Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a few months I have been placing gospel tracts into customers bags at a part time job I work at. I had a hunch that it probably wasn't best time to be doing it since I was on the clock. Has anybody else done something like this?
I put tracts up on public bulletin boards at work. These boards hosted all type of employee to employee communications (items for sale, event announcements, requests for ride-sharing, etc). I did this until work management dictated that only work-related notices be posted.

My thinking is that you run the risk of offending a customer, who will then complain to management. You probably know better than I what management's response will be. If you think that they might fire you, you might do well to find another distribution avenue.

I also placed tracts on public bulletin boards at nearby public universities. Something else you could do is to include a tract with any mailings ... say to pay bills, etc. I've always chosen to have my checks printed with a helpful bible verse. I've also mailed tracts to households within various local neighborhoods.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RJ Howard

Growing with God
Sep 5, 2021
Saint Paul
Visit site
✟36,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One thing I'm ashamed of now is that today I passed by one of my supervisors in an aisle at the store and she asked if I put in "religious stuff" in a customer's bag. I denied it, but that was my first instinct. It's probably not the best place to give out gospel tract when you're on the clock. I have posted them in bulletin boards at cafes to and I've even given some to homeless people that I've encountered on street corners along with a $5 bill. But lying is never a good thing and I just had to confess that sin to God. It actually made me think of Peter when he denied Jesus three times.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
For a few months I have been placing gospel tracts into customers bags at a part time job I work at. I had a hunch that it probably wasn't best time to be doing it since I was on the clock. Has anybody else done something like this?
"Wise as serpents, innocent as doves......" It's a good question. If no one complains, maybe it is ok. If they do complain, cut it out without a word of argument. Most workplaces have to give a warning before they fire you.

Upvote 0

Waymarker

May 5, 2009
✟19,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Problem is, if your bosses allowed you to put christian tracts in bags, other employees might demand the same right to put Islamic, Hindu, Satanist etc tracts in too.
In your place I'd probably just wear a crucifix round my neck to let customers know you're a christian..:)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I haven't. However, doing so opens the employer up for lawsuits since it was in the bag provided by the company.

The bag belongs to the employer, not you, so it is not your responsibility to gospel it. You can do the "rather listen to god than men" thing, but get ready to be fired if it is not corporate policy to insert the tracts into the bags.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I haven't. However, doing so opens the employer up for lawsuits since it was in the bag provided by the company.

The bag belongs to the employer, not you, so it is not your responsibility to gospel it. You can do the "rather listen to god than men" thing, but get ready to be fired if it is not corporate policy to insert the tracts into the bags.

"Gospel it" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Firstly, God bless you for your commitment. I dont have an answer for you unfortunately. i will pray for you over it, though.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Honestly if it's not your business then you would need permission to do such a thing, since your tracks will reflect on the owner and management in the eyes of the customers. There's certainly no harm in asking for permission though, the worst that can happen is that they'll say no. However if they do say no then as an employee you have to honor their wishes.

It's best if your a sacker to simply smile at people and say "God bless you and I hope to see you again soon" as they leave... do things like tracks where it only reflects upon yourself...

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a sticky area. At work, in general, policies are a matter of personal space. If, for example, you keep a Bible or gospel tracts at your own desk, locker, briefcase, backpack, or any other place that is designated for you, this is fine. But if you were to place something, anything, in another person's desk, locker, etc, it's frowned on because now you're intruding on their personal space. It seems to me this would apply to clientele as well as coworkers. Placing tracts in their bags without their consent is probably not the best approach. Probably better to keep a stack of them in your own personal space and then ask people if they want one.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing I'm ashamed of now is that today I passed by one of my supervisors in an aisle at the store and she asked if I put in "religious stuff" in a customer's bag. I denied it, but that was my first instinct. It's probably not the best place to give out gospel tract when you're on the clock. I have posted them in bulletin boards at cafes to and I've even given some to homeless people that I've encountered on street corners along with a $5 bill. But lying is never a good thing and I just had to confess that sin to God. It actually made me think of Peter when he denied Jesus three times.

I guess it is something that you need to decide, by putting tracts in bags you could lose your job, especially after lying about it. I believe you need to confess to your manager that you lied to them, you will soon find out what their policy is. However, this should not stop you from putting tracts in the other places you mentioned.

I put them in letterboxes, I buy a few hundred, then do a letterbox drop. Personally, if I was you I would not put them in bags at work, for it may cause difficulties with your employer. There are always ways to spread the gospel, refraining from one place, does not make the gospel any less powerful. But again this is not concrete advice, do as you feel led.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
We've all done it. That's why we have an advocate with The Father, Jesus Christ The righteous...keep up the good work brother and ps. Thanks for the tip, I might try to do the same at work... As long as we're still doing our jobs and working as unto The Lord... giving out Gospel tracts is doing The Lord's work, right? :)
Numbers 6:24-26

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
In my view you are completely out of order. Putting tracts in their bags makes out that it's your employer's policy when it's not. ie. you are removing your bosses freedom of choice in the matter.
You obviously feel guilty about it because you lied to save face. You should never ever do anything your conscience is not at peace with because that is God's point of conviction. Sadly, you let religious fervour trump spiritual truth. That's how so many God fearing Christians ended up being burned at the stake by the church in the middle ages.

Get your act together. Handing out tracts is not a Christian duty! Before you do any more, seek God and follow his leading.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We've all done it. That's why we have an advocate with The Father, Jesus Christ The righteous...keep up the good work brother and ps. Thanks for the tip, I might try to do the same at work... As long as we're still doing our jobs and working as unto The Lord... giving out Gospel tracts is doing The Lord's work, right? :)
Numbers 6:24-26
No, it's not. Not under the conditions you described. If you want to do that, do it on the street corner on your own time.

It's fundamentally wrong to be using, without permission, your employer's time and audience and facilities to do the kind of evangelizing you have described.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
No, it's not. Not under the conditions you described. If you want to do that, do it on the street corner on your own time.

It's fundamentally wrong to be using, without permission, your employer's time and audience and facilities to do the kind of evangelizing you have described.
I'm fairly sure Paul evangelised while he was making tents acts 18:3 :) unless off course he was mute for the other six days a week

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm fairly sure Paul evangelised while he was making tents acts 18:3
There's every indication that Paul was self-employed.

Or do we assume instead that he worked in the factory making tents for the Middle East Tent and Awning Company?.

;)

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I put tracts up on public bulletin boards at work. These boards hosted all type of employee to employee communications (items for sale, event announcements, requests for ride-sharing, etc). I did this until work management dictated that only work-related notices be posted.

My thinking is that you run the risk of offending a customer, who will then complain to management. You probably know better than I what management's response will be. If you think that they might fire you, you might do well to find another distribution avenue.

I also placed tracts on public bulletin boards at nearby public universities. Something else you could do is to include a tract with any mailings ... say to pay bills, etc. I've always chosen to have my checks printed with a helpful bible verse. I've also mailed tracts to households within various local neighborhoods.

people get offended over everything these days, if they don't want it, they can just throw it away.

• Agree
Reactions: Psalm 27
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
people get offended over everything these days, if they don't want it, they can just throw it away.
Not a good answer. When an employee leaflets customers this way, the customers may be offended at being solicited, no matter what the issue is...or they may feel offended at having unnecessary trash to throw away, no matter what the leaflets are about. They may take offense at the fact that it was done in an underhanded way, too. Or they may see it as an attack on the worth of some other religion of which they are members.

The point is that this all comes back on the employer, and it may also get around among the shoppers' friends that this market is run by radicals or bigots or anti-whatevers. This can hurt the employer's business in addition to requiring him to apologize to any number of complaining customers who say they'll take their business elsewhere. Do not doubt it!

Upvote 0