Mar 2, 2013
✟290,034.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If they need govt support to operate, then the govt participation must fall within the bounds prescribed by the constitution. If they want to venture out and reject gays of black or whoever, then they are on their own.
The Supreme court says you're wrong and they are not violating the constitution.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,034.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you there. But thats not carved in stone. I'm sure you think the supreme court has gotten things wrong before.
They have, but I don't consider the court from the perspective someone who believes in the American system. Quite the opposite actually. I'm more concerned about the long term benefits or negative effects of decisions in the USA. This will at least allow Christians to work publicly and not be completely depowered in the USA.

This will of course weaken the left, who wants homosexuals and LGBT to be integrated into every aspect of American society. They cannot tolerate dissent on this point so of course they're not happy they've lost. This gives Christians some power still in society.

Still, this was a 9-0 decision, not a 5-4. Evidently religious organizations are allowed to be funded and run on their own religious standards, rather than the state's contra to what you and others have said here. The main argument on the opponents part is that discrimination is bad, period. Yet that is not self-evident nor can one say discrimination is always bad.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They have, but I don't consider the court from the perspective someone who believes in the American system. Quite the opposite actually. I'm more concerned about the long term benefits or negative effects of decisions in the USA. This will at least allow Christians to work publicly and not be completely depowered in the USA.

This will of course weaken the left, who wants homosexuals and LGBT to be integrated into every aspect of American society. They cannot tolerate dissent on this point so of course they're not happy they've lost. This gives Christians some power still in society.

Still, this was a 9-0 decision, not a 5-4. Evidently religious organizations are allowed to be funded and run on their own religious standards, rather than the state's contra to what you and others have said here. The main argument on the opponents part is that discrimination is bad, period. Yet that is not self-evident nor can one say discrimination is always bad.
Its not about discrimination-bad (or good). Its about discrimination-illegal, and groups getting a pass because religion.

I dont know what the govt is doing funding religious groups anyway. Religions should do their own thing.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Its not about discrimination-bad (or good). Its about discrimination-illegal, and groups getting a pass because religion.

I dont know what the govt is doing funding religious groups anyway. Religions should do their own thing.

They aren't funding the religious groups religious activities, just the adoption agency, which makes this sort of thing all the more problematic. Religious groups shouldn't get a free pass to conduct discrimination and get paid for it with our tax dollars.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholics can do as they want as long as they don’t do it on my dime. They want to prohibit certain people from adopting children, they can absolutely go for it, they shouldn’t demand my money help them do it.
Why should other agencies that foster to people I don't agree with get help with my tax dollars?
It seems to me this is such as easy solution with tax dollars going to all sides.

• Agree
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Why should other agencies that foster to people I don't agree with get help with my tax dollars?
It seems to me this is such as easy solution with tax dollars going to all sides.

We all put our tax money in, we all get to use their services. I don’t want the foster agency to discriminate against anyone. I think it is harmful to bring up children in the Christian religion but I’m not seeking to make foster agencies to discriminate against Christians.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We all put our tax money in, we all get to use their services. I don’t want the foster agency to discriminate against anyone. I think it is harmful to bring up children in the Christian religion but I’m not seeking to make foster agencies to discriminate against Christians.
There are foster agencies that will foster to same-sex couples and they are government financed as well. I don't have any problem with them receiving tax dollars even though I don't agree with their rules. Because I don't agree with fostering to same-sex couples should I be fighting against them getting funding?

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Gays and trans people don't have a right to make Catholic charity services give them foster children.
Which is no longer an issue as they no longer have the contract with the city to do so.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,034.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Of course!

How else would one choose a wine? Or friends?
Those are good examples of discrimination being perfectly acceptable. For instance, many liberals don't want to associate with traditionalists because of value differences. Why should they be thought of as bad for doing so?

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Those are good examples of discrimination being perfectly acceptable. For instance, many liberals don't want to associate with traditionalists because of value differences. Why should they be thought of as bad for doing so?
That's really sad if all one can be around is an echo chamber of one's own perspective, choosing to eliminate people who don't see issues the same or have different faith beliefs.

Most of us have family and friends all over the spectrum of beliefs in many things, and anyone capable of humanity can easily interact with all on a friendly and rational basis. At least those of us old enough to still have social skills and not believe we can only be around people exactly like us can do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,034.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's really sad if all one can be around is an echo chamber of one's own perspective, choosing to eliminate people who don't see issues the same or have different faith beliefs.

Most of us have family and friends all over the spectrum of beliefs in many things, and anyone capable of humanity can easily interact with all on a friendly and rational basis. At least those of us old enough to still have social skills and not believe we can only be around people exactly like us can do it.

When it comes to family I agree, the family bond should be kept, as much as possible, though there are limits to what even families will accept. Families will have standards and to break those standards is to set oneself apart from the family. A Christian family might not acknowledge their gay son's decision to 'marry' another man and cut ties off from him. This probably isn't out of malice for their son but a commitment to Christian sexual standards. They place the priority of Christianity, loyalty to Christ, higher than family commitments. Which is a perfectly Christian thing to do, encouraged by Jesus.

Liberals in the same manner, prefer to be inclusive towards anti-traditional groups and people. Otherkin, Trans, Homosexuals, all of these are more likely to be accepted as good companions for the liberal.

So I don't get your aversion to being in an 'echo chamber'. Most people are not critical thinkers, most people will deliberately seek similar company that will reaffirm their convictions or that they at least feel comfortable around. You can point out the negative aspects of it, but there are good aspects too it, namely community solidarity and a sense of kinship.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Thankfully there are no laws at all impinging on my personal discrimination regarding friends.

But for the marketplace, we've decided that we've got good reasons not to tolerate various types of discrimination.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Discrimination is not necessarily bad.
Discrimination is the prejudicial or disadvantageous treatment of an individual based on his or her membership - or perceived membership - in of a minority. Discrimination restricts members of a minority group from opportunities or privileges that are available to the majority group, leading to the exclusion of the individual based on minority membership and not on an individual’s behavior or character.

So, yeah it is always bad.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,034.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thankfully there are no laws at all impinging on my personal discrimination regarding friends.

But for the marketplace, we've decided that we've got good reasons not to tolerate various types of discrimination.

Except towards people who wish to express themselves via their work. For instance, an artist who takes commissions should be unable to refuse any request from an LGBT person, right? Especially if he is personally opposed to it, right?

Upvote 0