• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Pilot of 25 years discusses how she realized the earth was flat

Discussion in 'Non-Mainstream and Controversial Science' started by SeventyOne, Feb 12, 2020.

1. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Well-Known Member

+2,489
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    It's been in front of us all along, but this pilot discusses the moment her eyes were opened to our flat earth reality.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+8,388
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    ?Why would a gyroscope suddenly 'flip over' when crossing hemispheres? Does she/you think there wasn't perhaps some consideration of its design for use in an aircraft?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. SeventyOne

+2,489
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    Why are you asking me? I'm not the pilot. I just enjoy the moments when the lights suddenly turn on and people see what's going on around them.

4. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+2,658
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Unless she thinks she is going downhill driving south and uphill going north this makes no sense. Who says the north pole is on top? There is no point on a ball that is up or down.

5. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+11,901
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    So what?

6. SeventyOne

+2,489
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    Useful as ever.

7. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+12,248
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Pilot needs to learn how her gyro works. Yes, if she had an ideal, unrestricted gyro, she’d be correct. But that’s not what’s in her plane. There are several things that can cause a gyro to lose calibration (e.g. friction), so aircraft gyros are designed to continually recalibrate themselves against the force of gravity, which means that “down” is “down” wherever you are.

Gyroscope in an airplane following the curve of the Earth

https://www.quora.com/How-do-modern-airplanes-gyroscopes-adjust-for-the-curvature-of-the-earth

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. SeventyOne

+2,489
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    I do understand exactly what she is talking about, although I just didn't understand why I was being asked to explain the words of others.

You have to think about it a bit abstractly. The difference is between the starting and ending aspect of the plane and the ground, and the matching aspect of the gyroscope. They should not be the same based on the starting and ending points. And she finally got it one day. Fabulous to watch.

9. iluvatar5150

+12,248
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    A theoretical, idealized gyroscope maintains its orientation relative to some axis against which it was originally calibrated, not to any sort of gravitational field. An airplane flying from, say, the north pole to the south pole will invert relative to non-terrestrial 3D reference coordinates and, as such, an onboard gyro should show that inversion. It wouldn’t flip over suddenly, but rather slowly change over the course of the flight. If a spacecraft followed that same course, that’s exactly what we’d see. However, as I pointed out in my previous post, real-world airborne gyros recalibrate themselves against gravity, negating this precession entirely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. iluvatar5150

+12,248
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    She didn’t “get” anything, really. Yes, she “got” a new question to ask, but instead of seeking answers, she went with the kooky explanation that’s countered by mountains of other evidence, including her own maps and flight plans.

11. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Well-Known Member

+5,025
    Atheist
    Married
    Up pops Seventy One posting yet more videos. I asked you a question in the other thread, did you forget? You suggested I was gullible, readily accepting the lies fed to me about global travel and I showed you why a flat Earth makes no sense.

It seems you not capable of discussing verifiable facts, just posting random talking points and disappearing when you are required to post something of substance.

12. iluvatar5150

+12,248
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I usually hang out in the politics forum, but swinging through here once in a while adds a lot of clarity and context to some of the kooky arguments I see over there.

13. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+3,310
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Hey, how about before posting a new FE thread, you respond to all of the arguments from the previous one?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • List
  14. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+11,901
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Why should I take you seriously about anything when you claim that there is a vast, centuries old conspiracy of scientists to undermine believers in a flat Earth while refusing to present any evidence of that conspiracy or suggest a motive for it?

15. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+8,388
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."
    "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Clearly you need some practice Mr Speedwell.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. The IbanezerScrooge

The IbanezerScrooge Well-Known Member

+703
    Atheist
    Private
    Was she making the one of the two flights from Sydney to Buenos Aires or Toronto? Perhaps, you could take a minute and answer Jimmy D's post on the Flat Earth Takedown thread?

17. Larnievc

Larnievc Well-Known Member

+2,693
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Some one doesn’t know how gyros work.

18. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Well-Known Member

+5,025
    Atheist
    Married
    I’m shocked that unlike the rest of the world’s pilots and engineers she wasn’t briefed that she should keep her mouth shut about the globe hoax. Maybe she was sick that day.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. The IbanezerScrooge

The IbanezerScrooge Well-Known Member

+703
    Atheist
    Private
    More useful than the OP, certainly.

20. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+4,998
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    How can you see that as unrefuted evidence for a flat earth?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List