Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Play the Flute (Christian) Movie - Spoiler Free Review:

full

Short Synopsis of the Film:

Faced with an indifferent youth group, a new youth Pastor (actor: Brett Varvel) tries to motivate his students to read God's Word and get serious about their faith.​

Running Time:

1 hour and 43 minutes (Which is a good length for a film).​

Film Type:

Christian / Drama / Inspirational.​

MPAA Rating:

None (But it is family friendly in my opinion).​

Director:

Rich Christiano (Who is one of my favorite Christian directors).​

Overall Production Value:

In General: Good.
Camera Shots, Film, Lighting: Good.
Acting: Excellent. Brett Varvel really shines in every scene in this film. I pray that Rich does more work with him in the future (Lord willing).
Script: Pretty Good.
Select scenes: Excellent.
Emotional Engagement of the Film: Excellent.​

My Initial Thought of The Film:

Initially when I heard about this film before I seen the trailer, I was thinking of how this kind of film could actually be good; But director Rich Christiano (the creator behind Play the Flute, Time Changer, the Secrets of Jonathan Sperry) has a talent to making the unthinkable happen. Even the title of the film ("Play the Flute") was kind of strange for me, but after reading Matthew 11:16-17, it makes perfect sense, and in light of seeing the film, it is a perfect title.​

What can you expect when watching this film?

1. If you are a follower of Christ, it will make you cry and or tear up.
2. It inspires you to follow the Lord.
3. Cheer for God.
4. Shows you that God’s Word can change lives.
5. It makes you think about the importance of how this life is temporary and only Jesus can save us from the fear of death.
6. The indifference of our youth today in regards to God's Word.
7. God can talk to us in everyday life situations.
8. God's people really do love all people and want them to be saved and walking with the Lord.​

The best things about this film:

Preaching the Word of God scene:

Youth Pastor "Brandon Cobb" (actor: Brett Varvel) makes the film come alive, and his interaction with his students are really engaging. I could only wish to have a Pastor like this, or to have a leader of a bible study group in a person's home like that. I would even just take having a friend in the Lord like this. Why? Well, so many are not taking God's Word seriously these days. Many in the church want to use God's grace as a safety net to sin. But this youth Pastor is truly on fire for the Lord. I have talked with Rich (the director of the film), and he states Brett believes every word that he says in this film. For me, when Brett preached from a passage in the Psalms, I got chills (in a good way). The passage spoke to me in a deep way by his reading of it. The passage in the Psalms also played an important part in the film. I am now seeking to memorize this 5 verse passage from the Psalms (that was quoted in the movie) and make it a part of my life. So thank you Rich, and thank you Brett and thank you to all others who made this scene of the film the most amazing scene I have ever seen in Christian cinematic history. While you may not get the reward in this life for filming such a scene, I know you will get rewarded greatly for your efforts on making that scene happen. So while many would prefer to see an action packed scene of the Avengers with cool special effects duking it out with super powered bad guy villains, give me more gem stones of a scene like this one. For I thirst and hunger always for the Word of God and it's righteousness. Absolutely beautiful.​

The cemetery scene:

The performance of Brett telling you about his life experience relating to their visit to the cemetery really made you visualize as if you were there with him. No flashback scene of his story was filmed because it was not needed. His performance made you feel like you were actually there in his past with him and you could feel what he was feeling. Truly a powerful scene with a great spiritual message behind it.​

Scene I cannot tell you about in detail (without ruining the film):

This scene is the turning point of the film, and it is very emotional.
Solid performances. Sorry, I do not want to say anymore then this without ruining the film for you.​

My Overall Rating of the Film:

A-

A very good film overall that inspires you to follow the Lord Jesus Christ. That is something that is priceless in this film and Rich pulls this message off masterfully. I want to thank Rich, Brett, the other actors involved, the film crew, and production crew for making this film possible. If the film ever comes out on DVD or Blu Ray, or Prime Video Instant Streaming, I will make it my mission to spread the word of this film to all. I know if it comes out on DVD, I will probably buy a ton of copies to give away to people as gifts. For I know this movie can change a person's life because the movie contains he Word of God in a powerful way. It is an amazing ministry tool that can inspire men to follow the Lord Jesus Christ. So if you see one film this summer, see this movie if you are the kind of Christian who is serious about following the Lord.

Side Note:

Please be advised that I am not sharing my entire thoughts for this film (Which would include any minor negative comments) at this time because I do not want to spoil the film and because I want to help the director promote the film in theaters.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
full

This Movie is only being played in limited theaters in the US. If you are interested in seeing if is playing in your area, you can check out the showtimes by scrolling down to the bottom of the page of the official website of the movie here:

Play The Flute Movie

Note: The website keeps adding new showtimes, so please keep checking back at the site ever so often to see if it is playing in your area.

Big name actors in this film are: Louretta Switt (MASH the TV series), Clint Howard, Fred Gandy (Love Boat TV series).

IMDB page:

Play the Flute (2019) - IMDb

Note: Please take note that I do not agree with watching MASH: The TV Series, or Love Boat the TV Series. I am not in support of Hollywood secular entertainment. I merely mentioned that that there are big name actors in this film if you enjoyed their previous performances.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Other Related Thread Links For This Film:

full

To see my original thread on this film (before I seen this film), with a special behind the scenes video clip, see this thread here.

This film has more than earned the right to be on my "Most Rewatchable Christian Films List." To see my other favorite Christian films that I enjoy to watch over and over, see this thread here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
New Update:

While the director wants to promote this movie in the theaters, he realizes that this is not feasible due to many theaters being shut down because of the pandemic here in the United States. The Film is available to see on a pay per view basis in the comfort of your own home online temporarily at this time (Due to the Coronavirus situation).

You can get further details by going to the official site here:

Play The Flute Movie
(Note: Scroll down a little on the page below the section called “Request Screening Info” and you can contact the director by phone or email. The director (Rich Christiano: has created such Christian movies such as: Time Changer, and the Secrets of Jonathan Sperry).

With tax, Play the Flute movie is about 15 bucks to see.
A little pricey, but it is worth it.
You choose the time slot you want, and you have about an hour and a half from the timeslot you desire to see the movies.
For example: If you want to see the movie at 7:00PM tomorrow, you have until 8:30PM to start the movie; But you cannot stop or pause the movie. The director will send you a link (after you talk with him on the phone and you pay him).

There are not many Christian movies like this one (Which seek to inspire a person to want to follow the Lord Jesus). I watched it two nights ago with my wife. If there are any problems with the link (if you lost internet connection, paused the movie, etc), you can call the director directly to have him send you another link.

This would be the second time in my seeing this film and I still enjoy it. I am thinking of maybe seeing it one more time.

Side Note:

Oh, and I seen this movie last year (2019) in theaters in May/June in Stony Brook, New York. So I really wanted to see it again a second time at home.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My close Christian friend at work seen it yesterday. He really enjoyed and he understands why I want to see it multiple times. Again, there are some really powerful scenes in the film that inspires you to want to follow the Lord all the more. If that sounds like your kind of movie, you need to check this film out.

While I did not like two scenes towards the end of the film, and a few minor other things, it is powerful film with enough great content to make you want to shout for joy in the streets for people to follow the Lord.

Again, you can get the director's phone number and or email from the official website for PlaytheFlutemovie.com to set up at time to watch it at home online via your computer or TV that has internet access.

I highly recommend it!

:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0