• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Pilgrim's Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherG

Oct 20, 2006
✟7,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone read the classic book Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan? I read it last year when I was going through a particularly bad time with OCD and it really spoke to me. John Bunyan himself almost certainly had OCD although there was no name for it in those days. If you do a Web search for "Grace abounding to the worst of sinners" you can find his autobiography. He was just like us, tormented by fears of losing his salvation and committing the unpardonable sin. He even had blasphemous thoughts come into his head while he was preaching. But I found it so inspiring that he ended up imprisoned for his faith and writing this world-famous book. And he did end up in a place of peace where he came to the awesome revelation that his salvation was all through Christ's mercy and nothing that he could do himself. Amen!
I still remember this one passage in the book where Christian had to walk over this narrow ledge over a lake of fire or something and these voices kept whispering blasphemies in his ear and trying to push him off but he just kept going, even though it seemed impossible. It made me cry because isn't that just how it is when you're struggling with OCD? Of course, Christian made it across, and so did John Bunyan, and so shall we, through Jesus. Hallelujah!

I recommend this book if you are really struggling or going through doubts and finding it hard to keep going. It just came into my mind again and I thought maybe God reminded me for a reason so thought I would post about it.

Heather

M

mbrob

Thanks, HeatherG. That sounds like a must read that I must admit I have not yet done.

There is an autobiography by John Bunyan, Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners, where Bunyan really sheds light on both his scrupulosity and recovery. Some in the psychiatric community describe Bunyan as the "father" of ocd self-management, based on his intuitive methods of confronting his thoughts.

I just found a link to this work - it seems to be complete, but I'm not sure.

http://www3.calvarychapel.com/library/Bunyan-John/GraceAbounding/GraceAbounding.htm#01

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.