Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a Christian to divorce and re-marry is clearly saying they don't believe God's promises, no matter how YOU try to slice it.
I'm not talking about the Christian who is married, I'm talking about the UNBELIEVER who is married to the Christian. :doh:

The unbeliever will NOT be 'saved' in the sense of Eternal Life, unless he/she is converted! And there is no guarantee that they will be converted, but rather SANCTIFIED, as I pointed out quite clearly. :wave:

1 Cor 7:14
For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

Upvote 0

Duckybill

Jul 31, 2007
✟3,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 'saved' there is NOT what you are implying [Eternal Life]. It is, rather a SANCTIFICATION, as Saint Paul pointed out;

1 Corinthians 7:14
For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
You don't believe God will save our families? The promises are clear and MANY.

Upvote 0

Duckybill

Jul 31, 2007
✟3,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whether or not the spouse is saved is not really the issue... if one is being abused sometimes divorce is the only way out.
Not for Christians.
The abusive spouse may already be saved.. or may not be saved for another 20 years, the promise has no time scale! So should one continue to live in the abusive situation for years rather than take steps to make oneself and one's children safe?
To believe that an abusive spouse is a Christian is being quite naive and even ridiculous.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
For a Christian to divorce and re-marry is clearly saying they don't believe God's promises, no matter how YOU try to slice it.

I disagree, no matter how you try to slice it. I fully believe in God's promises, which is why I'm now married to the most wonderful man. I knew that God would deliver me from the pain of being beaten, and he did. I know that on judgment day, I'll be heaven. I have that confidence.

Are you a universalist of some sort? You seem to believe that all will be saved at some point, yet you continue to talk about the narrow way. It's a bit confusing.

Bottom line. God hates all sin. He doesn't pick one sin and hate it more (with the exception of blasphemy) but he does forgive, so for you to even pick out one sin is rather ridiculous...especially when one realizes that remarriage is not always sinful. Yes, God hates divorce. I hate divorce. But it doesn't mean that remarriage is a sin.

Upvote 0

Duckybill

Jul 31, 2007
✟3,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I knew that God would deliver me from the pain of being beaten, and he did. I know that on judgment day, I'll be heaven. I have that confidence.
But you didn't believe God would save your abusive spouse?
Are you a universalist of some sort? You seem to believe that all will be saved at some point,
I've never said anything like that.
Bottom line. God hates all sin. He doesn't pick one sin and hate it more (with the exception of blasphemy) but he does forgive, so for you to even pick out one sin is rather ridiculous...especially when one realizes that remarriage is not always sinful. Yes, God hates divorce. I hate divorce. But it doesn't mean that remarriage is a sin.
Why divorce? Divorce is not Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You don't believe God will save our families? The promises are clear and MANY.

You don't believe that each person is saved by their own standing with God? You believe that an unbeliever will be saved just because their spouse is saved? I'm pretty sure you have removed that verse from it's context and are using it for your own purposes.

BTW, I asked a question earlier. Maybe you didn't see it. Did your father abuse your mother?

Upvote 0

Duckybill

Jul 31, 2007
✟3,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The word used for 'saved' in Acts 16:31 is "Sozo", and it is often used as a means of PHYSICALLY being 'saved'.
It clearly means becoming a Christian.

Acts 16:31-34 (NKJV)
31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household." 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized. 34 Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Why divorce? Divorce is not Christian.

Lots of things are "not Christian". I'm assuming by that that means you consider it a sin. Were not all our sins nailed to the cross and covered by the blood of Christ? Or is this sin different?

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean SAVED, as in serving Jesus!
So, an abusive husband or wife who is being unbelieving is serving Jesus now, is he? ^_^

The word used for 'saved' in Acts 16:31 is "Sozo", and it is often used as a means of PHYSICALLY being 'saved'.

Here's are some examples;

Mathew 8:25
And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish.

Mathew 27:40
And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.

Mark 3:4
And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

Mark 15:31
Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save.

Luke 18:42
And Jesus said unto him, Receive thy sight: thy faith hath saved thee.

John 3:17
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Romans 8:24
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

Romans 10:13
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

1 Co 1:21
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Ephesians 2:5
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved ;)

Eph 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

2 Thes 2:10
And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

It clearly means becoming a Christian.

Acts 16:31-34 (NKJV)
31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household." 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized. 34 Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household.
Is it not obvious by now that 'saved' does not equate to 'Eternal Life' in all instances? Just one more I would like to add, which TOTALLY debunks your thesis;

1 Co 7:16
For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Duckybill

Jul 31, 2007
✟3,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't believe that each person is saved by their own standing with God? You believe that an unbeliever will be saved just because their spouse is saved?
God changes hearts.

Ezekiel 11:19-20 (NKJV)
19 Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give them a heart of flesh, 20 that they may walk in My statutes and keep My judgments and do them; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God.
I'm pretty sure you have removed that verse from it's context and are using it for your own purposes.
Are you now?
BTW, I asked a question earlier. Maybe you didn't see it. Did your father abuse your mother?
You can ask any ridiculous question you like, but that doesn't mean you'll get an answer.

Upvote 0

Duckybill

Jul 31, 2007
✟3,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lots of things are "not Christian". I'm assuming by that that means you consider it a sin. Were not all our sins nailed to the cross and covered by the blood of Christ? Or is this sin different?
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NKJV)
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God changes hearts.

Ezekiel 11:19-20 (NKJV)
19 Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give them a heart of flesh, 20 that they may walk in My statutes and keep My judgments and do them; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God.
*snip*
Luke 13:3
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Luke 13:5
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.