Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In the middle of watching the film Vertigo and got an idea to make a thread about people's phobias.

I would say my big one is the fear of heights. Whenever I am somewhere high like a mall, I do not dare go near the rails unless I have too. Escalators are an ordeal. I'd probably have a heart attack if I ever went on a rollercoaster, even kid rides are too scary for me.

I guess to make this thread more interesting.. what is one thing you do not really fear that you maybe should actually fear.. or at least is uncommon to be unafraid of?

Reactions: jayem

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The only real one is the most common one that 85% of the population has as far as social anxiety from having to do something like stand up and give a speech to an audience.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Over a decade ago I started experiencing the sewage end of people's thoughts and emotions.

The experience has not been pleasant, but I guess the human mind gets used to things over time. In general, thoughts are these opaque roots of fears, hate, malice, and other similar things laminated on the surface with good intentions.

How people perceive their thoughts is the surface level, seeing only the good intentions.

In general the one thing that would be scary in a sense, is if thoughts flipped upside down and people overall would only experience the negative root that grows underneath the laminated with positivity - people would all of a sudden stop being nice to one another for selfish reasons...

It would not be a world worth living in.

It's not an active fear - but it would be scary.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I guess to make this thread more interesting.. what is one thing you do not really fear that you maybe should actually fear.. or at least is uncommon to be unafraid of?

I'm not that afraid of Covid or getting sick in general. I usually have a pretty high immune system and can shrug off stuff. I also really hate those masks things, so I'm using the masks purely because of the official rules etc. And well if they were less fascistic I would not be wearing the masks at all etc. and would probably get the super covid at some point, which would be bad because I'm a little bit in a risk category with weight and blood pressure, but not too bad. But yeah I would probably easily get Covid if I was not so much of an introvert recluse.

• Friendly
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,162,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i have no phobias but our daughter in law has it about birds. She is petrified of birds even chicken.

I had a friend who was afraid of rabbits.. it was weird.. he was a really buff guy too. One day we were mowing the lawn for his uncle and my friend came up to me and said.. you'll have to cover this patch of grass.. because a bunny rabbit is hopping around it.. lol.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,162,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not that afraid of Covid or getting sick in general. I usually have a pretty high immune system and can shrug off stuff. I also really hate those masks things, so I'm using the masks purely because of the official rules etc. And well if they were less fascistic I would not be wearing the masks at all etc. and would probably get the super covid at some point, which would be bad because I'm a little bit in a risk category with weight and blood pressure, but not too bad. But yeah I would probably easily get Covid if I was not so much of an introvert recluse.

Yeah.. I was initially afraid of Covid but not so much anymore. My immune system is pretty top notch as well. Although I still wear a mask and wash my hands often and whatnot for the sake of others.

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say my big one is the fear of heights. Whenever I am somewhere high like a mall, I do not dare go near the rails unless I have too. Escalators are an ordeal. I'd probably have a heart attack if I ever went on a rollercoaster, even kid rides are too scary for me.

I've developed odd phobias over the years. Heights is one of them. It never used to be an issue for me! But now, like you, I can't even look down from a second floor landing, or down a staircase, without immediately feeling dizzy and panicky. But roller coasters don't scare me! I love them! I think it's because I'm strapped in, and in motion. Being dangled up high would be unbearable (like on a drop tower - NO way lol).

Tornadoes are another one for me. I think I was a bit traumatized while watching "The Wizard of Oz" as a small child, and my brain latched onto tornadoes as a manifestation of fear. I've had frightening dreams about them all through my life, and if there's so much as a tornado watch in effect in my area, I will remain very tense and anxious until it expires.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,162,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Tornadoes are another one for me. I think I was a bit traumatized while watching "The Wizard of Oz" as a small child, and my brain latched onto tornadoes as a manifestation of fear. I've had frightening dreams about them all through my life, and if there's so much as a tornado watch in effect in my area, I will remain very tense and anxious until it expires.

Lol, I used to be afraid of tornadoes because of my mother.. now as an adult I'll sleep through a severe thunderstorm and tornado watch like a baby..

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Similar to the OP, open heights.

full
(I have read that this is common for airplane pilots, too.) ‍‍:airplane:
Acrophobia – do you suffer?

(FYI, Jimmy Stewart, of Vertigo, was a decorated WWII pilot...!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lol, I used to be afraid of tornadoes because of my mother.. now as an adult I'll sleep through a severe thunderstorm and tornado watch like a baby..
"Because of my mother"

You can't say that, and then not explain! :p

• Haha
Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,162,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Because of my mother"

You can't say that, and then not explain! :p

Sorry.. I simply mean she was hyper scared of tornadoes and it was always a big deal even if it was just thundering out.

She wasn't like some crazy pagan that chased a tornado just so she could hold me up in the air in front of a raging tornado coming right towards us like Simba was held as a baby in The Lion King.

.. if that was what you were thinking.. lol.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Public restrooms creep me out.

I don't like eating at other people's homes. And I don't like potluck either. The issue is cleanliness. I'm particular. I like really neat environments.

And I don't like bridges either. They didn't bother me in the past.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,752.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't know if it would qualify as a "phobia", but I'm not a big fan of spiders. :eek:

Nor me, but heard that spiders are not big fans of lemon either.

So bought some liquid lemon and put it in a spray bottle,

have not noticed any difference.

I have never had a problem with them before,

But before I have always had wooden boats and maybe the smell of
wood preserver kept them away.

IDK, but it is a mystery to me.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry.. I simply mean she was hyper scared of tornadoes and it was always a big deal even if it was just thundering out.

She wasn't like some crazy pagan that chased a tornado just so she could hold me up in the air in front of a raging tornado coming right towards us like Simba was held as a baby in The Lion King.

.. if that was what you were thinking.. lol.

Haha!

I don't care for very windy storms, for the same reasons. But a simple thunderstorm won't freak me out :)

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't like eating at other people's homes. And I don't like potluck either. The issue is cleanliness. I'm particular. I like really neat environments.

I've learned to savor fine food, but for most of the first part of my life, food was simply fuel. My grandmother would bring food to the field so we didn't have to stop working. We didn't even wash our hands. Just stop working, wolf down the food, then back to work.

The result is that in my family, I'm the garbage disposal who eats the leftovers no one else will touch. Odd thing is, I don't get sick nearly as often as the rest of my family.

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Heights is one of them.

I think it's an age thing. When I was a kid I would climb trees, climb up on the roof - I loved roller coasters. Now, I can't even do a simple kid's swing without getting some motion sickness.

Upvote 0