Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christian philosophy is first, not philosophy. One can be an agnostic with Christian philosophy and not believe in God or the Trinity. We have seen this in other followings, I will not name such for it is against CF rules, as the trend to more of a less judgemental and traditional God is often taking over the morals and ethics of today.

Many see Christ as a figurehead of Christian beliefs but dismiss Christ as just a good teacher, rather than our Savior. Many regard the Bible as just a book of good stories and perhaps some comfort.

Christian philosophy never takes the place of understanding the Bible, with study and prayer. This is crucial; too many books have been written on Christian philosophy without the basic belief of believing in Jesus Christ as our Savior as their basis.

Believing in Jesus as our Savior, I believe, keeps us ethical as we study His words. Our Lord and Savior taught us well; it is all in the Bible. We need to love one another as ourselves, we need to not just follow the Ten Commandments but must be better people for everyone, and we must be honest, fair, true, and understanding, which is the beginning of ethics.

As we practice the ethics we learn, it brings us closer in our walk with God and our Savior, Jesus Christ, and by our walk in faith, we can be an example for those who perhaps are needing a path, wisdom, and guidance.

That brings us closer to those who need, and that in turn brings them understanding and onto their own path to the Lord and Our Savior.

I am sorry to babble. God bless you all and thank you for listening.

All good things
Emmy

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christian philosophy is first, not philosophy. One can be an agnostic with Christian philosophy and not believe in God or the Trinity. We have seen this in other followings, I will not name such for it is against CF rules, as the trend to more of a less judgemental and traditional God is often taking over the morals and ethics of today.

Many see Christ as a figurehead of Christian beliefs but dismiss Christ as just a good teacher, rather than our Savior. Many regard the Bible as just a book of good stories and perhaps some comfort.

Christian philosophy never takes the place of understanding the Bible, with study and prayer. This is crucial; too many books have been written on Christian philosophy without the basic belief of believing in Jesus Christ as our Savior as their basis.

Believing in Jesus as our Savior, I believe, keeps us ethical as we study His words. Our Lord and Savior taught us well; it is all in the Bible. We need to love one another as ourselves, we need to not just follow the Ten Commandments but must be better people for everyone, and we must be honest, fair, true, and understanding, which is the beginning of ethics.

As we practice the ethics we learn, it brings us closer in our walk with God and our Savior, Jesus Christ, and by our walk in faith, we can be an example for those who perhaps are needing a path, wisdom, and guidance.

That brings us closer to those who need, and that in turn brings them understanding and onto their own path to the Lord and Our Savior.

All good things
Emmy

Hi Emma,

Could you tell me from where you've taken your understanding about "Christian Philosophy"? I ask because I am a Christian and a philosopher ...

Thanks,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

All good things
Emmy
I too am hoping you can expand on what you mean by Christian philosophy. My take is that there are various philosophies that are useful for Christians. Platonism has been used to some effect. Aristotle has made some more sense, particularly as expanded by Thomas. Phenomenology works to a degree. I'm not sure the philosophy of Hegel is useful but I could be surprised I guess.

Everyone has a philosophy of some sort, be it a good one, an adequate one, or a less than adequate one. Philosophy aids us in understanding the world if it's a good one, or in obscuring the world if it's a bad one. But it's just a tool to me, a way of seeing. Not a replacement for faith but how to go about seeking understanding once one has faith.

I wonder if you see Christian philosophy mostly as Ethics. I would see Ethics as only a part of philosophy, and that only as a useful tool in pursuing Moral Theology.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that it is hard to separate christian philosophy from being a christian because when you depend on something like "Jesus is my Lord and savior" you leave a ton of room for that being a meaningless phrase and it can become an excuse for your sin and state of being.

"all men are created equal" was a rather hypocritical thing for the USA to declare seeing that back then slaves existed and women were not treated equal to males even though they are also humans. therefore mere declarations are sometimes a trick of evil people to make themselves feel justified and righteous.

it is true that there are other important elements to Christianity such as theology.

someone who says they don't believe in Christ and yet follows a christ-philosophy is probably in a better spiritual condition than someone who believes in Jesus but does not do what he says.

Upvote 0