Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Thanks to videos from youtube like this, old geysers like me can learn stuff that is usually reserved for the highly educated, or used to be anyway.
I'm wondering how a thorough knowledge of these two guys might inform my faith? I do know that the Catholic theologian, Thomas Aquinas drew from Aristotle. And Saint Augustine drew a lot from Plato.
So Plato is the idealist and Aristotle the pragmatist? I can see the implications for politics from this youtube clip. We need to have some ideals but if we aren't practical, it wont work. Communism didn't/doesnt work really. Utopia doesn't either.
Maybe we can transfer this perspective towards the Gospels? The Gospels are the ideal but if we take Aristotle's view, we need to make pragmatic adjustments to make it work in reality? Don't think Aquinas saw this implication by the way. :)

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thanks to videos from youtube like this, old geysers like me can learn stuff that is usually reserved for the highly educated, or used to be anyway.
I'm wondering how a thorough knowledge of these two guys might inform my faith? I do know that the Catholic theologian, Thomas Aquinas drew from Aristotle. And Saint Augustine drew a lot from Plato.
So Plato is the idealist and Aristotle the pragmatist? I can see the implications for politics from this youtube clip. We need to have some ideals but if we aren't practical, it wont work. Communism didn't/doesnt work really. Utopia doesn't either.
Maybe we can transfer this perspective towards the Gospels? The Gospels are the ideal but if we take Aristotle's view, we need to make pragmatic adjustments to make it work in reality? Don't think Aquinas saw this implication by the way. :)
Plato AND Aristotle are worth consideration. An Aristotelian world does make more sense (to me). Give 'em both a shot. Try reading Plato and Isaiah at the same time. They were contemporaries in two vastly different cultures. It's very interesting. As to Aristotle, the Nichomachian Ethics is classic, but in some ways really deficient. Aquinas was a necessary corrective to Aristotle.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds good. In the car, I've been listening to Peter Kreeft's lectures The Platonic Tradition. He provides a brief abstract of each of Plato's dialogues, and compares Plato with Aristotle. He also compares Augustine with Plato. As I recall, it's believed that Augustine read Plotinus, but not Plato first-hand. Kreeft also discusses anti-Platonists ancient and modern.
One ancient counter-Plato philosopher was Gorgias. Kreeft notes his three main points,

i. Nothing exists
ii. Even if existence exists, it cannot be known
iii. Even if it could be known, it cannot be communicated.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You mean he changed some of Aristotle's ideas?
That was an assignment for my Church Fathers class, first semester. And it turned out to be an exam question in the form of asking whether Plato and Isaiah met how would they influence each other. Would Plato have become a proto-Christian? My answer was 'no' but it was only a speculative answer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That was an assignment for my Church Fathers class, first semester. And it turned out to be an exam question in the form of asking whether Plato and Isaiah met how would they influence each other. Would Plato have become a proto-Christian? My answer was 'no' but it was only a speculative answer.
Makes me curious about doing similar study and assignments. :)

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Aristotle didn't deny Platonic forms. He just thought they were instantiated in the material world so he added to Platonism and created realism. One of the challenges in the video you posted is that it is a historian talking about philosophy. For a view of Plato, Aristotle, and Plotinus' impact on early Christianity, see this video by Peter Kreeft:
see
will clarify the relation between Greek and early Christian philosophy.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Aristotle didn't deny Platonic forms. He just thought they were instantiated in the material world so he added to Platonism and created realism. One of the challenges in the video you posted is that it is a historian talking about philosophy. For a view of Plato, Aristotle, and Plotinus' impact on early Christianity, see this video by Peter Kreeft:

see
will clarify the relation between Greek and early Christian philosophy.
The problem being that Peter Kreeft goes a tad over my head. :) I need to read up some more first. Thanks anyway.

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem being that Peter Kreeft goes a tad over my head. :) I need to read up some more first. Thanks anyway.

I would highly recommend Edward Feser who has written several books of note, he is a Thomist. It should be noted that books by any philosopher shouldn't be read as one would read a novel...worth reading in smaller sections with time to digest and consider.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks . I will watch it as I have seen other Peter Kreeft videos. He is a real bonus for Catholicism.
IN fact if I were going to consider converting he would be a guy I would listen to.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would highly recommend Edward Feser who has written several books of note, he is a Thomist. It should be noted that books by any philosopher shouldn't be read as one would read a novel...worth reading in smaller sections with time to digest and consider.
Feser's book on Philosophy of Mind is a comprehensive and even-handed intro. Know he was a Thomist, is he a Platonist/ idealist? I have read his articles on his blog, and his wife has a book that is helpful for apologetics.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
William Lane Craig has a site called reasonablefaith.org.

That site will direct you to Defenders Class and there Craig lectures to us comMon folk..

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
William Lane Craig has a site called reasonablefaith.org.

That site will direct you to Defenders Class and there Craig lectures to us common folk.

Upvote 0