Physically reproducing your ballot; has anyone ever requested this be done?

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Called my county's BoE and asked them if I wanted them to, could they physically reproduce my ballot. They said that in 27 years, they've never been asked this question. I was quite surprised by this. Has anyone ever had their ballot reproduced and physically confirmed that it had not be altered or modified?

• Informative
Reactions: Kenny'sID

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Called my county's BoE and asked them if I wanted them to, could they physically reproduce my ballot. They said that in 27 years, they've never been asked this question. I was quite surprised by this. Has anyone ever had their ballot reproduced and physically confirmed that it had not be altered or modified?
Why would it be necessary? How would they know which one was yours anyway? And if they did why couldn't they just show you the original?

Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
They should not be able to. Ballots are secret. You shouldn't be able to tie a physical ballot to a person, by design.

We have secret ballots in the US. Once a ballot is cast there is no way to trace it back to the person who cast it.

OP has been informed of this before. Either they're not bothering to read replies, have people on ignore, or are posting this disingenuously. Why not do a modicum of research before starting this thread?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How would they know which one is yours?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It cannot be done, nor should they have the ability. Your vote is a private issue. No one has the right to know how you voted, except for you. To guarantee that your vote has to be cut free from you once you cast it. If we could track down individual votes the election would no longer be anonymous.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
They should not be able to. Ballots are secret. You shouldn't be able to tie a physical ballot to a person, by design.

This is the answer to this question. If your county says they can fulfill this request call your district rep and complain.

Upvote 0

CitizenD

Jul 19, 2017
San Francisco
✟100,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Your ballot isn't marked with your name.

In tech there are already key pair encryption systems in use that allow you to pseudoanonymously sign a document, and the later to verify the contents of that document.

However these systems cannot guarantee that one and only one person holds the key that you do.

Potentially that doesn't matter so long as you can check later and validate, which you could with such a system.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
As long as the number of verified signatures equals the number of physical ballots, the system is secure from the kind of fraud the Trump administration is alleging, the running in of thousands of fake ballots between verification and counting of votes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But my ballot has my name on it
I am pretty sure the actual physical ballot does not have your name on it unless you are a candidate listed on the ballot or you wrote it on it yourself (which could spoil your ballot depending on your local election law). Ballots in the US are secret. There should be no way to tie a ballot to you. The outer envelope may if you voted absentee or whatever, but not the ballot itself. In all US states, ballots are secret either by state constitution or statute.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But my ballot has my name on it
I'm not aware of any states that include a place to write your name on your ballot. The envelope, yes, but not the ballot itself.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am pretty sure the actual physical ballot does not have your name on it unless you are a candidate listed on the ballot or you wrote it on it yourself (which could spoil your ballot depending on your local election law). Ballots in the US are secret. There should be no way to tie a ballot to you. The outer envelope may if you voted absentee or whatever, but not the ballot itself.

There will be a poll book or roster indicating the voters name along with the unique identifier number. After all ballots to be considered in that meeting have been approved, the ballots will be opened and placed in the tabulator.

https://www.moorecountync.gov/images/latest_news/Board_of_Elections_Newsletter.pdf

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not aware of any states that include a place to write your name on your ballot. The envelope, yes, but not the ballot itself.

As I recall (I voted early and in person), they printed my ballot right then and there. Had my name at the top left of it.

Upvote 0