Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You mean the same experts that can't generate a working aurora or corona in a lab experiment based on MR theory?

Yawn. Don't you ever get bored of writing the same old nonsense, post after post? You have never demonstrated a corona in a lab. And what has MR got to do with aurorae? Most MR happens in the magnetotail.

That's not my job, it's your job to show me the paper and the specific lab experiment that shows that MR isn't actually induction and demonstrates it to be a unique process. Alfven's double layer paper describes current sheet interactions without mentioning MR. AFAIK, MR is simply a redundant relabeling of ordinary induction. Where's your direct empirical proof that MR is a unique process that is not induction?

Yes it is your job. Not a single scientist, nor anybody who has even a vague understanding of the subject, is claiming that MR is induction! It is a ludicrous claim. Therefore you need to back it up. Or it remains a ludicrous claim, unsupported by science.

I'm able to (and have) cited all kind of published and peer reviewed papers to make my points in the standard scientific manner, whereas you keep asserting your own opinions as "facts", and citing random individuals from random websites to try to make your points. You're the one who doesn't seem to understand how a scientific debate is supposed to work.

No, you have not. Where is the paper claiming MR doesn't happen? How many thousands do I need to link to to show that it does? Where are the rebuttals to those papers? Where are the claims of MR being induction (lol)? Who is making them, besides an unqualified layman?

Upvote 0

Smithi

Apr 18, 2019
Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Birkeland absolutely associates the corona in that video and in his experiments with the sun's corona. From page 661 of his book: The Norwegian Aurora Polaris Expedition:

Then he was wrong, wasn't he? And who cares what some bloke thought over a century ago? It is an irrelevance.

Yes it is, and yes it does.
NASA - NASA is Tracking Electron Beams from the Sun

That's another "successful prediction" of Birkeland's model by the way.

No, it is not. You made that up. Show me the paper claiming the Sun is a cathode (lol!). You have already been told - the Sun is essentially charge neutral, or maybe a wee bit positive. By definition, it cannot have a large charge of either sign on it, or the bloody solar wind wouldn't exist as we know it. You think those electrons are all by themselves, with no ions around? Think again.

False. Even papers by the mainstream talk about it having some surface charge due to gravitational separation of lighter electrons and heavier protons.

Which papers? The Neslusan paper? ~ 77C? Sorry, you ain't getting anything from that! And certainly not a cathode. Ions are heavier than electrons. Which ones, in your simplistic views, would be closer to the surface? And what charge are they?

Yes, and Birkeland predicted that the sun would emit *both* types of particles, but it also emits "strahl" electrons that move much faster than solar wind protons.

The strahl is just a part of the quasi-neutral solar wind. The electrons are not all by their lonesome!

Birkeland actually "predicted" that the sun emits both types of particles based on the results of his laboratory experiments.

In which case, the Sun cannot have much of a charge on it, can it? Make your mind up!

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You asked me what might keep galaxies from collapsing and I suggested it might be related to EM repulsion because Birkeland assumed that all suns had a negatively charged surface which would act to repulse other negatively charged suns.

Um...wut? Not sure if serious.

Reactions: Smithi
Upvote 0

Smithi

Apr 18, 2019
Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I certainly can add a little EM repulsion to gravity.

Oh dear. Let's go back to Neslusan, shall we?

We can also demonstrate that the electrostatic interaction between two idealized stars charged with the electrostatic charges, derived here, is extremely weak compared to gravity. The magnitude of electrostatic force represents only about 10^−36 of the magnitude of gravity.

On the global electrostatic charge of stars
Neslusan, L.
https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/pdf/2001/24/aah2649.pdf

The charge derived by Neslusan is ~ 77 Coulombs (positive). Now, what would the charge need to be to have any impact on any other star wandering into the vicinity?
Hint; you are going to need to hit the 0 button quite a lot of times!

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Nope. EU is mostly definitely founded in Veoikosky's nonsense. And Talbott's.

You really should stop getting all of your opinions about scientific models from random websites, and from unknown individuals. That's not "science", that's just absurd.

Who the heck even put up that random website that you you citing Smithi? Do you even know?

Talbott never proposed anything particularly unique to him personally AFAIK, so I have no idea why you think he could have "founded" any part of EU theory, let alone the whole thing.

I listed a quote from Birkeland's book where it's clear that Birkeland beat Talbott to the concept of electricity in space by quite a few decades.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Nope. You cannot understand Alfven's work because you do not understand plasma physics.

I apparently know it better than you do because I actually read the relevant materials, whereas you evidently do not. You seem to base everything you "think" you know about various topics on some random website links by unknown and unidentified individuals.

And Alfven was wrong. So who cares what he said?

You keep falsely accusing him to be wrong yet you can't cite a single *specific* paper, paragraph or formula from any of his 100 papers to backup your ridiculous claim. Who do you think you're fooling?

Falthammar certainly doesn't!

Did Faithammar win a Nobel prize in MHD theory?

Is that the best you can do?

It demonstrates that the majority opinion in science at any given time is irrelevant, as is your appeal to authority/popularity fallacy routine.

Lol. Alfven was wrong.

You've never provided any specific criticism of his work, and I doubt you've even read it frankly.

MR is observed.

You keep blatantly confusing the difference between "observation" with 'interpretation'. The "cause" of something can only really be determined by active experimentation in a lab, not *just* by observation. You can't even get MR theory to generate a simulation of a corona or an aurora in a lab, whereas both of those things were done more than a century ago based on circuit theory.

In the lab,

Where's your simulation of a corona based on MR in a lab again? Where's the exhastive study that demonstrates that MR isn't just a redundant term for induction?

in-situ and in solar flares.

Again, you keep confusing the difference between *observation* and *interpretation*. Alfven explained those things with circuit theory. Fact.

Your opinions as to cause are not "fact" they're just subjective opinions and opinions are a dime a dozen. Fact!

Ergo he was wrong.

Nope. You can't even generate a full sphere corona yet in a lab to support your "opinions", whereas Birkeland did so with circuit theory a full century ago, without MR theory. MR theory is redundant and pretty useless as far as I can tell. Alfven thought so too.

Which is why nobody supports his out of date musings on MR.

Ya and nobody took Aristarchus serious for centuries either. So what?

Oh dear. Now we're on to Ptolemy! Haha. Wrong is wrong. Get over it.

Ya and the majority position has often been proven to be wrong, particularly in astronomy. Your appeals to popularity fallacies are absurd arguments.

I've no idea who Ratcliffe is.

I have no idea who you are. I do know who Hilton is, and I do know who Peratt is, and I do know who Alfven was.

About

Lerner is a nobody....

Lerner is a professional plasma physicist.

Peratt does likely understand MR, but I have not seen him supporting Alfven's errors.

Peratt works at Los Alamos labs, and I'm pretty sure he understands MR theory, but he openly supports circuit theory and Alfven's cosmology model that is based upon circuit theory, not MR.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Lol. Don't flatter yourself. I engage a number of people in a number of places, most of them EUists. I do not care what.................things...........they believe. I merely do it to stop those places becoming a propganda outlet for EU.......... things. Lest the less scientifically literate become taken in by it.

The ironic part is that you *still* don't seem to know anything about the EU topic, and you're evidently easily "taken in" by just about anything that you read on a random website. :)

Psst: If you're going to be a decent "skeptic" you should at least make a serious attempt to *correctly understand the basic concepts*, otherwise you just sound ridiculous.

Waaaay better than you do.

How would I *possibly* know that? Take your word for it? Forgetaboutit! I haven't seen you present a decent argument yet that involved actual "science" and a real scientific citation.

And professional plasma physicists, like Tusenfem (Martin Volwerk), understand it waaaaaay better that I.

And Alfven understood MHD theory way better than Martin. Martin doesn't have a Nobel prize in MHD theory does he?

And I am in the process of looking through some of his replies to you over your total lack of understanding of the subject.

Right, because you don't ever use published scientific material to refute anything, just whatever someone writes on a random website. You therefore have to consult your HQ of disinformation.

Might have to post some of them. It really is amusing reading! Or sad. Depending on your viewpoint.

The sad part is the fact that you think some random website comment, mixed with liberal dose of personal insults, are a valid scientific argument. That is just sad.

Errrr, the DLs aren't there!

Oh yes they are. They even talk about "current sheets" in most instances.

And will not change the topology of the magnetic field in the way that is seen in the lab and in-situ!

You've yet to show me any laboratory experiment that clearly and specifically demonstrates that MR theory is unique and not just ordinary induction by a different name. You're making the extraordinary claim that we need MR to explain events in plasma whereas Alfven claimed that the term was redundant and made obsolete by his double layer paper. That sure seems to be true.

No need to dig through a failed prediction to show that it failed. Nobody believes that DL stuff any more.

Translation: You cannot find any errors in his work. Don't sweat it. Martin could not find any specific error in his work either, nor could anyone else at your misinformation HQ.

Trivially false. You made that up. Which paper are these invisible DLs that cause reconnection observed in?

There's nothing "invisible" about DL's. Which lab paper on MR doesn't isn't preceded by current and/or current sheets?

I have made no erroneous statements.

Pfft. You just made another one. :) You *clearly* misrepresented Birkeland's lab simulation of a corona because he absolutely discussed it in his work. Did you even bother to read Birkeland's book yourself before you misrepresented it?

And my claims about circuit theory are those I have directly nicked from the posts......

In other words, it came from a random unpublished website, but you happen to actually know that guys real name? Is that it? You seem to "nick" a lot of things from random websites that are simply erroneous nonsense. Ever consider getting your material and developing your arguments from real books and real published papers?

of a professional plasma physicist telling you the same thing!

So go get Martin to generate a corona simulation in a lab based on MR theory. Then I'll care. Until then I can see with my own eyes that circuit theory is superior to MR theory in the lab.

Maybe I need to start posting these comments from real scientists, telling you that you haven't got any sort of grasp of the subject.

Maybe you should find a published rebuttal to one of my papers. Oh wait, you can't find any. Psst: Your misinformation HQ botched the basics of Lerners model something terrible, so I really have no interest in their comments about me. I'm still waiting for the missing mathematical expression of a non-zero rate of "magnetic reconnection" without a single plasma particle to their names. It's been like nine years now, and I'm still waiting. Go ask Martin for it.

Lol. That is nothing to do with circuit theory! Go learn the subject. Get back to us when you have. Do you know what is necessary to model a system using circuit theory, Michael? A pencil and paper!

Oy Vey. Building a "model" is easy. Building a working *simulation* requires that your model is "correct".

Circuit theory is "correct:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian

Wow, you didn't even paraphrase his argument correctly the first time through. When you "nick" ideas from random websites, at least nick them correctly, otherwise you do *everyone* a disservice.

FYI, I'm not using circuit theory for MR, I'm using it, and Alfven's double layer paper to *replace* the need for it *entirely*!

But does not describe the plasma.

It describes the high energy state *of* the plasma, and the non local factors that influence plasma locally. That's the key problem with MR theory. It essentially tries to ignore all the circuit energy or model moving particles as "magnetic lines', which is why it's still currently incapable of correctly estimating the higher speed processes we observe. Even "fast" reconnection models are not fast enough to explain some observations.

Nope. We can describe lots of plasma systems of various dimensions using MHD.

You can model some local events pretty well, but you cannot describe all the current flow aspects, and circuit energy aspects of plasma with MHD alone.

The solar wind, for one. When you look at MHD you need to look at the timescales you are modelling, and whether it is appropriate for a certain situation. It is not appropriate for MR. It is appropriate for getting a good idea of the solar wind interaction with Venus, Mars or comets, for instance.

Wow, we may actually agree on something. Amazing. :)

Which part of 'magnetic reconnection is observed' does not show him to be wrong? He was wrong.

Plasma movement is observed. Magnetic reconnection is a "theory" to explain that movement of charged particles. You haven't shown him to be wrong because his double layer paper explains the very same events. Both the DL model *and* the MR model can be subjectively used to try to explain such events.

Lerner isn't worth bothering with.

Lerner knows more about plasma than you do or I do.

So, show me Peratt modelling MR with circuit theory.

He would *never* do such a thing, nor would Alfven. They use(d) circuit theory and exploding double layers to explain high energy events in plasma.

Or claiming that MR doesn't occur.

Even I would not claim that "MR doesn't occur", I just see no laboratory evidence that it's not just ordinary magnetic flux and ordinary induction by a different name.

Which part of 'magnetic reconnection is observed' does not show him to be wrong? He was wrong. Change the record.

Which part of "your subjective interpretation of observation does not show him to be wrong" don't you understand? There are *two* possible explanations for the very same observations, and your model is almost (not quite) entirely useless in the lab. It cannot produce a corona, nor an aurora, yet circuit theory has done that for more than a century. What is your problem with MR in the lab?

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
You are making things up again.

No, you are projecting again.

MR is observed in the lab.

Moving plasma is observed in the lab. MR is a *theory* that attempts to explain it. You've yet to show me any experiment that clearly and physically demonstrates that MR is even a unique process in the first place. As far as I know, it's just a relabeling of the two terms "magnetic flux" and "induction". What's the physical difference? Somov's vacuum example is physically indistinguishable from magnetic flux.

It is observed in-situ by multiple spacecraft.

You continuously confuse "observation" (of moving plasma) with "interpretation" as to cause. Everywhere that MR is used today was described by Alfven using circuits and double layers.

It is observed on the Sun.

Same problem. You're confusing observation with interpretation. Alfven used circuits and double layers there too.

It is 100% fact.

I really don't think you understand "science" at all even on it's most fundamental level. There are physical "theories" in science, and physical "laws" in science, but even "laws" are subject to change. What you are describing as "fact" isn't fact at all. It's a subjective interpretation of evidence, nothing more. You're completely botching the most rudimentary aspects of science. Subjective interpretations and theories are not "facts", they are simply theoretical explanations for observations. Period.

I know of no scientist claiming otherwise. Alfven was wrong. Not even Falthammar followed his erroneous conclusions!

Yet nobody seems to be able to simulate even the most basic elements of solar physics like a corona based on MR theory, a full *century* after these things were done with circuit theory, so I see no evidence that Alfven was wrong.

Lerner is a nonentity.

Lerner is a professional plasma physicist who gets paid to work with plasma. What are your qualifications as it relates to plasma physics?

Peratt, as far as I can see, is wandering around some desert or other, looking for plasma............stuff.................. in rock art!

Yawn. You are reduced to personally attacking everyone you disagree with because you don't have the qualifications, and you can't put together a decent scientific rebuttal to any of their work. How sad.

It is seen in the lab, so you made that up.

No, plasma movement is seen in the lab. MR is a theory to explain such movements.

And there is no such thing as 'MR theory'.

False. There is no such thing as MR "fact".

And given that it is detected in-situ, there is no argument to be had.

Again, you keep intentionally misrepresenting the difference between "subjective interpretation" and observation.

No scientist supports Alfven's wonky claims about MR.

Repeating the same false claims just makes you look bad. Peratt certainly supports his DL and circuit models.

Not going to read your own posts, any more? Fair enough.

Not going to listen to your subjective "nick" of my posts, that's for sure. You didn't even "nick" Martin's comments properly, so you sure won't "nick" mine properly either.

Lol. Not a single scientist is claiming that MR is induction nonsense! None. So how the hell am I going to find a paper saying "MR is not induction. Not that anyone is claiming that it is, but we thought we'd make that clear. For fun." Do you see how utterly ridiculous that is? Induction cannot change the field topology in the way it is seen to be by MR. As you have been told umpteen times.

Real plasma physicist;

International Skeptics Forum - View Single Post - Plasma Cosmology - Woo or not

It's absolutely sad that you cannot support any of your claims with published papers and you're reduced to citing random websites.

Here is the key problem with MR theory in a nutshell:

Magnetic reconnection - Wikipedia

A current problem in plasma physics is that observed reconnection happens much faster than predicted by MHD in high Lundquist number plasmas (i.e. fast magnetic reconnection). Solar flares, for example, proceed 13–14 orders of magnitude faster than a naive calculation would suggest, and several orders of magnitude faster than current theoretical models that include turbulence and kinetic effects.

Emphasis mine. Even the 'fastest' reconnection models cannot explain the speed of many of the events seen seen in solar flares. It's not just a 'little' off, it's off by *multiple* orders of magnitude! That is an absolutely epic failure!

The key strength of circuit theory is that it includes the movement of charged particles and it includes all the circuit energy available to the exploding double layer to explain such high energy discharge events. Not only is MR theory weak in the lab, it doesn't even come close to jiving with direct observations of solar flare events. It's not even close to being in the right ballpark!

You can therefore rant and rave all you want about how you *think* Alfven is wrong and circuit theory is wrong, but not only can't MR generate something as simple as a corona in a real lab simulation, it cannot explain or correctly model the key aspects of solar flares either. It's almost (not quite) utterly useless when it comes to describing high energy solar physics and it's a century behind circuit theory in the lab and counting in terms of working simulations.

Upvote 0

Smithi

Apr 18, 2019
Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You really should stop getting all of your opinions about scientific models from random websites, and from unknown individuals. That's not "science", that's just absurd.

Who the heck even put up that random website that you you citing Smithi? Do you even know?

Talbott never proposed anything particularly unique to him personally AFAIK, so I have no idea why you think he could have "founded" any part of EU theory, let alone the whole thing.

I listed a quote from Birkeland's book where it's clear that Birkeland beat Talbott to the concept of electricity in space by quite a few decades.

It is a well known fact that the electric universe, whose forum you use, was founded by Thornhill & Talbott, after they met at some Velikovskian pow-wow or other. How on Earth do you not know this? Lol. Go and look at that godawful website you post on (other than just the forum section). It is pure nonsense. And what Talbott proposed, and Thornhill agrees with, is that Earth used to orbit Saturn! Among other Velikovsky inspired gibberish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Smithi

Apr 18, 2019
Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The ironic part is that you *still* don't seem to know anything about the EU topic, and you're evidently easily "taken in" by just about anything that you read on a random website.

Apparently, I know more about it than you do. It was founded by Velikovskians.

Psst: If you're going to be a decent "skeptic" you should at least make a serious attempt to *correctly understand the basic concepts*, otherwise you just sound ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as you do. Fancy belonging to a cult that believes Earth used to orbit Saturn! That Venus came flying out of Jupiter! That giant lightning bolts from this recent planetary billiards blasted rocks off of planets to become comets! And caused cratering on the Moon, and carved out the Grand Canyon and Valles Marineris to boot!

How would I *possibly* know that? Take your word for it? Forgetaboutit! I haven't seen you present a decent argument yet that involved actual "science" and a real scientific citation.

Am I the one claiming MR is induction (lol!)? That the surface of the Sun is solid? Or that the Sun is a giant cathode? Amongst other.....................stuff.

And Alfven understood MHD theory way better than Martin. Martin doesn't have a Nobel prize in MHD theory does he?

You think? Alfven died 25 years ago. He has not seen the data modern scientists have. He has not seen where MHD is applicable. And where it isn't. He never saw MR demonstrated and observed. He never saw any results from Cluster, THEMIS or MMS. I would say Martin knows far more than Alfven could ever imagine. And that goes for any modern plasma astrophysicist. Alfven is ancient news.

Right, because you don't ever use published scientific material to refute anything, just whatever someone writes on a random website. You therefore have to consult your HQ of disinformation.

What? Have you lost the plot, Michael? Why on Earth would anybody debunk your strange beliefs in the scientific literature? Real scientists have told you that you don't know what you are talking about. That should suffice, given that they understand the relevant science, and you don't.

The sad part is the fact that you think some random website comment, mixed with liberal dose of personal insults, are a valid scientific argument. That is just sad.

Getting worried Michael? It is a valid scientific argument when the person telling you that you haven't got a clue, is a scientist who does. And do not pretend that you have never been told that by real scientists.

Oh yes they are. They even talk about "current sheets" in most instances.

Hahahahahaha! No, Michael, they are not DLs! Please show me the scientist who is claiming that they are. There aren't any. It is another one of your made up facts, due to your ignorance of the relevant science.

You've yet to show me any laboratory experiment that clearly and specifically demonstrates that MR theory is unique and not just ordinary induction by a different name. You're making the extraordinary claim that we need MR to explain events in plasma whereas Alfven claimed that the term was redundant and made obsolete by his double layer paper. That sure seems to be true.

Which part of this do you not understand, Michael? 'It cannot be induction. Induction DOES NOT change the magnetic field topology.' How many times do people need to tell you that before you understand it? Give up, Michael. You do not understand plasma physics. It is rather pathetic to watch. You have no excuse. You have been making the same laughable claim for years, despite being told that you are wrong;

From 2011;

Michael:
Collectively pick ONE (we'll start with only one) paper that relates to LABORATORY experiments (not just computer sims) of MR theory. Show me how it specifically isolated MR processes from ordinary particle collisions, and ordinary induction processes.

Sound familiar, boys and girls?

Reply from Tusenfem (plasma astrophysicist):
The Yamada et al 2010 paper. Start reading Mikey, I doubt that you will understand it, or actually bring something forward.

Look at Fig. 2 of the Gekelman paper, that michaelsuede so conveniently ignored, look at the measured magnetic fields and at the measured flows.

Look at the Runov et al 2003 paper, where the magnetic field and the plasma show exactly what one would expect from reconnection.

There are no other ways to generate the topological differences in the magnetic field, there is no way a double layer can do that, there is no way induction can do that, nor particle collisions (because MRx can happen in a collisionless plasma).

Ah, I can see another 100 page thread, going round and round and round.

International Skeptics Forum - View Single Post - Problems With Magnetic Reconnection

8 years on and Michael still doesn't get it! That is enough time to have got a BSc & PhD in plasma physics!

Upvote 0

Smithi

Apr 18, 2019
Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Translation: You cannot find any errors in his work. Don't sweat it. Martin could not find any specific error in his work either, nor could anyone else at your misinformation HQ.

What on Earth are you talking about? Huh? He was wrong. MR is observed. DLs are not observed. The observed topology change cannot come about by an exploding double layer. Not a single scientist is making any such claim. So, of course he made an error. He said there would be no MR, and there would be DLs. Wrong and wrong.

There's nothing "invisible" about DL's. Which lab paper on MR doesn't isn't preceded by current and/or current sheets?

Oh Michael, do give up. You do not understand the subject. There are no DLs. Show me the paper where DLs are observed to be responsible for MR. You can't. You made it up.

Pfft. You just made another one. :) You *clearly* misrepresented Birkeland's lab simulation of a corona because he absolutely discussed it in his work. Did you even bother to read Birkeland's book yourself before you misrepresented it?

Who cares what Birkeland wrote? He knew nothing about the corona. His thoughts on it are of little to no interest in modern solar physics. Your continued hero worship of Birkeland and Alfven is puke inducing.

In other words, it came from a random unpublished website, but you happen to actually know that guys real name? Is that it? You seem to "nick" a lot of things from random websites that are simply erroneous nonsense. Ever consider getting your material and developing your arguments from real books and real published papers?

No, it came from a physics forum from which you are banned. It is made by a professional plasma physicist. And if you think it is erroneous, then show where you are getting a different interpretation from a plasma physicist who worked in Alfven's lab, met the guy, and did his PhD there on astrophysical double layers. You know nothing in comparison, Michael. Zilch.

So go get Martin to generate a corona simulation in a lab based on MR theory. Then I'll care. Until then I can see with my own eyes that circuit theory is superior to MR theory in the lab.

You have no corona in a lab! Lol. And you haven't got a clue what circuit theory is.

From 2011;

Michael:
Circuit theory explains flares just fine. I don't need you precious "magnetic reconnection" theory to explain a flare!

Sound familiar, boys and girls?

Professional plasma astrophysicist:
NO it does not, you can use a circuit model to calculate the total energy stored in the coronal loop, however there is no way in space that you can actually describe the microphysics of the energy release. That may be totally uninteresting for you, because then you would have to actually deal with real physics, in order to understand what the actual release process is, and you rather look at pictures.

International Skeptics Forum - View Single Post - [Merged] Electric Sun Theory (Split from: CME's, active regions and high energy flares)

Maybe you should find a published rebuttal to one of my papers. Oh wait, you can't find any. Psst: Your misinformation HQ botched the basics of Lerners model something terrible, so I really have no interest in their comments about me. I'm still waiting for the missing mathematical expression of a non-zero rate of "magnetic reconnection" without a single plasma particle to their names. It's been like nine years now, and I'm still waiting. Go ask Martin for it.

Your papers? Hahahaha. Who the hell is going to have seen them? Apart from Tim Thompson, astrophysicist, who trashed them. And Lerner was easily shown to be wrong. That is why he ran away, and you still haven't shown us the energies of the photons in Ben's example using Lerner's woeful description. And I have no idea what you are talking about re MR. Link to it. I'm not psychic. I have no doubt that it is something else that you have completely misunderstood.

Oy Vey. Building a "model" is easy. Building a working *simulation* requires that your model is "correct"

Circuit theory is "correct:

Hahahahahaha! You still think circuit theory is lab experiments! Absolutely unbelievable. And you think you are on a level of understanding that allows you to argue with real scientists? Sad.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
It is a well known fact ....

You have a very bad habit of erroneously trying to pass off your own personal opinions as 'facts', and you have a worse habit of basing those erroneous opinions on random website chatter rather than published papers related to the topic.

that the electric universe, whose forum you use, was founded by Thornhill & Talbott, after they met at some Velikovskian pow-wow or other. How on Earth do you not know this?

Where *exactly* are you getting that erroneous opinion from? That ridiculous website that you listed earlier? Who the heck even put up that particular website? For all I know that particular website was created by you! That's certainly not a published or a peer reviewed source, so your erroneous opinion is anything but a "scientific" opinion, and it's certainly not a historical "fact".

Birkeland proposed an electric universe and an electric solar model before either of those two individuals was even born.

Lol. Go and look at that godawful website you post on (other than just the forum section).

Unlike you, I do not base any of my personal opinions about scientific theories on random materials I read on random unpublished websites. I don't even necessarily personally agree with every idea that is presented on various EU/PC oriented websites that I participate on, and I participate on several of them, including a few on Reddit, so you'll have to be more specific.

It is pure nonsense.

Your opinions of EU/PC theory are pure nonsense because apparently they have nothing to do with with anything you found in published papers or scientific resources, rather they come from random websites and you can't even name the owner of the website, or tell us who even wrote that nonsense. Your opinions are therefore worthless.

And what Talbott proposed, and Thornhill agrees with, is that Earth used to orbit Saturn! Among other Velikovsky inspired gibberish.

Who cares what they personally believe? Neither of those two individuals developed any cosmology model associated with EU/PC theory, nor did they develop any unique solar model. They didn't even write Velikovki's nonsense either, so they certainly didn't 'found' EU/PC theory!

Gah. You just make this up as you go and it all comes from unreliable website material, from unknown authors, not from published references.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Smithi

Apr 18, 2019
Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Wow, you didn't even paraphrase his argument correctly the first time through. When you "nick" ideas from random websites, at least nick them correctly, otherwise you do *everyone* a disservice.

I paraphrased his argument perfectly. Stop making things up. Which part of ' is only valid in the long wavelength approximation' are you failing to understand?

FYI, I'm not using circuit theory for MR, I'm using it, and Alfven's double layer paper to *replace* the need for it *entirely*!

FYI: You haven't got a clue what you are talking about. As you have been told. No DLs. Cannot use circuit theory (or MHD) to model MR. You cannot explain the change of the magnetic field topology. Get back to us when you have written the paper. I may still have access to Dog Breeders Weekly.

Upvote 0

Smithi

Apr 18, 2019
Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
It describes the high energy state *of* the plasma, and the non local factors that influence plasma locally. That's the key problem with MR theory. It essentially tries to ignore all the circuit energy or model moving particles as "magnetic lines', which is why it's still currently incapable of correctly estimating the higher speed processes we observe. Even "fast" reconnection models are not fast enough to explain some observations.

Michael? MR is observed. Remember? Nobody is claiming that it isn't. Remember? You wouldn't know about MR because you do not understand the science. Your thoughts on it are those of an unqualified layman, and are therefore worthless. Show me the scientist who is claiming the observed MR (since '95 in the lab), are not actually MR. Otherwise, why the hell would we care what you think?

You can model some local events pretty well, but you cannot describe all the current flow aspects, and circuit energy aspects of plasma with MHD alone.

You think MHD hasn't evolved since Alfven invented it? You can use Hall MHD. You can also use particle in cell simulations. The last thing you'd do to model these sort of interactions, is to use circuit theory.

Wow, we may actually agree on something. Amazing.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Plasma movement is observed. Magnetic reconnection is a "theory" to explain that movement of charged particles. You haven't shown him to be wrong because his double layer paper explains the very same events. Both the DL model *and* the MR model can be subjectively used to try to explain such events.

Yes, he has been shown to be wrong. How many times? DLs will not produce the change in magnetic field topology that is observed. The DLs are not observed. MR is. Therefore he was dead set wrong. End of story.

Lerner knows more about plasma than you do or I do.

Lol. Gigantic plasmoids pretending to be a black hole in M87! Yep. Lerner is a nobody.

He would *never* do such a thing, nor would Alfven. They use(d) circuit theory and exploding double layers to explain high energy events in plasma.

And were wrong.

Even I would not claim that "MR doesn't occur", I just see no laboratory evidence that it's not just ordinary magnetic flux and ordinary induction by a different name.

That is because you do not know what you are talking about. Induction cannot change the magnetic field topology in the manner observed. Period. Read that a hundred times, and try to understand it. You have been told it enough times.

Which part of "your subjective interpretation of observation does not show him to be wrong" don't you understand? There are *two* possible explanations for the very same observations, and your model is almost (not quite) entirely useless in the lab. It cannot produce a corona, nor an aurora, yet circuit theory has done that for more than a century. What is your problem with MR in the lab?

You have never shown a corona in a lab. Stop making things up. And there are not two possible explanations. How many times? Show me the scientist claiming that MR is not MR. Where are they? It is not induction. It can't be. It is not DLs. It can't be. So what nonsense are you talking about now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Apparently, I know more about it than you do. It was founded by Velikovskians.

Nothing you "know" about it is true because nothing you "know" is even remotely related to a real scientific resource. "Electric Universe" theory was "founded" by Birkeland and his team *decades* before Velkovki wrote anything at all, and decades before Thornhill or Talbott was born. Birkeland first proposed that we live inside of an electric universe, and first proposed that the the sun was electrically interacting with other objects in space. You know absolutely *nothing* about EU. You even misrepresented Birkeland's own statements about his own experiments and how he thought they applied to solar physics!

Not as ridiculous as you do. Fancy belonging to a cult that believes Earth used to orbit Saturn! That Venus came flying out of Jupiter! That giant lightning bolts from this recent planetary billiards blasted rocks off of planets to become comets! And caused cratering on the Moon, and carved out the Grand Canyon and Valles Marineris to boot!

It's a good thing that I don't, and it's highly unethical for you to try to personally associate me with such beliefs. I hold no such beliefs.

Just because I happen to post on the same website as you do doesn't mean that I automatically share your cosmology belief either! Wow, talk about underhanded debate tactics. That is low, not to mention purely irrational.

Am I the one claiming MR is induction (lol!)?

You're claiming it's unrelated to induction. Prove it.

That the surface of the Sun is solid?

The term that we *specifically and intentionally* used in our published papers is "rigid" not "solid". Stop misrepresenting my belief and my published statements. It's not ethical to do that.

Or that the Sun is a giant cathode? Amongst other.....................stuff.

It is a giant cathode with respect to space and cosmic rays from space which are *overwhelmingly* positively charged.

You think? Alfven died 25 years ago. He has not seen the data modern scientists have.

All they have are observations that he was already very well aware of and experiments that require electric circuits to make them work. He read *lots* of papers on MR theory and rejected them all, harshly in fact, and replace them entirely with his double layer paper.

He has not seen where MHD is applicable.

Its not applied anywhere in space now that it wasn't being applied during his lifetime, and he consistently used circuit theory and exploding double layers to explain all those same high energy events including solar flares, and magnetosphere activity.

And where it isn't.

Where is isn't very useful is in the lab where it has failed miserably to simulate a corona or an aurora as was done with circuit theory over a century ago.

He never saw MR demonstrated and observed.

I hasn't been demonstrated or observed. Particle movement has been demonstrated and particle acceleration has been observed. There's nothing particularly new going on today that wasn't going on during his lifetime in terms of the MR models. There *still* aren't any decent 3D models of MR. It's still being modeled in 2D for the most part. Not exactly impressive IMO, and I'm sure he wouldn't be impressed either.

He never saw any results from Cluster, THEMIS or MMS.

It's too bad too because I'm sure he would have written papers explaining those observations based on circuit theory and double layers.

I would say Martin knows far more than Alfven could ever imagine.

I would say you're wrong. Martin has no Nobel in MHD theory even if he outlived Alfven.

And that goes for any modern plasma astrophysicist. Alfven is ancient news.

And yet not a single one of them has managed to simulate something as simple as a corona or an aurora in a lab based on MR theory. MR theory is a century behind "ancient" applications of circuit theory in the lab.

What? Have you lost the plot, Michael? Why on Earth would anybody debunk your strange beliefs in the scientific literature? Real scientists have told you that you don't know what you are talking about. That should suffice, given that they understand the relevant science, and you don't.

Those same scientists can't seem to do with MR what has been easily done with circuit theory for more than a century, and they've spent tens of billions of dollars on their dark matter ideas and failed miserably.

Getting worried Michael?

Me? No. Are you? You can't even do as much in the lab as Birkeland managed to do a century ago. I'd be worried if I were you.

It is a valid scientific argument when the person telling you that you haven't got a clue, is a scientist who does.

Um, no, not unless they *publish* a real paper with their real name attached to it, and show me *exactly* where my error might be. Otherwise it's just another meaningless opinion and those are a dime a dozen.

And do not pretend that you have never been told that by real scientists.

Why would I deny that???? If I was worried about their opinions, I probably wouldn't lack belief in their ideas in the first place. What on Earth makes you think that's a valid scientific argument? Appeals to authority are not a valid scientific argument, particularly when none of their beliefs actually show up or work as well in the lab.

Hahahahahaha! No, Michael, they are not DLs! Please show me the scientist who is claiming that they are.

You mean besides Alfven and Peratt?

There aren't any.

False.
Double Layers in Astrophysics

Which part of this do you not understand, Michael? 'It cannot be induction. Induction DOES NOT change the magnetic field topology.'

A changing magnetic field topology is called "magnetic flux". A charged particle accelerated in a conductor as a result of magnetic flux is called "induction". MR is simply a redundant renaming of the combination of magnetic flux and induction as best as I can tell. In fact, Somov's description of "magnetic reconnection in a vacuum" is physically indistinguishable from magnetic flux in a vacuum, and if you introduce magnetic flux into a conductor, you get induction.

How many times do people need to tell you that before you understand it?

I could care less what they say, I want to see a real experiment that physically demonstrates that there is an actual physical difference between MR and flux/induction. Alfven did say the whole term was redundant, and it looks to me like it's redundant as well. I see no need for that term at all in fact to explain what happens when you introduce a changing magnetic field in *any* conductor, including plasma.

Give up, Michael. You do not understand plasma physics.

Well, I understand it better than you because I've actually read a few textbooks on the topic. I doubt you have actually.

It is rather pathetic to watch.

I think is rather pathetic watching you try to defend a feeble concept that is already more than century behind circuit theory in the lab, and several orders of magnitude short of a valid mathematical model to explain a solar flare. That's downright embarrassing IMO.

You have no excuse. You have been making the same laughable claim for years, despite being told that you are wrong;

And yet here we are, years later, and I've still never seen your misinformation HQ produce their missing math formula to describe a non-zero rate of "magnetic reconnection" in a vacuum without a single charged particle their names, and they *still* can't produce a simple corona in a vacuum based on MR theory. Man, that's just sad, sad, sad.

8 years on and Michael still doesn't get it! That is enough time to have got a BSc & PhD in plasma physics!

It's also plenty long enough to come up with their missing math formula and come up with a simulation of a corona based on MR theory too, but alas nothing has changed. All those PHd's and they can't produce one simple requested math formula they promised, or one simple experiment to demonstrate their model has any useful value in the lab. It's just sad to watch frankly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Smithi

Apr 18, 2019
Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
No, you are projecting again.

Nope. Speaking the truth.

Moving plasma is observed in the lab. MR is a *theory* that attempts to explain it. You've yet to show me any experiment that clearly and physically demonstrates that MR is even a unique process in the first place. As far as I know, it's just a relabeling of the two terms "magnetic flux" and "induction". What's the physical difference? Somov's vacuum example is physically indistinguishable from magnetic flux.

Wrong. Induction is impossible. Only somebody with no idea about the subject would claim such a thing.

You continuously confuse "observation" (of moving plasma) with "interpretation" as to cause. Everywhere that MR is used today was described by Alfven using circuits and double layers.

Trivially false. Alfven's explanation CANNOT REPRODUCE THE OBSERVED CHANGE IN MAGNETIC FIELD TOPOLOGY. How many times?

Same problem. You're confusing observation with interpretation. Alfven used circuits and double layers there too.

Wrong. It is MR. You obviously do not know what DLs are. It is the only explanation I can think of as to why you think DLs could possibly be mistaken for MR. Thankfully, nobody who is scientifically knowledgeable in the relevant area is claiming such a thing. You are on your own.

I really don't think you understand "science" at all even on it's most fundamental level. There are physical "theories" in science, and physical "laws" in science, but even "laws" are subject to change. What you are describing as "fact" isn't fact at all. It's a subjective interpretation of evidence, nothing more. You're completely botching the most rudimentary aspects of science. Subjective interpretations and theories are not "facts", they are simply theoretical explanations for observations. Period.

No, the problem here, Michael, is that you do not understand the science. You have not read the papers, you have not replied to them, and you cannot quote a single scientist who is questioning those interpretations. You opinion is worthless.

Yet nobody seems to be able to simulate even the most basic elements of solar physics like a corona based on MR theory, a full *century* after these things were done with circuit theory, so I see no evidence that Alfven was wrong.

Yawn. You have not got a corona in the lab. Stop making things up. And Alfven is clearly wrong. Which is why not a single scientist is following his erroneous claims about MR. Only you, and you do not understand the science. All you have is a vomit inducing hero worship of long dead scientists.

Lerner is a professional plasma physicist who gets paid to work with plasma. What are your qualifications as it relates to plasma physics?

Lerner doesn't even have a PhD. I'll take real plasma physicists views over his weird, erroneous claims. He is a nobody.

Yawn. You are reduced to personally attacking everyone you disagree with because you don't have the qualifications, and you can't put together a decent scientific rebuttal to any of their work. How sad.

Hahahaha! A rebuttal to a bloke who sees plasma woo in rock art? Who the hell would write that? From memory, such massive aurorae would increase the (Be?) content in ice cores. Is it there? Nah. Rebutted.

No, plasma movement is seen in the lab. MR is a theory to explain such movements.

Wrong. The change in MAGNETIC FIELD TOPOLOGY is seen in the lab, and in-situ. So please stop going on about things you don't understand.

False. There is no such thing as MR "fact".

Yes there is. It seems that you are the only person on the planet who has a problem with it. And your views are worthless, due to you not understanding the subject.

Again, you keep intentionally misrepresenting the difference between "subjective interpretation" and observation.

Nope. The interpretation of experts. As opposed to the interpretation of someone who does not understand the subject.

Repeating the same false claims just makes you look bad. Peratt certainly supports his DL and circuit models.

No he doesn't. Show me where Peratt claims MR is actually DL nonsense.

Not going to listen to your subjective "nick" of my posts, that's for sure. You didn't even "nick" Martin's comments properly, so you sure won't "nick" mine properly either.

Yes I did claim precisely what Martin wrote. Stop making things up.

It's absolutely sad that you cannot support any of your claims with published papers and you're reduced to citing random websites.

No, Michael. I have told you until I am sick to death of it - it cannot be induction. Nobody is going to write a paper saying it is not induction, when NOBODY is claiming that it is. Understand? I referred you to a plasma physicist telling you that it cannot be induction.

Here is the key problem with MR theory in a nutshell:

The thoughts of an unqualified layman are of no interest. Link to the science. MR is seen in solar flares. Tough. There is no other explanation.

Upvote 0

Smithi

Apr 18, 2019
Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Nothing you "know" about it is true because nothing you "know" is even remotely related to a real scientific resource. "Electric Universe" theory was "founded" by Birkeland and his team *decades* before Velkovki wrote anything at all, and decades before Thornhill or Talbott was born. Birkeland first proposed that we live inside of an electric universe, and first proposed that the the sun was electrically interacting with other objects in space. You know absolutely *nothing* about EU. You even misrepresented Birkeland's own statements about his own experiments and how he thought they applied to solar physics!

Wrong. Show me the people supporting an electric universe model in the 40s for instance. Where was it? Not the internet! Magazines? Leaflets? Nope. I base it on what I read in EU 'literature'. You should look around that site that you post on.

It's a good thing that I don't, and it's highly unethical for you to try to personally associate me with such beliefs. I hold no such beliefs.

Good. So you agree that Thornhill and Talbott haven't got a clue? Happy days.

Just because I happen to post on the same website as you do doesn't mean that I automatically share your cosmology belief either! Wow, talk about underhanded debate tactics. That is low, not to mention purely irrational.

You chose to post on a Velikovskian site, not me.

You're claiming it's unrelated to induction. Prove it.

I don't need to. Nobody is making such a stupid claim. Links to papers, please, and I'll deal with it. Induction (I may have mentioned this before) CANNOT CHANGE THE MAGNETIC FIELD TOPOLOGY.

The term that we *specifically and intentionally* used in our published papers is "rigid" not "solid". Stop misrepresent my belief and my published statements. It's not ethical to do that.

Who cares? It is scientifically impossible....................stuff.

It is a giant cathode with respect to space and cosmic rays from space which are *overwhelmingly* positively charged.

Lol. No it isn't, and nobody is claiming such..............................stuff. Nobody qualified, anyway. And what cosmic rays have to do with that is anybody's guess!

All they have are observations that he was already very well aware of and experiments that require electric circuits to make them work. He read *lots* of papers on MR theory and rejected them all, harshly in fact, and replace them entirely with his double layer paper.

Who gives a damn? He was wrong. As proven. End of story. Nobody is claiming he was right. Not a soul.

Upvote 0

Smithi

Apr 18, 2019
Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

Nope, you are being economical with the truth again. How was he aware of the first lab demonstration at PPPL, in '95? The first in-situ detections from Cluster in the early 2000s? From THEMIS later in the decade? From MMS recently? From solar observations recently? Tell me Michael - do you think Carl-Gunne Falthammar owns a ouija board? Do you think he relayed those results to his departewd buddy, Alfie? I think not. What about you, Michael?

Where is isn't very useful is in the lab where it has failed miserably to simulate a corona or an aurora as was done with circuit theory over a century ago.

Lol.

I hasn't been demonstrated or observed.

Yes it has. Read the scientific literature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Smithi

Apr 18, 2019
Dorset
✟18,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
It's too bad too because I'm sure he would have written papers explaining those observations based on circuit theory and double layers.

No, he would not. He wasn't stupid enough to not understand that a DL cannot reproduce the observed CHANGE IN MAGNETIC FIELD TOPOLOGY.

I would say you're wrong. Martin has no Nobel in MHD theory even if he outlived Alfven.

Think what you like. Martin hasn't screwed up MR! Or suggested a matter-antimatter universe! Or claimed that comets not only produce tails, but can form from them!

And yet not a single one of them has managed to simulate something as simple as a corona or an aurora in a lab based on MR theory. MR theory is a century behind "ancient" applications of circuit theory in the lab.

You have never produced a corona in a lab. And you do not even understand what circuit theory is. Hint: lab experiments ARE NOT circuit theory. You total lack of knowledge of this subject is highly amusing!

Those same scientists can't seem to do with MR what has been easily done with circuit theory for more than a century, and they've spent tens of billions of dollars on their dark matter ideas and failed miserably.

Yawn. And you have not a scrap of science.

Me? No. Are you? You can't even do as much in the lab as Birkeland managed to do a century ago. I'd be worried if I were you.

Of an unqualified layman? Why would I be?

Um, no, not unless they *publish* a real paper with their real name attached to it, and show me *exactly* where my error might be. Otherwise it's just another meaningless opinion and those are a dime a dozen.

Pathetic! You really think you merit a real scientist writing a paper to show how much you don't understand about plasma physics? Seriously? What planet are you living on? You have been shown where your errors are. The fact that you can't figure it out is your problem.

What on Earth makes you think that's a valid scientific argument?

Errrm, because they are scientists who understand the subject, and you are not.

You mean besides Alfven and Peratt?

Wrong. Peratt is claiming no such thing. And Alfven couldn't claim it, because we hadn't seen it until after he died.

And where in that is there an observation of DLs causing what everybody now knows as MR?

A changing magnetic field topology is called "magnetic flux". A charged particle accelerated in a conductor as a result of magnetic flux is called "induction". MR is simply a redundant renaming of the combination of magnetic flux and induction as best as I can tell. In fact, Somov's description of "magnetic reconnection in a vacuum" is physically indistinguishable from magnetic flux in a vacuum, and if you introduce magnetic flux into a conductor, you get induction.

Lol. Trivially false. Link to the paper. How many times do you need to be told? Huh? It cannot be induction, and nobody is claiming anything so stupid.

I could care less what they say, I want to see a real experiment that physically demonstrates that there is an actual physical difference between MR and flux/induction. Alfven did say the whole term was redundant, and it looks to me like it's redundant as well. I see no need for that term at all in fact to explain what happens when you introduce a changing magnetic field in *any* conductor, including plasma.

Lol. The musings of somebody who doesn't have clue one about plasma physics! Michael, nobody cares what you want to see. You have no idea what you are talking about. Now, if there were a real scientist claiming that MR was induction (which they wouldn't, otherwise they wouldn't be a real scientist!), we might see a paper to show how stupid their assertion was. However, there is no such scientist. It is just the ludicrous claim of an unqualified layman on the internet. Or the parts of it that he hasn't yet been banned from!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.