"Plan Colombia...Plan of Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

strathyboy

Jan 30, 2002
Visit site
✟1,376.00
I recently heard about this article, and it was quite disturbing. I don't know what everybody's feelings are regarding America's "War on Drugs", but I thought this might interest some of you. I had no idea that things were this bad in Colombia.
Go to the link here, http://www.soaw-ne.org/Pccrops.html, since I don't think I can post the pictures on here. It's a bit long, and I apologize, but it's worth reading. I'm interested in your thoughts on this one....

"Plan Colombia ... Plan of Death"
Article and photos by Linda Panetta

Aerial Shots of Fumigated Rainforests
Fumigated Crops
Internally Displaced / Victims of US Foreign Policy...
(Additional photos will be posted soon!!!)
Links Within This Article:
General Montoya

I recently returned from a delegation to Colombia sponsored by the Colombia Support Network. The purpose of this trip was two-fold. First, to better understand and to see first-hand the effects of fumigation in the Putumayo region; second, to bear witness to the violence perpetrated by the Colombian military--of which more than 10,000 soldiers have been trained at the School of the Americas--and the paramilitary forces, which have been responsible for more than 70% of the massacres in Colombia over the past two years. The fumigations are part of the "anti-drug" campaign called "Plan Colombia," which is a multibillion dollar program purportedly developed by the government of Colombia to deal with the many conflicts of its country. To date, the US has pledged $1.3 billion in aid (which will primarily be paid to US weapons and chemical corporations) in the form of military training, helicopters, and fumigation related expenses. Additional funding has already been proposed.

During our time in Colombia, we met with community leaders, including tribal representatives from the indigenous people of the Putumayo region, religious leaders, Colombian officials, military leaders, the director of the UN High Commission on Human Rights, and the US Ambassador to Colombia.

Throughout our meetings and visits to the Putumayo it became vividly evident that due to the indiscriminate nature of the fumigation campaign not only were coca (the raw material of cocaine) crops being targeted, but food crops and medicinal plants were being eradicated, and water supplies were being contaminated. The herbicide, glyphosate (more commonly known as "Round-up"), is produced and manufactured by the US chemical corporation, Monsanto. In Colombia, this herbicide is used in a highly concentrated form and can obliterate a food crop with a single aerial application. The negligence associated with the fumigation campaign has not only had disastrous ecological and health consequences for the region, but it also has significantly increased the expansion of coca crops throughout Colombia.

Paradoxically, as coca was being eradicated in regions such as Peru and Bolivia, there was a nearly instantaneous surge in production and control in Colombia by the newly formed Medellin Cartel. Basic economics, and our own history, tell us that where there is a demand, especially of an illicit drug, there will always be those who find a way of not only providing the product, but of making a tremendous profit on it.

Between 1994 and 1998 approximately 45,500 hectares of coca were cultivated. In an attempt to eradicate these crops, more than 140,800 hectares of (food and coca) fields, and rainforests were fumigated. The US anti-narcotics department cited a mere 15% effective rate against the illicit crop, but repercussions extended well beyond their failure to destroy the coca. Not only did ecological devastation ensue, but the fumigations actually spurred the coca industry in Colombia at a rate of over 100%. By 1999 there were more than 101,000 hectares of coca being cultivated in Colombia. As the US spent millions of dollars collapsing the Medellin Cartel, what emerged was a redistribution of power among drug traffickers in Colombia. To build their ranks, influence, and assets, the paramilitary groups, taking full advantage of the collapse of the cartel, jumped directly into the drug trafficking market. By forging ties and collaborating with other drug traffickers, and receiving the support of the Colombian military, their numbers grew from 4,000 in 1995 to over 8,000 in 2001.

Coca is big business for many players. In addition to the paramilitary forces, who receive the majority of their funding from the coca industry, the various guerilla groups have also greatly profited from marketing coca. But, whereas many of the guerrilla groups work to promote social reforms which benefit the poor and marginalized (80% of the Colombian people live in near or absolute poverty), the paramilitaries support a system controlled by a wealthy minority whose interests are promoted, along with those of US and multinationals, in order to exploit and control the poor and the country's natural resources.

With millions of dollars being generated annually by the drug trade, drug traffickers are able to launder their money by buying up large expanses of territory which were primarily occupied by indigenous groups throughout the Amazon. Some of the resources are diverted to the lumber, cattle and oil industry, while other areas are simply plowed over to give birth to fledgling coca crops. This not only secures the flow of money, but it also serves to expand the network and power of the regional armed forces. Ultimately, it empowers them to intensify the violence against the poor, resulting in thousands of people being tortured, killed and otherwise driven from their land. Annually, approximately 300,000 people are forced to emigrate from their homes because of the violence.

Not only is the coca industry big business for in-country profiteers, it also provides US and multinational corporations the opportunity to make millions of dollars by exploiting the "War on Drugs." For example, of the $27 million spent on the 1994-‘98 eradication campaign, $20 million went directly to Monsanto. And because the campaign was so ineffective--the U.S. blamed the problem on the excessive rains in the regions--increased applications of glyphosate were introduced. Additionally, new research emerged into a more effective solution, such as biological agents (for example--a mutating fungus), which would have greater adherence to the vegetation. The effects of this new agent could potentially have a catastrophic impact on the overall ecology of the rainforests -- aquatic life, animals, and the people--who are already being bombarded with chemical toxins on a continuous basis. The ultimate result of the failed eradication campaign: a $1.3 billion aid package to Colombia, of which it is estimated, 70% will remain in the hands of US weapons and chemical corporations, as well as the US military. A mere 1% is earmarked for the peace process.

Corporations such as United Tech and Sikorsky will receive millions from the sale of Hueys and Blackhawk helicopters. Other companies, such as Rockwell will benefit from the sale of surveillance systems, and MPRI will send their mercenaries--the list goes on. These corporations, in collaboration with the US military, are vying to wage a biological and civilian-targeted warfare which will bring Colombia to its knees. They will continue bullying them into abject adversity until they scream out "Uncle." And there Sam will be to further exploit and decimate the people and the natural resources until, like so many other countries, there is no hope of restoring a balance--of acquiring peace.

A 1997 Pentagon document stated that the purpose of the US military is "to protect US interests and investments." A hidden agenda of US involvement in the "drug war" is acquiring and maintaining control of the plethora of resources in Colombia, such as gold, silver and copper, as well as the great expanses of oil (potentially over 260 billion barrels are in reserve). And as this pillage and uncontrolled rape of the land continues, Colombia, which has the greatest diversity of animal life in the world, is now losing both plant and animal species (to the point of extinction) at a calamitous rate.

As soon as I arrived in the Putumayo I was quickly taken aback by an eerie presence around me. It didn't stem from the numerous bunkers that I saw, or the stares we received from the countless armed soldiers who stood guard. No, probably the most haunting sound that I heard from the Putumayo--this majestic Amazon region which borders Peru and Ecuador--was the silence. There were certainly stray dogs roaming the streets, and horses pulling carts, but aside from these, the only animals I saw were a dead ox laying in a ravine, and two lone monkeys poised in a tree that bore little vegetation. In fact, the only place I saw birds flying overhead was at a military airstrip, while we awaited the arrival of our helicopter.

...to be continued....

strathyboy

Jan 30, 2002
Visit site
✟1,376.00
...continued from above...

Off in the distance--as I tried to focus in on a bird perched on a cable overhead--were 4 planes flying in formation. As the planes shot through a set of clouds someone yelled out "those are the fumigation planes!" When I glanced back to look at the bird, it was gone. At that moment I pondered how many birds will take flight that day only to be doused in toxic chemicals, how many children will unwittingly be sprayed while playing in fields, how many mothers will bathe their infants with noxious water, and how many campesinos will go to harvest their food crops to find them in ruins.

Children are developing respiratory ailments at an alarming rate. Visual problems among the campesinos and indigenous people are escalating, and some showed us lesions on their skin which were the result of direct exposure to the fumigations. Dr. Francisco Jose Ruiz, who works for the Colombian Environmental Ministry overseeing the impact of public spending on the fumigations, stated that to date there had not been any research into the relationship of the fumigations and the developing health afflictions. "It is outright negligence," states Ruiz.

It is not surprising that the lessons learned in the US about the use of DDT and other environmental toxins have not spilled over into the production, research, manufacturing, or distribution of glyphosate. In fact, it was Monsanto who, in response to Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring (which first drew people's attention to the effects of DDT) published "The Desolate Year"-- a parody about a DDT-free USA being overrun by a plague of locusts. During the Vietnam War, Monsanto also produced Agent Orange for the US Air Force. Just as in Colombia, the deadly weed killer was dropped on jungles and farms to kill trees and crops. Since then, 500,000 babies have been born in Vietnam with Dioxin deformities and $180 million has been paid in compensation to US war veterans disabled by the poison. As in Vietnam, these fumigations are, in fact, biological warfare.During a meeting with Dr. Gonzalo de Francisco, who heads the fumigation campaign in Colombia, we expressed our concerns about the grave health problems that the farmers and indigenous people in the Putumayo are enduring because of the fumigations. De Francisco brushed aside our concerns and instead placed the blame on the ignorance of the farmers. He implied that the health problems most likely stemmed from the mishandling of pesticides which the farmers apply to their own crops. This condescending and presumptive statement by de Francisco offers little explanation as to why the indigenous people and their children, who have never directly handled or knowingly have had contact with pesticides, have the same ailments as the farmers.

In La Hormiga, a small city in the Putumayo region, we viewed the effects of glyphosate on food crops. The fumigations had killed subsistence crops such as yucca, corn and banana, while adjacent coca fields not only survived, but flourished. Even the rubber trees of a state-sponsored alternative crop program were not spared. After 5 years of nurturing, the trees, along with multiple food crops, were destroyed by the fumigations. Unlike most vegetation in this region, the coca plant is quite resilient. Like a weed, it is able to grow under even the most extreme conditions.

Near the conclusion of our meeting with de Francisco, we handed him pages of data that were given to us by community leaders in the Putumayo. This data documents over 1,000 hectares of subsistence crops that had been decimated and hundreds of animals, primarily livestock, that had been killed by the fumigations. Once again de Francisco attempted to sweep aside our reports, stating that he had heard of such stories but believed that they were greatly exaggerated. But this time I confronted him with actual video footage that I had taken from the Putumayo region. The video clearly revealed the extent of the devastation to the food crops. The more he viewed the footage the more the truth was revealed before his own eyes, and the less he could argue the points he had begun to make. Obviously taken aback by what I had shown him, he assured us that he would look more seriously into the situation.

...more to come...

Upvote 0

strathyboy

Jan 30, 2002
Visit site
✟1,376.00
...continued...

The Paramilitary:
Many people with whom we met had horror stories to tell about abductions, tortures and massacres by the paramilitaries. One woman lost four of her brothers after they were targeted and killed by paramilitary forces. I was also shown photos of a murderous rampage committed by the paramilitary in which bodies were mutilated: faces were mauled; heads decapitated; torsos were cut in two.

Over the past two years the paramilitary forces have been responsible for more than 70% of the massacres in Colombia. The number of victims by paramilitaries rose from 30 in 1997 to over 500 (as compared to 164 killed by the guerillas) in 2000 (including 75 massacre). Over and over again it was confirmed by the people in the Putumayo that the military and paramilitary are a unified force, and both act with 100 percent impunity. During a meeting with Dr. Alfonso Gomez Mendez, the Attorney General of Colombia, he expressed his complete frustration with Colombia's justice system. To date, he has issued more than 40 warrants for the arrest of Carlos Castano, the head of the paramilitary forces. Gomez stated that he has little faith that Castano will ever be brought to justice. We later confronted General Fernando Tapias, the commander in charge of all military forces in Colombia, and asked him why Castano had not yet been apprehended. Tapias stated that Castano is illusive, difficult to track, and is supported by his own militant army. Despite this statement, he also acknowledged that he knew exactly where Castano lives.

While I was in the Putumayo (the focal point of Plan Colombia), it was arranged that we would be given an aerial view of the region in a military helicopter. General Montoya, a former instructor and graduate of the SOA, was flown in to serve as our guide. Montoya, the commander of the 24th Brigade, is responsible for all military activities in the Putumayo region. The 24th Brigade is infamous for human rights abuses, and upon my return to the U.S. I learned that Montoya was cited (in Terrorismo De Estado En Colombia, 1992) as having direct ties with the paramilitary known as "AAA." During a meeting with Ann Patterson, the US Ambassador to Colombia, she stated that the 24th Brigade was not entitled to receive funding through Plan Colombia because of the human rights abuses associated with the Brigade. She further insisted, ironically with absolute certainty, that neither money nor weapons would make their way to this Brigade, despite the fact that Montoya is in charge of all military forces in the Putumayo region.

The 2000 "Human Rights Watch" report cites numerous SOA graduates with direct links to paramilitaries. In fact, SOA-trained officers, who head four Colombian military brigades, including an "intelligence" unit, were responsible for numerous atrocities in 1997-1999. Many murderous rampages under their command were conducted in association with paramilitaries whose tactics often included torture and the dismemberment of bodies. Colombia is a country riddled with violence, human rights abuses, and drug trafficking, yet it has sent twice as many soldiers to be trained at the SOA than any other Latin American country.

As stated earlier, the paramilitary depend on the drug trade--they support it and extend its power. Because of this, they have created an agrarian counter-reform which has had serious consequences on the social character of Colombia -- especially for the indigenous populations. As the coca crops overtake the region, the rainforests are being decimated at a staggering rate. The medicinal plants that the indigenous people rely on are being eradicated by both the introduction of the coca crops as well as the fumigations aimed at destroying them. In addition, the indigenous, which were once the majority of the population in regions such as the Putumayo, are now overwhelmingly the minority. And those who have immigrated to the region see the coca as a valuable source of cheap income. Three generations of farmers have now worked the coca fields; for some, it is the only way of life they know. This is one of the reasons why the paramilitary is gaining strength--the farmers don't want to lose the cheap income. It is one of the few crops that can be harvested 4 times annually, which guarantees a continual source of income. Therefore, when a coca crop is destroyed by the fumigations, the growers simply cut down additional plots of rainforest (at a 1:2 ratio) to maintain their yields.

The paramilitary act by using terror against any individuals and communities who have not expressed their support for them. They deem all, whether an active, passive, or presumed supporter of a guerrilla group as an enemy to be destroyed. The paramilitary use selective killings as well as indiscriminate massacres to elicit absolute terror in the civilian population.

...almost done :) ...

Upvote 0

strathyboy

Jan 30, 2002
Visit site
✟1,376.00
...last one...

Ultimately, the motive of the paramilitary groups is to "cleanse" the region, especially of the indigenous population, by provoking a mass migration to other areas. They then re-inhabit the deserted areas with those who they trust from other regions, who act as a chain of informants for the paramilitary. Once they are established, they extort the population in order to cover their "security" services. Failure to pay is a death sentence since it implies collaboration with the guerrillas.

The paramilitary groups have developed into a centralized coordinating team to "combat subversion." They are called the "United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia," with Carlos Castano as their leader. The paramilitary coordinating body aims to become a nationwide anti-rebel movement which will be given political recognition by the state and the people in the negotiation process with the guerilla groups. They use this to conceal the criminal nature of their actions under the false ideal of building a national political alternative.

Not surprisingly, the focal point of Plan Colombia and the fumigations are not areas were the paramilitary have a stronghold; rather, they are regions where the guerillas occupy and maintain control. The initiative of the United States government, to give Colombia over one billion dollars, is not to fight the "War on Drugs." Instead it is to secure the interests of US and multinational corporations and their investments. To maintain this they have forged ties with, supported, and propagated bloodletting proponents. With the support of the US, the paramilitaries act with complete impunity and without any regard for human life. By overriding the human rights clause in Plan Colombia and having complete disregard for the well-being of the Colombian people, President Clinton -- and now President Bush -- is an accomplice to not only murder, but to genocide.

Education in the US is essential--especially for our members of Congress. They have to understand the implications of the fumigations, taking into consideration the socioeconomic effects as well as the degree of ecological and human violence that is occurring.

How can the US government justify sending $1.3 billion dollars of US taxpayer money into one of the most corrupt and violent countries in the world? The "drug war" took the place of "communism" as the new boogie-man. No one in Colombia is fooled by the incentives of the US government--through ongoing outreach, soon the deception in the US will also be made transparent. Time and time again, from the grassroots level, to senior-level government officials in Colombia, it was made clear that the fumigations are being imposed by the US. The drug problem is not Colombia's problem, it's a US demand-side problem and should be addressed as such.

No matter how many hectares of coca are killed by the fumigations additional hectares (at minimally a 2 fold ratio) of rainforests will be cut down to keep the supply moving. And in the end, once all the forests have been decimated--the medicinal plants eradicated, and all the indigenous peoples have been killed off or forced from their land--what will be left...? Only the barren soil; from which the oil companies will have free range to finalize their annihilation of the Amazon. One indigenous tribal leader stated: "We are used to being exploited and attacked [by the US], but now they are killing themselves by taking away the lungs of the world." Another made the appeal: "We beg you, be our voices...we are not only being displaced, we are being exterminated."

Part of the solution, and one which is supported by not only the peasants, but also the Colombian Vice President (Gustavo Bell), is to manually eradicate the coca crops. It is estimated that 1 worker in 10 days can manually pull up one hectare of coca. Even those currently growing the coca advocate for this program--as long as they can make a sustainable wage for themselves and their families. Unfortunately, the program that was developed pays a farmer a mere $1,000 annually, and allows only one year to not only eradicate the coca, but to produce an alternative crop. It is ridiculous to think that this can actually be achieved. Greater funding, time and technical assistance are necessary for this plan to succeed.

Despite the fact that the coca plant flourishes in the rainforests, this region is not well suited for most crops. The soil is predominately made up of clay, with a thin organic layer which is dependent on a canopy to provide a continuous recycling of organic material. Without the canopy, there are no nutrients to replenish and sustain a soil. Additionally, when the heavy rains fall they are no longer intercepted by a dense forest canopy. The nutrient layer becomes further eroded and the cycle of life continually diminished. Therefore, in order to help maintain the integrity of the region, it is vital to incorporate and support sustainable agricultural systems.

Continued pressure needs to be applied to promote manual eradication and alternative crop development. One of the impediments to this initiatives is that the US insists that they will not support alternative programs until the Colombian government has full control of the largest rebel group (FARC). To date, FARC refuses to complete a peace pact until the government disbands the paramilitary. But the paramilitary are only growing in size and power. With no end in sight, opposition in the US, Colombia and in other countries is growing rapidly. Colombia is not becoming another El Salvador or Vietnam... it has already become "Plan Colombia."

Plan Colombia is destroying the Amazon, the very "lungs" of the world. It has had a devastating effect upon the poorest people of the region, the peasants and the indigenous population. Please contact your member of Congress and advocate using the $1.3 billion earmarked for "Plan Colombia"on restoring the ecology of the rainforest, and for social development and sustainable agricultural programs which will enrich, not destroy the Putumayo region.

Thanks for reading.

Upvote 0

BK_30

secret agent:licensed to witness
Man that's a long article! but it doesn't say anything that the American people dont' already know. It has new or more facts, but the general knowledge is already out there. Many Americans oppose our goverments actions in South America and are fighting to try and help save the same said rainforest. Americans are not blind to the mistakes and wrong doings of our government...but we love our country none the less and even for her evils would not want to be anywhere else...we fight the injustices where we find them and in the 200 some odd years we have been around I think our good out ways our bad, just like in most people....don't you. What better example of a country for the people, by the people...than one that when examined closely reflects the nature of its people good and bad?

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
strathyboy,

You are taking your anti-American rhetoric too far, and in the wrong forum. If you want to really get into political slams against the U.S., I challenge you to start posting your garbage at Political Discussion. I await seeing your anti-American posts there. This is a Christian Discussion forum, and this behavior of your's is quite dubious. If you continue in this mode, I have nothing further to discuss with you.

Enough already!

Regards,
John

Upvote 0

BK_30

secret agent:licensed to witness
Bear I think I disagree with you on this one....only in this way. I do not like a lot of what Strathboy has to say, but this is a place to discuss and debate current events among christians, just because we do not like what he says or do not agree, doesn't mean he can't post it here or even that it doesn't belong. You have the right to disagree with him as long as we remember that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, and treat each other with respect and love...no problems.

Actually I thank God that Strathboy is here...my husband is not a christian and I can not discuss a lot of things with him...how ever he and strath see eye to eye on somethings and if it gets him to come to this board and read some different opinions then I for one very happy!!!

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
BK_30,

All I can say, is that God has recently touched my heart about the fact that my focus has gotten a little off the mark in this forum. Instead of sharing and fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ, I find myself constantly on the defense of my country. For me, this has gotten to be spiritualy fruitless. If you care to continue in this endevor, by all means have at it. I am through with spending all my energy cleaning up all the political mud-slinging.

John

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.