✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some on CF want to relegate Pauls writings as some lesser inspiration.​

Take note that Peter confirms Pauls writing as Scripture.

We are to be in submission to Pauls words as given by God.

Final Words​

2 Peter 3
14 ... be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. 15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, 16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. 17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. 18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,751.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I doubt whether Peter's definition of "Scripture" would equate with our own.

When we say "Scripture" we think of the Bible (although that can vary between Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox).

But in Peter's day the "Bible" didn't exist. I think his definition of "Scripture" would not be as dogmatically defined as ours. I suspect it would have more closely described as a "tradition" and a Jewish one at that. He was Jewish.

He wrote two short books himself, I and II Peter. Would he have personally described them as "Scripture" or did somebody else make that decision?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But in Peter's day the "Bible" didn't exist.

The Old Testament existed.
You can find Jesus reading it in a synagogue the day He proclaimed He was starting His ministry as their Messiah.

Also, Peter said that many wrestle with Paul's letters "as they do with the OTHER Scriptures"

See that?
Peter just confirmed that Paul's letters are equal to the TORAH, (The Old Testament).
And he's right, as Paul's letters became Church doctrine and most of the NT epistles.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Some on CF want to relegate Pauls writings as some lesser inspiration.​

Take note that Peter confirms Pauls writing as Scripture.

We are to be in submission to Pauls words as given by God.

Final Words​

2 Peter 3
14 ... be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. 15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, 16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. 17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. 18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

This is an important point. By the way, denying the Apostolate of St. Paul is contrary to the ChristianForums statement of faith, which combines that and a few other unobjectionable points with the Nicene Creed, and thus is the best example I have seen of a simple definition of who is a Christian, vs. a member of an heretical sect that claims to be Christian.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I doubt whether Peter's definition of "Scripture" would equate with our own.

When we say "Scripture" we think of the Bible (although that can vary between Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox).

But in Peter's day the "Bible" didn't exist. I think his definition of "Scripture" would not be as dogmatically defined as ours. I suspect it would have more closely described as a "tradition" and a Jewish one at that. He was Jewish.

He wrote two short books himself, I and II Peter. Would he have personally described them as "Scripture" or did somebody else make that decision?

John 10...

Jesus said this.

34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? 35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken— 36 do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

Same issue - scripture referred to as authoritative by Jesus.

Upvote 0