for the next generation was more in line with God's vision for this country than assisting rich business people get richer (although I can cognitively acknowledge the value of business and banking in the Kingdom of God--and a lot of those same "rich business people" I used to serve at the bank had a hand in helping build the school I now work for), and I am happier in my current job, even if the previous one offered better salary and prestige.

I hope that you can be encouraged, and you can find a breakthrough with your work and general situation.

17. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+4,204
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    God has instituted certain basic "rules" or principles that govern everybody, saved or not. There's the law of gravity, for example, and the law of entropy, and so on, but there are also principles concerning human conduct that also are in force in the life of all people regardless of their beliefs. Generally, if you work hard, you reap the benefits of your labor. And whether you are a believer or not, the harder you work, generally, the greater the pay-off. Generally, too, the better educated you are and the more skills you possess, the broader your opportunities for employment. And so on. These "rules" aren't Christian specific.

While God has designed you and I for a specific purpose - to know, love, enjoy and glorify Him - He doesn't make us live according to His design. If we are determined to live our own way, He'll let us; but the consequences will be destructive in a variety of ways, unsatisfying, moving us further and further from God.

God doesn't promise His own won't suffer. Being a Christian doesn't guarantee relief from all suffering, only that God is with the Christian who is suffering, strengthening, comforting and guiding them, achieving eternal, divine purposes in their suffering. The person apart from God who suffers must do so without His supporting presence and power, their suffering having no higher purpose or value, but just an unhappy, unavoidable intrusion upon their short-lived existence that takes away from the extremely finite time they have to enjoy themselves before they die.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022 at 6:19 PM
  18. 1watchman

+1,198
    Christian
    Married
    Please read John 3:16; John 14; John 17; Romans 8; and all the four Gospels in the Holy Bible to hear God speaking to you, friend. God wants to save all who will trust Him through His "...beloved Son": the Lord Jesus. With the Lord Jesus in your life, and trusting Him; by staying in communion all day every day, one will find Him their 'best Friend' as well as Savior for Heaven; and guide one along our path in this troubling world. Jesus said: "no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me" (John 14:6).
    You may write me personally at Conversation Page here on CF if you wish to chat about our Creator-God and His "...so great salvation", friend. I have been walking with my Lord for over 60 years and have found Him always by my side. He never fails those who trust Him --and has often been described by true "born again" saints often as "best Friend".
    I also have found the website at Biblecounsel.net to be much help in learning God's intent for our pathway. I will pray for you. --1watchman

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  19. 1watchman

+1,198
    Christian
    Married
    All souls need a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus; note John 3:16; and all the Gospel books of our Bible. That is how we learn of God and how to be saved for Heaven. The Lord Jesus says to the true believer: "lo, I am with you always".

20. SANTOSO

SANTOSO Well-Known Member

+1,165
    Indonesia
    Christian
    Married
    Beloved one, you would not be lost if you found Jesus. If you are looking for what you want in life is living with Him and in Him.

If you asked yourself a lot of questions, you should consider whether the questions were of old nature or according to the words ghat Jesus have spoken.

Your brain or mind should not be empty but fruitful, that you think the things of the Spirit.

Be in Him, you will have the peace of the Lord, that overcome the world.

To God the Father be all glory and thanksgiving through Christ. Amen