California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is something I’ve been pondering for awhile…

What about God is un-necessarily actual and what is necessary.

Right now I feel most of the Omni’s (Omnipotence Omniscience etc etc) are necessary, with the exception of ones like benevolence which I would say is only actual.

I think actions God undertook are actual but not necessary, including God’s plan for salvation and creation.

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
JonF said:
This is something I’ve been pondering for awhile…

What about God is actual and what is necessary.

Right now I feel most of the Omni’s are necessary, with the exception of ones like benevolence which I would say is actual.

I think actions God undertook are actual, including God’s plan for salvation and creation.

Your terms are a bit confusing - I think you're speaking of things that are necessarily actual and things that are unecessarily actual, but still actual.

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bulldog said:
Your terms are a bit confusing - I think you're speaking of things that are necessarily actual and things that are unecessarily actual, but still actual.
Yup that’s it. Sorry guys I was being a little lose with my terms (was being distracted when I purposed my ill worded question.) I was actually thinking about this because I had to make reference to Kant’s categories for something else. Proposition’s fall into three categories, problematic, actual, and necessary. Simplified: problematic means something could be, actual means it is, and necessary means it must be. If something is actual, it is also problematic. If something is necessary it is also actual.

For example:
It is problematic I tomorrow I will drive into town.

I actually am wearing a blue shirt right now; I don’t necessarily have to wear a blue shirt.

I in actuality need glasses to see. I don’t necessarily need glasses to see.

A dog is necessarily a mammal.

If X is a proposition, it is necessary the proposition: X or it is not the case of X, is true.

So my question is what qualities about God that we as Christians talk about fall into which category.

For example; is God necessarily forgiving, or is he just actually forgiving?

Upvote 0

mike1reynolds

Knight Errant
Apr 29, 2006
Running Springs (2 hours from LA)
✟4,442.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, since the definition of problematic involves uncertainty and the definition of the other two terms does not, you’d get a debate over whether salvation is “problematic” or “actual” from various factions.

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mike1reynolds said:
Well, since the definition of problematic involves uncertainty and the definition of the other two terms does not, you’d get a debate over whether salvation is “problematic” or “actual” from various factions.
These terms are applied to existence and actuality. To say salvation is “problematic” means that it is possible that it is the case that salvation does, and doesn’t exist.

Upvote 0

mike1reynolds

Knight Errant
Apr 29, 2006
✟4,442.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
JonF said:
These terms are applied to existence and actuality. To say salvation is “problematic” means that it is possible that it is the case that salvation does, and doesn’t exist.
For a particular individual it may or may not exist. Salvation as a whole is obviously "necessary" under any context...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mike1reynolds

Knight Errant
Apr 29, 2006
✟4,442.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I touched on this on the Gödel's theorem thread. This view is not that of any denomination of course, it is just my opinion from science, but I think that God continually intervenes in a time stream. God is not bound by time and He can send angels and souls to any time He wants. To begin with none are saved and nothing in that time stream is real, it is all a nightmarish dream with no incarnate souls. So God’s first task is to get the time stream improved sufficiently to where souls even show up, even if they are all doomed. But they aren’t doomed really, because God will keep rolling back the time stream and improving it until a critical mass of salvation is reached.

The first time the critical mass is reached will be by the narrowest margin and against the most titanic opposition. The dark side, not use to loosing, will still be giving it their all. After their loss has become a certainty they will just run away, and as God rolls back the time stream and improves it more, salvation in that time stream will quickly become more of a walk-through. So if you assume that God is not bound by time then salvation is ultimately assured, but it may not be this time around if you don’t try hard enough. So salvation would still be both necessary and problematic, depending on the context.

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mike1reynolds said:
I touched on this on the Gödel's theorem thread. This view is not that of any denomination of course, it is just my opinion from science, but I think that God continually intervenes in a time stream. God is not bound by time and He can send angels and souls to any time He wants. To begin with none are saved and nothing in that time stream is real, it is all a nightmarish dream with no incarnate souls. So God’s first task is to get the time stream improved sufficiently to where souls even show up, even if they are all doomed. But they aren’t doomed really, because God will keep rolling back the time stream and improving it until a critical mass of salvation is reached.

The first time the critical mass is reached will be by the narrowest margin and against the most titanic opposition. The dark side, not use to loosing, will still be giving it their all. After their loss has become a certainty they will just run away, and as God rolls back the time stream and improves it more, salvation in that time stream will quickly become more of a walk-through. So if you assume that God is not bound by time then salvation is ultimately assured, but it may not be this time around if you don’t try hard enough. So salvation would still be both necessary and problematic, depending on the context.
any biblical support for this, or is it all conjecture?

Upvote 0

mike1reynolds

Knight Errant
Apr 29, 2006
✟4,442.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Biblical arguments are on both sides of the free will vs. predestination debates. Both sides can draw on Biblical support because it is not a case where one or the other is true. They are both true according to the Bible. The Bible doesn't really account for how both could be true at the same time, so I can't provide Biblical support for my specific assertions that do account for both, but clearly there must be some means to account for the fact that the Bible says that both are true.

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mike1reynolds said:
The Biblical arguments are on both sides of the free will vs. predestination debates. Both sides can draw on Biblical support because it is not a case where one or the other is true. They are both true according to the Bible. The Bible doesn't really account for how both could be true at the same time, so I can't provide Biblical support for my specific assertions that do account for both, but clearly there must be some means to account for the fact that the Bible says that both are true.
i disagree that both are true

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mike1reynolds

Knight Errant
Apr 29, 2006
✟4,442.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think that everyone who believes in free will also believes in predestination, especially since open theism is anathema around here, making it virtually guaranteed to be the case. So it would be disbelief in the relevance of free will to salvation that would distinguish your views from other denominations. Salvation by faith alone is clearly contradicted by Matthew 7:21-23, but the anti-free will argument generally rests on asserting that works will follow automatically from true salvation. This seems to me to deny that you must work to earn favor with God just as Jesus did:[bible]Luke 2:52[/bible]

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mike1reynolds said:
I think that everyone who believes in free will also believes in predestination, especially since open theism is anathema around here, making it virtually guaranteed to be the case. So it would be disbelief in the relevance of free will to salvation that would distinguish your views from other denominations. Salvation by faith alone is clearly contradicted by Matthew 7:21-23, but the anti-free will argument generally rests on asserting that works will follow automatically from true salvation. This seems to me to deny that you must work to earn favor with God just as Jesus did:[bible]Luke 2:52[/bible]
The only thing that is explicitly stated in Matthew 7:21-23 is that they have faith in Jesus' power. This is not the faith in Christ the bible mentions.

Still, what exactly do you mean by free will?

Upvote 0

mike1reynolds

Knight Errant
Apr 29, 2006
✟4,442.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
JonF said:
The only thing that is explicitly stated in Matthew 7:21-23 is that they have faith in Jesus' power. This is not the faith in Christ the bible mentions.
He doesn't say that faith is lacking in these people, He specifically says that they didn't do God's will. Faith is a state of mind, not an action.[bible]Matthew 7:21[/bible]

JonF said:
Still, what exactly do you mean by free will?
That you can not only earn favor with God, but disfavor. You have to be constantly vigilant with yourself in order to keep in God’s favor. Unless one is sinless we must always be on guard for when we might stray and fall short in thoughtfulness and selflessness. If you stray from this knowing what the stakes are then the consequences are harsher than if you stray from this as an unbeliever, but even many unbelievers do not stray from this, so it must be required of believers.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.