Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
They broke off from Worldwide Church of God.

Man: Man, according to PCOG teaching, is not merely a special creation made in God's image, but is actually an attempt by God to reproduce after his "kind" just as he made the birds and beasts to do.6 Man is already, in a sense, a pre-born deity. The purpose of man is to ultimately be reborn through the resurrection as a fully divine being, a literal child of the heavenly Father and a part of his family as "God." Stephen Flurry, a prominent PGOC leader, writes that "Man’s ultimate potential is to inherit 'all things'— the ENTIRE UNIVERSE! We will inherit all things when we are actually born as members of the God Family.7
Salvation:
Adam, the first man, was given the opportunity to qualify himself to join the God family as a literal Son through
perfect obedience to the divine law
and through overcoming the devil.
Jesus Himself became the first Son in the God Family by fulfilling these requirements, and humans after him must fulfill them as well.
Because of Christ's death, forgiveness of past sins is given to those who repent and surrender to full obedience to the law of God. The necessary gift of the holy spirit is given upon submitting to baptism, after which one is empowered to fulfill the law and produce righteousness, thus qualifying to be reborn as a child of God upon one's future resurrection and become an immortal, divine being and a member of God (which is a family).
Philadelphia Church of God | CARM.org

Last edited by a moderator:

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They broke off from Worldwide Church of God.

Man: Man, according to PCOG teaching, is not merely a special creation made in God's image, but is actually an attempt by God to reproduce after his "kind" just as he made the birds and beasts to do.6 Man is already, in a sense, a pre-born deity. The purpose of man is to ultimately be reborn through the resurrection as a fully divine being, a literal child of the heavenly Father and a part of his family as "God." Stephen Flurry, a prominent PGOC leader, writes that "Man’s ultimate potential is to inherit 'all things'— the ENTIRE UNIVERSE! We will inherit all things when we are actually born as members of the God Family.7
Salvation:
Adam, the first man, was given the opportunity to qualify himself to join the God family as a literal Son through
perfect obedience to the divine law
and through overcoming the devil.
Jesus Himself became the first Son in the God Family by fulfilling these requirements, and humans after him must fulfill them as well.
Because of Christ's death, forgiveness of past sins is given to those who repent and surrender to full obedience to the law of God. The necessary gift of the holy spirit is given upon submitting to baptism, after which one is empowered to fulfill the law and produce righteousness, thus qualifying to be reborn as a child of God upon one's future resurrection and become an immortal, divine being and a member of God (which is a family).
Philadelphia Church of God | CARM.org
Some what correct, but not well written. That's all right, practice makes perfect.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Some what correct, but not well written. That's all right, practice makes perfect.

Please explain.

(I can't fix the first sentence of Salvation. I've tried multiple times.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
...A turning point in the conflict occurred when the [WCG]church sought to discontinue Armstrong’s book Mystery of the Ages, because of “doctrinal errors.” Many who saw Armstrong’s doctrine as life law, and this book as his crowning achievement, became disillusioned. Gerald Flurry, a minister of the WCG, began writing Malachi’s Message, a book that revealed why the WCG had turned away from its founding traditions established by Herbert W. Armstrong. 41

According to associates of the PCG, once Tkach, Jr. found out about Malachi’s Message, he summoned both Gerald Flurry and John Amos to the WCG headquarters in Pasadena, CA. At this December 7 meeting, Flurry and Amos were told by Tkach, Jr. that the Mystery of the Ages “was riddled with error.” Both were fired and excommunicated from the church. Nine days later, on December 16, 1989, Flurry and Amos held the first official service of the Philadelphia Church of God. 42
Philadelphia Church of God – WRSP

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Please explain.

(I can't fix the first sentence of Salvation. I've tried multiple times.)
Basically people like to see some scriptures so they won't think you are speaking from your heart.

Example:
Psalm 82:6
I said, "You are gods; you are all sons of the Most High.

John 10:33-34
33"We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be [a god] God."
34 Yashua answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'? 35If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— 36what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'?

Yahshua was asked if he was the Messiah, he was not asked if he was God. It has always been understood that the Messiah would be a god from Heaven.

Hos. 1:10
“Yet the Israelites will be like the sand on the seashore, which cannot be measured or counted. In the place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’ they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, because they will be called sons of God.

Luke 20:36
For they cannot die anymore, because they are like [angels/messengers] and are sons of God, since they are sons of the resurrection.

Galatians 3:26
for you are all sons of God through faith in Messiah Yahshua.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Basically people like to see some scriptures so they won't think you are speaking from your heart.

Do you ignore links? And have you noticed how often I use Bible verses?

Yahshua was asked if he was the Messiah, he was not asked if he was God. It has always been understood that the Messiah would be a god from Heaven.

I'm not sure which false teacher you're following, but there is only one God. Jesus is I AM. There is only one Savior.

Isaiah 43
10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

God is Triune:
1. Acts 10 : 39-40 — God raised Christ from the dead.
2. 1 Thessalonians 1 : 10 — God the Father raised the Son from the dead.
3. Romans 8 : 11 — God the Spirit raised the Son from the dead.
4. John 2 : 19-22 — God the Son raised Himself from the dead.

John 20
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. 29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hmm. Seems kinda Mormon-ish with its (Mormonism's) "Gods in embryo" idea (as quoted from LDS President Marion G Romney here). This kind of misunderstanding of the Christian concept of Theosis (divinization of man through cooperation with God, not fusion with Him/becoming God) seems to be rife in non-Trinitarian cults and sects. It's very strange. They need to read the Cappadocian fathers like St. Basil and St. Gregory Nazianzus, who expounded greatly on this concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There are significant differences between the LDS and the PhilaCofG...

True, but I hadn't known the similarities before. One of my children had become involved in WWCoG.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There are significant differences between the LDS and the PhilaCofG, but what about the other half-dozen (at least) functioning successors to the WWCoG, such as the Living CofG, the United CofG, and so on? Any comments about them. Just asking.
As far as I know once having attended that original church, there are several dozens of off shoots. I would include the Continuing CoG as one of the more influential churches in their ranks. It does the most thorough job of keeping track of their doctrinal differences to date.
Church of God Links Listing of Various Churches of God

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status