Dec 29, 2006
✟426,774.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It looks like the Health Message is taking hold on its own....

"What is plant-based meat? Here's a list of some of TODAY's favorite plant-based meat alternatives that taste, well, like meat!
  • Impossible Burger. ...
  • Beyond Meat Burger.
  • Beyond Sausage.
  • Lightlife Italian Sausage. ...
  • Abbot's Butcher "Chorizo"
  • Before the Butcher UNCUT Breakfast Sausage Patty. ...
  • Tyson's Raised & Rooted "Plant-Based Nuggets" ...
"If it looks like a burger, cooks like a burger and even tastes like a burger, it must be a burger, right? Well, not anymore.

"Burgers," made with plant-based ingredients instead of animal meat, have become a hot item in grocery stores and even fast food chains. The Beyond Burger — which Carl's Jr., the restaurant famous for its particularly meaty dishes with ads starring models, incorporated into its menu — and the Impossible Burger, adapted by Burger King as a new Whopper patty, are two examples of the trendy alternatives out there.

And unlike the fake meats that are often relegated into the vegan section, the newest crop of plant-based options are found in the meat aisle at your local supermarket. That's right, the meat aisle! These companies aren't just making food for vegans and vegetarians — they're coming after meat lovers."Want to try out plant-based meat? Here are our top 10 product picks

• Informative
Reactions: dqhall

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Beyond Burger — Carl's Jr.
The fat content is even higher making this more dangerous then their regular burger. The high fat content in fast food is the leading cause of death. The second leading cause of death is cancer caused by the high level of toxins in our food. They had made some improvement and people were starting to live longer but now the early death rate is starting to increase.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any proof of that or are you just voicing your gut feel here ?
I went on their web site to look at the fat content. 40 for the veggie and 38 for their meat burger. For me I am on a low salt diet so I have to avoid a lot of processed foods because of the high salt content. So I am use to looking them up.

• Useful
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I gather it is more about the quality of the fat rather than quantity though....avoiding processed foods is always a good idea.

Personally I am fine for having new plant based products to replace some of our excess meat consuming habits. I do not see any point of trying to make them some kind of fake meat sounding product.

Vegan ham , Vegan sausage , bah if it is based on soya bean I would not call it ham.

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
How many tens of million diabetics want to eat more carbs?
And how many 100 million fat prediabetics should eat more carbs?
If you know much about diabetes, the best advice so far is less carbs, and more animal proteins and fats.

All plant based carbohydrates turn directly into sugar in the blood. So how healthy is it really for at least half the US population? Not very.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The fat content is even higher making this more dangerous then their regular burger. The high fat content in fast food is the leading cause of death. The second leading cause of death is cancer caused by the high level of toxins in our food. They had made some improvement and people were starting to live longer but now the early death rate is starting to increase.
The fat and cholesterol content of food is a leading cause of heart disease. Nitrite processed meat is a group 1 carcinogen like tobacco and arsenic. Red meat is a group 2 carcinogen. This is not because of fat content.

I read Dr. Dean Ornish about reversing heart disease. Esselstyn and Dr. Michael Greger also wrote about this. Strict low-fat vegan diets are heart healthy.

Faux meat with fat content same as meat would be healthier than meat as it has no cholesterol and is not carcinogenic. Saturated fat is the worse. Too much unsaturated fat is also bad.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,774.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Get it without all the mayo and cheese and other extras and its much better than any meat.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,774.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you know much about diabetes, the best advice so far is less carbs, and more animal proteins and fats.

All plant based carbohydrates turn directly into sugar in the blood. So how healthy is it really for at least half the US population? Not very.
So cancer is better?

"Red meat was classified as Group 2A, probably carcinogenic to humans. What does this mean exactly?

In the case of red meat, the classification is based on limited evidence from epidemiological studies showing positive associations between eating red meat and developing colorectal cancer as well as strong mechanistic evidence.

Limited evidence means that a positive association has been observed between exposure to the agent and cancer but that other explanations for the observations (technically termed chance, bias, or confounding) could not be ruled out.

8. Processed meat was classified as Group 1, carcinogenic to humans. What does this mean?
This category is used when there is sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in humans. In other words, there is convincing evidence that the agent causes cancer. The evaluation is usually based on epidemiological studies showing the development of cancer in exposed humans.

In the case of processed meat, this classification is based on sufficient evidence from epidemiological studies that eating processed meat causes colorectal cancer.

9. Processed meat was classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Tobacco smoking and asbestos are also both classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Does it mean that consumption of processed meat is as carcinogenic as tobacco smoking and asbestos?
No, processed meat has been classified in the same category as causes of cancer such as tobacco smoking and asbestos (IARC Group 1, carcinogenic to humans), but this does NOT mean that they are all equally dangerous. The IARC classifications describe the strength of the scientific evidence about an agent being a cause of cancer, rather than assessing the level of risk." Q&A on the carcinogenicity of the consumption of red meat and processed meat

• Informative
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Atkins Diet is a low carbohydrate diet that was supposed to help people lose weight. A study showed people on the Atkins Diet were 30% more likely to die.

High fat diets have more calories than sugar. A tablespoon of vegetable oil has 100 calories. Recent studies have found fat cells in muscle tissue block insulin and sugar metabolism and are a cause of Type 2 diabetes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We need protein but we can get that from plants. Soy is high in protein as are other lentils and beans. There is healthy fat and unhealthy, so we need to stay with the healthy fats. The government puts a guide on the bottom of the food label.

Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health. These fats can help to: Lower the risk of heart disease and stroke.

313000_eafbcd3fe9c65d7378e9a485a08adac5.png

Attachments

• screenshot-www.google.com-2019.09.10-09_20_20.png
    screenshot-www.google.com-2019.09.10-09_20_20.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
We need protein but we can get that from plants. Soy is high in protein as are other lentils and beans. There is healthy fat and unhealthy, so we need to stay with the healthy fats. The government puts a guide on the bottom of the food label.

Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health. These fats can help to: Lower the risk of heart disease and stroke.

313000_eafbcd3fe9c65d7378e9a485a08adac5.png
So would you force everyone to eat plants with protein? Which also has lots of carbs, diabetics on a low carb diet look to be under 100 carbs per day or less than that.

The whole theory of how people become diabetic is wrong, its not what you eat, because plenty of fat people are not diabetic, it is how your body reacts to bacteria normally present in your body, it is an autoimmune inflammation of body tissues which compromises their functioning. Many diseases are related to inflammation.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Most plant based carbohydrates are actually in the form of fiber, not sugars.
I am sorry that you dont understand this.
Fiber is good, as it does not get digested and turn into sugar, but the reason people eat plants is for their sugar value, and diabetics have a real hard time with high blood sugars which spike lots higher when eating plants versus eating real meats.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry that you dont understand this.
Fiber is good, as it does not get digested and turn into sugar, but the reason people eat plants is for their sugar value, and diabetics have a real hard time with high blood sugars which spike lots higher when eating plants versus eating real meats.
I'm really unsure of what you're talking about. For example: a cup of spinach has 1 gram of carbs, and this 1 gram is fiber. A green pepper has 5, 2 are fiber. Broccoli has 6, 3 are fiber... I don't know of anyone who has said, "I'd really like some sugar, how about a bowl of broccoli!", it's mostly for the vitamins, low calories, and fiber. Of course meat has lower (no) carbs than any other option, but I certainly wouldn't say that vegetables are a bad low-carb option.

So here's an example, a regular whopper at burger king has 54g of carbs, 45 of which are the bun. The "impossible whopper" has 58, 45 of which are the bun. There is hardly a difference in carbs between the meat and non-meat option. The impossible 4oz patty itself has 9 grams of carbs, 3 of which are fiber. I would say it makes more sense to say that diabetics should avoid this because of the bun rather than because of the vegetables.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
I'm really unsure of what you're talking about. For example: a cup of spinach has 1 gram of carbs, and this 1 gram is fiber. A green pepper has 5, 2 are fiber. Broccoli has 6, 3 are fiber... I don't know of anyone who has said, "I'd really like some sugar, how about a bowl of broccoli!", it's mostly for the vitamins, low calories, and fiber. Of course meat has lower (no) carbs than any other option, but I certainly wouldn't say that vegetables are a bad low-carb option.

So here's an example, a regular whopper at burger king has 54g of carbs, 45 of which are the bun. The "impossible whopper" has 58, 45 of which are the bun. There is hardly a difference in carbs between the meat and non-meat option. The impossible 4oz patty itself has 9 grams of carbs, 3 of which are fiber. I would say it makes more sense to say that diabetics should avoid this because of the bun rather than because of the vegetables.
You really dont understand diabetes at all.

Look up low carb diabetic diet. As in do not eat carbs, carbs are only found in plants.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You really dont understand diabetes at all.

Look up low carb diabetic diet. As in do not eat carbs, carbs are only found in plants.
I looked it up. Here is an excerpt from the first source on google:
Most of the calories in a low-carb diet should come from healthful, natural sources, including:
  • vegetables.
  • lean protein, such as eggs, fish, nuts, and tofu.
  • good fats, such as olives or avocados.
  • fruit in moderation.

Upvote 0

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
People who advocate for diabetics to eat more carbs means diabetics are going to have more pain and suffering and die sooner.
Btw I'm not saying diabetics should eat more carbs - they shouldn't. What I'm saying is that vegetables are not the main culprit. If you want to drastically reduce carbs, don't eat bread or pasta. Don't drink sugary drinks. Skip sweet desserts. Don't eat as much fruit. Vegetables are one of the main staples of a low-carb diet.

• Agree
Upvote 0