Dec 13, 2012
✟15,142.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Hello everyone. Though I was born a Christian, I have only returned to Christ recently, so that's why I thought I would post here.

My problem is that though I have accepted Christ, I'm still plagued by doubts of the existence of God. I go to atheist websites and read their arguments, and their arguments do make sense to me - I can't deny that. But I WANT to believe in God because it makes me happy to think that there is a God. I don't know what to do. There is also the problem that my father is an atheist, and doesn't like the idea that I'm becoming religious.

Is there any good apolegetic websites anyone could direct me to? I just really need guidance :( .

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Moonseeker, you need to be a Christ seeker. No one can be saved and find favor with God by being religious and just believing about Jesus and God. It is all about a personal relationship with the Savior --the Lord Jesus Christ, who suffered and died for our sins, so we would not have to. If one receives Him into their heart He will come and that one will be eternally saved. Look up always!

Upvote 0

Bookyluv

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
✟7,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One thing I think you need to do is stay away from anything that will make you doubt until your faith is restored. Remember that even Satan knows the words and how to manipulate it to bring confusion. Everything I see posted is great advice. If I could add anything that would be to find time daily to read and pray. Even if it's just listing to some worship music and letting God work. Even the love in a marriage will become doubtful if there's no time spent with each other or effort for growth.

God Bless,
Jerry Carroll
ChristianTalkSpot Dot Com

P.S.
I will be praying for revelation for you.

Upvote 0

Spunkn

Jan 19, 2013
Nebraska
✟19,890.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Answers in Genesis is a wonderful site for apologetics imo.

Also look up Ravi Zacharias. He is an extremely talented speaker although he can be a bit complicated at times. Sometimes you have to listen to what he says a few times to full grasp what he is saying.

Chip Ingram has something very good stuff as well.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear moonseeker. In Matthews 22, verses 35-40, Jesus tells a Lawyer:
" The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus points out: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God wants our Love, for God and for our neighbour.
That is straightforward and easy to remember. We start treating all we know and all we meet, as we would love to be treated: with kindness and always
friendly words. God will see our efforts, and God will bless us. And God will know that we Love God, because we follow God`s Commandments to Love and Care.
Jesus will give us His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will empower us with His Love, also. Jesus told us to: " ask and ye will receive," then we thank God
and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour. ( Matthew 7: 7-8) We keep asking God and thanking God, then sharing all Love and Joy with our neighbour. Jesus our Saviour will help and guide us, JESUS IS THE WAY.
We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and
carry on Loving and Caring. Love is a Christian`s strong weapon, and Love also changes men and women, we will find that people treat us the same, and life will become good and interesting. God our Heavenly Father wants
Loving children/sons and daughters.
While Jesus was with us on Earth, He told us: " be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in Heaven is perfect." (Matthew 5: 48) Keep Loving God and our neighbour, and God will be with you all the way.
I say this with love, moonseeker. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2012
✟15,228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This message has touched my heart when I found it on the Web-

To My Precious Child:
The Message From The LORD
Because I knew even before I created the earth that you would accept My love for you, and that you would seek to know Me thus…
In the beginning I created the heavens and the earth.
Then at the right time and in the right place I created you.
I created your inner most being, I created every part of you, I knit you together in your mother's womb.
You were carefully and wonderfully made; my works are wonderful, and you are my work.
My eyes saw your unformed body.
All the days planned for you were written in my book before one of them came to be.
How precious are my thoughts for you, How great is the number of them!
If you were to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand.

Listen to me; I created you and have cared for you since before you were born.
I will be your God throughout your lifetime, until your hair is white with age.
I made you, and I will care for you.
I will carry you along and save you. I will carry you in my arms, holding you close to my heart.
For I know the plans that I have for you plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

There are some times of suffering in your life.
But the temporary suffering of this life does not compare to the glory that shall be revealed in you.

Know this that I am with you and I will help you.
Your help comes from me, I am the God who created the heavens and the earth, and the one who created you.
I will never leave you, I will never reject you.
When your parents fail you I will pick you up, hold you close, and adopt you.
Nothing can ever separate you from my love for you.
When you are in trouble and distress my love is with you.
When you are persecuted my love is with you.
When you are hungry and cold and naked my love is with you, I am always with you.
When you are in danger and threatened with death my love is with you, I will be with you forever.

Know that nothing can separate you from my love, no matter how high you go, no matter how deep you sink,
nothing in life and not even death can separate you from Me, and My love for you.
No demon or any other power in hell can separate you from my love.
My love for you is revealed through Christ Jesus your Lord.
In all things and every situation you will have victory, you will conquer, because the victory of Christ Jesus is your victory.

But now, I the LORD, who created you and formed you, says:
Do not be afraid, for I have purchased you. I have called you by name; you are mine.
When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty, they will not over flow you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned.
I command you to be strong and courageous!
Do not be afraid; do not be dismayed, for I, the LORD your God will be with you everywhere you go.

Everything will work together for your good, because you love me.
You have been called according to my purpose.
For I knew you before you were born and I predestined you to be conformed to the likeness of my Son, Jesus Christ.
This is your destiny, and this is your purpose, that you become one with my Son Jesus, and thus one with me.
I created you in my image so that you and I can express love to each other.
The most intimate relationship you can have is with me because you and I are becoming one.
You and your brothers and sisters that believe in me are becoming one with Jesus, and thus one with me.
You in me, and me in you, together, unified by my love for you.
You were designed for this purpose, nothing else will ever satisfy your deepest needs, your deepest desires, only I can.
Because you seek to know me I satisfy your heart with love, joy, and peace that only I can give you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

moonseeker

Dec 13, 2012
✟15,142.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Thank you for the replies, everyone. They all gave me something to think about.

I suppose my biggest problem with the existence of God is the problem of evil. Why would God allow evil to occur? I know about the free will argument, but say if a man murdered a child. It was the man's free will to kill the child, but it wasn't the free will of the child to be killed. Why would God allow for the free will of the man override the free will of the child?

Upvote 0

Spunkn

Jan 19, 2013
Nebraska
✟19,890.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First I will reccommend highly this site

Root - Answers in Genesis

They are much more educated than I am and have some fantastic ways of explaining things.

I was talking about this with a friend last night, about how we would respond to that very question. And I will try. I am by no means an expert, but I believe I have a simple grasp of some things about it. Certainly not all of it.

To truly understand why there is evil in the world and why God allows it we need to go back to Genesis. God created the universe. God created the world. He created man and woman in His image. Everything was good. Not just good, very good. Everything was perfect, there was no sin. There was only one thing Adam and Eve were suppose to do, not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Essentially God was saying you have a choice. Obey me or disobey me (by eating from the tree). When they ate from the tree it was an act of obedience. But it was more than that. It was saying "We know better than you God, because the tree will allow us to know good and evil, we will become Gods ourselves."

Thus sin entered the world. Sin is the consequence of disobeying God. Because of His holy nature sin cannot be in the presence of God. Because of His just nature there is a punishment for sin, and that is death and eternal damnation in a place without God.

From that moment when sin entered, things began to break down and decay. God originally intended for things to be upheld and last eternally, but with sin we now have death, disease, decay. Humans now "grew old". A person starts dying from the moment they are born in a way.

God could have just said "you messed up" and just started over. But He didn't. He chose to clothe them when they were naked and ashamed. And even though they were punished, in Gensis 3:15 it is called the protoevangelion, or God is referring to the time when Christ will come and pay for our sins.

We all have inherited the sin nature from Adam and Even since we were born. You may think this is unfair, but think back to what happened and be honest with yourself. If you were Adam and Eve, would you really have done anything differently? Think of a choice you've made where it was clear what was right and what was wrong, but yet you went against God anyway. That is essentially the choice Adam and Eve made, none us of would have done any better.

Because God loves us, He made a plan (if you want to get deep into it, it was always His plan, but that's another discussion probably) to redeem us and make a way for the punishment of sin to be paid without us having to spend an eternity in hell. That way is through Jesus Christ.

People look at bad things happening and say "How could a loving God send an innocent person to hell?" But the truth is that is speaking from a human perspective. We are not innocent. We are sinners. We deserve eternal punishment because we've chosen to disobey God. It is only through God's mercy that He witholds judgement as long as He does, and there will come a day when judgement is no longer witheld. But for now, he chooses to withold it till the right time.

We think of love as being something related to the pain we are going through "right now". The pain of a loved one experiencing suffering relates to you right now. At this time. But God does not look at things in the same way we do. I have a list from one of my former pastors of 42 reasons God uses pain and suffering. While God did not choose to allow evil to come into this world, that was our fault as human beings, God can still choose to work through evil and for His glory. In God's eyes the loving thing to do is not let get rid of our pain, but help use it to draw closer to Him. Because that is His ultimate goal, that we should have a personal relationship with him. The long term benefit of having a relationship with Jesus Christ and your eternal salvation far outweighs the negatives of pain and suffering in God's eyes.

Say a man does kill a child. The family is devasted, unable to cope with the loss. A Christian friend who has lost a child comes to them and gives them hope because they too have lost a child and know the pain it brings but they found healing in Christ. (This is incredibly simplified but I'm just trying to make a point). They later come to accept Jesus as their savior. Was the child's death evil? Perhaps the child was saved before he died. It may have been evil in which the child was murdered, or the way in which the Christian friend's child died. But even through that evil, God can still work to good.

As far as children go, and especially abortions I don't have a clear answer. It talks in the bible about children having guardian angels, and God is watching over them. My personal answer would be that aborted babies go to heaven, unless God somehow gives them a chance to believe in Him (that would be hard to argue, I dont know). God has said though that everyone will have had a chance to believe in Him before going to hell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Spunkn

Jan 19, 2013
Nebraska
✟19,890.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hope some of that helps. We will never fully understand the things God does. And many times we just have to trust that God is in control. But ultimately the reason for pain and suffering is sin. But "evil" if we are to call it that, can still be used by God and for His glory.

On a personal note, I questioned for years why I was allowed to suffer and experience terrible agony of not wanting to live. I realize now many years later, part of the reason (not all of it, some of it I inherited from my family) was to help me sympathize more with people who are suffering from depression. Since I have experienced it, I can better relate to what people are going through. If my suffering and pain helps someone else through the pain they are going through, then my suffering becomes less "evil" to me. That is not the only reason for it though, only part of it. Just trying to give that example as an encouragement to others.

Upvote 0

Spunkn

Jan 19, 2013
Nebraska
✟19,890.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Never be afraid to ask questions about your faith. God does not get angry when you ask questions like "Why does God do this?" "Why is this in the Bible?" Things of that nature. In fact I think He delights in it (if you are truly looking for Him) because that shows you want to get to know Him more, to understand Him. We are told to have a reason for our beliefs. God wants us to seek out answers to the questions we have, and that is part of the journey you take as a Christian. You will never have all the answers, but there are some things out there with definate answers.

You may be accused of "questioning God" at times, but we all do that in some ways. I'm not saying there isn't a place for faith, because faith is one of the most important things we have. But there are also answers that we can know to some of the questions we have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All Christians face doubt sometimes... it's actually a kind of temptation. Things we see in the world can tempt us into drinking too much, gambling, sexual sin, etc. But as you have seen, the world can also "tempt" us into doubt (like those atheist sites).

We have to remember that they are all rooted in one primary lie: that worldly pleasures can bring joy, happiness, and contentment. The lie is that they only bring pleasure for a short time, then we are left wanting more. So we chase and think, "if only I...[whatever]... then I'd be happy!" The Bible tells us that it's like chasing the wind. We'll never get there. That's why you see so many rich and famous people self-destructing into drugs and depression.

My suggestion would be to read from a good Study Bible and maybe some online devotions. The more we learn God's word, the more it comes together... and we get true joy. Life still has ups and downs, but scripture can help to provide an anchor.

Upvote 0

mandelduke

Oct 17, 2010
Choctaw Ms
✟8,881.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello everyone. Though I was born a Christian, I have only returned to Christ recently, so that's why I thought I would post here.

My problem is that though I have accepted Christ, I'm still plagued by doubts of the existence of God. I go to atheist websites and read their arguments, and their arguments do make sense to me - I can't deny that. But I WANT to believe in God because it makes me happy to think that there is a God. I don't know what to do. There is also the problem that my father is an atheist, and doesn't like the idea that I'm becoming religious.

Is there any good apolegetic websites anyone could direct me to? I just really need guidance :( .
Of course, atheist websites and their arguments make sense to you; Satan is the father of lies! If you think, you can spend most of your time in worldly things and have faith you do not understand how the mind works. I am so close to the Lord I do not even see it as faith, I know God. Nevertheless, even I watch what I listen to very carefully. Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. That is my best advice to you, get to know God build a relationship with him.

Upvote 0

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, moonseeker,
you need to take a break from reading the atheists' websites and start reading the bible. You also need to start praying to God to grant you more faith to believe in Him.

Visit Christian Answers Network

This website contains some answers to difficult questions. Spend your time on this website and it will help increases your faith.

Upvote 0