Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Feser's book on Philosophy of Mind is a comprehensive and even-handed intro. Know he was a Thomist, is he a Platonist/ idealist? I have read his articles on his blog, and his wife has a book that is helpful for apologetics.

He's Aristotelian. (I just started his book on Aquinas and would definitely recommend it!)

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Feser's book on Philosophy of Mind is a comprehensive and even-handed intro. Know he was a Thomist, is he a Platonist/ idealist? I have read his articles on his blog, and his wife has a book that is helpful for apologetics.

Feser is of the Aristotelian-Thomist tradition. It is worth looking up his books on Amazon, I had started with "The Last Superstition" - a rather potent attack on the "New Atheists". Presently reading "Aquinas" after going through "Philosophy of Mind".

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Feser is of the Aristotelian-Thomist tradition. It is worth looking up his books on Amazon, I had started with "The Last Superstition" - a rather potent attack on the "New Atheists". Presently reading "Aquinas" after going through "Philosophy of Mind".
Agree that he is a strident defender of Theism. And worth every minute invested in his books

• Agree
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The classic picture of Plato pointing UP and Aristotle pointing DOWN to the earth has been made much of.

AS to reading Isaiah and Plato AT THE SAME TIME, well, let's throw in the Book of Mormon, which quotes several chapters of Isaiah verbatim

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I really love his background--spending his college and most of his grad school days as an atheist before teaching Aquinas to undergrads and finally digging into the arguments. I would love to know what pushed him over from a vanilla theism to Catholicism, because that's where things get really sticky for philosophy types!

I really enjoyed reading through some of his attacks on materialism on his blog. He's got a whole series dedicated to going after the critics of Thomas Nagel's Mind and Cosmos. It's a wild ride. (That's where I first ran across him.)

• Agree
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0