Php 4:17-19 Credited to your Account

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Credited to your Account

Php 4:17-19 Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

The highest of motives, namely love, is to do the right thing simply because it's the right thing to do. It is to do good to others, not for one's own benefit, but simply for the benefit of others. Love rejoices in the truth and is not self-seeking (1Cor 13:5,6) It needs neither positive nor negative incentives to take action.

Yet throughout the Bible we are given both positive and negative incentives to comply with God's instructions. We are encouraged to develop an enlightened self-interest, coming to realize the personal benefits we are promised for good behavior. And elsewhere we are warned of the judgement we bring on ourselves for bad behavior. For much of the Bible is written to those yet to be perfected in love.

But if it's positive incentives you need, the Bible offers a great deal with regards to the topic of generosity. See "Investing in a Heavenly Retirement Account" For example concerning the generous it is written, "He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion" 2Cor 9:10,11