Los Angeles Area
✟827,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A federal appeals court ruled Monday that the city of Philadelphia can sever its contract with a Catholic foster care agency that refuses to place children with same-sex couples.

In its opinion, a three-judge panel of the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals at Philadelphia held that Catholic Social Services’ religious beliefs do not entitle it to an exception from the city’s nondiscrimination policy. The Philadelphia Inquirer, NPR and Courthouse News Service have coverage.

“The city stands on firm ground in requiring its contractors to abide by its nondiscrimination policies when administering public services,” Judge Thomas Ambro wrote in the opinion.

“While CSS may assert that the city’s actions were not driven by a sincere commitment to equality but rather by anti-religious and anti-Catholic bias … the current record does not show religious persecution or bias,” Ambro said. “Instead it shows so far the city’s good faith in its effort to enforce its laws against discrimination.”

---

Important to note how the judges are distinguishing this from 'the' cake case. There, the cakeshop won because the local government commission acted in a biased way - the court did not really rule on whether religious objections generally trump the government's legitimate interest in opposing discrimination.

1000Flames

Gloria Perpetua
Jul 27, 2011
USA
✟108,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's a sad day when an adoption agency is shut down for recognizing natural law and choosing not to serve the gods of "social justice".
If a religious entity wants to contract with the state, then it has to follow state rules. It really is that simple. Dont like the state rules? Then don't contract with the state.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
If a religious entity wants to contract with the state, then it has to follow state rules. It really is that simple. Dont like the state rules? Then don't contract with the state.
Perhaps I expect too much of the State. They're perfectly within their rights to tell an adoption agency, "Some people are owed children", even though natural law says otherwise.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

1000Flames

Gloria Perpetua
Jul 27, 2011
USA
✟108,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps I expect too much of the State. They're perfectly within their rights to tell an adoption agency, "Some people are owed children", even though natural law says otherwise.
"Some people are owed equal rights"

Try that one. "Natural law" is completely irrelevant to this whole discussion.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

Now you reduce children to the level of property. I thought we fought a war over this? Human beings are not property, and they are not owed to anyone. Raising a child that's not your own is not a "right" but a privilege.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Just think if the shoe was on the other foot and an adoption agency refused adoption to Christian couples (for whatever reason). There would be endless cries of an injustice against Christians.

"The injustice you allow against others will become injustice that comes against you." - Leonard Peltier

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Just think if the shoe was on the other foot and an adoption agency refused adoption to Christian couples (for whatever reason). There would be endless cries of persecution against Christians.

"The injustice you allow against others will become injustice that comes against you." - Leonard Peltier
Canada says "hold my beer".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1000Flames

Gloria Perpetua
Jul 27, 2011
USA
✟108,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Now you reduce children to the level of property. I thought we fought a war over this? Human beings are not property, and they are not owed to anyone. Raising a child that's not your own is not a "right" but a privilege.
Correct, it is a privelege. A privelege all adults have access to, including the gay ones. Crazy I know.

Once again, state contract, state rules. State rules do change, so when they do, the contract doesn't have to be renewed. Simple.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's a sad day when an adoption agency is shut down for recognizing natural law and choosing not to serve the gods of "social justice".
Natural law? Come on, imagine how much chaos it would cause if people just got to make up reasons like that to ignore the actual law.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Correct, it is a privelege. A privelege all adults have access to, including the gay ones. Crazy I know.

Once again, state contract, state rules. State rules do change, so when they do, the contract doesn't have to be renewed. Simple.

Yeah, go figure that in a nation supposedly founded on freedom, liberty and justice for all that LGBT American citizens would have the same civil rights and equality as every other American citizen.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is truly a sad day when the rights of the majority are suppressed to give special privileges to a small minority. Hopefully the President steps in and reverses this horrible decision.

So much for his presidential campaign promise to represent and serve all Americans. It's too bad he's conveniently forsaken his long held liberal views on LGBT rights to appease his conservative base and he's repeatedly broken his campaign promises to preserve and protect LGBT rights.

Donald Trump's past statements about LGBT rights

Donald Trump Says Transgender People Should Use the Bathroom They Want

"Thank you to the LGBT community! I will fight for you while Hillary brings in more people that will threaten your freedoms and beliefs," he wrote in a June 14, 2016, tweet.

Trump Vows to Protect LGBTQ Citizens

Donald Trump Waves LGBT Rainbow Flag at Colorado Rally

Making GOP history, Trump vows to protect LGBT community

Donald Trump’s “support” of LGBT communities in one image

Trump vows to keep Obama-era protection for LGBT federal workers

300880_31d53969ad8857d2849830205193e0e5.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Natural law? Come on, imagine how much chaos it would cause if people just got to make up reasons like that to ignore the actual law.

There's no reason why Christians or any other religious people should be given preferential treatment and be allowed to use their religious beliefs as an excuse to discriminate against LGBT Americans.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,781.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Now you reduce children to the level of property. I thought we fought a war over this?
You fought a war over adopting children?

Which one was that? I believe you, I just don't know which of the dozens of wars the US fought was about adoption rights.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad there are laws to protect LGBT American citizens from religious based discrimination.
I think the laws should be written in the best interest of the people they most effect, in this instance that would be in the best interest of the child, not the desires of the adult perspective parents.

If there were two couples wanting to adopt a Native American child. One couple in NA the other couple is non-NA.
Which couple do you think should be chosen to adopted the child, keeping in mind the best interest of the child?

Upvote 0

1000Flames

Gloria Perpetua
Jul 27, 2011
USA
✟108,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the laws should be written in the best interest of the people they most effect, in this instance that would be in the best interest of the child, not the desires of the adult perspective parents.

If there were two couples wanting to adopt a Native American child. One couple in NA the other couple is non-NA.
Which couple do you think should be chosen to adopted the child, keeping in mind the best interest of the child?
In your scenario, the non-NA actually has a chance to be picked to begin with. They can adopt if there isn't an NA and they pass the vetting process.

Before, LGBT couldn't even apply to begin with no matter how qualified they were. Big difference.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

It's their choice whether they accept public money or not, and the public has every right to decide how that money is distributed.

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0