Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I owe you a clarification. We made the text below after some research specially for you. No, really. There was some interest in these forums and I answered something from top of my head.
Now you have a (more) complete overview about Philokalia:

Philokalia: Definition, History, and Source

Enjoy!

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I owe you a clarification. We made the text below after some research specially for you. No, really. There was some interest in these forums and I answered something from top of my head.
Now you have a (more) complete overview about Philokalia:

Philokalia: Definition, History, and Source

Enjoy!
Thank you. Quite interesting and informative.

Reactions: JohnTh
Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
wow, thank you. This is really interesting information, and the photos are great. Thanks for taking the time to look into this! :)

I need to learn Greek... those manuscripts look amazing

You're welcome! :)

Indeed they look amazing. Other times, other values. They did what they did for eternity.

Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember seeing a digital scan of the Greek Philokalia. It wasn't enough to know Greek in order to read it as the text also utilised a fair number of short hand symbols. If all you knew was the alphabet, it made it really confusing to try and read.

I gave up as my level of Greek was pretty basic at the time.

Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I remember seeing a digital scan of the Greek Philokalia. It wasn't enough to know Greek in order to read it as the text also utilised a fair number of short hand symbols. If all you knew was the alphabet, it made it really confusing to try and read.

Also, the „Greek” which is in there is very difficult to read for most authors (katharevousa). There are several iterations of Greek languages during history.

Upvote 0