• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Pig kidney transplant avoids immediate rejection

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by jayem, Oct 24, 2021.

1. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+5,907
    Atheist
    Married
    In an experiment at NYU, a transplanted kidney from a genetically modified pig functioned normally for 3 days, without triggering immediate rejection. The recipient had been declared dead by neurologic criteria, but with the family’s consent, was maintained on life support for the duration of the experiment.

U.S. surgeons successfully test pig kidney transplant in human patient

It’s been postulated for some time that xenotransplantation (use of non-human animal organs) could possibly maintain a patient until a human organ was available. Pigs are good donor candidates, since their organs are very similar in size and anatomy to our own. The big problem is that the organs of non-primate mammals express a carbohydrate—galactose alpha 1,3 galactose (AKA, alpha-gal) on their cell membranes. Which triggers an intense immediate rejection response in an xenotransplant recipient. The donor animal came from a herd of pigs genetically modified to lack the alpha-gal antigen. That’s why no evidence of hyperactive rejection after 3 days is very significant. (Longer term rejection remains an issue.)

I know this experiment seems creepy. But assuming the recipient’s family gave fully informed consent, valuable and potentially life-saving information was obtained. Though I don’t know if the pig gave consent. :oldthumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,411
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I wish we repurposed the Kidney donor as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  3. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,117
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    I doubt it. From personal experience, I can attest to the ironic fact, that government agencies and government supported agencies are funny that way. They can be corrupt as get out, but still be careful to avoid all possible appearance of impropriety at the lower levels, by policy.

For example, I have seen how a cow that was injured during transportation to a sale, though still alive and otherwise healthy, was destroyed and discarded, even though already at the sale at the time. The same happened to a sow who had to be killed in order to save her litter of pigs by Caesarean section. Nothing else was wrong with her, but she was not allowed to be used for meat, though the whole swine operation was about growing and selling the meat. These happened at a prison farm where I was employed as maintenance supervisor on the farm section. Big boar hogs in sexual frenzy usually foam at the mouth, and are generally in a nasty disposition at being told what direction to go, not to mention that they are capable of going pretty much wherever they please. One prisoner on the swine crew was not careful, got slashed in the calf of his leg, and the $2000+ (stud-worthy) boar hog had to be documented as destroyed and properly discarded, because the news might conclude it was rabid.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List