Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Not sure who taught you that seeking personal faith is "playing God" or that God does not assure His children of salvation through His ordained means. Likewise, if you think it is ok to claim Christ but live like the Devil and still expect to be regarded as a Christian, then I think you misunderstand your own theology. The words of Jesus are particularly telling on this matter, and He is not wrong.

Love to debate you on that (as Luther clearly believed in seeking personal faith) Think about it of you want to debate the issue with me. There are sub-forums for that here at CF.
You seem to have assumed that I am critical of leading a pious life. Nothing could be further from the truth.

My personal view (unsupported by theology or research) is that pietism is the outgrowth of an errant theology of sanctification. It seems like those who think that it is their own work to sanctify themselves tend toward pietism, while those who see sanctification as a work of God in us do not.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I understand the draw of pietism. I really do. I was a pietist for thirty years. We read the bible and see God's command to be free of sin and his instructions on how not to sin. It is perfectly natural to assume from this that it is possible for us not to sin.

It is not.

I assume that you would agree with me on this ContraMundum, that in this life we can never be free of sin, that we are not sinners because we sin but that we sin because we are sinners.

So if we cannot keep from sinning, how much sin is acceptable? Can it be quantified? Can you really look at people and decide who has too much sin and who has an acceptable amount of sin?

We are clearly commanded not to sin. So, if that is God's command to us and yet we are incapable of doing so, where does that leave us?

It leaves us begging for mercy. Lord have mercy! It leaves us begging for faith. Lord, I believe! Help my unbelief! It leaves us with absolutely nothing to cling to but God's Word and Sacraments, promising and delivering to us the forgiveness of sins.

It leaves us broken and empty, because we cannot fix ourselves, try as we must. It leaves us ministering to and loving others who fail constantly just as we do ourselves. It leaves us totally dependent on God for our righteousness because we have none of our own.

We are beggars, this is true.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The genius of the doctrine of the Reformation is that it makes an emphasis on personal faith and trust in the Saviour as the only means of justification. I think a lot of Christians attending or who are members of Churches from the Reformation forget that. Hence, you have a state churches claiming millions on the membership roles but with empty pews most of the year. That is not much different to Catholicism.
Interesting perspective to have.....

Upvote 0

solarflare

Romans 4:5–8
Sep 9, 2012
Helsinki
✟15,164.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The genius of the doctrine of the Reformation is that it makes an emphasis on personal faith and trust in the Saviour as the only means of justification.

I fail to see any genius in putting emphasis on your trust or even personal faith as the only means of justification. It's not your trust that merits the justification nor anything you do.

You don't happen to be meaning the doctrine of the Reformed church in here, do you?

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You seem to have assumed that I am critical of leading a pious life. Nothing could be further from the truth.

My personal view (unsupported by theology or research) is that pietism is the outgrowth of an errant theology of sanctification. It seems like those who think that it is their own work to sanctify themselves tend toward pietism, while those who see sanctification as a work of God in us do not.

A false understanding of the doctrine of sanctification is indeed the root cause of works salvation, false pietism and legalism. I do think there is some debate and discussion amongst Lutheran scholars around the doctrine. I agree absolutely that it is God's work in us, not our work for God. However, following the teachings and law of Christ, summarized by sermon on the Mount requires action. This is why some have said that sanctification requires a response to God's gracious action in us.

One guy on this forum pointed out a terrific small paper on sanctification a few months ago. I'd love to have another look at it....anyone?

I understand the draw of pietism. I really do. I was a pietist for thirty years. We read the bible and see God's command to be free of sin and his instructions on how not to sin. It is perfectly natural to assume from this that it is possible for us not to sin.

It is not.

I assume that you would agree with me on this ContraMundum, that in this life we can never be free of sin, that we are not sinners because we sin but that we sin because we are sinners.

Agreed, but we must put away sin in us- as Luther put it "drown the old Adam".

So if we cannot keep from sinning, how much sin is acceptable? Can it be quantified? Can you really look at people and decide who has too much sin and who has an acceptable amount of sin?
It's about fruit, and calling a spade a spade. Jesus and the Apostles clearly expect us to preach the law to sinners- so it stands to reason we can recognize them by their fruit. Simply preaching the law and Gospel sends droves of baptized folks away from the Church. We don't judge them. Their own actions do. While they carry the name Christian, they do have have the marks of repentance.

I don't know if we are talking past each other here or not, but it just seems obvious to me that Christianity is not mental assent to the stories, authority or sacraments of the Bible. It is essentially about faith in Christ. Without that, all that mental stuff means nothing.

We are clearly commanded not to sin. So, if that is God's command to us and yet we are incapable of doing so, where does that leave us?
I think the scriptures tell us that we are always capable of sinning, but also they tell us that sin does not have to be our master. I believe the Holy Spirit can lead and indwell us, as promised in scripture. I don't really buy into the negative view that man has to be content with his sin as it will always overpower him. I believe the presence of the Spirit in us gives us a way of conquering our sinful life. My experience has led me to believe that the more you pursue holiness (which always requires a knowledge of the presence of sin), the harder the fight gets, but the more victory comes. As Luther said "The more godly a man is, the more doth he feel that battle."

Luther said also "Doth not require the godly, that they should utterly put off or destroy the flesh: but they should bridle it." While Luther has a very monastic streak in his doctrine of sanctification (the daily personal struggle with sin and the mortification of the carnal nature- this is where the pietists get their lead I think) he does believe in the progress of the soul towards holiness. He said "Notwithstanding, our righteousness is much more plentiful than our sin, because the holiness and righteousness of Christ our Mediator doth far exceed the sin of the whole world." I tend to stand on that side of the argument.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I fail to see any genius in putting emphasis on your trust or even personal faith as the only means of justification. It's not your trust that merits the justification nor anything you do.

You don't happen to be meaning the doctrine of the Reformed church in here, do you?

No, not at all. I think you've misunderstood.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
CM, just to be clear, I'm not advocating lawlessness. It seems like many times those who would defend pietism believe that the only alternative is antinomianism.
A false understanding of the doctrine of sanctification is indeed the root cause of works salvation, false pietism and legalism. I do think there is some debate and discussion amongst Lutheran scholars around the doctrine. I agree absolutely that it is God's work in us, not our work for God. However, following the teachings and law of Christ, summarized by sermon on the Mount requires action. This is why some have said that sanctification requires a response to God's gracious action in us.
Agreed. It seems, though, that pietists believe that they are doing these works in order to gain favor with God instead of doing them for the good of their neighbor. God doesn't need our good works but our neighbor does.

Agreed, but we must put away sin in us- as Luther put it "drown the old Adam".
The old Adam is drowned in our baptism, and as we daily return to the new life given to us in our baptism.

It's about fruit, and calling a spade a spade. Jesus and the Apostles clearly expect us to preach the law to sinners- so it stands to reason we can recognize them by their fruit. Simply preaching the law and Gospel sends droves of baptized folks away from the Church. We don't judge them. Their own actions do. While they carry the name Christian, they do have have the marks of repentance.
[Assuming you meant "they do not have the marks ...]Which is why there are specific steps outlined in scripture on church discipline. These actions are to take place within the ministry of the church, not by individuals. It is the vocation of the pastor and elders to administer discipline, always with the goal of restoration of the one struggling in unrepentant, public sin and unbelief.

I don't know if we are talking past each other here or not, but it just seems obvious to me that Christianity is not mental assent to the stories, authority or sacraments of the Bible. It is essentially about faith in Christ. Without that, all that mental stuff means nothing.
Faith alone saves, but saving faith is never alone.

I think the scriptures tell us that we are always capable of sinning, but also they tell us that sin does not have to be our master. I believe the Holy Spirit can lead and indwell us, as promised in scripture. I don't really buy into the negative view that man has to be content with his sin as it will always overpower him.
No, not to be content with his sin, that would be antinomian. But it's not just that we are always capable of sinning, but that we exist as justified sinners. We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners. In this life, sin is inevitable and inescapable. That does not mean that we should tolerate our sin or be content in sin, we should hate our sin and pray for deliverance and mercy. But victory over sin is not within our grasp outside of the cross. That's why the primary use of the law is to show us our sinfulness and drive us to the cross, because there is no victory over sin outside of the alien righteousness of Christ.

I believe the presence of the Spirit in us gives us a way of conquering our sinful life. My experience has led me to believe that the more you pursue holiness (which always requires a knowledge of the presence of sin), the harder the fight gets, but the more victory comes.
The presence of the Spirit does give us a way of conquering sin, but that is only by driving us to the only place victory over sin can be found - in the cross of Christ.

As Luther said "The more godly a man is, the more doth he feel that battle."
Being aware of the battle doth not mean victory over sin by our sheer force of will or mental discipline. Being aware of the battle means making use of the armor of God, the shield of faith and the sword of the Spirit, the Word. These are only available to us through Word and Sacrament, not by our own force of will.

Luther said also "Doth not require the godly, that they should utterly put off or destroy the flesh: but they should bridle it." While Luther has a very monastic streak in his doctrine of sanctification (the daily personal struggle with sin and the mortification of the carnal nature- this is where the pietists get their lead I think) he does believe in the progress of the soul towards holiness.
I don't know if early Luther may have believed in progressive sanctification or not, though it wouldn't surprise me since it took him quite a while to set aside completely many of his monastic proclivities, but I think you would be hard pressed to show from his later works and the Lutheran confessions a teaching that would support progress towards holiness. Progressive sanctification is foreign to Lutheran theology, and Christian Perfectionism is an outright heresy.

He said "Notwithstanding, our righteousness is much more plentiful than our sin, because the holiness and righteousness of Christ our Mediator doth far exceed the sin of the whole world." I tend to stand on that side of the argument.
Exactly, but make sure you are reading this as the alien righteousness of Christ imputed to us, and not a righteousness gained by us through the avoidance of obvious sins.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
CM, just to be clear, I'm not advocating lawlessness. It seems like many times those who would defend pietism believe that the only alternative is antinomianism.

Understood.

Agreed. It seems, though, that pietists believe that they are doing these works in order to gain favor with God instead of doing them for the good of their neighbor. God doesn't need our good works but our neighbor does.

I don't see any evidence in early Lutheran pietism that would support the notion that they taught good works gained favor from the Lord. It's precisely that accusation that I am against. I simply can't agree that this is what pietism ever stood for.

The old Adam is drowned in our baptism, and as we daily return to the new life given to us in our baptism.
Of course.

[Assuming you meant "they do not have the marks ...]Which is why there are specific steps outlined in scripture on church discipline. These actions are to take place within the ministry of the church, not by individuals. It is the vocation of the pastor and elders to administer discipline, always with the goal of restoration of the one struggling in unrepentant, public sin and unbelief.

That's way off where I think this discussion needs to go. It's not about Church discipline, because you gotta be attending church in the first place to submit to it. If you are baptized but not attending anyway- it pretty much proves the point I made in the beginning.

No, not to be content with his sin, that would be antinomian. But it's not just that we are always capable of sinning, but that we exist as justified sinners. We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners. In this life, sin is inevitable and inescapable. That does not mean that we should tolerate our sin or be content in sin, we should hate our sin and pray for deliverance and mercy. But victory over sin is not within our grasp outside of the cross. That's why the primary use of the law is to show us our sinfulness and drive us to the cross, because there is no victory over sin outside of the alien righteousness of Christ.

Agreed.

The presence of the Spirit does give us a way of conquering sin, but that is only by driving us to the only place victory over sin can be found - in the cross of Christ.

Ummm...I think that kind of is bit watered down. The Spirit changes us, it does not just remind us of the Cross. Yes, all the work is on the cross, but the Spirit does more than give us doctrines to assent to.

Being aware of the battle doth not mean victory over sin by our sheer force of will or mental discipline. Being aware of the battle means making use of the armor of God, the shield of faith and the sword of the Spirit, the Word. These are only available to us through Word and Sacrament, not by our own force of will.

Agreed.

I don't know if early Luther may have believed in progressive sanctification or not, though it wouldn't surprise me since it took him quite a while to set aside completely many of his monastic proclivities, but I think you would be hard pressed to show from his later works and the Lutheran confessions a teaching that would support progress towards holiness. Progressive sanctification is foreign to Lutheran theology, and Christian Perfectionism is an outright heresy.

I think there is a terminology question here. The scriptures clearly teach growth in holiness- a progress in sanctification. If you have some kind of problem with the term "progressive sanctification", then call it what you are comfortable with, but it is scriptural.

Exactly, but make sure you are reading this as the alien righteousness of Christ imputed to us, and not a righteousness gained by us through the avoidance of obvious sins.

Christ's righteousness imputed to us is only one part of the discussion on soteriology. While one will not gain righteousness by avoiding sin, one certainly won't avoid sin without the indwelling Spirit to begin with. The righteous will avoid sin, the unrighteous will not. While I understand many modern day Lutherans reject any notion of the possibility of a holy life, the early Lutherans, including Luther, certainly taught it. The real issue is how one becomes holy. I say it is by faith. Not only is justification by faith, so is sanctification. But both justification and sanctification have obvious results in the believer. Lives change. Desires change. Faith begins to bring forth good works, "which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" (Eph 2:10)

It's worth remembering the words of Luther, cited in the Confessions:

"For, as Dr. Luther writes in the Preface to St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans: Thus faith is a divine work in us, that changes us and regenerates us of God, and puts to death the old Adam, makes us entirely different men in heart, spirit, mind, and all powers, and brings with it [confers] the Holy Ghost. Oh, it is a living, busy, active, powerful thing that we have in faith, so that it is impossible for it not to do good without ceasing. Nor does it ask whether good works are to be done; but before the question is asked, it has wrought them, and is always engaged in doing them. But he who does not do such works is void of faith, and gropes and looks about after faith and good works, and knows neither what faith nor what good works are, yet babbles and prates with many words concerning faith and good works. [Justifying] faith is a living, bold [firm] trust in God's grace, so certain that a man would die a thousand times for it [rather than suffer this trust to be wrested from him]. And this trust and knowledge of divine grace renders joyful, fearless, and cheerful towards God and all creatures, which [joy and cheerfulness] the Holy Ghost works through faith; and on account of this, man becomes ready and cheerful, without coercion, to do good to every one, to serve every one, and to suffer everything for love and praise to God, who has conferred this grace on him, so that it is impossible to separate works from faith, yea, just as impossible as it is for heat and light to be separated from fire." (FoC, SD, IV, 10ff)

So while we both would agree that works follow faith, Luther speaks of the change of heart wrought by faith that propels us to good works, which Christians have been foreordained to do (in other words, it's why we are still here after our justification and not just rushed up to Heaven)

I think a lot of seriously theological people get so focused on the doctrine and process that they forget about the lifestyle. I did it for years. As Luther said: " Beware of Satan! He detains with unnecessary things, once gaining an entrance will fill you with useless questions." I think in this spirit did pietism arise, but like all theology it suffers from the pendulum that swings between extremes. You gotta keep balanced.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
CM, I'd like to get your opinion on this recent blog post -

Lutherans, Sanctification, and the Idiot Next Door « Strange Herring

Such a good link. I feel like I could have written it myself, it was that close to what I have observed as well. I loved the link within the article too. Amazing to see how many people just hate the idea of doing something Christian with their life.

I often feel sad to those who have this fear or aversion to pursue holiness and good works. It's like they are missing out on the best part of being a Christian. Being freed from one's sins to do good without expecting reward is a great part of being a disciple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Then essentially we agree. We are probably just both reacting out of our past struggles, you with your history of over-focusing on doctrine, and me with my Baptist/ND past of over-focusing on me and my own actions that almost wrecked my faith.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then essentially we agree. We are probably just both reacting out of our past struggles, you with your history of over-focusing on doctrine, and me with my Baptist/ND past of over-focusing on me and my own actions that almost wrecked my faith.

I had exactly the same thought! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I joked with my pastor that Pietism is the dirty secret of Lutheranism. The Establishment in both the ELCA and LCMS treats pietism as a dirty word you use in intraconfessional debates. If a liberal Lutheran doesn't like insistence on actual substantive religion, they can always throw out the epiphet "pietist" into the discussion, etc. The hyperdox folks do the same thing with the label, of course, when anyone objects to their wooden religion.

The fact is if your church has a Bible study or you own a Bible in your home, you can thank Pietists for that. Pietists were also the first to bring actual Lutheran pastors to the US. And they were heavily involved in missionary efforts around the world.

• Agree
Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The fact is if your church has a Bible study or you own a Bible in your home, you can thank Pietists for that. Pietists were also the first to bring actual Lutheran pastors to the US. And they were heavily involved in missionary efforts around the world.

And our hymnal would be a lot slimmer too.

The pietist revivalist movements (The Fifth Revival, the Awakened, the Prayer Movement, the Evangelical Movement and the Laestadians) are deeply integrated under the umbrella of our Church; the Church Research Institute estimates that two-thirds of our 400 parishes are home to one or several of these movements.

What makes you to say that the lutheran orthodoxy was “dead”?

How do you know that they weren't real christians?

This is a very old & resurrected threat, but I'm going to answer to this.

Back in the day of the Lutheran orthodoxy in the 16th/17th century, church membership was mandatory and so was church attendance; thus, whatever one's thoughts about Jesus Christ, one had to show up at a Mass nevertheless, or else, punishment. Priesthood was a hereditary profession, no calling required; the oldest son inherited the estate to serve the family, the next one made his career in the church to serve God, and the rest went into the army to serve the King and country.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Back in the day of the Lutheran orthodoxy in the 16th/17th century, church membership was mandatory and so was church attendance; thus, whatever one's thoughts about Jesus Christ, one had to show up at a Mass nevertheless, or else, punishment. Priesthood was a hereditary profession, no calling required; the oldest son inherited the estate to serve the family, the next one made his career in the church to serve God, and the rest went into the army to serve the King and country.

Do you think Pietism contributed to secularism in Finland, even if indirectly?

The US has always had more freedom of religion to one degree or another since its founding. Even in states that had established religions, this was not rigorously enforced, and religious disestablishment became the norm. So American has been a nation where Pietism has been extremely successful as a religious ethos, along with Puritanism.

But I'm curious to hear other perspectives on Pietism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you think Pietism contributed to secularism in Finland, even if indirectly?

Hard to say. In some ways, yes, probably, in other ways, no.

Radical Pietism came to Finland as an upper class movement with officers and noblemen and is consequently called "manor house pietism." Today, the revivalist movements within the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland tend to lean on the conservative side. For example, the (conservative, agrarian-centrist) Prime Minister of Finland, Juha Sipilä, is a Laestadian Lutheran and Cold War President and fellow agrarian-centrist Urho Kekkonen (1956-82) was from a Laestadian family. Do you know this branch of Lutheranism, also present in the United States? The Conservative Laestadians are against TV, movies, theatre, opera, sports, cosmetics, fashion, contraception, alcohol etc., and thus, ironically, with their strict rules, they are the modern Lutheran orthodoxy campaigners. The also very strongly believe in the doctrine of Two Regiments; an act against the God-instated government is an act against God.

The revivalist movement most certainly contributed to the democratization of Finland and increased social mobility and the end of the Estates and their monopoly, including the diminished powers and privileges of both the nobility and the clergy. But I don't think democratization of society is quite the same as secularisation. We still have religion in school and public places, Christian public holidays, weekly church services in national TV and radio, national public church services. Collective religion is much more visible in everday Finnish public life than it is in the United States.

We do have a state church: the Orthodox Church of Finland. The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland is not a state church but rather a folk church. The Church and the state (the Russian empire), officially parted ways back in 1869, when the Lutheran church gained her independency. So techically, the Finnish secularisation came as a result of the political situation beyond Finnish powers: that the head of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland was no longer the Lutheran King of Sweden but the Orthodox Tsar of Russia.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Radical Pietism came to Finland as an upper class movement with officers and noblemen and is consequently called "manor house pietism." Today, the revivalist movements within the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland tend to lean on the conservative side. For example, the (conservative, agrarian-centrist) Prime Minister of Finland, Juha Sipilä, is a Laestadian Lutheran and Cold War President and fellow agrarian-centrist Urho Kekkonen (1956-82) was from a Laestadian family. Do you know this branch of Lutheranism, also present in the United States? The Conservative Laestadians are against TV, movies, theatre, opera, sports, cosmetics, fashion, contraception, alcohol etc., and thus, ironically, with their strict rules, they are the modern Lutheran orthodoxy campaigners.

I've heard of them, though they are more common in the midwest than the part of the country I live in.

The also very strongly believe in the doctrine of Two Regiments; an act against the God-instated government is an act against God.

We have that doctrine too, of course, but we'ld never interpret it in such a wooden and idealistic fashion. In English we call it the doctrine of the "Two Kingdoms".

The revivalist movement most certainly contributed to the democratization of Finland and increased social mobility and the end of the Estates and their monopoly, including the diminished powers and privileges of both the nobility and the clergy.

It sounds like Lutheranism in Scandinavia, at least initially, was very conservative in its reforms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Suomi Lutherans merged into to LCA in 1962. They were centered in the UP of Michigan. My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Savela and immigrated to the US in the 1890s from Finland. Alas, the only thing that I really have of Finnish origin is my 1914 translation of the Kalevala.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We have that doctrine too, of course, but we'ld never interpret it in such a wooden and idealistic fashion. In English we call it the doctrine of the "Two Kingdoms".

Yes, it's a Lutheran doctrine but not generally taken to the "my government, right or wrong" extremities, even though in Finland, submission to Governing Authorities as per Romans 13 is still part of the national psyche -- and not just when it comes to taxation ;), although we do quite willingly and happily pay ours. Finland ranks almost in a class of its own when it comes to public trust in government and political and public institutions: parliament, democracy, parties, police, courts, defence forces, education. Our president's popularity rate (89%) beats even Putin's!

Pietism is about personal freedom and responsibity and therefore seems quite compatible with the values of modern day Finland.

It sounds like Lutheranism in Scandinavia, at least initially, was very conservative in its reforms.

During the Reformation era? Well, Luther didn't set out to establish a wholly new Church of his own. And with the King's, whose interest certainly was not to bring down the old order, hijacking parts of the Reformation to serve his own interests, it was a long, slow process rather than an overnight revolution.

The Suomi Lutherans merged into to LCA in 1962. They were centered in the UP of Michigan. My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Savela and immigrated to the US in the 1890s from Finland. Alas, the only thing that I really have of Finnish origin is my 1914 translation of the Kalevala.

:) Nice!

Savela would be the House of Clay. :D

I actually do know some American Laestadians of Finnish origins via my local Finnish Laestadians when they have visited their relatives here. As a somewhat closed group, they tend to seek their partners amongst themselves, so the American young men come here to find a wife, and vice versa. Sweet, I think.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps not a popular opinion, but having read Pia Desideria and True Christianity which helped give shape to the movement, I feel like pietism is very easily misunderstood. I don't consider myself a pietist, but from my understanding, pietism in and of itself, if correctly understood, is not counter to the Gospel at all. I think in our day there's regrettably an element of negative suspicion towards it.

If I were to explain pietism solely based on their literature, it would be that it assumes a correct view of the Gospel, but then goes to great lengths stressing love for God and neighbour. I think any other deductions than that starts to snowball into sophistry.

Now, I can appreciate that it can easily mount up to legalism in extremes, but I also think it's quite possible to fall into the other extreme of becoming lukewarm and sluggish - at least that's where I stumble.

In a word, providing you have your Law & Gospel glasses on, and never lose sight of the Gospel, I don't think there's any harm in pietism, even if the word has become offensive to many.

Upvote 0