I'm His
Jun 13, 2011
U.S.A.
✟53,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have suffered with fibromyalgia since 2010. My back is pretty messed up too..osteoarthritis, bulging and extruded discs. While my fibro is better and controlled, my back still has flares every once in awhile. I've been in mod to severe pain for 8 days now. It's in the lumbar spine area.

I'm jut sitting here thinking...is physical pain brought on from sin more than living in a fallen world? I do ask for forgiveness, and even ask for forgiveness of sins that I might not be aware of.
I am 47, going through premenopause, and physical/emotional pain. I try to stay positive, but in the last few weeks I've been kinda grouchy.

Physical pain can really take a toll on you mentally. If my back doesn't get better in another week, I guess I will request an xray to see if my discs are worse. Right now, I'm resting and im trying not to aggravate it anymore than I have

I was just wondering if it could be sin, or punishment.

Nov 21, 2020
Rapid City
✟404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m sorry to hear that you’re dealing with this it sounds horrible.

Romans 6:23 tells us that the wages of sin is death.

Yes, unfortunately sickness and death are the result of both sin and living in a fallen world.

But thanks be to God that he gives us the victory through Jesus Christ our Lord.

• Friendly
Reactions: Littlek
Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,491.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
May you feel better soon and get rid of the pain if that is God's will :)

Children of God do not get punished though, dear Littlek. Jesus bore our punishment on the cross! You are justified in God's eyes, and there is no reason for Him to punish you.
But you are a child of the living God, and like every good father He will chasten you sometimes. The Bible says:
"Do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son. Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." - Hebrews 12:5-11

When God rebukes us then He wants to show us something about Him. As children of God He works in us to conform us into the image of Jesus Christ and that procedure can be quite painful for some of us (Romans 8:29). I hope you'll realize quickly what God wants to teach you!

Just always remember that God is your loving father, and while He lets certain things happen in your life that you don't like those things work for your best. Pain and negative circumstances are never a punishment for our sin but always God changing us into the image of His son.

Upvote 0

Aaron_Bethlhm

Nov 20, 2020
New Jerusalem (destination)
✟2,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I have suffered with fibromyalgia since 2010. My back is pretty messed up too..osteoarthritis, bulging and extruded discs. While my fibro is better and controlled, my back still has flares every once in awhile. I've been in mod to severe pain for 8 days now. It's in the lumbar spine area.

I'm jut sitting here thinking...is physical pain brought on from sin more than living in a fallen world? I do ask for forgiveness, and even ask for forgiveness of sins that I might not be aware of.
I am 47, going through premenopause, and physical/emotional pain. I try to stay positive, but in the last few weeks I've been kinda grouchy.

Physical pain can really take a toll on you mentally. If my back doesn't get better in another week, I guess I will request an xray to see if my discs are worse. Right now, I'm resting and im trying not to aggravate it anymore than I have

A few years ago I saw a broadcast of a spokewoman for a group of licensed doctors in the ama/usa. She noted that most pain is caused by swelling (inflammation), no matter where it is in the body.
Thus, without recommending any toxic or illegal substances, she said basically find out what or how the body itself reduces inflammation (most effectively, safely) when it is able to, and that helps a lot. The way God built the body is relatively simple to most people when explained properly, and the anti-inflammatory methods designed inside the body are remarkable to say the least.
The greater sin is not or may not be in nor from the one who suffers, but in the ones who prevent learning the truth ... remember "for lack of knowledge(truth), MY people perish" was and is in God's Word, and is true today as much as it was thousands of years ago..."

Upvote 0

Aaron_Bethlhm

Nov 20, 2020
✟2,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private

There are licensed doctors and/or professionals who specialize , you might say, in treating pain.
I'm referring to those who are using ways proven but not in the AMA. Safe, sound, simple, non-toxic ways known for much longer that even our parents have been alive. And used around the world, sometimes officially, sometimes casually. There is more false information/ marketing everywhere than true info, so keep testing things before accepting them. Another thing that helped people I know was , at the time when it was possible, visiting a support group of people who had already recovered. The information they had after years of searching and years of visiting so many different places, was 'free' to find out about, and also, btw, immediately resulted in peace of mind. The peace of mind (and of body, btw) increased all the more as more and more was found out and used. And the problems became much easier to deal with, without stress and without harm. (and at low cost for such benefits).

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Humans suffer back issues because we’re basically tetrapods that walk on our hind legs . Our backs really dont handle that well over a long period of time like the long human lifespan. I’m sorry that you have to undergo this

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties that you are experiencing.

But as to the question you asked, it's not the case that all the ills and injuries of the flesh are a result of God doling out punishments to us as individuals while we go through life.

The weaknesses of the flesh, generally speaking, are a consequence of the Fall of our first parents, Adam and Eve, but that concerns the condition of humankind all round. Sin destroyed the perfect nature with which Adam and Eve were created, and we, being children of theirs, inherit that nature. But that's quite unlike the situation you were speculating about.

So I'd urge you to put aside the idea that particular ailments are meted out by God in the way you described and for the reason you described.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

God does not punish His people. He does discipline us, which is not the same thing. Ill health may be because God is trying to get our attention. It may also because we are under an attack from satanic forces. A friend of mine incurred the wrath of someone who has a strong occult spirit. My friend has had some debilitating physical ailments for no apparent reason. She asked God to show her the cause and she was reminded of the occult woman she upset.

If we are drifting along on the wrong track, God will speak. If conscience does not get our attention, or if the brethren are unable/unwilling to correct us, God will use other means to get our attention. One of my friends was leader of a ministry to young people., He began to think he was indispensable. Being bedridden for a time demonstrated that God could manage without him!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Littlek

I'm His
Jun 13, 2011
U.S.A.
✟53,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A plant based diet may help reduce inflammation if that is the problem.
Thanks...but I think don't see any issues with meat. I do have osteoarthritis in the same area as degenerative disc disease. If anything, I do see more pain in my fibro from sugar...nothing in relation to food with my back pain.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don’t know if you can do yoga but it helps; both the mindfulness and the different postures focus on different aspects of how you feel the pain . But check with your doctor about positions you can’t do

Upvote 0

Aaron_Bethlhm

Nov 20, 2020
✟2,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks...but I think don't see any issues with meat. I do have osteoarthritis in the same area as degenerative disc disease. If anything, I do see more pain in my fibro from sugar...nothing in relation to food with my back pain.
Unless you tested everything you eat, drink, breath, or take in somehow, allergies may be responsible as they often are. The body when it reacts to some substance, often results in pain anywhere in the body, including migraines, and back pain, and ms.... and various chronic conditions that go away when the diet eliminate all known and unknown allergies. It usually requires a nonama trained health professional to give full information and testing, although adults can be trained as laymen (unauthorized, so to speak) and have great results, just like doing an elimination diet for one's own self or family.
Proven culprits are milk, flour, sugar, msg, artificial sweeteners, pork, modified foods, processed foods, pesticides , artificial flavorings , and house dust (used to be 50% of people tested were allergic to house dust) ....

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

God's not this angry God sitting around inflicting pain on people... we live in a fallen world and dying bodies are a result of that world. Take cheer that we aren't in these bodies long, even if pain makes it feel like an eternity, I guarantee you it's not.

I too suffer pain, I have CRPS and back issues as well. It's just a part of life, it sucks, but we can take comfort in the God that understands our sufferings, who took part in them with us. When it seems too much to bear, we can reach out and HE will be there with us; being well acquainted with our grief HE comforts us.

Smile through your tears, this is not lasting. What is lasting is our salvation and the future resurrection of our glorified bodies. We will be healed, because we are healed.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
John 9:1-3 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, WHO DID SIN, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. This is the scripture tha really addresses your question. See also the interpretation from this website. Whose Sin Caused Your Sickness? – The Simple Answers

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Have you read the book of Job? I can relate to the pain you are having, have had spinal issues too. You have my prayers. I do not think you should consider it punishment for sin, but you can offer it as a sacrifice to benefit you or others.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Have you tried inversion therapy?
TD:)

Upvote 0

Littlek

I'm His
Jun 13, 2011
U.S.A.
✟53,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you read the book of Job? I can relate to the pain you are having, have had spinal issues too. You have my prayers. I do not think you should consider it punishment for sin, but you can offer it as a sacrifice to benefit you or others.
Yes, I have. I try to remember this, but of course when I read other things about it could be my own sin, my mind wanders I guess.

Upvote 0