Philadelphia mayor disqualifies Mummers group after two members wore blackface

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Philadelphia mayor disqualifies Mummers group after two members wore blackface
Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney has disqualified a mummers group after at least two members wore blackface paint to the city's annual Mummers parade on New Year's Day.

CNN affiliate KYW interviewed two of the men in blackface who said they were dressed as Philadelphia Flyers' mascot Gritty, the group's theme.

"It has nothing to do about being racist to the black person or the white person or the yellow person. Whatever. It's our tradition," one man told the station.

Gritty is orange, not black...

eik

Dec 29, 2019
Hampshire
✟9,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We don't know what colour his skin is, as it is all covered with orange hair. However as the inside of his mouth is black, it could be construed that he also has black skin.

Be that as it may, according to NBC10 Philadelphia, the lone individual, Hinkle, confirmed to have used blackface said this: "I don’t do this a lot. My friend, he passed away. He wore blackface, so I’m doing this for him. I’ll be done with it after this year. But we ain’t racist and we don’t look for trouble."

Do you reckon this African tribeswoman is racist too?

Attachments

• whiteface+on+green+copy.jpg
    whiteface+on+green+copy.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
We don't know what colour his skin is, as it is all covered with orange hair. However as the inside of his mouth is black, it could be construed that he also has black skin.

Be that as it may, according to NBC10 Philadelphia, the lone individual, Hinkle, confirmed to have used blackface said this: "I don’t do this a lot. My friend, he passed away. He wore blackface, so I’m doing this for him. I’ll be done with it after this year. But we ain’t racist and we don’t look for trouble."

Do you reckon this African tribeswoman is racist too?
Yet another attempt to pretend racism isn't racism. In the context of their costume theme attempting to be "gangsta" and other references, blackface as a method to lampoon African Americans is evident.

A person covered in mud is not whiteface, and is also not the topic of this discussion. The men in this parade were being racist.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Every year there's some. The Mummers have a long, storied, tradition of racism, sexism, and homophobia, particularly with the comics. When my wife first came to Philadelphia, she joined a string band. When we started dating, I helped out on the crew for the big string band performance in Atlantic City. Whhooooo boy was that a kinda jarring experience. Lots of casual racism, etc going on in the staging area. Several of the shows themselves were bordering the line of racism. As I recall, the introduction to my wife's group's Chinese themed show was "Emperor Won-ton was traverring up the Chop Stick river...."

She got tired of dealing with their attitude and quit. Shortly after, it was big news that one of the string bands that hers did a lot of events with was running a literal brothel out of their club house.

• Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
  • Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Every year there's some. The Mummers have a long, storied, tradition of racism, sexism, and homophobia, particularly with the comics. When my wife first came to Philadelphia, she joined a string band. When we started dating, I helped out on the crew for the big string band performance in Atlantic City. Whhooooo boy was that a kinda jarring experience. Lots of casual racism, etc going on in the staging area. Several of the shows themselves were bordering the line of racism. As I recall, the introduction to my wife's group's Chinese themed show was "Emperor Won-ton was traverring up the Chop Stick river...."

She got tired of dealing with their attitude and quit. Shortly after, it was big news that one of the string bands that hers did a lot of events with was running a literal brothel out of their club house.

What's a string band?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's a string band?
The mummers are broken up into several divisions: comics, fancies, string bands, and I forget the name of the other one (I may also be missing one).

The comics are big groups that just dress up as some theme. They don't perform, they just parade. This group has a pretty long history of racism, and the city has been cracking down on it.

The fancies are individuals who dress up in very elaborate costumes (often requiring a scaffold on casters) and parade down the street.

String bands are large groups that perform a song and dance routine with elaborate costumes and mobile set pieces. They are allowed to use a limited set of instruments - banjos being the primary instrument.

The other group that I can't remember put on even more elaborate dance routines with even more elaborate sets & costumes. So elaborate, that they are not part of the parade. They perform later in one venue. They do not play their own music.

Edit: wenches is another group. IIRC, they are like the comics, just smaller groups. But don't quote me on that.

Edit 2: fancy brigade is the name of that division that I couldn't recall

Last edited:
Upvote 0