Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have long-term physical disability from a car accident years ago. I have also recently been on medical leave from work, due to a wrist injury, and I'm not quite back at work yet. There has been improvement, and it shouldn't be much longer.

Very early this morning, as I was trying to go back to sleep, I was praying. My lower back starting to hurt, and I prayed about it. Almost instinctively, possibly guided by His hand, I started to stretch. Oh how the pain relief just flooded over me. I couldn't thank Him enough!

I got to thinking then about the concept of yoga. Here's how I understand it. The physical movements and stretches are not unbiblical, and they do benefit the body. The problem is that while doing these things, the mind is basically focused on false gods. The motions and positions themselves, which are basically stretching and relaxation exercises, can just as easily be done while praying to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ.

Am I right or wrong about any of this? What would it be called? Is it still just plain yoga? Is it Christian yoga? Is Christian yoga even a thing? Is it simply doing stretching and relaxation exercises while praying? And/or is there a more concise way to say that?

Thank you for everything you can give me.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have long-term physical disability from a car accident years ago. I have also recently been on medical leave from work, due to a wrist injury, and I'm not quite back at work yet. There has been improvement, and it shouldn't be much longer.

Very early this morning, as I was trying to go back to sleep, I was praying. My lower back starting to hurt, and I prayed about it. Almost instinctively, possibly guided by His hand, I started to stretch. Oh how the pain relief just flooded over me. I couldn't thank Him enough!

I got to thinking then about the concept of yoga. Here's how I understand it. The physical movements and stretches are not unbiblical, and they do benefit the body. The problem is that while doing these things, the mind is basically focused on false gods. The motions and positions themselves, which are basically stretching and relaxation exercises, can just as easily be done while praying to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ.

Am I right or wrong about any of this? What would it be called? Is it still just plain yoga? Is it Christian yoga? Is Christian yoga even a thing? Is it simply doing stretching and relaxation exercises while praying? And/or is there a more concise way to say that?

...simply doing stretching and relaxation exercises while praying

That's a good way to describe it.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Nothing wrong with stretching excercises, I do them all the time for my back as well. Yoga however, is a Hindu practice aimed at the release of the so called
" chakras". There is no such thing as a Christian version of it. So just stick to stretching.
Blessings!

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think if one is not doing it for the reasons it was made for then go for it your just working out. When I was young my dad had me take Judo. Well I can still see the young friend loved Jesus bless his heart said because I took Judo I had a demon. There is some truth to that but.. he was really far off.

So work out all you want.. if it bothered someone just have Christian music playing I don't know. What matters is HE knows your heart.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The motions and positions themselves, which are basically stretching and relaxation exercises, can just as easily be done while praying to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ.

Seems about right to me :)
Probably work a heck of a lot better too ;)

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What most Americans do would be called, "Gym Yoga." These are exercises used in traditional
yoga, without Hindu spirituality. In fact, you can bring Christian meditation into the exercises
if your able to. I've been doing Yoga exercises off and on for about 25 years.

Upvote 0