• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Pews at your church?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Dorothea, Aug 19, 2007.

Do you have pews in your church?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Just a few chairs on the sides of the Nave

4. Rows of chairs, not pews

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+2,382
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Divorced
    US-Others
    Does your church have pews?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Khaleas

Khaleas Also known as Jenn the Finn :)

+331
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Republican
    Yes and only because they are so bolted into the floor that we would have to change the floor too and there is no money for such...
    It was originally a Methodist church so the pews were not put in by our parish.

3. SeraphimSarov

SeraphimSarov Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...

+584
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    We've got some chairs on the side... I don't like them there, but it's not my call.

4. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+998
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I don't mind having chairs (or benches) available. It would be very uncharitable to expect everyone to stand all the time.

In our choir area, we have little stools we can pull out to sit on as needed. I have flat feet, so no matter what kind of shoes I wear, my feet end up hurting at some point. It's nice to be able to sit sometimes.

Mary

5. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+925
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    I don't like pews. Yet people do get old and pregnant.

Chairs and benches on the side work.

6. Tsarina

Tsarina Most Holy Theotokos save us!

+180
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    My Church is full of pews, you can't even move.. it's disgusting, i hate pews!

7. ByzantineDixie

ByzantineDixie Handmaid of God, Mary

+143
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    We have pews...and they were deliberately installed when the chapel was built. OK by me except during weekday Lenten services. We all have to make a mad dash to the aisles to do our prostrations. It looks like everyone getting reading to do exercises.

When one is 25 and in good health there is no need for seating. When one becomes older and/or suffers from health issues it is a good thing when seating is available. Most people figure this out when they are no longer young. ;)

8. Dust and Ashes

Dust and Ashes wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked

+321
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    No, we just have some benches along the wall.

9. nikostheater

nikostheater Regular Member

+26
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    We hace rows of chairs..

10. Protoevangel

Protoevangel Smash the Patriarchy!

+1,166
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    We have pews at my church. I hate the pews, they just get in the way. There is an OCA church that I like to visit that has chairs along the walls. I really prefer that set-up. Enough chairs for those who need them, and the rest sit on the floor during the sermon.

11. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+3,943
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Pews are not really compatible with Orthodoxy. :cool:

Those of you in America just have to put up with them sometimes, I guess! :)

12. AureateDawn

AureateDawn Love & Peace

+129
    Other Religion
    Single
    Yes, the Greek church I will be attending here and there has pews.

13. Tsarina

Tsarina Most Holy Theotokos save us!

+180
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    :amen:

14. Oblio

Oblio Creed or Chaos

+830
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Chairs on the side in the back 1/3 of the Nave. We hope to replace them with benches, much better for setting coats & sippy cups on them, plus they have storage space which a traditional temple is fairly short of. I'm not sure how one can practically do without some seating. Even if you are in a cradle area with no 'visitors' not used to standing for 90+ minutes (does anyone really want that to be a stumbling block ?) there will still be a need for the old, infirm, mothers(to be)/children to have a place to sit. Even Mt. Athos has chairs :)

15. Oblio

Oblio Creed or Chaos

+830
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I DO hate pews :sick:

16. kamikat

kamikat my love is bigger than a cadillac

+332
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    We have pews and I don't mind them.

17. Monica child of God 1

Monica child of God 1 strives to live eschatologically

+670
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    We have a bench at the back and some chairs around the perimeter. I am glad that we have some seating because there are folks who really do need to have a seat. Also, there are portions of services that we are allowed to sit through like the kathisma psalms. Kathisma implies being allowed to sit, just as akathist means we stand.

I prefer a pew-free church overall but it does not keep me from visiting churches with pews especially for services that we don't have like the paraklesis.

M.

18. hungrytiger

hungrytiger I don't know what I'm talking about.

+50
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    We have pews along the sides and the back and a few chairs. I'm glad I'm able to sit when I need to, though I may go too easy on myself at times, I don't know.

19. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+2,382
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Divorced
    US-Others
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I remember discussing pews in another thread, but it wasn't about them, so I decided to make a thread on this because I was surprised at how many of the churches you all attend don't have pews! LOL Every Greek Orthodox Church I've attended has rows of pews and built-in kneelers that flip down when it's time to kneel. St. George's Greek Orthodox Church in Shreveport, LA, Sts Markella and Demetrios in Ft. Walton Beach, FL, The Assumption in Dayton, OH, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Spokane, WA, and now my current Church: Archangel Michael Greek Orthodox Church in Colorado Springs. All have pews, and so I expect to see pews! :D I like them. I haven't been in a church that doesn't have them, believe it or not, so it would be very different and would take acclimating to a church with no pews for me. Whew. I still can't believe I and a few others are the only ones that have pews!!!

eta: We stand, sit, and kneel in our church (and all the ones I've been to listed above), so there are times when one sits: like during the Epistle reading and some of the basic prayers the priest does, and during his homily. We stand for the rest of the service, and kneel once during the service.

20. Akathist

Akathist Theology Team Supporter

+692
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    A year ago Pascha we removed the pews from our parish and installed some rugs. (I voted chairs on the side as the poll didn't have room for a couple pews on the side. We have four pews two on each side and a few chairs here and there as needed.)

It is so much better (IMO) without pews. I no longer bang my head on anything for one thing! Doing prostrations is also easier. But the very best thing is that the kids are less fussy. They are much more comfortable moving on the floor from Mom to Dad, to someone else.

I grew up in Protestant Churches with pews and only went to one that had chairs. I never would have imagined that I would prefer a pewless Church but I sure do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.