Aug 27, 2008
MO
Visit site
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any PK kids out there without a direction in life? Following God isn't a problem its living in this old world! I'm 22, married and my dad's a pastor. I don't know if ministry is my thing or not....just wondering everyone's view. Do you feel pressured as a PK to go into the ministry? Go to a Christian college?

Blessings

KoolKat

the crazy priest's kid from down the lane
Nov 28, 2006
my mind
✟21,858.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
my dad has never pressured me to go to a Christian college. both my parents have pressured me to get good grades so i can get into a good college in general.

as for going into the ministry, my denomination doesn't allow women to become priests.

Reactions: Nilla
Upvote 0

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I used to feel pressure, not from my Dad but from the church and myself. I moved far away from home and my Dad's ministry and realized that some of my Dad's gifts, are given to me also. Whether I become a minister or not, or am a person who talks to homeless people on the street, I share God to others through me.

Upvote 0

Lifecouldbeeasier

Listening Ear
Nov 3, 2012
United States
✟15,111.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I felt pressured for years, by my fathers co-workers (whom I can not get away from in this small town), from the people at church, from my parents, my brother... I was constantly miserable, depressed - occasionally suicidal, I dropped out of college, never got into drugs or anything, but it took a long time for me to feel comfortable at all with myself. And when I finally did I found that I was far away from the church. Which would be very hard on my parents, should they ever find out. I've discovered where I'm happiest is being a pagan. Yeah everybody grab your pitch forks and torches. Time to burn the witch.

Paganism has given me the greatest sense of peace, and belonging to the Gods. A far stronger connection than I ever felt with the Christian God. The people I've met are understanding, accept the fact that I'm a lesbian and don't think it's something to be ashamed of or that I'm going to hell for, and the fact that I figured it out without having had sex doesn't mean I'm wrong or confused. It's just part of who I am. And they welcome me. No christian group ever did that.

I love my parents, they're wonderful people who love me so much. But I can't be who they want me to be. Trying was killing me. And now I'm happy. So was being a PK hard? Yes. It was so hard. But it gets easier.

Upvote 0

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's hard to find our own paths as PK's because people look at us more closely than others and we feel a lot of pressure from our parents to follow them in ways other people don't. Not saying other children don't feel pressure, it's a unique pressure on PK's cause their parent's life's job depends partly on how the kids are.

Lifecouldbeeasier: I understand what you are saying. I have also found the connection to the pagan world. I also have battled with sexuality. The most important thing is that we are free to exam truth with support and without fear for ourselves. Seek truth and you will find it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sonofmarc

Feb 24, 2013
Earth
✟7,688.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
In my teen years, the expectations from my family and the church weighed down on me. My parents never persuaded me to go into ministry, I could be whatever I wanted to be, they only wanted me to be saved. Ofcourse not everyone is called to minister as a leader, there are other areas of ministry. I knew I wanted to serve God, but I also wanted to expore other things, so I felt deprived and frustrated not being able to do the common things that other teens would do. Gradually as I grew older, I began to rebel against the church and my parents. I finally started living on my own and I felt free for a while. However, somedays when I would reflect upon my life and wonder if I ever felt fulfilled, there was only a hollow, a deep space that needed filling. Anyway, I realised the truth, the cause of my depression wasn't from the expectations of my parents and others, I felt sad because I knew the Truth, but wouldn't expect it. Thank God for His grace upon my life, I was given enough time to repent and I did it with on one preaching to me. Now I wish I had given myself to Him (God) at a much younger age. Well, its not too late now.

Upvote 0

PoseyLynn

Jan 12, 2014
✟15,139.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I've always felt pressured to always walk on "higher ground" and people expect me to know all the answers... My parents have been pressuring me to play music at our church, but I don't feel called by God to do so... it disappoints my parents, but I don't think praise should ever be because someone else tells you to do something. It kinda defeats the purpose. Same goes with preaching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums