Peter's law

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Peter, in explaining his vision, does so with a qualifer...

Acts 10:28And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

I have looked for this law.. I can not find it. Have you?

Reactions: psalms 91

zaksmummy

Jul 6, 2007
Chesterfield
✟10,866.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
My understanding is that it is oral Torah. To prevent a Jewish person from being contaminated by food offered to idols it was fenced that a Jew should not even eat with gentiles, unless the food was prepared under direct Jewish supervision.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do I check out Avodah Zarah in the Mishnah? I am confused what about "athemitos"?

The Mishnah is part of the Talmud, the Avodah Zarah is a section on idolatry.

'Athemitos' is the Greek word translated into English as 'unlawful'. It does not mean against the Torah, but is as zaks mummy said, a part of the Oral Law.

Here's a bit from a writing on this subject:

Several biblical, and postbiblical texts issue warnings against too close contact with Gentiles, a situation that might lead to apostasy and to deeds that would generate moral impurity among Jews. That some Jews considered other Jews to be “idolators” because of their involvement with Gentiles is suggested from the Tosefta (t. Avodah Zarah 4:6)

Upvote 0

dvd_holc

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
Arkansas
✟12,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I own a Mishnah. I once sat down and read the idolatry section. I cannot remember everything...but one thing that suck with me was a verse that said a person should not touch a one way road that lead to a Gentile city if the it was a week around a Gentile holiday. This was a parapharsing...but that really nailed home to me how far apart the fence could be.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I read the excerpt and care away with the impression that the author thinks that most of the writings of the Rabbis were from the Roman times rather than from Babylonian captivity. In this I am confused, as I understand that the Talmus especially the Babylonian one was writting during the Babylonian captivity and not Roman times. So I guess I am going to have to ask.. when was this traditional law of separation a law amonst the Jews?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think you are thinking of the Babylonian Talmud, there are two. He is speaking of the Yerushalimi Talmud (Jerusalem) when they were in the land. :)

The Jerusalem Talmud came first from 2nd century notes written in the land around 400 CE. The Babylonian Talmud came about 200 years later.

The Babylonian Talmud was written way after the Babylonian Captivity. It is called the Bablylonian Talmud because it was written in Babylon in the 5th century CE.

Upvote 0

dvd_holc

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
Arkansas
✟12,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since you have the Mishnah.. did you run into anything specific that would indicate that Peter understood correctly the Mishnah oral law on this matter.
I am in the middle of a move from my old house to new house...so everything is packed up. It will be a little while before I can respond.

Upvote 0

Desert Rose

Sep 1, 2009
✟9,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Peter, in explaining his vision, does so with a qualifer...
Acts 10:28And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
I have looked for this law.. I can not find it. Have you?

:DAre you in States? If you have a (more or less religious) jewish friend from, lets say, Brooklyn, an unmarried girl, ask her to place a prank call to her parents informing them that she has, supposedly,met and getting married to a nice gentile boy. Put it on speaker,you will learn more than you ever wanted about why "a Jew shouldnt have kept company with those dirty goyim -see where it eventually leads?:doh:our mother is going to have a heart attack here,That is what we get for sacrificing to raise you well! Glad your grandma is dead and enjoying heaven and no seeing this-o wish i was not to hear those news!..." etc half hour worth of perfect rationale why its a law.

My parents dotn speak english in everyday life or conversations with me or i would offer my services.

Seriously, that's , i thought, was, while disgusting, but a well known thing. good old Judaism is, bless it, the most racist religion in the world. i mean "Gentile dogs?" worse then pigs? the mentality was ,sadly, close to one of our Arabic brothers-from-the-same-Father( abraham).

i can bring enough links to TONS of rabbinical nonsense on " stay away like you stay away from any other sin- being close will make you do things like one of them and finally become them". Its a sad part of religion we, as secular society, hopefully for the most part overcame. And decent Jews overcame it. We are not what we used to be.Praised be the One.

PS this is a nice forum. I can imagine a few places where people would virtually be crusifying Jews by now on this thread. Nobody came up with Protocols, Hikkoth Akum X1 and other incendiary stuff:blush:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know this is an old thread but the question visionary asked so long ago has stuck with me. It came to remembrance when I read this today,

Mark 2:15 And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him.
16 And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?

Matthew 9- 11And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?

Luke 5:29
And Levi made him a great feast in his own house: and there was a great company of publicans and of others that sat down with them. 30 But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I know this is an old thread but the question visionary asked so long ago has stuck with me. It came to remembrance when I read this today,

Mark 2:15 And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him.
16 And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?

Matthew 9- 11And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?

Luke 5:29
And Levi made him a great feast in his own house: and there was a great company of publicans and of others that sat down with them. 30 But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?
Thanks for remembering

• Friendly
Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums