Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jehovah had been stiffening Pharaoh's resolve off and on during their confrontation over Moses' people leaving Egypt.

Well; the intermissions wherein God allowed Pharaoh time to think about what he was doing were done; it was time to die and just to make sure Pharaoh didn't escape the grim reaper; Jehovah stiffened the monarch's resolve one final time.

Ex 14:1-4 . . Jehovah spoke to Moses, saying: Tell the sons of Israel to turn back and camp before Pi-hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea; you shall camp in front of Baal-zephon, opposite it, by the sea.

. . . For Pharaoh will say of the sons of Israel "They are wandering aimlessly in the land; the wilderness has shut them in." Thus I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and he will chase after them; and I will be honored through Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am Jehovah.

The name "Jehovah" a.k.a. Yahweh, has a special connotation to it. It's not really a moniker, it's more like a descriptor that has something to do with knights in shining armor (so to speak) i.e. rescuers, redeemers providers, and protectors.

Well; it's about to finally sink into the thick skulls of Mr. Pharaoh and his minions that the god they've been toying with is far stronger than any of them ever imagined.

Long story short: Jehovah stiffened Pharaoh's resolve; so he saddled up and gave chase and caught up to the fleeing Israelites and when he came up behind them into the parted Red Sea, the waters closed in and drowned the whole lot of them.

This incident is said to be a baptism (1Cor 10:1-2) which is very interesting because none of Moses' people got wet; not even any of their shoes.

Ex 14:29 . . But the sons of Israel walked on dry land through the midst of the sea, and the waters were like a wall to them on their right hand and on their left.

FYI: Critics are prone to complain that hardening Pharaoh just to give Jehovah an opportunity to drown the poor man in the Red Sea and thus prove he was no match for Jehovah's superior strength, was cruel and unfair. Well; I must admit that it seems that way to me too. However; I'm only human and so are Jehovah's critics.

When Adam tasted the forbidden fruit, he and his wife obtained an intuitive sense of right and wrong (Gen 3:22). Unfortunately, the sense they obtained was unreliable due to the fact that it was a product of the Serpent's handiwork instead of their divine benefactor's.

The Serpent-- a.k.a. the Devil/Satan (Rev 12:9) --has the power of death (Heb 2:14) and the ability to tamper with the human body and the human mind in ways not easily detected; e.g. Luke 13:16, Mark 5:1-5, and Eph 2:2.

That explains why God is commonly perceived making mistakes and/or acting like a demented fiend; and also why, try as it might, the human mind cannot make sense of some of the things that God does. The old saw "God moves in mysterious ways His wonders to perform" certainly holds true in quite a few incidents recorded in the Bible.
_

Last edited: